Apartment Electricity Bill 22,000 Baht. Help!

mangoman007

We moved into an apartment in the Asoke area three months ago. Our electricity bill each month has averaged 22,000 baht. Has anyone heard of such an outrageous amount before? We are being charged 6.5 by per-unit by the landlord but we only use the air-conditioners in four bedrooms for 8-10 hours at night. We never use it in the rest of the apartment. We have checked the meter outside of the unit to make sure the landlord is charging us the correct amount, and we even had the Mitsubishi air conditioning people out here checking to make sure that the air-conditioners are functioning properly.

Anyone have any insights? Could the landlord spinning up the meters? I also don't know why they have the thermostats on the ceilings of units which would seem to indicate that the air-conditioners must work to cool whole room up to the ceiling rather than to standing or sleeping height.

That sounds way too high. We have 3 ACs that we use in our house 2 x 18,000 btu and 1 x 12,000 btu, all for 6-10 hours per day + 2 TVs, 2 fridges, and all the standard things for a 3 bedroom house + maid's room and our electric bill is never over 3,000 baht per month.

from what i've read the average cost is 3.75 bt/unit. So yeah, your rate is very high.

What I would do; talk to the other people in your building, get the lowdown from them. whats their rate, how much do they pay per month, etc.

Check water heater, is it an old one? Fridge super inefficient? But to be honest, that high of an elec bill isn't likely to be caused by appliances...its either the 6.5 bt/unit charge..or some other weirdness.

What size have your A/C units?

According to your figures, your monthly energy consumption is 3385 kWh. This are 113 kWh a day, with 10 hours running time 11.3 kWh per hour which are about 38'000 BTU.

I assume, that the bill is ok…?

22,000 baht a month!!! I can't imaging that being right, unless the whole apartment block is using your electric. I had 2 apartments connected to each other in BK, and the bill was around 2200 a month for both, and that included 2 air con units, cooking, TV & computers. However I had a single apartment in Ubon and the bill was 2000 a month, so I complained (other farangs also complained). The price miraculously dropped to around 800 a month after that.

If the actual electric you are using is correct, then you need to try and negotiate a better rate per unit, or find somewhere that charges a more appropriate rate, because you are throwing at least 10,000 baht a month away.

If you are running 4 A/C units all night, and you are paying double the government rate then I could see you hitting 22K without any tampering (probably 10K on a government meter).

We hit 4000-5000THB per month with 2 A/C all night at the government rate.

22K must pale in comparison to the amount of rent you must be paying for 4+ bedroom apartment in Asoke (bloody hell that must be expensive?)

Edited by dave111223

What size have your A/C units?

According to your figures, your monthly energy consumption is 3385 kWh. This are 113 kWh a day, with 10 hours running time 11.3 kWh per hour which are about 38'000 BTU.

I assume, that the bill is ok…?

Juehoe- Can I PM you about this? I have a question. I'd like to do these calculations and see how we compare

People say "air con running..." but the duty cycles you require of the compressor, or temp you set, is such a major factor. You can easily triple or I bet quadruple your bill if you run it very cold. One or two of your kids (assuming) could have it on 18 degrees or something, and that will just kill your bill for sure.

Also, you talk only about the air. Are you cooking? TV's in all those rooms? What is the profile of your apt?

In general though, 1 aircon for 10 hours a day may cost on average 1,500 per month at the most. Times 4 that is 6,000. Then times 2 since your rate it double brings you to 12,000. Since you have 4 bedrooms and I assume at least 4 to 5 people, and each person needs electricity for things, that can get to the extra 10k "missing". Possible anyway, but yes seems high to me.

The thing is, you need to move as you are paying double every month anyway with that rate and a large family. If you are alone it is no biggi but double your rate with multiple people and it is well worth the move or renegotiating the rate.

Edited by isawasnake

People say "air con running..." but the duty cycles you require of the compressor, or temp you set, is such a major factor. You can easily triple or I bet quadruple your bill if you run it very cold.

Also, you talk only about the air. Are you cooking? TV's in all those rooms? What is the profile of your apt?

In general though, 1 aircon for 10 hours a day may cost on average 1,500 per month at the most. Times 4 that is 6,000. Then times 2 since your rate it double brings you to 12,000. Since you have 4 bedrooms and I assume at least 4 to 5 people, and each person needs electricity for things, that can get to the extra 10k "missing". Possible anyway, but yes seems high to me.

