Beautiful Spider.

Maigo6

Anybody know if this beauty is poisonous ?

post-4007-1141832309_thumb.jpg

I took this pic in Loei province, the Thai people I was with didn't worry about this Spider, but when the women saw a caterpillar crawling along the woodwork, they freaked out!

I didn't worry about the caterpillars, but this Spider was right above where we was sitting, and I kept making sure that this Spider was not on the move.

It's just an orb spider, and not dangerous to humans (I don't think!). I saw a lot up in Tak wandering through the fields the other day all along the edge of a lake. The large one you see is I think the female and if you look closely you may see a tiny male spider (minute in comparison to the female) there, strumming the web strands to let the female know it's a potential mate approaching, not dinner! :o

I didn't worry about the caterpillars, but this Spider was right above where we was sitting, and I kept making sure that this Spider was not on the move.

You need to become more concerned about caterpillars. There are good reasons that villagers treat them with a certain amount of respect and distance or immediately act against them with extreme prejudice. And the prettier and more spectaular the caterpillar, the more you need to maintain distance.

You need to become more concerned about caterpillars. There are good reasons that villagers treat them with a certain amount of respect and distance or immediately act against them with extreme prejudice. And the prettier and more spectaular the caterpillar, the more you need to maintain distance.

What's the reason?

i thought it was a type of weaver spider called Argiope versicolor.

Just lloked into it a bit more, apparenltlly they are Orb Weaver Spiders, and from what I can see definately Argiope sp. but not sure if it is a Versicolor coz the pics I saw looked a little different. :o

If you want to be sure try here

Thye seem to have some kind of 'send your pic in and we'll indentify it' service as well if you really want to know. But I reckon if you search round the site you'll find it anyway. :D

The "hairy" caterpillars are poisonous. If you touch them, the miniture spines will puncture your skin and you will get a small dose of venom.

This can cause anything from an itchy rash to excruciating pain.

Johpa said, "And the prettier and more spectaular the caterpillar, the more you need to maintain distance." So then you're saying it really has to do with whether a caterpillar is hairy or not.

Some colorful ones, that are not hairy such as the Monarch (not found in Thailand), are avoided by most predators like birds because they produce a nasty taste. Some hairy ones might have some toxins, but I'd have to guess very few could actually create a serious reaction to humans, although maybe irritating. Can you give an example of a caterpillar found in Thailand that actually causes excruciating pain? Juat curious as to whether such fears are well founded or not.

Edited by AmeriThai

You know I found that odd also my wife afraid of caterpillers other bugs no problem and even those huge lizards no problem. So why are the caterpillars dangerous?

Nice pic, Maigo. I can't blame you for being leery about unknown spiders. I would have moved to another spot.

Come to think of it I had the same reaction from my wife and other females over a caterpillar once. Not thinking anything of it (I'm used the harmless caterpillars in the U.S. midwest) I picked it up and placed it on some nearby foliage. Hmmm, I'll have to think twice next time.

You know I found that odd also my wife afraid of caterpillers other bugs no problem and even those huge lizards no problem.

I had a laugh the other day. It seems most of the people in my building are from Isaan. They think nothing about ordering a bag of fried bugs from the passing vendor (even those ones that look like big cockroaches).

Yet when a real cockroach crawls out of the sewer, they act like it was a big, hairy rat, running around screaming for someone to kill it.

They don't like the centipedes (or are they millipedes ?) either.

I'm surprised Pattaya (and other areas) don't have a rat problem (not where I live any ways). With all the garbage laying around everywhere, you'd think rats would outnumber people by now.

i thought it was a type of weaver spider called Argiope versicolor.

Just lloked into it a bit more, apparenltlly they are Orb Weaver Spiders, and from what I can see definately Argiope sp. but not sure if it is a Versicolor coz the pics I saw looked a little different. :o

If you want to be sure try here

Thye seem to have some kind of 'send your pic in and we'll indentify it' service as well if you really want to know. But I reckon if you search round the site you'll find it anyway. :D

I also looked into it after seeing your Post, and Noodles post, nearest I can come up with is, St Andrews Cross spider, note on this spider that the eight legs are paired off together and make 4 pairs of legs, it is Arigope sp. ( well done Noodles and Bkkmadness ).

