Lowest Rate I Ever Got For Pound

rocky123

You are having a larf the old crone was the one who sold off British manufacturing to make more profit for her cronies at the expense of the british working man who she despised.

You must be joking.. working man..... overpaid undereducated unionised.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The exchange rate was really bad here back in the 90's. After the Asian financial crisis all western currencies sky-rocketed and the baht crashed. People who have only experienced thailand after that need some perspective. Now the western economies are in the shit*er so thus is their currencies.

The Thai unemployment rate is under 1% so the economy is strong. We may never see that situation again unless like is was in good old days of 1998 to 2004.

I am glad I am earning baht now.

Plus the strong baht keeps the prices of imported stuff (like oil and gas) and my favorite foodstuffs in check.

Funny, seems to me that everything is going UP, food diesle & imported foodstuff Get Real

• Like 1

You are having a larf the old crone was the one who sold off British manufacturing to make more profit for her cronies at the expense of the british working man who she despised.

Thatcher was the Prime Minister and a PM's job is to run the country for the

benefit of all. Firm negotiation would have paid dividends in the long

run but the "Iron Lady' let her detestation of the working class take

precedence over her duties revealing a nasty spiteful side to her

nature. She eventually lost the support of her fellow Tories but by then

it was too late, the rot had set well and truly in. She was too confrontational to unite the British people.

There were days when the words 'Made In Britain' were a hallmark of

quality. This was due to the skills and endeavours of the British

working man.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1

it was too late, the rot had set well and truly in. She was too confrontational to unite the British people.

working man.

A lot of what you say is true.

But the British work force became sloppy, and also thought that striking was ok..........

Brits can make good quality products when they want to... (or have to) .... look at what has happened since Land Rover and Jaguar were taken over by foreign owners.....now the vehicles are very good quality again, very stylish, and very sort after.......especially abroad (from England)

British people can be their own worse enemies.........and I say that as an Englishman

I first came to Pattaya in 1984, nearly 30 years ago and got 32 baht to the GBP.

A Singha beer was 30 baht and a Kloster was 40, no other beer was sold, so a beer cost a pound and upwards, much more than back in the UK.

A decent Thai meal was 30 baht and a falang one from around 50 baht, not cheap back then.

A barfine was 100 - 150 baht. The girls wanted 300 - 500 baht and there was no discussion of ST or LT, they stayed for as long as you wished them to.

My hotel The Royal Garden Resort where the Plaza now stands charged 300 baht joiners fee. This was a common practice as there were very few guest houses or premises that offered budget accommodation.

I did not return for 15 years because it was a very expensive holiday and if and when the pound goes back to 30 odd baht you'll see a mass exodus of British expats who have a modest income and some serious belt tightening by those who are a bit better off.

There will be money to be made in the UK by those who open up benefit funded bed and breakfast accommodation for returning expats. There is no public housing available for elderly Britishers and we could see a return to the workhouse system and many will find themselves in Salvation Army doss houses unless a friend or relative puts them up.

I know when I first went to Thailand it wasn't as cheap as I thought it would be to visit a country where the locals earned next to nothing. I thought food was cheap, drink less so and taxis very cheap compared to London. In the years which followed I visited frequently, staying in a variety of 5* places in Bangkok and comfortable accommodation elsewhere ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand baht a night.

Obviously post 97 was great and even as recently as 2003/4/5 you could get a 5* Marriott in Bangkok for $40. Shortly afterwards top hotels shifted their pricing from THB to USD. I could virtually live in the JW Marriott at $40 a night. To stay this weekend is Bt 7885 a night or around £185 / $275 or about 7 times as much !

Yet I could today get a top class bowl of noodles for Bt30 or Bt40 and a good meal for a few hundred.

With the baht back at levels not seen since pre 1997, it makes you look harder at the inflation situation, which we conveniently ignored when the baht was much weaker. The naughty night-life is hugely expensive compared with even 5 years ago.

I first came to Pattaya in 1984, nearly 30 years ago and got 32 baht to the GBP.

