5 Year Driving Licence Renewal - Info Please

Just spent an hour looking through all the posts on renewing driving licences - and couldn't find anything relating to extending a 5-year licence, only a 1-year one!

I'm going to take the following (below) but do I need to do any tests, too?

Do I need a doctor's certificate to renew a 5-year licence? Opinion varies here - whats the requirement on Samui?

Thanks in anticipation,

R

35]1. Passport – Original

35]2. Photo Copies of passport. Front page. Last entry page.

Non-Immigrant Visa page

35] Work Permit, original and photo copy

4. Medical Certificate – Original,

35](Doctors report for driver’s license 5 diseases form)

5. Expired Thai Drivers License.

Before you renew your license you must take:

Eye Exam, Reaction Test and 1 hour Training Course

Edited by robsamui

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not have to do the reaction or eye tests when I went from one year to five year... (assume you meaning motorbike.... no sure if same same, for car etc)

If I remember had to have letter from Samui Immigration, Doc cert, photocopies of PP... There is a photocopy shop out side the office, in case you forget or don't have enough copies!

Relatively fast and easy if you have the paperwork done! You leave with the license in hand!

I did not have to do the reaction or eye tests when I went from one year to five year... (assume you meaning motorbike.... no sure if same same, for car etc)

If I remember had to have letter from Samui Immigration, Doc cert, photocopies of PP... There is a photocopy shop out side the office, in case you forget or don't have enough copies!

Relatively fast and easy if you have the paperwork done! You leave with the license in hand!

Had to do it for both licences.

I just checked my licence, I did in 2010, so perhaps policy has changed! ? wink.png

yes,dont forget the residency certificate from immigration,it lasts for as long as your 90 day period is valid.500 baht i think it costs.

and medical certificate that u can get from any clinic

just tell them it is for driving lisence and be there 0830 am

First time I got my 5 years DL I needed Med certificate and did not have to take any tests.

Last July when I renewed again I brought Med cert again but they said no need but needed to take colour blind and reaction tests, had to come back next day before 9 AM.

Thanks to all for your input.

Think I've got it now.

Turn up at 7.30 am in long trousers and wearing a bra, with two copies of every document I own plus a doctor thingie which may or may not be needed.

Duplicates of mini photos

May or may not make me look at colours.

May or may not make me look at a movie.

Will make me pay money.

I get another 5 year licence (and a Pat Pong copy of a 1st world microchip plastic card thing for 100 baht more.)

And then I can go back up my tree for another five years?

Yes?

Ta

R

• Like 2

Think I've got it now.

Turn up at 7.30 am in long trousers and wearing a bra, with two copies of every document I own plus a doctor thingie which may or may not be needed.

Will make me pay money.

I get another 5 year licence (and a Pat Pong copy of a 1st world microchip plastic card thing for 100 baht more.)

Yes?

Ta

R

Duh! You forgot proof of address, 500 baht from Immigration.

• Like 1

When I renewed both my licences they needed double paperwork but so that I didnt have to pay immigration twice for their letter, I did a colour photocopy.

It looked virtually identicfal to the original and was accepted without question.

HL biggrin.png

• Like 2

Think I've got it now.

Will make me pay money.

Yes?

Ta

R

Duh! You forgot proof of address, 500 baht from Immigration.

I was going to use my driving licence . . .

(Thanks for the reminder!)

R

Edited by robsamui

• 2 months later...

If you have a work permit do you still need immigration paper?mine runs out in november ,can they both be renewed in october?

No idea on the work permit...I have a Non O. But I renewed my licences one month before they expired

If you have a work permit do you still need immigration paper?mine runs out in november ,can they both be renewed in october?

Pretty sure you will need the letter from Immigration..... One hand greases the other!

Anyone just done a change of address....on their license ?

That is handy to have on the back .... Guessing that going to cost at S I.... ?

Yeah I reckon it will Jimmy...yet another letter from immigration and then whatever the cost is for them to print off a new licence. I got two letters off them yesterday for Bht500...no idea why blink.png

Anyone just done a change of address....on their license ?

That is handy to have on the back .... Guessing that going to cost at S I.... ?

Yeah I reckon it will Jimmy...yet another letter from immigration and then whatever the cost is for them to print off a new licence. I got two letters off them yesterday for Bht500...no idea why blink.png

I have to do my three month visit to S I , next week, so guess I'll "kill two birds" with on trip! or is that two Noks !!!! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

Seems to me the license it's self, is pretty cheap...thumbsup.gif

Yes, you can use copies of your WP.

first, second page and page with last validity.

Last year when I renewed for second time I was told that the med. exam was not needed, has to take the eye tests there.

when I went for renewal 6 years ago I didn't have to take the eye exam, but needed the med. exam.

Apparently lots of med. exams didn't really involved a eye exam. sad.png

Went with a colleague once who was worried that his med from BNH said he was slightly colour blind - had problems telling red from green. The DTL tested our eyesight and confirmed that my friend was colour blind. He thought that was the end of the story but they just told him to queue up at the counter to proceed with the application and he got his licence. Not sure why they bother with the eye exam. Now he has an all of life licence same as me.

Edited by Arkady

Went with a colleague once who was worried that his med from BNH said he was slightly colour blind - had problems telling red from green. The DTL tested our eyesight and confirmed that my friend was colour blind. He thought that was the end of the story but they just told him to queue up at the counter to proceed with the application and he got his licence. Not sure why they bother with the eye exam. Now he has an all of life licence same as me.

Understandable really - here on Samui everyone ignores red lights anyway. giggle.gif

How do you get, an all of life licence?

Understandable really - here on Samui everyone ignores red lights anyway. giggle.gif

Very true Trop...never be too quick off the mark when the lights change to green as there is usually still four cars to come that have jumped the red wink.png