The thing is, you need to move as you are paying double every month anyway with that rate and a large family. If you are alone it is no biggi but double your rate with multiple people and it is well worth the move or renegotiating the rate.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

whenever i read "i run my aircon..." without adding capacity and set temperature i feel like bah.gif

1 aircon for 10 hours a day may cost on average 1,500 per month at the most

it could be much more!

-18,000 btu/h, required room temperature 22ºC, 25m² bedroom with 2 occupants, 10 hours full blast = 10x2kWhx 30days = 600kWh/month @ 4.65 Baht/kWh (normal rate) = 2,790 Baht/month.

the rate the OP pays is THB 6.5/kWh = 600x6.5= THB 3,900 x 4 rooms = THB 15,600/month.

add other electric gadgets, e.g. 6 people showering twice a day, electric cooking, fridges, freezers, lighting, TVs, etc. the 22,000 Baht are well "within possible range".

• Like 2

^I was attempting to say, in general, or on average "at most". Not very good to generalize, but the average user will probably be under 1500 for 10 hours, whatever that means, lol.

when you read the multiple aircon thread you will find there's no such thing like "average" except the nonsensical and ad nauseam presented statements "i run my aircon x hours a day."

but whatever, shooting from the hip i'd say that 22,000 Baht electricity for a condo which is 'sandwiched' between other (most probably) airconditioned condos seems to be really on the high side even when taking 6.5Baht/kWh into consideration.

we have a single story detached home of which ~500m² living area are moderately cooled to an 'average' of 26-27ºC 24 hours a day. our consumption varies of course ±15% with the seasons and airconditioning is approximately 50-55% of our electricity bill which fluctuates between 12,000 and 17,000 Baht per month. our rate is 4.65 Baht/kWh.

Either way, if my bill was 22k a month, I would just rather shoot myself. That is just brutal. That is 4 times what I pay in rent. oh man I dont even want to think about it. anyway, when i said "average" i was just trying to help him in that if he runs it at a reasonable temp for 10 hours, that is what to expect, and work from there depending on his usage.

Edited by isawasnake

Either way, if my bill was 22k a month, I would just rather shoot myself. That is just brutal. That is 4 times what I pay in rent. oh man I dont even want to think about it. anyway, when i said "average" i was just trying to help him in that if he runs it at a reasonable temp for 10 hours, that is what to expect, and work from there depending on his usage.

unreasonable temperature must be the key to unravel the mystery! thumbsup.gif

Spending more than the average monthly wage on electricity bills in a month........there are some fortunate people out there.

My bill is on average 760 baht, but then I don't use the air con much.

I think the OP should have an electrician come by and do a test to measure the electric consumption.

Spending more than the average monthly wage on electricity bills in a month........there are some fortunate people out there.

I think the OP should have an electrician come by and do a test to measure the electric consumption.

760฿?? do you just sit around a single 60w globe and look out the window.

Thats so cheap

How big is the apartment ?

Most people pay 2000 to 4000 baht per month, with ac running , you are probably paying the electricity bill for the whole building.....

760฿?? do you just sit around a single 60w globe and look out the window.

Thats so cheap

That's around what I pay also, no aircon, TV on most of the day in the background, 2 computers, couple of fans (when hot), fridge, electric shower, water pump, outside lighting..

totster :)

^For sure. I cook at my place, have a water heater box thing, a washer, 40 inch flat screen, amp and speakers, air con run intermittently, and I pay 1000 on a good month, 1500 I think when i used my power tools and air more.

I have found through my personal research that the cheapest way to cool is via frequent showers, then leaving the water on you as you come out. I have perfected this method in fact smile.png Our water bill is like 200 baht every couple of months too. I don't even think we scrimp too much, and we pay about 1250 average i'd say. For us it is nice because in the hot season we get much less sun on our unit facing SE.

Edited by isawasnake

Take one day. Turn everything off except for maybe the refrigerator. Write down your meter numbers. The refrigerator should not cycle much as you won't be opening the door. Check into a hotel for the day/night.

Then see the next day if your meters numbers have unexpectedly or unreasonably moved.

• Like 1

If you are running 4 A/C units all night, and you are paying double the government rate then I could see you hitting 22K without any tampering (probably 10K on a government meter).

We hit 4000-5000THB per month with 2 A/C all night at the government rate.