A Singha beer was 30 baht and a Kloster was 40, no other beer was sold, so a beer cost a pound and upwards, much more than back in the UK.

A decent Thai meal was 30 baht and a falang one from around 50 baht, not cheap back then.

A barfine was 100 - 150 baht. The girls wanted 300 - 500 baht and there was no discussion of ST or LT, they stayed for as long as you wished them to.

My hotel The Royal Garden Resort where the Plaza now stands charged 300 baht joiners fee. This was a common practice as there were very few guest houses or premises that offered budget accommodation.

I did not return for 15 years because it was a very expensive holiday and if and when the pound goes back to 30 odd baht you'll see a mass exodus of British expats who have a modest income and some serious belt tightening by those who are a bit better off.

There will be money to be made in the UK by those who open up benefit funded bed and breakfast accommodation for returning expats. There is no public housing available for elderly Britishers and we could see a return to the workhouse system and many will find themselves in Salvation Army doss houses unless a friend or relative puts them up.

I know when I first went to Thailand it wasn't as cheap as I thought it would be to visit a country where the locals earned next to nothing. I thought food was cheap, drink less so and taxis very cheap compared to London. In the years which followed I visited frequently, staying in a variety of 5* places in Bangkok and comfortable accommodation elsewhere ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand baht a night.

Obviously post 97 was great and even as recently as 2003/4/5 you could get a 5* Marriott in Bangkok for $40. Shortly afterwards top hotels shifted their pricing from THB to USD. I could virtually live in the JW Marriott at $40 a night. To stay this weekend is Bt 7885 a night or around £185 / $275 or about 7 times as much !

Yet I could today get a top class bowl of noodles for Bt30 or Bt40 and a good meal for a few hundred.

With the baht back at levels not seen since pre 1997, it makes you look harder at the inflation situation, which we conveniently ignored when the baht was much weaker. The naughty night-life is hugely expensive compared with even 5 years ago.

In the real world very few of us have ever been in a Marriot Hotel let alone lived in one. Instead of trying to impress us with your wealth look at the subject from the point of view of the average retired expat. Or alternatively start a seperate topic on how rich you are.

Edited by yogi100

If you're an Englishman and are familiar with our history you'd know that British industry produced some of the best quality and reliable products the world has ever seen.

We exported our know how, our language, politics, culture and skills

all over the globe and the USA, Canada, the Australian Antipodes'

populations speak English and even the WWW is in English not Urdu,

Russian or Chinese. We've been betrayed by internationalist corporations

and politicians who know nothing of the meaning of national loyalty and

the ability to forge national unity.

Soft leadership has allowed British world influence to vegetate just as the Romans went soft and permitted their influence to wither on the vine. The Yanks are following suit, Australasia and Europe are also following our lead.into the pit of excretement from which there will be no ecsape. Western culture is facing total and complete destruction.

Edited by yogi100

Not really, the JW and a number of other quality hotels in the area, can often be got for between 3K and 5K on Agoda and there are very many nice hotels in the same group for about 2-2.5K.down the road.

I also don't agree entirely with your comment re the nightlife: c.f. 5 years ago I would think the baht prices in the vast majority of places have hardly shifted, though drink prices creep-up. If your paid outside Thailand then the fluctuations do affect when you convert though.

Like a lot of UK expats living in and around SE Asia, I've been watching the recent fall of the GBP with dismay. I'll stick it out for the time being but I might consider moving if the baht goes below 35 baht to the pound sad.png It seems to have picked-up a bit over the last few days (crossed-fingers).

working man.

I'me a Brit and was around when Maggie was in charge ,dont make me laugh "the skills and endevours of the working man" they were always going on strike the car industry was a joke , the miners were greedy and led by a madman (scargill) he destroyed them and now lives on a fat pension ,she came from a working class background as did i ,God i wish we had a Pm as good as her now,then she could stand up to Crow and his cronies who want the public sector ,who already have good jobs ,retire early with gold plated pensiones to go on strike . ungratefull lot.

