Is Chiang Rai Prone To Vehicle Thefts?

nokia

Chiang Rai police shoot motorcycle thief

Chiangmai Mail Report. March 4

Following on information received concerning the theft of motorcycles,

Pol. Maj. Gen. Chamnong Kaewsiri, Chiang Rai Provincial Police commander headed a force of police to check the activities of a gang of thieves who specialized in stealing motorcycles and cars and shipping them across the border into Laos, at Chiang Khong, near Chiang Rai.

The officers lay in ambush behind the Valentine Hotel where the thieves were expected to appear. Three men eventually arrived pushing a Honda motorbike without a license plate from a grove of trees behind the hotel. The officers stopped the men and asked to check the motorbike. Instead of complying with the officers’ request, the three men opened fire on the police, who returned fire to defend themselves, the exchange lasting about ten minutes.

After the noise died down, the police checked the scene and found a body holding a shotgun in his right hand but the other two men had escaped. No police were injured in the shoot-out.

The motorcycle was seized and a ring of motorbike ignition keys were recovered. All the keys belonged to Honda brand motorcycles, but no registration documents were found.

The police knew that this gang was involved with stealing vehicles and shipping them across the Thai border to export them to Laos.

Following on information received concerning the theft of motorcycles,

Pol. Maj. Gen. Chamnong Kaewsiri, Chiang Rai Provincial Police commander headed a force of police to check the activities of a gang of thieves who specialized in stealing motorcycles and cars and shipping them across the border into Laos, at Chiang Khong, near Chiang Rai.

The officers lay in ambush behind the Valentine Hotel where the thieves were expected to appear. Three men eventually arrived pushing a Honda motorbike without a license plate from a grove of trees behind the hotel. The officers stopped the men and asked to check the motorbike. Instead of complying with the officers’ request, the three men opened fire on the police, who returned fire to defend themselves, the exchange lasting about ten minutes.

After the noise died down, the police checked the scene and found a body holding a shotgun in his right hand but the other two men had escaped. No police were injured in the shoot-out.

The motorcycle was seized and a ring of motorbike ignition keys were recovered. All the keys belonged to Honda brand motorcycles, but no registration documents were found.

The police knew that this gang was involved with stealing vehicles and shipping them across the Thai border to export them to Laos.

I think most border provinces have a problem with motorcycle thefts – particularly Honda models. A few years ago - within one month’s time - I had 2 Honda Dreams stolen from the street outside Edison. They simply picked the bike up and put it in the back of a pick up . . . witnessed by several bystanders. At that time, a few of those who “protect and serve” Chiang Rai might have been moonlighting in the export business but more recently a real effort has been made to deal with this problem.

:o Mymechew

Long ago, in prehistoric times before the new millennia, I lived 6 km south of Mae Sai. We took the motorbikes inside at night - a big chain was not enough! Later, here in town, foolishly having afternoon beers, my motorcycle left out on rush-hour Pahonyothin was picked up by the cops - who put it in a pick-up but returned it nicely enough. With my bicycle, the chain now holds the back kitchen door of my wife's place in the hills - I use it only in the day or leave it only where people who know me are about, and hey, no problems! It's old anyway (as is my motorbike...). It's new vehicles the thieves want.

And sturdy mountain bicycles they want too! Judging from the Laotian currency being even weaker than blackmarket Burmese, there's got to be lots of folk looking for funds (and of course others who have them)... judging from reports today elsewhere on thaivisa about bank rates going up and the absurd exchange rates our fearless and immortal leader is saddling with (hey, $5 bills for Mae Sai now are B10 cheaper!), and the distracted focus of politicoes, a slight rise in crime is to be expected (at least until the rains). But overall, it's pretty incredibly safe here. The only place I've lived safer, in Arizona, almost everyone wore loaded guns... :D:D:D:D:o

I think most border provinces have a problem with motorcycle thefts – particularly Honda models. A few years ago - within one month’s time - I had 2 Honda Dreams stolen from the street outside Edison. They simply picked the bike up and put it in the back of a pick up . . . witnessed by several bystanders. At that time, a few of those who “protect and serve” Chiang Rai might have been moonlighting in the export business but more recently a real effort has been made to deal with this problem.

Mymechew, did the insurance compensate you promptly or after a few long months?

Watches out when you drive your car to the border area, drug dealer always look for target vehicle to tag their drugs under the vehicle. Free drugs deliver without the knowledge of the vehicle’s owner.

Any advice for folks driving their new vehicles to CR or Mae Sai? Always keep an eye on the vehicle?

The officers lay in ambush behind the Valentine Hotel where the thieves were expected to appear. Three men eventually arrived pushing a Honda motorbike without a license plate from a grove of trees behind the hotel. The officers stopped the men and asked to check the motorbike.

Valentine Hotel-never heard of- whats the rates. Sure this hotel isn't in Chingmai?? :o

Mymechew, did the insurance compensate you promptly or after a few long months?

Watches out when you drive your car to the border area, drug dealer always look for target vehicle to tag their drugs under the vehicle. Free drugs deliver without the knowledge of the vehicle’s owner.

Any advice for folks driving their new vehicles to CR or Mae Sai? Always keep an eye on the vehicle?

First class insurance covered vehicle that bring stolen.

Bring accused for drugs trafficking you lost your freedom.

Keep your eyes on your vehicle is the best assurance.

I have never read even one report to suggest there is anything realistic to this fear.

Anyone ever hear of a drug smuggling story (not from a 'friend') involving people planting drugs on your car?

I have never read even one report to suggest there is anything realistic to this fear.

Anyone ever hear of a drug smuggling story (not from a 'friend') involving people planting drugs on your car?

Never

Never

Check with your local Thai folks. This drugs planting in car happened to my brother in-law and was spotted by the border police mending the block, luckily he was warned that drugs smuggling of this activities has been around.

Rather be safe than sorry, keep an eye on your vehicle and don't fool around.