1St Time Visitor Visa - Uk

I appreciate this topic has been covered many times before, but this isn't something I have followed much and searching for specific information is not easy.

My situation is that I have been living in Thailand for 5 years, have been working on the same visa/work permit here for the entire time. Met my wife nearly 3 years ago, married last year and have a baby daughter of one month.

I found a good deal on flights to the UK for Christmas time and booked, but don't have a visa - something you're not supposed to do I know, but the flights were cheap and I see no reason why my wife shouldn't get a visa for a two week stay. However, I want to plan this early and make sure everything is in place.

I understand the UK wants to see a reason for visit, means to support and a reason to return. A few questions -

Reason to visit -

is it sufficient just to state 'visiting family with husband and daughter over Christmas'?

Does she need to show proof of her extended relationship with me, or would the marriage certificate and birth certificate of our daughter with both parents' names suffice? Would a joint bank account work be helpful?

Means to support herself -

Health care - would it be necessary to obtain health insurance for the UK prior to visa application?

A letter stating I will support her from myself is obviously easy to do, but what are they looking for here? Do they want to see bank statements in my name? Should I be putting money regularly into a joint account and building funds in preparation for the trip?

My sister can supply a letter stating she has somewhere to stay. What needs to accompany this?

Reason to return -

At present, my wife does not work, we've decided she should be a full time mother until our daughter reaches school age. Is my extended period at work sufficient?

My work permit has just been renewed until March 2014, though it is out of sync with my visa which won't be due for renewal until late October. My wife intends to apply for her visa in early October, later would be difficult as getting to BKK is not easy. Would it be a problem to use my employment as a reason to return if my visa was expiring imminently (taking into consideration my repeated extensions based on same employment and valid work permit)?

If not, she'll have to 'find work'.

I should note that we currently have no intention of returning to the UK for any extended period of time.

Thanks in advance.

Same as you have booked my tickets before flying but my wife has been to the UK many times.

Some answers - Visiting husbands family is a good enough reason, your work here is actually a reason to return.

Just as a rough guide I use the following documents when my wife applies, although not all relevant to you it gives you a nice starter.

1. Form VAF 1B plus photo.

2. Letter from me explaining why we are applying now.

3. Printed Application from on-line application

4. Her current Passport and copy.

5. Her previous Passport and copy.

6. Her ID card and copy.

7. Her Tambien Baan plus copy.

8. Marriage Certificate plus copy.

9. Letter from Employer giving her leave when required.

10. Pay slips from her employment plus copies.

11. Papers for the 2 Condos plus copies.

12. Letter from my mum giving us permission to stay at her house.

13. Letter from the lawyer proving my mum is the owner.

14. Copy of her Photo page from UK Passport proving British Citizen.

15. My Passport plus copy.

16. Cashiers cheque for 3952baht payable to the British Embassy Bangkok.

17. Itinerary

18. My work contract

19. Bank books

I also give them a rough indication of costs during the trip, I usually use around 12GBP per day per person (food costs when out of the house) + spending money.

• Like 1

Have you read UK Visit Visa Basics and the links from there?

is it sufficient just to state 'visiting family with husband and daughter over Christmas'?

Yes

Does she need to show proof of her extended relationship with me, or would the marriage certificate and birth certificate of our daughter with both parents' names suffice?

Should be OK, but if you have evidence that you live together then I'd include it.

Would a joint bank account work be helpful?

If you have one, but opening one just for the visa application is a waste of time.

Health care - would it be necessary to obtain health insurance for the UK prior to visa application?

No; but as none of you are UK residents then none of you are eligible for any NHS treatment except initial emergency care in an A & E department. Therefore I strongly recommend that you take it out for all of you.

A letter stating I will support her from myself is obviously easy to do, but what are they looking for here? Do they want to see bank statements in my name? Should I be putting money regularly into a joint account and building funds in preparation for the trip?

Funds for the visit can come from you, your wife, you both or a third party(ies). Whoever is providing funds needs to provide evidence that the funds are available; e.g. bank statements, pay slips. The account you use at the moment should be fine, but if you do open an account just for funds for the trip then explain in your sponsors letter that this is what you have done.

My sister can supply a letter stating she has somewhere to stay. What needs to accompany this?

Her letter should describe the property to show that there is room for you. If she owns, then some form of proof of this such as a copy of a mortgage statement or the deeds. If she rents then a letter from her landlord granting permission for you to stay there and confirming that there is room for you.

There is absolutely no need for your sister to include her passport, as suggested above.

Reason to return

You are her reason to return. Provide a copy of your passport with your visa to show your status in Thailand and evidence of your employment will also help.

If not, she'll have to 'find work'.

NO! Do not be tempted to make things up for the application. If the ECO discovers that she has lied in the application then she will be refused for attempting to obtain a visa by deception; she could also be banned from visiting the UK for the next 10 years.

From what you have said, there is no reason why she should not get a visa to visit your family with you. There is no need for you to risk the consequences of attempting to obtain a visa by deception.

BTW, she should apply, as said above, using Form VAF1B, which is a family visit. Requirements are the same as for a general visit, except she is visiting family, but if refused (unlikely) a family visit can be appealed.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1