Seems like they are pretty harmless to humans, but if you're a flying insect, you're in trouble! :D

Edited by Maigo6

You know I found that odd also my wife afraid of caterpillers other bugs no problem and even those huge lizards no problem.

I had a laugh the other day. It seems most of the people in my building are from Isaan. They think nothing about ordering a bag of fried bugs from the passing vendor (even those ones that look like big cockroaches).

Yet when a real cockroach crawls out of the sewer, they act like it was a big, hairy rat, running around screaming for someone to kill it.

They don't like the centipedes (or are they millipedes ?) either.

I'm surprised Pattaya (and other areas) don't have a rat problem (not where I live any ways). With all the garbage laying around everywhere, you'd think rats would outnumber people by now.

Bear in mind that the centipedes (especially the large ones) have a very nasty bite and millipedes can exude a toxic substance if aggravated.

All spiders have a venomous bite but most cannot penetrate human skin or deliver enough poison to be more than irritating…but some can!

Pattaya has a rat problem…if you have an open kitchen at the back of your house…leave something out overnight and check it the next morning. My friends G/F used to get up early every morning so she could clear up and he never found out about the rats sharing his house….

Unfortunately the number one predators for rats are snakes, and they are greatly and unnecessarily feared here so the balance is in favour of the rats.

Pattaya has a rat problem…if you have an open kitchen at the back of your house…leave something out overnight and check it the next morning.

Unfortunately the number one predators for rats are snakes, and they are greatly and unnecessarily feared here so the balance is in favour of the rats.

Really ? Wow, I've yet to see a rat (or a snake for that matter).

Right across the street from the building I'm in are the garbage cans used by a local restaurant (and the residents of my building). Garbage collection is every 3 days, but whew, by the time they come around, the bins are overflowing and the stench is over-powering.

I did a big clean-up yesterday, filled 4 large garbage bags with crap, swept the area and rearranged some of the flower pots. No sign of any critters, except the local flea-factories (soi dogs). (and a gazillion ants of course, biting little buggers)

Guess we are lucky (so far). Haven't seen a lot of spiders either (maybe the area just stinks too much ?) :o

What's the reason?

I can only relay the collective wisdom of the hill folks. There are caterpillars that are played with by children just as I use to play with the tent caterpillars in my home town. But in my home town those were just about the only species of caterpillars to be encountered. At my Thai home in the hills I encounter many varieties, some small and some huge. Some of the hairier ones can cause, and have caused me, some minor skin irritation. These are commonly called stinging hair caterpillars in English. But a few I have encountered, often large and colorful with long spikes are avoided or killed by the same people who know exactly which local plants, spiders, and bugs are edible and which are not. If the local residents with centuries of collective wisdom in the mountains in this region deem it wise to avoid most caterpillars then I would heed their advice.

A quick Google search shows that these spikes are atop a structure called tubercles, "...a small, knob-like or rounded protuberance (a short, fat tentacle) that sometimes bears a spine or stores and can release a chemical." Further brief research indicates that caterpillars, and even butterflies, often become poisonous from eating plants that contain poisons while other caterpillars actually have venomous glands. Thus some caterpillars are poisonous for prey to eat and some are venomous, even for us humans, to touch. So in Thailand, you don't touch caterpillars unless you are certain, by watching locals, that they are safe. Sort of like not eating just any old mushroom you find in the woods.

post-20031-1141879139_thumb.jpgThere was a caterpillar that looked a lot like this one outside our classroom last week.

The kids were all trying to kill it saying it was poisonus. I decided to cut the branch off and re-locate the little guy to a place where it wasn't going to be stabbed to death.

Edited by DeathbyDurian

post-20031-1141879139_thumb.jpgThere was a caterpillar that looked a lot like this one outside our classroom last week.

The kids were all trying to kill it saying it was poisonus. I decided to cut the branch off and re-locate the little guy to a place where it wasn't going to be stabbed to death.

The first time I noticed one in Thailand was on the steps just outside our office building (about 3cm long and brown). As I approached it to get a better look I heard a small screech from one of the secretaries who promptly told me not to touch it because it will cause a severe itch.

