Anti-government Rally Thread 13-25 March

Jai Dee

Former envoys drop diplomacy

Allegations of improper conduct give a boost to campaign to oust the premier

The anti-Thaksin movement received a shot in the arm on Wednesday when three former top diplomats took the stage to lend their support and drag some skeletons out of the government's closet.

Kasit Piromya, former ambassador to Washington, Asda Jayanama, former representative to the United Nations, and his brother Surapong, former ambassador to South Africa and Germany, fired up the crowd with their damning statements about how Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had lost all moral authority to lead the country.

Thaksin has become an embarrassment to the country and the longer he stays in office the more damage he will do the Kingdom's international standing, the former envoys said.

Diplomatic language was brushed aside as the three men shouted loud and clear, urging the demonstrators not to let up in their drive to drive Thaksin out of politics.

Asda, who was also posted to Singapore as an ambassador, went so far as to call for a boycott of goods and services from the island-state over the sale of Shin Corp to Singapore's Temasek Holdings.

"This will teach them that they cannot do business with Thaksin," Asda said.

Kasit said figures in the international community could only shake their heads over Thaksin's stubbornness. Diplomatic protocol prohibits them from saying anything.

Screaming at the top of his lungs, Surapong got the crowd going with the rallying cry of "Thaksin get out!" in both Thai and English.

"This is to let foreigners know what we're trying to achieve here!" he said.

For a group of men who spent their entire professional careers as the face of the homeland to the outside world, the finesse of their language was not apparent as tens of thousands of people cheered them on.

Scandalous revelations and allegations were made about how the Thaksin administration tried to bully its way through using diplomacy and international relations.

Kasit said the government tried to force him to sign off on controversial projects that he said were damaging to the Kingdom.

He pointed to the proposed rental rate on the Thailand Plaza lease in New York, as well as a lobbying firm linked to US Vice President Dick Cheney that the government tried to hire to help Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai's bid to become the next UN secretary-general.

He also said the government tried to convince the US Export-Import Bank to approve a loan to the family of former Burmese prime minister Khin Nyunt.

Fortunately for Thailand, Khin Nyunt was purged from power before the controversial deal saw the light of day, Kasit said.

Asda took a jab at his former boss, Surakiart, accusing Thaksin of trying to rope in the permanent five members of the UN Security Council to support Surakiart by selling him as an "obedient" candidate.

Naturally, their whistle blowing rubbed Surakiart the wrong way and provoked a stinging response from the Thai hopeful to succeed Kofi Annan.

Surakiart said it was "unbelievable" how the three men who at one time represented the Kingdom in foreign countries could conjure up such "lies".

Not exactly a stranger to controversy, Asda has almost from the first day of his retirement bucked heads with the Thaksin administration.

There is no love lost between the Jayanama brothers and the administration they consider morally bankrupt.

From day one of the Thai Rak Thai administration, the two men were at loggerheads with government policy. There were attempts to remove Asda from his post at the UN, while Surapong was quickly sidelined from any decision-making assignments.

Political insiders said Surapong had upset the government with his strong warning against the country moving closer to the military regime of Burma, claiming that Thailand's international standing was at stake.

Asda called the government's Burma policy "morally wrong".

- TN

==============================================================

and... then...

Accusations are all lies, Surakiart says

The three former diplomats who took the stage at Wednesday's anti-Thaksin rally to attack the government's foreign policy lied, Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai said yesterday.

"I do not want to comment on their criticism but it was all lies," Surakiart said. but isn't that a "comment"

He said he found it unbelievable that the three former envoys "could use such rude language and behave like that".

Asda Jayanama, the Kingdom's former representative to the United Nations, told the rally that caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's two state visits to India during his first term were fuelled by a desire to seal a satellite deal for Shin Corp, which was then owned by his family.

Former ambassador to South Africa, Surapong Jayanama, told the crowd that the conflict in the South had escalated to the point that it had soured relations with Malaysia.

The conflict also reflected Thaksin's failure to recognise cultural and religious diversity.

Surakiart, who is campaigning to replace outgoing UN chief Kofi Annan, was singled out for special criticism.

"Because we had a weak foreign minister who responds to Thaksin as if he is his servant, we have not been able to solve any problems," Asda said.

Surakiart responded by accusing the three envoys of damaging relations with other countries. "Their statements will affect relationships with other countries. They were ambassadors who were assigned to build up relations, but they have tried to destroy them," he said.

A foreign ministry official agreed with the three former envoys' assessment.

"We cannot say what we think in public, but we were very frustrated with the direction of foreign policy during Surakiart's term," the official said on condition of anonymity.

The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kasit Piromya, former ambassador to Washington, Asda Jayanama, former representative to the United Nations, and his brother Surapong, former ambassador to South Africa and Germany,

Is there anyone in PAD that DOES NOT have a personal axe to grind??? :o

One of the things that you cannot ever do is to underestimate your enemies strengths and weaknesses, the PDA have defiantly underestimated Thaksins strength, especially in the north.

after issuing such asinine remarks as "if you don't vote for TRT, your province won't get any government money," (or words to that effect), or any of the other hundreds of issues raised by people from ALL over Thailand that are seeking his ouster.

