An Issue That Could Ignite Bangkok Again

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
An issue that could ignite Bangkok again

Avudh Panananda
The Nation

Should the rival camps decide to throw caution to the wind, Thailand may once again be mired in street protests and chaos.

BANGKOK: -- As the reds and their rival yellow-shirts step up their activities in order to push for their respective versions of amnesty, they should exercise utmost restraint so as to avoid holding the country hostage.

In the coming months, the amnesty issue will become a hot talking point. Whether the debate leads to reconciliation or a new round of political violence hinges on how much the opposing sides are willing to forego vested interests.

On Wednesday, the People's Alliance for Democracy issued a statement, saying it will never condone granting amnesty to criminals and graft offenders. It would, however, support legal absolution to the offenders of emergency and internal security laws.

On the same day, the red shirts announced that they would push for amnesty legislation on criminal violations committed in connection with street protests from 2006 to 2011.

Even before kicking-off the debate, the red and yellow shirts have a conflicting take on what the amnesty legislation should entail.

The red-yellow struggle on amnesty could be a long-drawn-out fight in the legislature as well as in various public forums.

From the perspective of the yellow shirts, amnesty is a pretext for the eventual rescue of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra from his legal predicament. This is the reason why amnesty, if granted, should not cover the graft conviction involving Thaksin.

The yellow shirts' bottomline is that Thaksin must show remorse by serving at least part of his two-year jail term before discussing his pardon.

The anti-Thaksin camp also suspects that the red shirts would extend the amnesty to cover those convicted of offending the monarchy.

For opponents of Thaksin, the root of Thailand's political malady is populism, which they see as a form of vote buying used as a springboard to plunder the country.

Until the political system has been cleansed of populism, the yellow shirts are not prepared to strike a deal with the red shirts in relation to amnesty.

In fact, they have threatened to resume street protests if the reds bring about amnesty legislation on criminal violations.

From the point of view of the reds, amnesty has far-reaching consequences on many levels.

The red leaders, particularly chairwoman Thida Thavornseth, view amnesty as a goal essential for them to achieve. The reds do not see Thaksin as a political outcast, but a victim of the 2006 coup who deserves to be rescued.

Thida and her fellow leaders are under pressure from the ranks to end the legal wrangling involving the reds in a speedy manner.

In January, the reds' leadership tried but failed to convince the government to issue an amnesty decree. This led them to try the legislative channel. Thida and other reds made a calculated move to push for amnesty legislation despite the risk of a head-on collision with the yellow shirts and the Democrats.

The reds managed to sway more than 20 Pheu Thai MPs to sponsor their seven-provision amnesty draft.

At this juncture, it is almost certain that the ruling party will not adopt a formal stand on the draft, though it would allow its MPs a free vote on the matter.

The reds are hoping to apply public pressure on MPs and senators to support their draft.

Though Thaksin's blessings are necessary before the amnesty debate goes to the House floor, but his intervention could automatically trigger a new round of confrontation between his opponents and supporters.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-08

Though Thaksin's blessings are necessary before the amnesty debate goes to the House floor, but his intervention could automatically trigger a new round of confrontation between his opponents and supporters.

Once again it comes back to "Thaksin thinks PT acts"

• Like 2

And one has to also ask - does the newspaper fear Thaksin? Does it patronize him and pander to him? Why would an International newspaper print something like 'though Thaksin's blessings are necessary?" The Nation should cut the comedy and the circus.

It's quite bazaar that in the media, Thaksin is recognised as the person in charge of Thailand, and the final decisions are up to him.

Throughout the spiel above, not one mention of the Prime Minister, YS.

I'm still surprised that only after a major announcement of being the proxy PM, is it that she comes out to declare herself the "real" PM.....I guess the Shinawatra family power, is far more important than a female family member title.

Why do the PAD support amnesty for graft? Looking after their own i suppose.

If they support amnesty for graft, will this not throw a large amount of TS out the window?

For me the graft in this country is the biggest problem, all problems lead back to politicians/army/police getting their heads in the trough and damn to everyone else.

I've missed the coups. I think farangs should form their own government. There should be enough Thai residents and luk kreung to form some sort of popularity. Every Thai loves a soap star.

Kurnell we are not citizens of Thailand therefore we are not allowed, we can't even be members of the police department, which is unfortunate cause I reckon I would make a great Prime Minister , living in Dubai

And one has to also ask - does the newspaper fear Thaksin? Does it patronize him and pander to him? Why would an International newspaper print something like 'though Thaksin's blessings are necessary?" The Nation should cut the comedy and the circus.

The nation is as inept as Thaksin is. that ism why they are in bed together.

I don't get any paper so I have no idea if the other papers go to such lengths to keep Thaksin front and center.

What's the fuss. They let people go, who burn little girls, and people who crash their cars and minivans into people and murder them, or people who traffic and sell child prostitutes to foreigners (including Asians) don't they? So, what are a few more corrupt individuals going to hurt? Does it really make any difference what the outcome will be? I am sure something else will come up once these forks are pulled out of the fire and used up. It's all silly when you really think about it. It's all about stiff-necked, self-righteous people whose feelings and pride are hurt; totally ignoring the abused and slain innocents.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 2

What's the fuss. They let people go, who burn little girls, and people who crash their cars and minivans into people and murder them, or people who traffic and sell child prostitutes to foreigners (including Asians) don't they? So, what are a few more corrupt individuals going to hurt? Does it really make any difference what the outcome will be? I am sure something else will come up once these forks are pulled out of the fire and used up. It's all silly when you really think about it. It's all about stiff-necked, self-righteous people whose feelings and pride are hurt; totally ignoring the abused and slain innocents.

I think they need to bring "Takki" back, write off the conviction, throw out all of the charges waiting for him, let all of the demonstraters out of the slammer and start again...the pigs have all got their snouts in the trough of public money and the voters just don't care! What are we farangs worrying about?

It's the standard story...all pride no shame, som nom na to all those who have been hurt...there's a chicken fight next Sunday, Yahoo!

• Like 1