Are You Discouraged With The Negativity On Thaivisa? Suggestions Here:

infinity11

Over negative and over positive posts are equally stupid.

But what do you expect at a general forum?

Would you expect balanced views in a bar?

I like TV for the visa and farming fora, that provide a lot of information.

And when it is too hot to work in the garden, or when I am bored, I like to have a laugh at the pub or buddha fora.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wags on my Indo board tell me they have a 'cure' for keyboard warriors - threats of a long posting holiday accompanied by links to various Thai-based boards. This, along with extensive post deletion, seems to have done the trick - one thing I'm enjoying is that no-one quotes a page worth of discussion simply to insult another BM. The obsession with 'having the last word' here is staggering.

The wags on my Indo board tell me they have a 'cure' for keyboard warriors - threats of a long posting holiday accompanied by links to various Thai-based boards. This, along with extensive post deletion, seems to have done the trick - one thing I'm enjoying is that no-one quotes a page worth of discussion simply to insult another BM. The obsession with 'having the last word' here is staggering.

The best thing about a keyboard warrior is nobody can smell his fart except he, himself..

• Like 2

If it was all happy happy joy joy it would be awfully boring, wouldn't it.

Sometimes the negativity and the replies are quite entertaining. I form my own opinions and so am not bothered by those with a sour outlook on life. Sometimes it is hard to avoid sounding negitive when commenting on some aspects of thai culture such as getting away with murder if you are connected. Putting down Joe or Lek Somchai for what ever lack of skill or social graces you percieve them to be lacking in is really just a cheap shot as they surely have not had the advantages of a western education and culture that you have.

Sorry what does someone with a Saltire as a profile pic know about culture apart from St Ivel make it ?

What is it that you are sorry about??

In fairness, there are a lot of supid questions asked, a lot of questions that can be answered by searching.

There is also a great deal of confrontation between the old school and the new arrivals, money and no money, the lazy and the diy'ers. Lots of very sarcastic comments about Thai women (some hit the mark) usually provided by a guy that could never land a date let alone a wife or gf in his own country.

We come from different stations, culture, education, vocation/profession, military service or lack of.

Some have big hearts, some small. Some big open minds, some small closed minds.

Many have washed ashore, counting their days till they pass. Othets actively chose to be here and live evertly minute of it as their finances allow.

Many obviously still belly up to the gogo bars and pay retail for their companions. Others have seen that the best of these days long past, esp with all sorts of incurable and deadly disease floating. Its not just passe' its just not longer a quality experience. More likely to end in some aggro than be a pleasant experience, to which is asked what sort of person bothers with this?

People jump to a lot if stupid conclusions, make a lot of assumptions. I for one get tited of people asking the same stupid questions obviously wo searching. OK maybe fresh opinion is needed, but often not.

There is a real failure of people to not school themselves in the Thai or expat experience and then run to the board with all and sundry rumor, speculation, trival question...

Then there ate the trolls. I have a rule, if OP has less than 100 posts, I don't bother to respond if the question looks like trollbait whatsoever.

It is a very diverse group of people.

• Like 2

People jump to a lot if stupid conclusions, make a lot of assumptions. I for one get tited of people asking the same stupid questions obviously wo searching. OK maybe fresh opinion is needed, but often not.

There is a real failure of people to not school themselves in the Thai or expat experience and then run to the board with all and sundry rumor, speculation, trival question...

Then there ate the trolls. I have a rule, if OP has less than 100 posts, I don't bother to respond if the question looks like trollbait whatsoever.

Exactly the kind of attitude which breeds the negativity which is infesting the board and which the OP complains about.

Edited by dantilley
  • Like 1

bkkburning said:

Some have big hearts, some small. Some big open minds, some small closed minds.

How can someone meet, interact, find and befriend those with open hearts AND open minds, or big hearts AND big minds? Usually it is one or the other and often neither. bah.gif

Looking for helpful and encouraging answers to this is.

Ahh the "Famous Last Word" thread once again. Been there, done that many times and you have guessed it "Closed" many times also btw coffee1.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

This is my first post in a TV forum.

I have been living here for decades and I have been reading this forum since its inception.

Hardly discouraged by most of what I see here, I'll take my place among the positive commentators on some topics and I will comment and criticize where I see fit.

We'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

This is my first post in a TV forum.

I have been living here for decades and I have been reading this forum since its inception.

Hardly discouraged by most of what I see here, I'll take my place among the positive commentators on some topics and I will comment and criticize where I see fit.

We'll see how it goes.

Welcome Donnie, hope you find what you are looking for on this forum.

Your comment above got me thinking "I will comment and criticize where I see fit"

This is the difference I see between myself and others on the forum.

I primarily came to this forum (more than 10 years ago) to seek information. I stayed for 2 reasons - to continue seeking information I don't have, and to share the information I do have. It has never occurred to me that the primary reason to be on an expat forum is simply to comment and criticize. Surely there is more to it than that.

Think there are a few reasons really. When one has been here a while, seen stuff, tried to fix stuff, even tried to deal with sh_t, one comes acclimatised and may seem negative to others with posts BUT I/we mean well to try and help. Me, many posts deleted bah.gif when really l wanted to point via my experiences.thumbsup.gif

harrry, on 11 Mar 2013 - 21:23, said:

The diference between a forum and a classified site is that a classified site is to provide information....a forum is to build and sustain a community. I would say you may have been only into posting as an information site SeaVisionsBurma for many years but you are now making your contribution to making it a community.

Communities have arguments,discusions. greetings,blowing off steam, and commenting and criticising as well as straight information.

Good post harrry - and a fair comment.

I guess my earlier post was to query a first time poster who had just joined stated quite clearly that they were here to comment and criticize.

The title of this thread is "are you discouraged with the negativity on thaivisa"

One wonders if the negativity is due to too many of the posters just being here to criticize, and not to contribute anything positive. Seriously, please think about that point.

I understand this is a community - it has been a part of my life for a decade - but I want to live in a community that isn't just about criticizing. A community should be more than that, which is the point I am trying to make.

If a comment or criticism makes even one poster stop and reconsider its subject it has served its purpose. It does not always have to be correct or even fully thought out...You have a lot of information to share...you share a little of it and I know if people ask you can share a lot more. Some others are not always in the position you are but surely have a role in questioning, criticisng (which may be right or wrong but may always be responded to) and generally keeping this forum a place where people can come every day and find something new.

• Like 1

harrry, on 11 Mar 2013 - 21:23, said:

The diference between a forum and a classified site is that a classified site is to provide information....a forum is to build and sustain a community. I would say you may have been only into posting as an information site SeaVisionsBurma for many years but you are now making your contribution to making it a community.

Communities have arguments,discusions. greetings,blowing off steam, and commenting and criticising as well as straight information.

Good post harrry - and a fair comment.

I guess my earlier post was to query a first time poster who had just joined stated quite clearly that they were here to comment and criticize.

The title of this thread is "are you discouraged with the negativity on thaivisa"

One wonders if the negativity is due to too many of the posters just being here to criticize, and not to contribute anything positive. Seriously, please think about that point.

I understand this is a community - it has been a part of my life for a decade - but I want to live in a community that isn't just about criticizing. A community should be more than that, which is the point I am trying to make.

Some (me) cannot or will not be ''yes'' men. When a post in my opinion needs addressing, l will, at the risk of punishment, respond. An open forum will attract all sorts, and a percentage will not come here to be ''choir boys''. coffee1.gif

• Like 1