Thailand Should Brand Itself Asean's Leader

webfact

marketing guru Philip Kotler is one of the smartest and greatest thinkers in The World

I agree with him

Just like Henry Kissinger was getting $600/hr consultation fees in the 1980's. Just a week before the Berlin Wall came down, Kissinger sagely remarked, "That's not possible. The Soviets would never allow the wall to come down."

Great salesmanship involves packaging a product to spout all the perceived glories (as much as the gullible public can stomach) - and make no mention of its flaws. It's akin to what lawyers do for a living: They sugar gloss their client with no regard for truth. They're all professional liars. The more convincing you are as a liar, the more successful you should be as a lawyer or an advertising executive. Then there's Thaksin, the patron saint of liars ....but I digress.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I think it is a great idea. He is looking at ways for Thailand to advance within this new framework. Why would that be a bad thing? The more successful Thailand becomes, the quicker they will have to deal with corruption to maintain that level. Let's cheer them on to success.

Oh yes, what a clever idea.....NOT.

ASEAN is a co-operative union of ten nations. I can't imagine any better way to piss off the other nine than by announcing you are going to be their leader especially when you obviously not qualified to be. Even Germany doesn't do that in the EU although in their case they are head and shoulders above the rest.

And your solution towards somebody taking the lead is nobody taling the lead? I have been on enough Committees and Boards in my lifetime to know that all members are not of equal strength, resolve, dedication, and knowledge and are looking for anyone to take the lead at the onset. A leadership group will provide nothing but talk. That is why you have Chairpeople. Your example of Germany in trying to solve the EU economic problems I think was a perfect example by you. What would have happened if Germany had not stepped up to the plate and basically took over the show. Every other country was thrilled to have them do it. Groups ALWAYS look for a leader. It MUST happen. Recognising this, who would you choose? Why would this be bad for us, people who live in Thailand?

There is a big difference here. Germany does not aspire to lead or wish to 'brand' itself as the leader but is recognised as so by the other nations.

And you cannot possibly compare Germany with Thailand.

Germany is the biggest, wealthiest, best managed nation in the union and is run in the main by smart, honest, experienced politicians with a knowledgable and highly respected leader at the helm.

Thailand isn't.

• Like 1

I think the Germany and Thailand comparison is actually pretty good.

This guy has some ideas for Thailand, but perhaps his ideas are not the way that Thailand wants to go. We all have different ideas for the AEC and ASEAN, but this guy gets paid a bunch of money to be listened to.....TV members do not :(

I have to say I think it is a great idea. He is looking at ways for Thailand to advance within this new framework. Why would that be a bad thing? The more successful Thailand becomes, the quicker they will have to deal with corruption to maintain that level. Let's cheer them on to success.

It's like painting a shiny new coat of paint on an beat-up car. It's pizzazz from a career advertising man, in the snack food industry, no less. The type of person who oversees campaigns to sell sugar coated puffed air breakfast cereals to millions of pre-schoolers using cartoon characters. Dentists in the US love his sort - as American kids are brought in to their offices needing multiple cavities filled. .... not to mention the obesity pandemic.

This guy has some ideas for Thailand, but perhaps his ideas are not the way that Thailand wants to go. We all have different ideas for the AEC and ASEAN, but this guy gets paid a bunch of money to be listened to.....TV members do not sad.png

So, getting paid tubs of money translates to wise advice? See my mention of Kissinger - a few posts back.

ASEAN is a co-operative union of ten nations. I can't imagine any better way to piss off the other nine than by announcing you are going to be their leader especially when you obviously not qualified to be. Even Germany doesn't do that in the EU although in their case they are head and shoulders above the rest.

