Blogger Richard Barrow Tweets Pic Of Corrupt Thai Official

george

an official at the Revenue Department

Has the official and his office been named?

before it could be deleted, the photo began circulating throughout the Thai online community

Can the photo be posted here for the English-language online community?

• Like 1

an official at the Revenue Department

Has the official and his office been named?.

before it could be deleted, the photo began circulating throughout the Thai online community

Can the photo be posted here for the English-language online community?

just go to his twitter acc ,can see it there.

Make a picture of the organization chart you see on the wall of almost every government office or police station and you get them all on one photo giggle.gif

Right on - wouldn't it more news-worthy to post a picture of a Thai official who wasn't corrupt? These poor guys are just doing what they've been instructed to do - not asking for a bribe screws them in their organisation. Barrow should have tweeted the official's pic as an example of a maverick who bucked the trend.

• Like 2

I loath and detest these corrupt officials. The guy should had been sacked immediately.

But I think Richard Barrow should have approached the problem differently. He could have demanded to see a Superior, shouted the place down if necessary, and then explained the situation demanding that he is charged the correct fee for the tax documents service and then stood his ground until he obtained a desired result. If his complaints fell onto deaf ears or no action was taken, then he should have given a warning of what actions he would take and then gone to the extremes as has what`s now happened, although due to Thailand`s strict defamation laws he`s still taking a big risk. For example what happens if the official denies the allegations against him?

I have had similar experiences here in the past and after displaying my disapproval and letting them know that I`m no push over, without too much aggression, but just by being deadly serious raising my voice a bit and firm, I have always won the argument and after that never again had problems with any particular Government departments.

Let them understand, this is Thailand and the ways to deal with situations here cannot be equated with those of the West, even though in my mind I would like to see that moron tin pot official burned at the stake.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

Do not you realize this officers family wwill now starve on his regular salary

LOL, don't think so, ill gotten ill spent !

It's not a reason to ask about bribes. Bored that farangs are incessantly scammed for services just because the employee is too lazy to do his job fast and well. Pay bribe to get faster an official document...

Congratulations to the poster who have enough balls to post it on the web with maybe a risk of retaliatory ! Condemning the corruption and officials bad behaviour !

Edited by Westaurel
  • Like 1

Trouble is, Richard has no proof, unless he made an audio recording.

I smell a criminal case against Richard coming up, one in which he'll not have a leg to stand.

Whilst it is admirable, he's not very smart doing this.

Is audio recording allowed in Thai court without authorization? From the picture I smell a wittiness! Now that is allowed in This courts.

• Like 1

Never ever paid any bribe to any official here in Thailand since 24years. Every time I'm asked for I shout loudly into the hall, pardon me, I didn't understand what you've said? 2000 or 3000THB for what, please explain it to me! I don't understand Sir.! Silence after that, paying the regular fees and that's it.

This is the sensible way to do it. What Barrow has done is very stupid.
  • Like 1

Great. I've got a car cam with sound in my car just waiting for the cops to ask for a bribe or another vehicle to cause a crash Everyone should do the same. This is something we can do to help stop corruption instead of whinging about it all the time.

Planning on getting myself one - what is it, where did you buy it, how much was it? Can you give a few details please?

(sorry, off-thread question, but then again, one could take the cam from the car to the tax office tongue.png )

• Like 1