22K must pale in comparison to the amount of rent you must be paying for 4+ bedroom apartment in Asoke (bloody hell that must be expensive?)

yep, i run 2 ac units nightly and one during the day when hot and paying govt rate i range betweeen 3500 and 6500 per month add another 20 hours of usage daily at nearly twice the rate and 22,000 is not hard to imagine

As others have said, it's not too difficult to run up a bill of that size, especially if you're on a non-governmental rate.

My elect. bill usually runs between 3-5k a month and thats with 1 air con only at nights and with all the usual appliances running.

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

Might be more of the same... but.

I am renting a 130 sqm in in Asok area, the price is 6 Baht unit (less than double the gov. rate), I work outside all day long and just turn the AC on around 9-10 hours at 23 degrees (The ACs are kind of old),

My concern is that I started paying 2500 the first month which is acceptable for me as this was the cheapest apartment I found in the area... next month I ended up paying 3500, I complained to the manager, still I had to accept it, I check the meter every single day... for the rest of the months I was in an average of 3800 to 4000 baht...

My surprise was one day when I received a bill of 6600 baht, as I check the meters nearly everyday, I used to consume 20 to 25 kWat a day, but in the last months I can see 45 to 55 Kwatt per day... I went to Europe and when I came back for one week of use they charged me 2000 baht... which I made my calculations and now my bill is 8000 baht a month...

I could agree to the fact that the ACs are old, that some days my girlfriend leaves the house later, that some Saturdays we have the AC running all day... but and increase of more than 60%??!!

I am wondering if the landlord has people tricking the meters as I believe some of my neighbors who work at home are paying 15000 and more...

My contract finishes on June, so I can't do much but complaining... so if anybody can give me their opinion?!

I don't know much about the possibility of the manager tricking this meters, but apart from the 6 baht per unit (compare to other condos is not that much...) the owner's making a fortune just on electricity bills...

Hi everyone,

I am renting a 130 sqm in in Asok area, the price is 6 Baht unit (less than double the gov. rate), I work outside all day long and just turn the AC on around 9-10 hours at 23 degrees (The ACs are kind of old),

My concern is that I started paying 2500 the first month which is acceptable for me as this was the cheapest apartment I found in the area... next month I ended up paying 3500, I complained to the manager, still I had to accept it, I check the meter every single day... for the rest of the months I was in an average of 3800 to 4000 baht...

My surprise was one day when I received a bill of 6600 baht, as I check the meters nearly everyday, I used to consume 20 to 25 kWat a day, but in the last months I can see 45 to 55 Kwatt per day... I went to Europe and when I came back for one week of use they charged me 2000 baht... which I made my calculations and now my bill is 8000 baht a month...

I could agree to the fact that the ACs are old, that some days my girlfriend leaves the house later, that some Saturdays we have the AC running all day... but and increase of more than 60%??!!

I am wondering if the landlord has people tricking the meters as I believe some of my neighbors who work at home are paying 15000 and more...

My contract finishes on June, so I can't do much but complaining... so if anybody can give me their opinion?!

I don't know much about the possibility of the manager tricking this meters, but apart from the 6 baht per unit (compare to other condos is not that much...) the owner's making a fortune just on electricity bills...

Switch everything off, unplug everything.. then go look at the meter. If it's turning there is an issue, get the manager to come and look for themselves.

totster :)

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Switch everything off, unplug everything.. then go look at the meter. If it's turning there is an issue, get the manager to come and look for themselves.

totster smile.png

Hi, Thank you!

I already did all of that... ;) If everything is off the counter stops...

Believe me when I feel I am being ripped off I can't even sleep well...

Hi everyone,

totster smile.png

In my last rented house the average bin was usually circa 6,000 B per month. 3 bedrooms, 2 A/c often going 24/7, plus a pool. We had a failure at the street and our meter got zapped and replaced with a new meter. We then got 3 months of bins in the 10,000 B range. Not sure which meter was faulty, maybe both. But that was one of the reasons I decided to move when the lease expired.

In a different house now, same size but no pool. Monthly electricity circa 4,500B per month.

Check your meter as suggested - it has been known for less scrupulous tenants to hack into your lines through the walls as fittings are often back-to-back. My son enjoyed 4 years of free electricity while studying at University as he and his flatmates did this. Not advocating his actions and I only found out years later. But I bet it's a common occurrence in Thailand.

Edited by Gsxrnz