And your solution towards somebody taking the lead is nobody taling the lead? I have been on enough Committees and Boards in my lifetime to know that all members are not of equal strength, resolve, dedication, and knowledge and are looking for anyone to take the lead at the onset. A leadership group will provide nothing but talk. That is why you have Chairpeople. Your example of Germany in trying to solve the EU economic problems I think was a perfect example by you. What would have happened if Germany had not stepped up to the plate and basically took over the show. Every other country was thrilled to have them do it. Groups ALWAYS look for a leader. It MUST happen. Recognising this, who would you choose? Why would this be bad for us, people who live in Thailand?

There is a big difference here. Germany does not aspire to lead or wish to 'brand' itself as the leader but is recognised as so by the other nations.

And you cannot possibly compare Germany with Thailand.

Germany is the biggest, wealthiest, best managed nation in the union and is run in the main by smart, honest, experienced politicians with a knowledgable and highly respected leader at the helm.

Thailand isn't.

You can't appoint yourself leader, others have to do that.

Appointing yourself leader, boss, CEO, captain isn't possible

This guy has some ideas for Thailand, but perhaps his ideas are not the way that Thailand wants to go. We all have different ideas for the AEC and ASEAN, but this guy gets paid a bunch of money to be listened to.....TV members do not sad.png

So, getting paid tubs of money translates to wise advice? See my mention of Kissinger - a few posts back.

Not at all! I'm saying that guy can say whatever the hell he wants and he's still going to get paid. I would do the same thing if I was that age.

Snippet #66 system would not allow a quoted post.

"You can't appoint yourself leader, others have to do that.

Appointing yourself leader, boss, CEO, captain isn't possible"

Not true, Idi Amin did it all the time. Self deluded with himself. All joking aside, thailands self appointing as leader, hub, etc etc is consistent with "delusions of grandeur" typically seen in some psychiatric disorders and also in chemical addiction. Many an alcoholic has self proclaimed themselves as even being Jesus Christ, etc etc.

Homegrown Thai technology/innovation is very rare.

If any country should take the lead in ASEAN, it clearly should be Singapore. And at the same time they could give lessons in corruption avoidance.. :-)

It would not be a bad idea if Thailand had the qualifications. But as we all know with the rampant corruption from the leaders of the country down to the local shop owner, the ASEAN community will not agree to be lead by a country of this standing.

I did my post-grad at NW . . . never met the man, though - - - and am now glad I didn't as this underlines once more the vast discrepancy between theoretic principles and reality.

How can anyone be as ridiculously out of touch to assume that basing principles on religion has any value whatsoever when dealing with other nations of other religions . . .

My wife is a Uni Prof here and she agrees wholeheartedly . . . but then she is a Law Professor and there is little wriggle room between theory and practice.

• Like 1

Yep - let's lead from Dubai.

Lots of foreign visits for ASEAN leaders.

If Thailand can lead, and is seen by the other countries to be the most effective leader, then they will. Mind you, I don't know if the Thai attitude to the spirit of the ASEAN setup will be a hurdle. Free exchange of skills, but don't worry about your chances of a job because there will be quotas to safeguard Thai jobs.

Nothing changes.

Let Thailand lead and extend its fortress borders outwards.

Instead of countries leading ASEAN, how about exceptional SE Asian individuals with innovative ideas.

The only person I can think of, in SE Asia, who might fill those shoes is Aung San Suu Kyi. No other of SE Asia's big shots come close to having true leadership qualities such as wisdom, skills, vision, mixed with compassion for those at the bottom rungs, and environmental awareness. Indeed, everything ASEAN discusses has to be laden with money concerns. Environmental husbandry, social issues (downtrodden) and alternative energy topics don't get on the agenda. They're all about moving and consolidating money.

Edited by maidu

Instead of countries leading ASEAN, how about exceptional SE Asian individuals with innovative ideas.

The only person I can think of, in SE Asia, who might fill those shoes is Aung San Suu Kyi. No other of SE Asia's big shots come close to having true leadership qualities such as wisdom, skills, vision, mixed with compassion for those at the bottom rungs, and environmental awareness. Indeed, everything ASEAN discusses has to be laden with money concerns. Environmental husbandry, social issues (downtrodden) and alternative energy topics don't get on the agenda. They're all about moving and consolidating money.

