Renew First Year Driving Licence To 5 Year - Where In Pattya?

TramsRepus

That's the place.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai%20license%20Checklist.pdf has all the details.

You don't need to pay the 300B mentioned on that page for the residence certificate unless you want it immediately. If you can wait it's 200B which is still 200B more than it should be.

Doctor's certificate is 100B in most clinics.

That's the place.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai%20license%20Checklist.pdf has all the details.

You don't need to pay the 300B mentioned on that page for the residence certificate unless you want it immediately. If you can wait it's 200B which is still 200B more than it should be.

Thanks BPB, Some says that if i have a work permit ,which i have, i don't need the residence certificate. Is that correct?

That's the place.

Thanks BPB, Some says that if i have a work permit ,which i have, i don't need the residence certificate. Is that correct?

You do not need a certificate of residence if you have a work permit.

That's the place.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai license Checklist.pdf has all the details.

Yes, a Residence Permit is Required of All Foreigners regardless of your Visa Type.

That's the place.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai license Checklist.pdf has all the details.

Yes, a Residence Permit is Required of All Foreigners regardless of your Visa Type.

Last time I went, I took my WP, with no Residence Permit, which was accepted, no questions asked.

This massive thread in the Motoring Forum is thorough and searchable.

Indeed, but as with many things in Thailand the rules can vary quite significantly depending on which area you are in. So I think that Pattaya-specific answers can be more helpful here, which of course doesnt guarantee that they will all be correct.

Whether or not a Immigration Office or Officer asks for Residency Documents, One should have them in case they are asked to produce them.

In the past I have seen persons get a Thai License with all kinds of visa's (does not mean they meet the Visa Requirements). Generally, the same documents are required of all foreigners that apply for a Thai Driver License.

I recently renewed an expired Thai Driver License. The Officials said they are now cracking down and due to Computerization and Commmon Requirements and Records, All Expats must meet the Standards just as Thai's Do.

This includes color blindness test, reaction time, and depth perception, viewing endless video's, reading their Driver handbook, Driving test for both Car and Motorcycle (if needing either or both) and a multiple choice test for Motorcycle and Car. And I still had a Valid License for both Car and Motorcycle from my Home Country. Didn't matter. Expats must now meet the Thai Requirements.

Yes, the OP said he has a work permit, but not the type of Visa (Probably an O Visa). My reply was covering All Visa Types and information pertaining to all readers of this Forum.

Edited by KimoMax

Whether or not a Immigration Office or Officer asks for Residency Documents, One should have them in case they are asked to produce them.

In the past I have seen persons get a Thai License with all kinds of visa's (does not mean they meet the Visa Requirements). Generally, the same documents are required of all foreigners that apply for a Thai Driver License.

I recently renewed an expired Thai Driver License. The Officials said they are now cracking down and due to Computerization and Commmon Requirements and Records, All Expats must meet the Standards just as Thai's Do.

This includes color blindness test, reaction time, and depth perception, viewing endless video's, reading their Driver handbook, Driving test for both Car and Motorcycle (if needing either or both) and a multiple choice test for Motorcycle and Car. And I still had a Valid License for both Car and Motorcycle from my Home Country. Didn't matter. Expats must now meet the Thai Requirements.

Yes, the OP said he has a work permit, but not the type of Visa (Probably an O Visa). My reply was covering All Visa Types and information pertaining to all readers of this Forum.

An immigration officer would not ask for residency documents, the immigration officer would be the one issuing them.

Yes many visa types can apply for a driving licence .

If you have a work permit then the type of visa does not come into play, as with many things - a work permit is very handy, trumps visas!

Only countries listed can have a direct exchange of licence (i assume from your writing style you are british) Thailand is not one of them, never has been, so expats need to continue to meet the requirements, nothing new there, unless you have an IDP to acompany your existing UK licence.

You can get a visa - many types, but it is not the same as an extension of stay, and an extension of stay and a visa are not the same as a work permit - clear.

Edit to add: Do we really need one. sometimes two driving licence threads per week on the Pattaya forum?? seems to be the norm so far this year....UTFSE !!!

Edited by LennyW
  • Like 1

An immigration officer would not ask for residency documents, the immigration officer would be the one issuing them.

Yes many visa types can apply for a driving licence .

If you have a work permit then the type of visa does not come into play, as with many things - a work permit is very handy, trumps visas!

Only countries listed can have a direct exchange of licence (i assume from your writing style you are british) Thailand is not one of them, never has been, so expats need to continue to meet the requirements, nothing new there, unless you have an IDP to acompany your existing UK licence.

You can get a visa - many types, but it is not the same as an extension of stay, and an extension of stay and a visa are not the same as a work permit - clear.

KinoMax, you are misinformed. Lenny, yes you are correct. Even people with only tourist visa can "exchange"/apply for a Thai driving license. I have seen it my self. I could "exchange" my own country licenses, car and motorcycle, for Thai equals without any test in Bangkok last year.

Edited by TramsRepus