Edited by thenervoussurgeon

I did not submit my post to make you laugh nor indeed to provide you with any sort of entertainment. Surely it was obvious that I was refering to British achievements thoughout history not the 1970s and 1980s
because by then the rot had firmly set in, Britain was looked upon as
the lame duck of Europe and pathetic posters started appearing all over
the country encouraging us to "Back Britain' or stating that someone had decided that 'I'm Backing Britain'.

I assume you are refering to Bob Crow the London tube drivers union man.
He is employed to get higher wages for his members which are around 40K
per annum give or take a few thousand quid a year at present. Because
of the location of their employment and the staggered shifts they work
it is necessary that they live in London yet it is often overlooked that
that wage will give them an absolute zero chance of obtaining a
mortgage in the Metropolis.

Such have been the swamping levels of immigration since WW2 under all Prime Ministers including Thatcher,that a working man now finds that house prices in the area are now prohibitively expensive unless you earn around 100,000 pounds a year. Mass immigration and weak, politically correct leadership has been the cause of our woes.

A country the size of the UK should have a population of 40 million not
the 70 million it now may have. It took the Tories years to realise the
harm Thatcher, the daughter of a fairly wealthy middle class grocer was
doing by dividing the nation. That division is still with us as her
legacy and has ruined the country although all the politicians and the
adherence to an out dated class system must also take their share of the
blame. But Thatcher destroyed industry in her personal vendetta against the working man

• Like 1

Uk is finished get over it.

Thats what happens when immigration runs wild.

Enock Powell had it weighed up years ago but they didnt listen.

Now your more likely to be asked where you come from at Heathrow by someone in a turban.

RIP England

• Like 2

Now your more likely to be asked where you come from at Heathrow by someone in a turban.

RIP England

Ha ha ha - racist, xenophobic rubbish - and you can't even get Powell's name right ! Pathetic.

RIP England

Ha ha ha - racist, xenophobic rubbish - and you can't even get Powell's name right ! Pathetic.

No he is not a racist or a xenophobe,he is just telling it like it is ,the doors of Britain have been thrown open to allow the flotsam and jetsom of the world to come in and get something for nothing ,and if you cannot see this its because the likes of you let it happen ,and i am certainly not racist ,my father came from Europe to fight for Britain in the war and i am proud to be married to an Asian ,pity Britain was not more like Thailand with its immegration policies.

• Like 2

RIP England

No he is not a racist or a xenophobe,he is just telling it like it is ,the doors of Britain have been thrown open to allow the flotsam and jetsom of the world to come in and get something for nothing ,and if you cannot see this its because the likes of you let it happen ,and i am certainly not racist ,my father came from Europe to fight for Britain in the war and i am proud to be married to an Asian ,pity Britain was not more like Thailand with its immegration policies.

IMO anyone that voices their support for Enoch Powell's views in an internet forum is a racist.

• Like 1

When I came here in Oct 92, I got 37 baht to the pound.

I'm no bread head but don't all currencies have like 10 year cycles?

I suggest accepting that you had it very good in the past and it has come back to normal. It will go up and down again.

Well you got ripped off mate, in Oct 1992 the rate was 45.05baht to the pound, A beach front hut on Lamai was 50baht, a large Singha in the supermarket was 15baht, a bowl of noodles was 5 - 10baht, a year open ticket from the UK was around £300 but could be found cheaper. Those were the days!
http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates-graph-zoom.php?C1=GBP&C2=THB&A=1&DD1=15&MM1=10&YYYY1=1992&DD2=31&MM2=10&YYYY2=1992&LARGE=1&LANG=en&CJ=0

Topic is lowest exchange rate for the pound not Enoch Powell and racism

We are indeed on the topic of lowest UKP exchange rate but many folk partly blame the degree of unfettered immigration for these financial woes. A nation's internal affairs account for the state of its economy and the value of it currency on the world's market. To try and dismiss it with accusations of racism is burying ones head in the sand especially with many members of Thai Visa having Thai girlfriends, wives, often children and extended families. Powell did actually prophesy our present state of affairs in his infamous speech of the 1960s so in such a discussion his name is occasionally bound to crop up.

