Thailanized...

Star Dust

I recently had a very funny conversation with another ex-pat, who, like me, had been in Europe recently, after staying in Thailand for over
10 years without ever leaving the country, except for occasional Visa purposes. We discussed our behavior in our home countries, for the time we had to stay there. I felt more like a foreigner in my own country that I feel like a foreigner while in Thailand. And so did he. I thought to share this funny topic. Have you had a similar experience?

We came to the conclusion that you have stayed in Thailand for too long if…..

1. Every time you get in eye contact with someone you would smile at them, without any reason.

1. Taking off your shoes before entering someone’s home. (Even when it’s snowing)

1. Wondering why there is no ice in your beer.

1. “Wai” people instead of shaking hands when greeting, or saying good bye to them.

1. Not touching people without their permission (especially on the head), or for that matter stepping over their bodies, or legs when necessary.

1. When entering a taxi: a.)asking the driver if he would take you to your desired destination. b.)asking the driver how much the fare would be.

1. Wondering why traffic would come to a full stop when you’re trying to cross a road.

1. Having only one item of purchase to pay for in a supermarket, and still let everyone queue up in front of you.

1. Bow when passing (at close range) elderly people or people with more authority than you.

1. While in a restaurant: a.) asking for chili-sauce. b.) showing the waitress/waiter what you would like to order on the menu, just to
    make sure they get it right.

Any more ideas?

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

traffic: the cars passed and stepped on the zebra stripe in a way so I can just comfortable pass behind the passing car.

But that Austrian idio*t did a full brake let me pass in front of his car and was very furious, instead of just ignoring me.....

• Like 2

Finding myself in Asian grocery stores more than western supermarkets.

I find myself choosing Thai beer over Australian beers in bottle shops. Wish they sold San Miguel here in Oz, they dont.

I cant say Im Thaianised, never lived there long enough, Id say Im influenced in a good way!

• Like 1

traffic: the cars passed and stepped on the zebra stripe in a way so I can just comfortable pass behind the passing car.

But that Austrian idio*t did a full brake let me pass in front of his car and was very furious, instead of just ignoring me.....

LOL...sounds very Austrian like to me....clap2.gif

Not understanding where the 'Hello Hansum Man' comments have gone.

Now it's more like a 'Piss off you old bugger'

But this happened to my friend recently.

*sigh*Careful, shes watching mate.whistling.gif

Your disbelief when a friend arrives for a meeting less than 30 minutes late

You mean when there is a meeting at 8 AM, you put the clock on 8 AM, start with a coffee and take shower, arrive at 9 AM in the office and be happy that he is so reliable when he arrives at 11.

LOL...sounds very Austrian like to me....clap2.gif
Last time in Austria everything seemed very exotic to me and the natives behave very strange, they get stressed for complete unimportant things.

A dog is barking in the night....oh my god!!! Call police, 4 Pfoten, Stadtpolizei, Sonderkommando, Inspektor Kottan...something must happening NOW......very strange.....

Sunday everything closed.

Nice country but strange natives...

• Like 1

It's the same with any country you dare to migrate to. If you're good enough and willing to survive in a foreign country, you can adapt to almost anything.

I'm a German who lived for some odd 10 years in the UK. Now I live in Thailand and I still find myself drinking English tea with milk instead of instant sh*t with milk powder. I cook my English breakfast every Sunday and miss it if I don't have time to cook! Oh yea, and I drink as much as I can (rather as much as I should drink) when I know I'm off the next day... burp.gif

And as a German I miss the German beers and good wines. So what am I??? German? Engilsh? Thai? One second, let me check my passport.... passifier.gif Sh*t there is it? Think I lost it. Oh, there it is. It's a Thai passport! Damn, it's just my daughter's passport. Oh well. Never mind... drunk.gif

• Like 1

A 6th sense for when it's about to rain

Taking a walk on a Sunday, wondering why the entire population has abandonded the country.

Having a quick beer at a local supermarket.

Not trusting a woman that invites you for dinner and eventually PAYS for all of your expenses.. (shocking experience)

Negotiate prices everywhere

Getting stopped by traffic police saying: No have. How much?

...in summer almost getting slapped in the face by the waitress for ordering a beer and asking the waitress why she didn't bring a condom along with that....biggrin.pngtongue.png

• Like 1

A 6th sense for when it's about to rain

Taking a walk on a Sunday, wondering why the entire population has abandonded the country.

Having a quick beer at a local supermarket.

Not trusting a woman that invites you for dinner and eventually PAYS for all of your expenses.. (shocking experience)

Negotiate prices everywhere

Getting stopped by traffic police saying: No have. How much?

...in summer almost getting slapped in the face by the waitress for ordering a beer and asking the waitress why she didn't bring a condom along with that....biggrin.pngtongue.png

Your in Greece you rascal. clap2.gif

when you rehash the same old you know you have been in Thailand too long cliches yet one more time

http://www.google.com/search?q=been+in+Thailand+too+long&aq=f&oq=been+in+Thailand+too+long&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3j60l2.1015&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The one with the Family Buffalo and Goldfish is outstanding. Still in stiches, mate. I read this topic ones many years back in a book called"Thai Lite". That's how I came on the idea with a friend. But it's true, though...

Going back home and realising is one thing, but a far better barometer is the way Thais treat you in Thailand. Thais can pick out foreigners fresh off the plane in a heart-beat; the western clothes, mannerisms and 'aura' for want of a better word. The best way to tell you've stayed to long is when no Thai gives you a second look, bar girls look through you and Sukumvit tailors don't call out. I hereby assert that Thailanization is complete when even mosquitoes leave you alone.

Well said.