Grafting Avocado Trees

T_Dog

We've had several avocado trees come up as volunteers over the past few months and they are getting to be about half a meter tall. Am wondering if anyone has been successful in doing their own grafting here in Thailand. We can get limbs from producing trees, but not sure what part of the tree is best and how big the seedling needs to be. Guess we need an avocado tree whisperer to help us. Anyone successful on this front?

I'm not sure about this but grafting is done because grafting onto certain rootstock will increase yields, make more resistance to certain diseases or more tolerable of drought etc.

I'm assuming that the new plants that you are intending to graft to have grown from seeds from your existing trees.

If your advocado trees are from grafted trees, the seeds will not grow the same rootstock. They will grow the same roots as the original tree that the top growth was taken from.

Grafting onto this rootstock will achieve nothing as it will be exactly the same as just leaving the tree to grow.

I'm not sure about this but grafting is done because grafting onto certain rootstock will increase yields, make more resistance to certain diseases or more tolerable of drought etc.

I'm assuming that the new plants that you are intending to graft to have grown from seeds from your existing trees.

If your advocado trees are from grafted trees, the seeds will not grow the same rootstock. They will grow the same roots as the original tree that the top growth was taken from.

Grafting onto this rootstock will achieve nothing as it will be exactly the same as just leaving the tree to grow.

The seeds are from avocado we bought from the market. We do know a farmer that has avocado trees that we could cut from. Sounds like this might not be worth it based on your info as the avocados of the root stock were great, but the farmer's are an unknown. Lots of difference in the quality of avocados in this area. Was hoping to graft as I understand trees from seeds will not produce fruit.

Hi there,

For the last three years I run a small avocado and coffee nursery in Wang Nam Keouw.

This year my first grafts are flowering and producing fruit.

I'm happy to share my knowledge, if you are really interested to make strong and root rot free avocado trees. ( Hass, Pederson, Fuerte)

I use a different rootstock and grafting method than usual here Thailand ( Packchong Research Center ) because

of the many cases of root rot affected trees .

Appreciate that offer. Please check your PMs and we can take it from there.

• 3 weeks later...

This is not an avocado graft as I am waiting for those trees to get a bit larger. A branch of one our mango trees broke off during a windstorm 5 days ago and I decided to try to graft the branch with fruit to a fast growing tree I planted from seed. Five days so far and one of the mangoes fell off but the leaves are looking very healthy. I used a 1/4 inch square piece of hard balsa to support the scion and stock together and then used 1 inch duct tape to secure it all together. It doesn't look pretty but so far so good. At least the leaves didn't fall off the first day as I thought they would.

8641590005_a7f4686bc4_z.jpg

This is not an avocado graft as I am waiting for those trees to get a bit larger. A branch of one our mango trees broke off during a windstorm 5 days ago and I decided to try to graft the branch with fruit to a fast growing tree I planted from seed. Five days so far and one of the mangoes fell off but the leaves are looking very healthy. I used a 1/4 inch square piece of hard balsa to support the scion and stock together and then used 1 inch duct tape to secure it all together. It doesn't look pretty but so far so good. At least the leaves didn't fall off the first day as I thought they would.

8641590005_a7f4686bc4_z.jpg

remove the fruit from the grafted branch so you give the graft stock more chance to adhere to the rootstock in the wind and also not use any energy trying to keep the fruit on the tree but pretty amazing results from those poisonous (to me) trees.

I have grafted avocados in Chiang Rai area. Grafting avos is not as easy as grafting other plants. Oddly, my earlier attempts worked better than more recent attempts, though the methods were different. Earlier, I took a scion and a seedling with same small diameter, cut an similarly angled cut on each, placed them together, and taped with black electric tape (didn't have proper grafting tape on hand). Any exposed cut parts, were sealed with a benign tar-like substance - the type to patch roofs.

I planted 60+ avos from seed (local nurseries didn't have any avo starts at that time, 14 years ago, but now the have a few). Of those 60, 15 have yielded, and one is particularly good. So this year, I took scions from the good tree, and tried grafting on the trunks of all the other trees. Unfortunately, it looks like they're not 'taking'. The thick bark dried and curled, and bolloxed up the process - even though I had sealed each graft. I also experimented with using white glue to seal, so maybe that was a factor in the failed attempts.

I have grafted avocados in Chiang Rai area. Grafting avos is not as easy as grafting other plants. Oddly, my earlier attempts worked better than more recent attempts, though the methods were different. Earlier, I took a scion and a seedling with same small diameter, cut an similarly angled cut on each, placed them together, and taped with black electric tape (didn't have proper grafting tape on hand). Any exposed cut parts, were sealed with a benign tar-like substance - the type to patch roofs.

