Does The Chinese Consulate In Cm Issue Work Visas?

shroomer

Hello all.

I need a work visa for China, so went to the Chinese consulate to inquire, but was put off by a very long queue

and only one window serving.

There was a sign on the wall giving the requirements for a work visa, so I assume they issue them at the consulate..

I was hoping someone could confirm this.

In short, the answer is no. If you are to work in China, your employer must issue you an official letter inviting you to China, this requires a L Visa which is a tourist visa. On arrival in China, you will have to go through every hoop you could imagine, this will mean visits with your employer to the local Security Branch , and these can be difficult. When everything is done, you will then have to leave China and apply for a Z Visa, this with all your documentation gathered in China.

With a Z Visa in your passport, you then have more hoops to jump through before being issued a resident visa which allows you to work. From my experience, in can take up to a year to get this done. However, the bulk of the work to gain such a Visa is usually done by your employer, if they know what they a doing it does help, if not you will be going round in circles.

Another issue is that nothing seems to be the same around China, where will you be hoping to work in China ? And one more thing, it is generally accepted that getting a work permit for a foreigner over 60 is very difficult.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...