Blogger Richard Barrow Tweets Pic Of Corrupt Thai Official

george

Corruption may appear OK until you become a victim and are at the receiving end of it.

I personally know of a case where a man with extremely poor eyesight failed his driving test and paid an official under the counter for a driving license. He ended up being involved in a fatal car accident that he was driving, killing himself, seriously injuring his passenger and an killing innocent motorcyclist. At the inquest, it was confirmed that he should never had been permitting to drive a vehicle, but nothing was done and this practice of corruption still continues today. It`s a case of the good, the bad and the ugly.

I can clearly see Richard Barrow`s point of view, my only disagreement is that I believe he went the wrong way and well over the top in dealing with it. Now it appears he is up the creek without a paddle.

• Like 1

Some farangs' idealism is so annoying. Corruption works both ways. Those same mere 1,000 bahts could get you out of trouble somewhere and save you days instead of going through all the official red tape and formalities... If one hates "corruption" so much, why not take up residency in Florida or Spain if that is your thing. But no, they have to bring their "upholder of Anglo good-boy morality" everywhere they go rolleyes.gif

Time to realize that most of the things that make Thailand such a great alternative to live for farangs are precisely all those little things that go against mainstream Anglo morality.

While they're at it, those guys could also militate for mandatory social security and retirement plans, welfare benefits, road safety, women equality, mass immigration and against tax evasion and pretty soon it will be just as expensive, limitative and boring as your regular Euro/US/Australian watering hole. Farangs in the end are creating their own hell.

"Until the end, I will remain a child of Europe, of worry and of shame; I don't have any hopeful message to deliver. For the Western world, I

don't feel hate, at the most an utter contempt. I only know that, as much as we are, we stink of egoism, masochism and death. We have

created a system in which it has become simply impossible to live; and furthermore, we keep exporting it." -- Michel Houellebecq ("Extension of the Field of Struggle"), author of a trilogy on the misery of human, social and sexual relationships of modern Westerners.

i couldnt agree less. To say paying bribes can also get you out of trouble is just a kind of hippy irresponsible idealism that in the long term ends up hurting others.. all for personal gain.. in the end just plain selfish and self serving. Most hippies were actually closet fascists, v narcissistic imo

Edited by fish fingers
  • Like 1

Never ever paid any bribe to any official here in Thailand since 24years. Every time I'm asked for I shout loudly into the hall, pardon me, I didn't understand what you've said? 2000 or 3000THB for what, please explain it to me! I don't understand Sir.! Silence after that, paying the regular fees and that's it.

Which jail are you in? I will send a package of liniment..

I say good on him for not letting the official push him around. It is sad though that so many here think trouble isnt far around the corner for him. Fingers crossed nothing of the sort happens and this whole story is soon forgotten about.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Do you call it corruption? I call it a accelerator for
getting faster what I need.

We do always look at the Thai people (official) and we
didn't see was is going on in this country, foreigner prostitution, foreigner
criminals etcetera...

Thailand become more and more a criminal refugee.

British Ambassador to Thailand Mark Kent joined Barrow on his anti-corruption movement on Twitter by tweeting: "UK Bribery Act applies to UK citizens overseas. We encourage any UK citizen who is asked for a bribe to report it."

The could mean he'd be committing an offence by paying the bribe.

Edit: posted previously, true.

Edited by harrycallahan

Do not you realize this officers family wwill now starve on his regular salary

Really? I don't think so. tongue.png

Sure, the Thai wage is much lower than ours but starving is a little bit of an exaggeration. He's working for the government so he's actually got an alright wage for a Thai national. tongue.png

And if his wages are low how is that my problem or my responsibility to increase his salary through bribes? If wages are too low in Thailand (which I believe they are) it's up to the Thais to demand a better social deal from their politicians.

What his Excellency fails to understand is that there is a difference between Bribery and Extortion.

If you are caught at that traffic stop and the police demand 200 baht from you, that is Extortion..

If you offer the police 200 baht instead of getting a ticket then that is Bribery..

In this case, Barrow was being Extorted for 1000 Baht, if he had paid it then Barrow would face no consequence..

But if Barrow had tried to gain an advantage for himself by offering a bribe then he could potentially fall foul of the bribery act.

Mark Kent needs to join the real world!!

Very true--but, is either option OK?

I am as guilty as the next guy, at the Traffic stop, caught speeding [allegedly], but I do prefer the 200 baht option to the 'go to local Police Station and waste 2 hours' alternative.

I agree, though, neither should be acceptable.

vinniekintana #60

"Farangs should be keeping their mouths shut, in the public arena...we have no civil rights here.."

A taxpayer should have top civil rights, at least more than somebody who does not pay taxes!

Really? I don't think so. tongue.png

Sure, the Thai wage is much lower than ours but starving is a little bit of an exaggeration. He's working for the government so he's actually got an alright wage for a Thai national. tongue.png

And the accumulation of all the other bribes he has taken through the years. Knock 'em dead Richard.

• Like 1

Good on yer Barrow, but watch your back.

It's comments like this that make me throw up a little in my mouth. "Watch your back"

I hope this guy keeps exposing the people that are extorting and fight the good fight, protest and survive, its that simple!

