My Dog Ate My Passport!

Get ahold of the UK govt. I'm sure it's similar to Canada, and they do offer urgent services in cases such as this. Or at the very least, they'll be able to provide you with a temporary travel document, or something to confirm your citizenship.

I may be wrong, but I think that once your application for a new passport is submitted to the embassy, you are issued with a receipt and in the event of any request to present your passport this document will suffice. Following issuance of the new passport you then go to immigration and they will find your original entry and re-stamp the new passport.

My advice would be to complete the forms, get any photos etc you need and take yourself and the fee to the embassy and get in line. Your new passport should take about a week to arrive - well before the 22nd.

Ideally you should carry your passport at all times, but its sometimes a hassle (rain, beach etc), but when driving my bike or car as well as my driving licence I ALWAYS have at the very least a colour scan of my passport and the entry stamp & TM card. This has proved enough on a number of occasions at "tea money" road blocks.

Edited by GooEng
  • Like 2

I may be wrong, but I think that once your application for a new passport is submitted to the embassy, you are issued with a receipt and in the event of any request to present your passport this document will suffice. Following issuance of the new passport you then go to immigration and they will find your original entry and re-stamp the new passport.

My advice would be to complete the forms, get any photos etc you need and take yourself and the fee to the embassy and get in line. Your new passport should take about a week to arrive - well before the 22nd.

But it's all done through the UK Embassy in Hong Kong is it not? I assume ^^ this was the case when passport issues were dealt with at the UK Embassy in BKK.

Yeah it's sent to HK now, but the staff at the embassy will be able to advise and provide a receipt.

Also, I seem to have some recollection that presenting a spoiled passport is better than nothing - it proves at the very least that the original hasn't been stolen and is now in the wrong hands.

Out of interest, other than actually going to the embassy how were you planning making the application?

Yeah it's sent to HK now, but the staff at the embassy will be able to advise and provide a receipt.

Also, I seem to have some recollection that presenting a spoiled passport is better than nothing - it proves at the very least that the original hasn't been stolen and is now in the wrong hands.

Out of interest, other than actually going to the embassy how were you planning making the application?

You download/fill in the necessary forms, send them via DHL to the Embassy in HK. As I said, information on damaged passports is very sketchy/non-existent almost. From what I've read, it takes roughly 3-4 weeks for the arrival of your new passport, but of course I've only got 2 weeks until my 2 months is up. I don't think there's going to be anyway for Immigration to grant me the extra month now to allow time for it to come, and the last thing I want to do is pay overstay fees when the damn passport almost totted to 8,000 baht.

Edited by AnyoneBesidesAsh

This is uncanny! What an amazing story... Very sorry for what happened to you MR. ABA.

Agreed, do not send it. You have to keep it.

How bad is it? Can you please post a picture of the damages done? Maybe this helps..

First thing come to mind is you should go with the damaged passport to your Embassy ASAP and let them help you.

Edited by Dancealot

Ok, I see. If that's the recommended approach now then I guess that's that.

It used to take about a week - i replaced a lost one a few years back, and I thought then was also made outside Thailand - not sure.

Is there an express service if you pay an extra fee?

I'd persevere in trying to speak to someone at the embassy - even if it means going there.

• Like 1

Under Thai Law you should have been in possession of said passport,thus saving you much hassle.

I worked with somone that followed this law. He carried both his WP and Passport in his back pocket. After he lost both of them once and his wife washed them twice he just carried his DL.

• Like 1

First go to the Embassy so they can see the extent of the damage, then according to what they say apply for a new one using DHL to Hong Kong, the Embassy will give you nothing to take to Immigration as Immigration don't care.

When you get your new passport go to the border with the chewed one and the new one and get the stamp into your new passport.

I seriously don't understand why people ask a bunch of complete strangers on a public forum about the simple issue of a replacement for a damaged passport.

Obviously you go to the Embassy and talk to the consular services people, who will know exactly what to do, they do this sort of stuff all the time. Its not rocket science.

• Like 1

Depending on where you live, I would take the damaged passport to the police station or immigration office unless you are in Bangkok. They are not unreasonable and explain that you have already sent off for a new passport. They will most likely help you out as much as they can.

Try to relax, your passport will probably be ready on time, they do have express service for most countries, but for England, you have to get thei emergency cell number, they will be able to give you more help than anyone on this forum.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED WITH A

DAMAGED PASSPORT
 C1 form
 Two Identity and Passport Service standard
photographs
 Passport fee
 Damaged passport
 Letter explaining how the passport became

damaged

Page 4 of this PDF file: http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/central-content-pdfs/form-c1-notes.pdf

Simple: Find your local consular services and make an appiontment as soon as can be arranged. Also go to Immigration with all the docs and copies you can think of and ask for help. All will be resolved, at least you did not loose it all, lucky you fed the dog that day !!laugh.pngsmile.png

Under Thai Law you should have been in possession of said passport,thus saving you much hassle.

Absolutely right, get a plastic sleeve on a chain and wear it at all times. laugh.png

Would it make any difference in this unlucky case if he had a laminated colour copy of his passport and his visa?

I mean if so would this smooth-en the bureaucracy process?

• Like 1

Absolutely right, get a plastic sleeve on a chain and wear it at all times. laugh.png

Would it make any difference in this unlucky case if he had a laminated colour copy of his passport and his visa?

I mean if so would this smooth-en the bureaucracy process?

Yes if poss. get a mini copy of photo page & visa & laminate - most photo shops can do this. Even before you send it in. That, and receipt for damaged PP should suffice till you get new one - I think.

To be in posession of a passport is to invite loss or theft. Most folks just carry a miniatured photocopy, like an ID card, and keep their actual passport in a lockbox.

I am actually puzzled as to how a dog got into his place to even find the passport. The dog should have been outside, or at a kennel.

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, but I have a theory that some governments deliberately flavour their passports, currency and other official documents, with beef bone marrow so that they can generate extra income.