Police Clearance

allane

A friend of mine will be coming to Thaialnd soon to seek a teaching job.

Re: The Police Clearance

1. Is this obtained by the hiring school, or by the applicant ? It would seem to me that the former would be more desireable, in terms of preventing fakes.

2. If the applicant is to obtain it himself, how "fresh" must it be? If he brings it with him, it might be one or two months before he is offerred a job, and another month or two before all his documentation is reviewed by the Immigration and Labour Depts. It is not hard to foresee that in such a situation, he would be told to do it again.

3. Anything else that is pertinent ?

Immigration usually don't require a police report. But if you look dodgey, or if they are being particularly vigilant, they might ask.

You are the one who needs to provide it, from the one I got in NZ they are easy enough to get, they just take time (mine took a couple of months, so wasn't even ready before I flew to Thailand, but I think they are normally faster than this).

The individual is required to provide it. The Thai authorities can call or check further if they feel the need. I got mine from my local city police office here in Florida, USA. There was no fee. The clearance letter they issued. It was a two sentence letter saying I have no criminal activity.

Interestingly the police records had one moving violation on there that was against my father but they attributed it to me! But that is not on the police report. I also just found out that Florida Department of Motor Vehicles now lists the car my father had as belonging to me. Dad passed away in 2006, and hadn't had the car since about 2004. Luckily Florida does not have any property tax so I am not being billed anything. I tried to "correct" their records but I have no information on my Dad's car so I couldn't complete the junk/sell/scrap information! Oh well.