If more people expose the extortion and corruption it would end.

Break the chain people, don't be a slave to corruption and greed!

if you hadn't noticed, i was encouraging the guy pukebreath

Corruption: In Ban Tawaii (Chiang Mai) every single shop that sells wooden products pay 500 a month to corrupt Forestry officials. That's 250,000 baht a month at least in under the counter payments. Indeed if you want your licence to work with wood, you then pay between 30-60k on top of the normal licence fee. This corruption is everywhere.

People who complain about corruption should go home. I like it and will stay here until it works this way !

When I hear replies like this I can only ask what should my Thai mother in law do? She is already home, nowhere else to go and hates corruption.

Her eldest son was killed by a drunk driver who paid off police to avoid all charges and compensation.

• Like 2

Never ever paid any bribe to any official here in Thailand since 24years. Every time I'm asked for I shout loudly into the hall, pardon me, I didn't understand what you've said? 2000 or 3000THB for what, please explain it to me! I don't understand Sir.! Silence after that, paying the regular fees and that's it.

This is the sensible way to do it. What Barrow has done is very stupid.

That's one approach...

Here's another. What about demanding a written receipt prior to paying anything, with the amount noted and signed by the bribe extorting official???

I suspect, that would be another way to back down these types without exposing oneself to the potential problems Richard might well face now.

I doubt this kind of guy would sign and issue such a thing. But if he did, that would be valid evidence in any official action, unlike a Twitter photo.

This is one of Richard's tweets from earlier... I hope he's not right, but fear he might be.

Richard Barrow

@RichardBarrow

I have this sinking feeling that Immigration will refuse to renew my visa now & they will kick me out of the country :-(

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

British Ambassador to Thailand Mark Kent joined Barrow on his anti-corruption movement on Twitter by tweeting: "UK Bribery Act applies to UK citizens overseas. We encourage any UK citizen who is asked for a bribe to report it."

Report it to whom? The local police? The British embassy in Bangkok? Why on earth would they care?

Fair play to the guy if this is a true story.

Maybe Mark Kent wishes to remind the british expats that is ilegal to offer or give a bribe in any country.

Isn't that what he did?

Sorry I read this last night just before going to bed and now I look at it again I can see is misunderstood it.

What's amusing is how the Thai still can't support a farang. "There's got to be more to the story" or "this is a lie, if it was a real bribe it would of been more than 1000". Thai can do no wrong when it comes to Thai vs Farang.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a flashbacks from you english guys and your comments as soon as there is a murder, suicide or something like that, and your comments are also exactly like that.... CSI-like comments..... never ever believe what is written...

Glegolo

Never knowingly paid?

How about the police?

Edited by wilcopops

Trouble is, Richard has no proof, unless he made an audio recording.

I smell a criminal case against Richard coming up, one in which he'll not have a leg to stand.

Whilst it is admirable, he's not very smart doing this.

Is audio recording allowed in Thai court without authorization? From the picture I smell a wittiness! Now that is allowed in This courts.

Actually if MORE people did this, the less likely the "authorities" would be to kick up a fuss........shear embarrassment often works with corrupt Thai officials.

• Like 1

Report it to whom? The local police? The British embassy in Bangkok? Why on earth would they care?

Fair play to the guy if this is a true story.

THe more reports the more likely it is to be noticed.

THere seems to be a plethora of "roll-over-and-take-its" on this thread.

Edited by wilcopops

Don´t feel pity for this officers family. They may have to sell the new Benz, but easy come - easy go. Life goes on. They can still eat somtam and rice every day.

Or maybe they did not know anything about this extra income, if he used to spend it all, in karaoke bars and massage parlors on the way home from office.

Edited by Xonax

Next time I go to do 90 day reporting I am going to take a camera --Last week I saw a farange police volunteer take a passport with 500 bt in it from a farange at the door ,---jump the queue of about 40 people waiting for the 90 day reporting at Soi 5 Immigration Pattaya and get that passport checked and paper stamped straight away

We would be very busy if we post pictures of every person in Thailand to be open for bribe...

Within Thais it is common that you want something from officials....is it about land transfers....regular documents....that you have to give him/her some bath.

Not sure about the rate Thais pay, but with farang in family the story starts with 1000bath.

Actually we have to be greatful that the regular police officer just asks for 100...

Lately in our area it raised to a point where it created big trouble and more people rejecting.

The land documents are to be changed to chanote and for about 1Rai the "fee" was about 50000bath.

Latest status is that most probably the few rejecting will go for free and the rest ....

We were also of the rejecting party as I gave a shit what document we have...I do not need chanote for being able to borrow on the land.

Many Thais need it as the private credit sharks around have tremendous fees and with chanote you are able to go to bank!

Sad to see how many just happy to have some piece of land to live on had to borrow money to pay the bribe of some officials.

Or how the 50000bath for release of the 16year old daughter to a 55year old thai who she never met before but to who a finacial secure future was promised....will disapear!

Thailand live...the land of smile...unfortunately a fake smile...:(

There is a law here the same as defamation of character but as in most countries if its true then you lose and they win , but in Thailand libel /defamation if its true or not you will lose and the Thai that took you to court will win every time.

Edited by nevets
  • Like 1