Aung San Suu Kyi . . . the compassionate. So compassionate for those on the bottom rung that she ignores the plight of Rohingya, she has no economic knowledge and has been blown up to such proportions that she rivals Mandela in the popularity stakes.

You talk about ASEAN as though it should be solely an organisation based on humanitarian and environmental issues - far from what this place needs.

Leaders need to have a plethora of skills and knowledge, not just be 'nice' people . . . which Suu Kyi has shown herself to be lacking in as well

Aung San Suu Kyi . . . the compassionate. So compassionate for those on the bottom rung that she ignores the plight of Rohingya, she has no economic knowledge and has been blown up to such proportions that she rivals Mandela in the popularity stakes.

You talk about ASEAN as though it should be solely an organisation based on humanitarian and environmental issues - far from what this place needs.

Leaders need to have a plethora of skills and knowledge, not just be 'nice' people . . . which Suu Kyi has shown herself to be lacking in as well

Im not an authority on Burmese politics, but I would have thought its pretty difficult to effect change in opposition, or under house arrest.

Im not an authority on Burmese politics, but I would have thought its pretty difficult to effect change in opposition, or under house arrest.

She has been free since 2010 and has achieved much, but has stayed very silent and action-less on the Rohingya issue while tens of thousands are displaced and chased from their lands.

Let's not forget that her father was a general, her mother a society woman who served as Burma's ambassador to India. Suu Kyi has a BA from Oxford and graduate studies in New York . . . where she 'works' at the UN while U Tant is Sec Gen.

This life of Reilly goes on until 1988 . . . when she shows the traits that made her famous . . .

Our maid in Singapore was from Burma and definitely hopes things will get better but she also knows that Suu Kyi lived better under house arrest than 90% of the population

Now, all this does not mean she doesn't care about the 'poor' . . . her primary interest was and is in establishing/re-establishing a democratic process and principles in Burma.

Rohingya . . . pretty much nada.

• Like 1

I didn't suggest ASEAN should be solely based on humanitarian and environmental issues - I said ASEAN is all about economics and doesn't give any tangible consideration to environmental or "compassion for those at the bottom rungs of the social ladder."

What is 'economic knowledge'? The guys running Wall Street and making 5 million dollar bonuses each year have 'economic knowledge' and look at the messes they cause in 2008. Thaksin has economic knowledge and he saddled Thailand with a multi-billion baht loss with its rice buy-back scheme. I could be argued that someone with 'economic expertise' can cause more economic damage than the regular guy who knows how to balance a check book.

I didn't suggest ASEAN should be solely based on humanitarian and environmental issues - I said ASEAN is all about economics and doesn't give any tangible consideration to environmental or "compassion for those at the bottom rungs of the social ladder."

What is 'economic knowledge'? The guys running Wall Street and making 5 million dollar bonuses each year have 'economic knowledge' and look at the messes they cause in 2008. Thaksin has economic knowledge and he saddled Thailand with a multi-billion baht loss with its rice buy-back scheme. I could be argued that someone with 'economic expertise' can cause more economic damage than the regular guy who knows how to balance a check book.

For every one example you cite of someone - anyone it seems - who screws up either through economic mismanagement or corruption or ulterior motive I can cite at least twenty who have done a good job with the situation they find themselves in.

It's quite easy to cite someone like Thaksin who used the scheme to guarantee votes, some Wall Street goons who earn a mint and may or may not have added to the financial distress . . .

You could argue that that someone with economic expertise can cause more economic damage than a regular guy who knows how to balance a checkbook . . . but you'd be wrong.

Running a company/corporation/country etc... is vastly different than adding up three cheques and two cash-card debits a week.

My grad and post-grad degrees are based on economics . . . and I can't see through the maze of regulations, requirements etc.... of my small companies, let alone a country

Commerce/Economics is the most important portfolio in the land . . . there's a reason for that