I planted 60+ avos from seed (local nurseries didn't have any avo starts at that time, 14 years ago, but now the have a few). Of those 60, 15 have yielded, and one is particularly good. So this year, I took scions from the good tree, and tried grafting on the trunks of all the other trees. Unfortunately, it looks like they're not 'taking'. The thick bark dried and curled, and bolloxed up the process - even though I had sealed each graft. I also experimented with using white glue to seal, so maybe that was a factor in the failed attempts.

Wow, you have a lot of trees there. Looks like my mango graft is not going to take with this hot weather. The leaves look dry after I missed misting the tree one hot day. Not the best weather right now for grafting.....

I had a go at grafting onto Mango root stock in Australia which worked well. I recall that I used a hormone powder to encourage the graft to take. Is this powder available in Thailand?

• 10 months later...

I have seen apple trees with as many a 4 different varieties grafted to one tree. Each graft will bear the variety of apple that the scion came from. It is fun to see the tree with 4 different varieties of apples on it.

With your wild plants, you definitely need to graft if you want to be sure of the variety you get.

Edit: Here I found one that claims to have 9 varieties on it. LINK

post-164212-0-40619500-1393456654_thumb.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

My mangotree's have more then 10 different mango's on them, I grafted them last year and this year almost all bear fruits.

I did the same with jackfruit but no fruits yet. I also did durian, pomelo with lime on it, works with most tree's of same family.

You don't need rooting hormone, that is for rooting a cutting in soil/rockwool or whatever medium.

Now i 'm willing to graft avocado and tried it but the whole branche broke of in the wind. Never mind it was a scion from a seedling i just tried for test.

It is sure possible with avocado, i do approach grafting (inarching) which is much easyier also with mango's.

I 'm still looking for avocado variety's and if possible in BKK. I only need some scions (pieces of a branch) from 10 cm and that will be grafted on my tree.

For approach grafting i need a small grafted avocado-tree and they are hard to find in thailand. I bought one in BKK but had to search very hard for it.

• Like 1

My mangotree's have more then 10 different mango's on them, I grafted them last year and this year almost all bear fruits.

I did the same with jackfruit but no fruits yet. I also did durian, pomelo with lime on it, works with most tree's of same family.

You don't need rooting hormone, that is for rooting a cutting in soil/rockwool or whatever medium.

Now i 'm willing to graft avocado and tried it but the whole branche broke of in the wind. Never mind it was a scion from a seedling i just tried for test.

It is sure possible with avocado, i do approach grafting (inarching) which is much easyier also with mango's.

I 'm still looking for avocado variety's and if possible in BKK. I only need some scions (pieces of a branch) from 10 cm and that will be grafted on my tree.

For approach grafting i need a small grafted avocado-tree and they are hard to find in thailand. I bought one in BKK but had to search very hard for it.

Sounds good! On the mango trees, what time of year do you graft, and what style of grafting do you do? How thick is your scion? Sounds like you have figured all this out! I am hitting in the dark.

Why are you hitting in the dark? Just turn the light on mate. You know how to use Google right so if you type mango grafting you get loads of info.

I also learned it myself though, but i graft all year around and do approach grafting (aka inarching) as i wrote above. You take 2 young branches, cut a little bit of both at the sides and tie them together for about 6-8 weeks. Then they are joined and you slowly start cutting one off. Every week you cut it a bit more off the mothertree and after say 3 weeks it is growing on the other tree.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=mango+grafting&oq=mango+grafting&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65l3j0l2.2370j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=mango+grafting&oq=mango+grafting&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65l3j0l2.2370j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=mango+grafting+inarching

After you cut the scion of the mothertree it is wise to keep the plant out of full sun for some days, or just cover it with shadecloths for a week or so. Fresh grafts have to be protected for a while or it might die.

It really is not hard and you feel very proud if you can do it. If it doesn't work you try it again. Use a clean sharp knife though.

For normal grafting with a scion you can start on plumeria (leelawadee), i had a tree with 10 different colors of flowers and they graft very easy.

You cut the tip of a plumeria, take all the leaves off, make the end a V-shape. Then go to the other plumeria, cut the tip off (has to be same thickness) cut a V-shape in the branch, stick the V-shaped branchtip in the new V-cut and you tie them together with electrician tape. After some weeks it will grow and finally flower.

They sell grafting tape in the gardenshops though, works easyier then electrician tape but i also use cablebundlers or rope or plastic strips to tie them together. Keep grafts out of the sun untill they grow well and make new leaves. Or just cover them against sunshine with something so they don't dry out.

Edited by namdocmai
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

SAM_0622_zps2b347a12.jpg

sorry...taking this thread slightly off topic, but i thought it better to do this than start a new one.

any experts here want to guess what variety this might be?

g/f bought it at the KK farmer fair...she wrote down the variety but lost it........surprise, surprise. i bought 2, they've been under shade and watered daily since i planted 'em in the beginning of Feb.

i said she should have bought an A and a B variety, she said the gal who sold it to her said because they were grafted trees it wasn't necessary. maybe i'm in the wrong here?

also, i planted this one grown from seed nearby the 2 grafted ones.

