Brakes And Braking....

RED21

Anyone know where to get decent brake pads form - not the OEM one is usually offered ?

What province do you live in & what bike?

Gold Fren brand ceramic carbon is available at many places & seem well liked 6-800 baht

i used Yasaki brake pads before and they were better than stock. Sintered metal HH.

They were really good if i think about it, really grabby to the touch, none of that mushy business.

Edited by KRS1

The argument was originally about honda wave 125i, having rear drums instead of discs here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/117958-honda-cbr150/page-143

Somehow it turned into Discs vs Drums by stupid people that had answer for their opinion. Of course discs are the best, however should thy put rear discs on a 125 wave? no.

And the best is drilled and grooved, rather than "ventilated"

Edited by Bingo66

The argument was originally about honda wave 125i, having rear drums instead of discs

Somehow it turned into Discs vs Drums by stupid people that had answer for their opinion.

Of course discs are the best, however should thy put rear discs on a 125 wave? no.

Actually there never was any argument

I said I wish the wave had a rear disc like the sonic did.

No big deal at all but,

You then showed up with the argument. You came into that thread

that had a small side mention of a Sonic & it’s brake like an opinionated bull in a china shop.

You were there to tell everyone who rides what they need & what they don’t

I am not sure what your on about now when you say

"Stupid people that had answer for their opinion" ???

That aside you are of the opinion only certain bikes needs certain brakes.

That is you choice & your welcome to it.

But to then think your opinion is empirical & good for all bikes of a certain size,

cost or weight & that it is empirical for all riders, riding styles,

all terrain’s & all weather conditions is silly.

Your of the opinion it costs way more to do a small disc than a wheel with a brake hub etc....debatable? Yes

Your of the opinion that because 80% of braking power comes from the front

that a rear disc is useless on a bike this size or price

That is simplistic & suggests straight line dry level braking is the end all of

braking conditions. It is not.

As I said I prefer the feel of a disc because reaction is more linear,

making the force easier to control also disc has less mass & unsprung weight & is easier to cool especially on long descents.

Because they do not heat up on long twisty mountain descents they do not fade nor get mushy feeling like a drum.

The better a brake can disperse heat the greater the stopping power.

Perhaps you do not realize or care that they are self-adjusting? I do.

Perhaps you don’t care that they are far easier to service & change pads vs shoes? I do

Maybe you do not even work on your own bike?

Who knows but I do most work myself & I would rather change pads then shoes

Bottom line is there are different riders in different sizes, experience levels, terrain they ride, speed they ride, conditions they ride etc.

That they have an opinion or preference for what works best for them & their type of riding is not for you to say.

Regardless of bike type,size or cost

That was the only argument in that other thread.

Not which brake was better or even on which bikes based on size or cost, which type of brake should go.

It was only an argument because you came into that thread & basically demanded that your opinion was the only valid one as to choice/preference

in equipment a person should have

Again based solely on bike cost or size. Sorry but the real world is different.

I have ridden bikes for many years.

That I have a preference is to be expected.

Did it stop me from buying a 2012 Wave 125i with a rear drum brake? No

Do I still wish it had a rear disc as I originally said in that other thread? Yes

Again it is my *Preference*

There was no argument in that other thread & there need not be one now.

Unless someone feels the need to tell everyone what they need or should prefer.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

The argument was originally about honda wave 125i, having rear drums instead of discs here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/117958-honda-cbr150/page-143

Somehow it turned into Discs vs Drums by stupid people that had answer for their opinion. Of course discs are the best, however should thy put rear discs on a 125 wave? no.

Well drum brakes maybe OK for you sport, but some of us would much rather have disc brakes at both ends.

• Like 2

Drum brakes belong on shopping trolleys. Everything else should have disc brakes and regenerative braking.

Actually the drums on my SR400 work very well however for constant back to back high speed emergency stops not so good.

Well drum brakes maybe OK for you sport, but some of us would much rather have disc brakes at both ends.

Then don't buy a 35,000 baht 125cc family bike then "sport" .

simplez.

Drum brakes belong on shopping trolleys. Everything else should have disc brakes and regenerative braking.

Actually the drums on my SR400 work very well however for constant back to back high speed emergency stops not so good.

Well the SR400 is a classic and I think they look as good today (some better) as they did when they first came out.....a long long time ago. But some folk like to tinker and I am sure there are some tinkers (somewhere around the world) working in the back shed late at night trying to figure out how to do it. biggrin.png

Well the SR400 is a classic and I think they look as good today (some better) as they did when they first came out.....a long long time ago. But some folk like to tinker and I am sure there are some tinkers (somewhere around the world) working in the back shed late at night trying to figure out how to do it. biggrin.png

I actually purchased a GSXR 1000 for its twin disc front end to put onto the SR but could not bring myself to pull it apart (the GSXR that is).

I actually purchased a GSXR 1000 for its twin disc front end to put onto the SR but could not bring myself to pull it apart (the GSXR that is).

Why not have 2 front ends? Change em when you feel the need!

A retro with twin disk brakes up front...thumbsup.gif

That just reminded me of this...

thumbsup.gif

Yer, it's Ok but......

Bringing the GF home last night we were held at a red light 3rd and Pattaya Klang and waiting next to me was a very nice white SR400 with chrome, chrome, chrome being ridden by a Thai guy. Sounded loverly.....like it just came from the Yamaha dealership in 1979.