I suspect many Thais will not distinguish between one that is and one that isn't dangerous and treat them all with trepidation, just the way I treat all spiders. :o

The "hairy" caterpillars are poisonous. If you touch them, the miniture spines will puncture your skin and you will get a small dose of venom.

Johpa said, "And the prettier and more spectaular the caterpillar, the more you need to maintain distance." So then you're saying it really has to do with whether a caterpillar is hairy or not.

Some colorful ones, that are not hairy such as the Monarch (not found in Thailand), are avoided by most predators like birds because they produce a nasty taste. Some hairy ones might have some toxins, but I'd have to guess very few could actually create a serious reaction to humans, although maybe irritating. Can you give an example of a caterpillar found in Thailand that actually causes excruciating pain? Juat curious as to whether such fears are well founded or not.

The really colourful ones are warning birds that they are poisenous to eat. They probably don't pose a risk to humans as long as you don't eat them.

Sorry I can't give you an example of a hairy caterpillar that causes excruciating pain, everything I know about them comes from the Animal Planet and National Geographic channels.

I suspect many Thais will not distinguish between one that is and one that isn't dangerous and treat them all with trepidation, just the way I treat all spiders. :o

Sounds like the way I treat the BG's around here. Can't distinguish between the nice ones and the dangerous ones, so I treat them all with "trepidation" :D

And, considering that one or two of them may be "Black Widows", it's still on topic ! :D

Sounds like the way I treat the BG's around here. Can't distinguish between the nice ones and the dangerous ones, so I treat them all with "trepidation" :D

Perhaps "extreme prejudice" would be suitable for some. :o

Pattaya has a rat problem…if you have an open kitchen at the back of your house…leave something out overnight and check it the next morning.

Really ? Wow, I've yet to see a rat (or a snake for that matter).

Right across the street from the building I'm in are the garbage cans used by a local restaurant (and the residents of my building). Garbage collection is every 3 days, but whew, by the time they come around, the bins are overflowing and the stench is over-powering.

I did a big clean-up yesterday, filled 4 large garbage bags with crap, swept the area and rearranged some of the flower pots. No sign of any critters, except the local flea-factories (soi dogs). (and a gazillion ants of course, biting little buggers)

Guess we are lucky (so far). Haven't seen a lot of spiders either (maybe the area just stinks too much ?) :o

That may be down to not really noticing or thinking about it...you'll probably start see more rats and things now the subject’s come up. Of course you're more likely to notice them at night...so it helps if you're a bit of a night owl.

I had a serious problem about 18 months ago....even had evidence (droppings ) that they had been across my bed!!!

There were 2 factors that I could see...first was an extraordinary amount of rain coupled 2ndly with a drain cover in the kitchen that wasn't rat proof...they actually gnawed through a grid...we had to fix a stronger mesh in place and to stop the cockroaches seal it with mastic. Prior to this a load of caustic soda was poured into the drain…this solved the problem.

The gutters and drains of Pattaya are the undercover superhighways for rodents, they can get anywhere they want…

As for snakes…there don’t seem to be many in Pattaya at least on the coastal side of Sukumvit…I live in more rural surroundings now and have the occasional green tree snake but am yet to see a Python or Cobra… My neighbours killed a large Python (much to my disgust) a couple of months back and chucked the headless body on a rubbish tip by the road.

You know I found that odd also my wife afraid of caterpillers other bugs no problem and even those huge lizards no problem. So why are the caterpillars dangerous?

Hmm... Catapillars.. don't talk to me about them...

There's a certain one that lives on the Cair (This is the thai name, not sure of the english) tree, and is usually found there around November time. It wanders around shedding it's hairs on drying clothes and wanders throught the bedding. The result is a very nasty and painful rash which lasts for about 2-3 weeks . :o

There is reason to be scared... I know first hand.

The offending tree has been cut down.

totster :D

Edited by Totster

AFAIK....There are no spiders in Thailand that are poisonous to humans....Some will give a nasty bite but wont kill you. I always point out redbacks (widows to you yanks) to Thai visitors here because they are so common and usually will be somewhere you least expect them....had a plague of them here recently...killed hundreds of them.

Some caterpillars can cause a nasty reaction and the spiny or hairy ones seem to be the ones to watch out for...Always heed the advice of the locals... :o