SAM_0621_zpsc844a179.jpg

beautiful little tree, about 2 foot high and seems to be flourishing, but my question is...will it help this seed grown tree to fruit if it's parked nearby the grafted trees? or maybe it doesn't make a lick of difference.

my thanks in advance for any avocado professionals that want to help a dim fellow out.....

Edited by turnpike

from the pointy bright green leaf I give it a high probability its a Peterson ("a" type ) or next but less likely; Hass ( also "a" type)

the seedling will not make any difference in the grafted trees behavior until it flowers (10 years + on average; 3-4 years for grafted types)

yes you were correct in that she should have bought "a" and "b" types but its a very misunderstood subject.

in order to be effective, respective "a" and "b" types have to be compatible; meaning at the hours when one is shedding pollen the other one must be receptive to pollination.

the flowers are extremely moody; within same types ("a" and "b") it occurs at different times for different kinds; without proper homework it would not have made much of a difference.

if it is an option for you; you should have the seedling grafted, it is just the right size.

if you decide to fertilize the avocados, apply very sparingly, better wait a few more month until they have branched out more.

best regards.

• Like 2

Today i was on chatuchak market and there were many small flowering avocadotree's for sale. One was 40 cm tall and it had 1 small fruit! Amazing.

I bought one some weeks ago with flowers but cut the flowers off. It has to grow first and i thought they won't become a fruit anyway. Hope it fruits next year!

Hi Everyone....

Greetings from the South - Malaysia...!!!

There are 2 reasons why I am posting a comment here:

1. I are looking for grafted avocado plants from Thailand. Does anyone know where I can get a hold of a few trees? I am planning to drive up from Malaysia into Thailand to make friends, my purchases and visit some Avocado Farms. I was told that Pak Cheong Research Centre also sells grafted Avo plants.

2. I would like to invite you to join our Facebook group "Avocado Lovers Malaysia".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/avocadoloversmalaysia/

ขอบคุณมาก

Hi Avocadorian,

Am from Malaysia, and member of Avocado Lovers Malaysia. Am starting an Avocado farm in Sabah, East Malaysia. Had read the about with interest and shall look for opportunity to try out approach grafting. Had never tried this before.

Any suggestion on how to secure the rootstock (polybag) onto the scion (mother) tree? Afraid the branch may not be able to withstand the weight.

Hi Avocadorian,

Am from Malaysia, and member of Avocado Lovers Malaysia. Am starting an Avocado farm in Sabah, East Malaysia. Had read the about with interest and shall look for opportunity to try out approach grafting. Had never tried this before.

Any suggestion on how to secure the rootstock (polybag) onto the scion (mother) tree? Afraid the branch may not be able to withstand the weight.

I tie the tree on a bamboostick and then graft it to the mother tree.

I found that malaysian group but don't have facebook so i can't join that.

Which variety's of avocado do you have in Malaysia?

On wednesday is the chatuchak plantmarket in Bangkok, they have grafted avocadotree's for sale if you are lucky. For the rest it is very hard to find grafted tree's, let me know if you find them.

Edited by namdocmai

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi Avocadorian,

I tie the tree on a bamboostick and then graft it to the mother tree.

I found that malaysian group but don't have facebook so i can't join that.

Which variety's of avocado do you have in Malaysia?

On wednesday is the chatuchak plantmarket in Bangkok, they have grafted avocadotree's for sale if you are lucky. For the rest it is very hard to find grafted tree's, let me know if you find them.

sorry, up till now, I had not managed to identify our "local" avocado, I think it's similar to the Indonesia / Philippines type, smooth skin.green then grow to dark red upon ripe. Maybe can help me identify?

DSC03956_zps93440078.jpg

DSC03957_zps31cf25fe.jpg

DSC03960_zps0ce99a7f.jpg

DSC04611_zpsa50b40a0.jpg

DSC03995_zps96a38b2b.jpg

DSC04608_zps24524a6f.jpg

• Like 2

Raymon if you make a thread (with pics) on this forum then sure you will get an answer and know what avocado that is: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?board=1.0

I read they also have this one in the Phillipines and they like it there. If you want the grafted variety's in Thailand then only the research station can deliver that. Most other sellers have no idea at all about variety's.

• Like 1

Raymon if you make a thread (with pics) on this forum then sure you will get an answer and know what avocado that is: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?board=1.0

I read they also have this one in the Phillipines and they like it there. If you want the grafted variety's in Thailand then only the research station can deliver that. Most other sellers have no idea at all about variety's.

I just realized that I shall have difficulty watering the polybag when doing approach grafting. As the tree is tall and I have water supply difficulty.