Bangkok Riders Horrified By Skytrain Doors Opening Before Station

webfact

This is a not a joke folks. You may think it funny to make light of this, but if you were there next to this door, especially in a crowded car as they often are, you might find yourself face first on the tracks.

Why is there no emergency CLOSE button on the BTS doors?

Of course it is not a joke.

But nobody got his face first on the tracks.

Now just check the fatalities on the roads, if you care to compare levels of danger in Thailand.... If.

But everyone knows the dangers of cars. Thousands of people are killed in cars every year around the world. That's a given.

But not on trains. Especially the BTS, there is a duty of the city to ensure the safety of the public in transportation it provides. Doors opening prematurely is an avoidable malfunction that should not happen. There ought to be safeguards, both automatic and human controlled to prevent things like this from occuring.

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably no maintenance in all the years they have been in operation. Some of those older train carriages could use a little TLC.

actually its all german train technology !

its technically impossible to have any kind of accidents or things like doors open outside a station.

the conductor must force it to do so .. (in germany the driver need to have a written "order" to do things like this, have to press alot of buttons and stand the horrible alert buzzer anyway) if he like to keep his job and not want to go to jail).

same as the accident in the MRT some time ago, the thais make it happen even if idiot proof technology make it impossible.

this is why i do not use the Airport link. a 150km/h fast train on a bridge on overhead power support (first of its kind in thailand) ....

just too many things can be <deleted> up by thai engineers and a ccident on a bridge with that speed would be fatal.

From what I know of german technology, I can surmise the error was from the conductor.

But then, if you choose another alternative for transportation in Thailand, do you really think that you are safer?laugh.png

This wouldn't be the same German technology that builds cars with poor mechanical reliability, these days ? (ref: J D Power's consumer surveys).

• Like 1

LOL It's sure german vehicles but thai users !

As japanese cars but thai users, riders on the roads should be more horrified ! More danger on roads than in public transportations !

Open little before the station to habituate the passengers to wet climate once outside the "fridge" train ! laugh.png

Edited by Westaurel

I didn't know when somebody leans on the door it opens automatically i thought that the doors can only be opened by the driver, or pulling the emergency switch, and i never knew there was a train conductor on the train, i thought that there was only a driver. and i never knew that our guys that comment on subjects that they don't rally know anything about were so technically minded.

Was it a Siemens train or one of the new Chinese ones.

I'm guessing its the latter.

Yep that was my very first thought when I saw this headline.

I am sure that piece of information will come out later.

I can hardly wait for the Chinese bullet trains to start blasting

around the countryside !!!!

I'm wondering if the doors opened when the train came to a halt just before the platform at Siam Interchange.. Yesterday evening taking the BTS back home, we stopped a few times between Ploenchit and Siam. To conclude that tests for the new access system at Siam caused this problem would go to far, but then I do not know how these systems are or will be coupled. ermm.gif

Didn't exactly say whether the doors opened WHILST the train was moving or not. From the report it seems the trains stopped and THEN the doors opened. I've seen this happen once before... I take it it happens regularly -- but ONLY when the train has stopped.

I'll take a wild guess -- it might be someone pulling or tripping the emergency stop lever, which I _think_ actually makes the train stop and doors open. Or does it?

There is an emergency communication system in every car. I wonder if anyone tried talking to the driver.

It works. Once I leaned a bit to forcefully at the door entrance and all of a sudden I heard a voice in Thai from the speaker. It seemed I had managed to push the button sufficiently with my shoulder (or bag) to alert someone wub.png . I assume it was the driver

Didn't exactly say whether the doors opened WHILST the train was moving or not. From the report it seems the trains stopped and THEN the doors opened. I've seen this happen once before... I take it it happens regularly -- but ONLY when the train has stopped.

I'll take a wild guess -- it might be someone pulling or tripping the emergency stop lever, which I _think_ actually makes the train stop and doors open. Or does it?

I think on an emergency stop the doors have to be manually opened unsure.png

Well there's only one way to find out lads, see you tomorrow on the way to work for the experiment! laugh.png

• Like 1

Well there's only one way to find out lads, see you tomorrow on the way to work for the experiment! laugh.png

Welcome to the latest episode of the Mythbusters thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

come on people, why all the fuss

THEY ARE JUST TESTING THE SIGNS DONT LEAN AGAINST THE DOOR, SIMPLE smile.png

You have just singlehandedly solved the problem of overcrowded, fully stuffed BTS carriages, methinksthumbsup.gif

With technology, shit happens. I myself am in technology for 10+ yrs, and it's just unavoidable. There are 'bugs' in everything, either known or not known, and they're just waiting there to be triggered by some _rare_ event. First time in 10 yrs I would say.. RARE.

Thai people don't have anything to do with it. It's the nature of things, technology and progress.

We have the exact same skytrain system in Vancouver. Never heard of such an incident here. BTW the Bangkok system is newer and has aircon carriages.

Not really. Vancouver uses linear induction motors as part of each car and is fully automated. BKK is not fully automated and uses motor cars. For proof look for the driver at the front and the lack of the the linear induction bar in the middle of the track.

Also the cars are made by different companies. Siemens makes the BKK cars and Bombardier makes the Vancouver cars. But yea besides that they are "exactly" the same. [/snark off]

• Like 2

As they say in England " Excrement occurs"!

Probably the first time it has happened in 12 years or more of operation.

It is just the first time it has been documented. I've heard of this happening for a few years. Always chalked it up as rumor, but now there is proof....

As they say in England " Excrement occurs"!

Probably the first time it has happened in 12 years or more of operation.

Like this guy said, it is no big deal in retrospect, it is an isolated incident and has happened once in the history of BTS. So many people on here quick tp jump and blame the hell out of Thai people and Thailand until they are blue in the face or bleeding at the fingertips from typing. And as somebody else mentioned, it says do not lean against the doors or something along those lines anyway. People who sit on the computers day in day out complaining about Thailand make me laugh, what the hell are you going to do about it? Vite, no, write a letter of complaint, highly doubtful, so just move... sheesh,

I don't expect the driver was a farang with a dodgy work permit.

Forgot about them extra few carriages at the back I expect.