Grafting Avocado Trees

T_Dog

We need somebody to bring us avocado variety's from abroad. There are many great west-indian variety's in Florida or Hawaii or Australia that can grow here.

I am going there in 2 months time and plan to bring back some bare rooted trees, so maybe I can look into it.

kevvy

We need somebody to bring us avocado variety's from abroad. There are many great west-indian variety's in Florida or Hawaii or Australia that can grow here.

I am going there in 2 months time and plan to bring back some bare rooted trees, so maybe I can look into it.

kevvy

Allright that's great. Bring some of the best avocado's for ultra tropic climates like Wurz, Shepard, monroe, reed or another real variety.

Can we not buy them online and let them send to Thailand with phyto-reports. That would be perfect.

Hello All, ran across this while checking on black tom's.

rice555

New avocado variety about to hit Australian market

A new cultivar of avocado will hit the market in Australia this March. The new Hass-like variety, Maluma is "bigger and better" than the original Hass variety. The new precocious variety is being grown by Henk van Niekerk from DBC Farming in the Atherton Tableland region in Queensland.

avo2.jpg

The Atherton Tableland region produces about one quarter of the 9.5 million cartons of avocados produced each year in Australia, predominantly of the Shepard and Hass varieties.

Van Niekerk says the Maluma is more heat tolerant that the normal Hass, has a bigger fruit and smaller stone. "The taste is better, more creamy than Hass, the skin is rougher and darker than the original Hass and the trees are smaller and can be more densely planted."

avo3a.jpg

The trees come into fruition at the end of March, in the period between the Shepard and Hass varieties. Henk says the trees are difficult to get started but once they take hold are very hardy and produce a bigger yield than the Shepard variety, around the same as Hass.

"The Maluma avocados did not really suffer much from the recent heatwave, there was a little leaf burn but no damage to the fruits," explains Henk. "We expect to get around 3000 cartons this year, which will multiply up to 20,000 next year and then 200,000 in the years to come."

avo1.jpg

The Maluma will be be marketed on the domestic market this year, but Henk is looking to start exporting in 2-3 years as volumes increase. The variety is also commercially grown for the export and domestic markets in South Africa and the Plant Breeders’ Rights are held by the South African company AH Ernst & Seuns (Pty) Ltd trading as Allesbeste. More information on Maluma is available om the Maluma-blog: www.maluma.info.

For more information:
Henk van Niekerk
DBC Farming
Tel: +61 458 935 122
Email: [email protected]

Publication date: 1/23/2014
Author: Nichola Watson
Copyright: www.freshplaza.com

• Like 2

I'm not a farmer. (yet)

I just want to eat the yummy things. Have never seen one single avocado in Thailand ever. Where to get ahold of them. Is there a "season".

Brought these from EU just thought I'd grow them instead of throwing away. (have an 8 year old tree in Sweden if you can believe that)

post-165356-13979654960449_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a farmer. (yet)

I just want to eat the yummy things. Have never seen one single avocado in Thailand ever. Where to get ahold of them. Is there a "season".

Brought these from EU just thought I'd grow them instead of throwing away. (have an 8 year old tree in Sweden if you can believe that)

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1397965493.940564.jpg

Every supermarket sells avocado's in Bangkok, 50-80 baht a piece. The ones grown in Thailand are sold in the supermarkets from Tops. Around November you can buy them and they are great.

You can be lucky with a tree grown from seed but it is better to buy a grafted avocadotree.

Petchaburn has lots of them already 2feet tall for sale.cheep.Yummy big bastards.I bo6ght more than 100 and planted them in my yang farm at bangsaphan

Sent from my SM-T315T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Petchaburn has lots of them already 2feet tall for sale.cheep.Yummy big bastards.I bo6ght more than 100 and planted them in my yang farm at bangsaphan

Sent from my SM-T315T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What variety were those 100 you planted? Is that the big cannonball avocado? It is wise to plant some more avocado's from another variety so they can pollinate eachother. I think if you have some A and B tree's you can expect a much bigger crop.

• 2 months later...

Anyone knows where in Nong Khai - Udon area I can buy grafted avocados ?

I found 4 plants at this years Khon Kaen Agro fair, not grafted... Have also planted a dozen seeds, straight into pots and they are all coming up.

• Like 1

Does anyone know where I can get some grafted avacado trees in the south? Or can I get some sent from somewhere.

Sorry can't help you for the south but if you just ask the shops for it they might order some tree's. That's how i got them.

You can also grow one from seed and graft it yourself. I m making cocktail avocadotree's now because i like to have several varietys and don't have much space.

It also works to send scions and graft them when they arrive, that even works from USA to Asia is what i read.

I have lived with my Haas avacado tree for almost 40 years now , and it was big when I moved here ( California)

some years there is nothing but leaves to rake up , this year it is full , right now they are about half grown and maybe 3-4 inches tall,

they will get to about 6 inches tall and much larger around,

and it seems to have changed the time of year , before it would be January - Febriary , but this year it will be September - October when they start falling.

I normally do not pick them , I let them rippen on the tree and fall off , they crash onto the house roof and I pick them up in the morning !

this year I am sure I will have too many ,

Question is how do you keep the squirels away ? They do not really eat them , more play with them when they are small , maybe take one nibble and it spoils them ,

sometimes you can see dozens of small nibbled ones on the ground..in one day

there is no money to be made from them here , there are many backyard trees like mine , plus 1000s of acres of commercial orchards,

it is just nice to have a big old shade tree that could crush my house someday !

I

• 3 weeks later...

On Chatuchak plantmarket (wednesday) they sell grafted avocado tree's now. The seller is at the ringroad near the subway station. He has pictures at his tree's and sells Hass and the big avocado, both are grafted.

Also ask the other sellers near him for grafted avocado, this guy has them because i asked every time i visited the plantmarket. I bought many but he still gets new ones.

On Chatuchak plantmarket (wednesday) they sell grafted avocado tree's now. The seller is at the ringroad near the subway station. He has pictures at his tree's and sells Hass and the big avocado, both are grafted.

Also ask the other sellers near him for grafted avocado, this guy has them because i asked every time i visited the plantmarket. I bought many but he still gets new ones.

You are lucky to find them. Up here in Chiang Mai, have not run across anything like that. All my trees died last summer after the grafts took hold and were looking good. Would give Avocado another run if I could find grafted trees up here.

You are lucky to find them. Up here in Chiang Mai, have not run across anything like that. All my trees died last summer after the grafts took hold and were looking good. Would give Avocado another run if I could find grafted trees up here.

Yes i 'm lucky. I even get many scions soon from real variety's, finally i found them.

Why did your tree's die? No water? rootrot?

Just keep on asking the sellers then they will order them.