Posts such as 'I got 41.7' or 'I got 38.9' etc would attract little interest unless they were accompanied by the poster's relevant opinions and experiences.

• Like 2

That's not the reason you made your assertion and neither does it answer the question.

Thats exactly why I posted - I grew up in the UK during the 70's and I know exactly what Enoch Powell stood for.

From my point of view, I feel that the UK has got multi-culturalism just about spot-on, and I have no problem flying into BHX and being processed at immigration by a guy in a turban, or a lady wearing a shalwa kameez.

We are indeed on the topic of lowest UKP exchange rate but many folk partly blame the degree of unfettered immigration for these financial woes. A nation's internal affairs account for the state of its economy and the value of it currency on the world's market. To try and dismiss it with accusations of racism is burying ones head in the sand especially with many members of Thai Visa having Thai girlfriends, wives, often children and extended families. Powell did actually prophesy our present state of affairs in his infamous speech of the 1960s so in such a discussion his name is occasionally bound to crop up.

Posts such as 'I got 41.7' or 'I got 38.9' etc would attract little interest unless they were accompanied by the poster's relevant opinions and experiences.

The UK isn't the only country in the world going through problems at the moment and although times are tough, I don't quite think we're at this stage (yet):

"As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see 'the River Tiber foaming with much blood.'"

As you have alluded to, the reason for the GBP's recent fall are complex, and for my part, I doubt our immigration policies have much to do with it.

It will be interesting to see what happens this week and whether the pound will recover (crossed-fingers).

I suggest accepting that you had it very good in the past and it has come back to normal. It will go up and down again.

Well you got ripped off mate, in Oct 1992 the rate was 45.05baht to the pound, A beach front hut on Lamai was 50baht, a large Singha in the supermarket was 15baht, a bowl of noodles was 5 - 10baht, a year open ticket from the UK was around £300 but could be found cheaper. Those were the days!

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates-graph-zoom.php?C1=GBP&C2=THB&A=1&DD1=15&MM1=10&YYYY1=1992&DD2=31&MM2=10&YYYY2=1992&LARGE=1&LANG=en&CJ=0
Edited by fasteddie

The UK isn't the only country in the world going through problems at the moment and although times are tough, I don't quite think we're at this stage (yet):

"As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see 'the River Tiber foaming with much blood.'"

As you have alluded to, the reason for the GBP's recent fall are complex, and for my part, I doubt our immigration policies have much to do with it.

It will be interesting to see what happens this week and whether the pound will recover (crossed-fingers).

You quoted the one line of his speech that the establishment media jumped upon and called it his 'Rivers of Blood Speech' insinuating that he foresaw violence, death and the spilling of copious amounts of blood. Why not copy and paste the rest of his speech from Google.

Gordon Brown the much admired ex Chancellor of the Exchequer and eventual British PM, when questioned by one of his own party's activists in Rochdale, a Northern English town much blighted by unemployment and the previously ignored pubicity about the grooming of young English girls for sex by immigrants about said unemployment and immigration was later overheard refering to her as a 'bigot'. This was all over the British press at the time just when the UKP had commenced freefalling against all the world's leading currencies. Out of interest did you agree with our illustrious Prime Minister and 'honourable' member of parliament regarding his opinion of that lady Labour Party activist.

None of the leading economies in Asia permit wholesale unselective immigration yet their currencies are puting those that do to shame for the simple reason that they have no hordes of immigrants milking their benefit sytems as if they were pedigree pregnant Jersey cows.

• Like 1

OK I stand corrected, it wasn't 45, but you were still ripped off as it never dropped to 37.

^^^^^^, going back about 20 years ago I can easily remember sub 40 baht.

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates-graph-zoom.php?C1=GBP&C2=THB&A=1&DD1=&MM1=&YYYY1=1990&DD2=22&MM2=03&YYYY2=2013&LARGE=2&LANG=en

From what I remember at the time, 92/93 was the strength of the pommie peso against the $, think it was 2 to 1, then the exchange rate dropped, leading to a period of a couple of years of below 40, from memory,exchange rates varied anywhere from about 36 to 42 to the baht.