That's not asinine. It's the truth before the TRT the other parties treated the poor and the farmers poorly, especially in the north. If they were to get back in power they would probably not treat them any better than they had in the past.

Sun Tsu - An army may march great distances without distress, if it marches through country where the enemy is not.

By protesting in Bkk only, the PDA have basically given the rest of the country and the majority of the population to Thaksin unopposed.

If you read anything about the rallies, you'll have read that protesters in Bangkok have traveled there from ALL over Thailand.

I have read about the rallies and I know that protesters have traveled in to the city. The point I am making is the PDA has not bothered to travel into the country and as such has given the countryside over to TRT. It's the same way they campaign and one of the reasons they got trounced last election and why TRT has so much rural support.

Sorry Luk ... but you keep confusing things. The PDA is NOT the three opposition parties that boycotted the elections. The original base for the PDA was Sondhi's crowd and the Santi-Asoke Dharma Army. Yes the groups have people in common ... but you generally don't see the Democrats up on that stage. .... So I guess the PDA didn't get trounced in any election whatsoever. A for rural support for TRT ... watch and see what happens on April 2nd, particularly in the South. Thaksin's heavy handedness down there should assure the failure to seat a new Parlaiment (and it's peaceful and legal).

Was talking to a Thai friend of mine here in the UK last night. He's from Bangkok and he says that Taksin is sending 5-6 buses into the part of Bangkok where he lives every day. Anyone who climbs on the bus to join the 'Taksin Supporters Club' gets 300bt a day.

I've heard similar claims. Anybody going to support him will have to be "compensated" for the daily work they're missing back in their home towns.

Unlike the people in Sanam Luang who just want him out.

I stood on the jetty at Pin Klao crossing over to Sanam Luang late afternoon on March 3 when Taksin had his rally. People from buses from Ang Thong, Ayuttaya were crowding on the pier to go to the rally. One or two got on to the ferry when their leader shouted out,' wait, not everyone's here yet', they got off immediately. Every bus was plainly controlled by a kamnan or local councillor.

And once Thaksin finished his speech it was straight home on the bus, no need to listen to other speeches, they weren't paid for that.

Please friends, let's not get blind here. Corruption is a way of life in Thailand that no politician can live without if he wants to survive. 2 weeks ago in Saraburi Sondhi offered 500 B against Thaksin's 200 B for attending the festivities. For me that makes a message of Sondhi's desperate situation...

I gather that change for better is always good. But will it be that. The opposition seems to be talkin gfor great noble ideas like freedom of speech, human rights, all basic democracy... Mayby they will be remembered for that. In a good way I hope.

Just what makes people think that they are in anyway better than the previous government?

How will they succeed in their noble tasks for better Thailand = not, ore money for themselves, when they surely have not the same experience as the present government?

Many accusations towards Thaksin are true, and he's done countless mistakes, yes.

I think in this case it's dangerous to shake the cardhouse too much.

What is the plan for the Future?

Please friends, let's not get blind here. Corruption is a way of life in Thailand that no politician can live without if he wants to survive. 2 weeks ago in Saraburi Sondhi offered 500 B against Thaksin's 200 B for attending the festivities. For me that makes a message of Sondhi's desperate situation...

Thaksin and every other corrupt / lying politician around the world is banking on that sentiment which is why I think it cannot be a valid argument. If you accept this as truth, you have conceded defeat to the liars and have given no chance to the people trying to do better.

South Africa was probably even more corrupt than Thailand and also had numerous other problems yet they had Nelson Mandela who wasn't corrupt and who wanted change for the better and did it. The Czeck Republic had Vaclav Havel who also wasn't corrupt and changed his country for the better. What do you think would have happened to these guys if everybody had just said "nah, they are not any better than what we already have".

I don't know Sondhi enough to know his motives, but I like the idea that the government can be kicked out if found too corrupt.

I don't know how it can happen but I do know one thing: Corruption is the #1, the #2 and the #3 reason Thailand isn't a first world country - it's like a cancer, it will keep Thailand down now and in the future.

Thaksin, amazingly, turned out to be just as corrupt as others even though with the amount of money he already had you really would think he had a choice. With the last vote, he even had a colossal majority of the vote - he had all the power he needed to heal this country yet he did the opposite.

This country, and its wonderful people, deserve better. Hope dies last.

2 weeks ago in Saraburi Sondhi offered 500 B against Thaksin's 200 B for attending the festivities.

Thaksin and every other corrupt / lying politician around the world is banking on that sentiment which is why I think it cannot be a valid argument.

If we take the numerous statements posted on this forum that Thaksin is bribing people to attend rallies as the truth, and I do. I've been told by family in the north that it happens with all the parties. Then, why is it so unthinkable that Sondhi is too pure to do the same thing? The truth is all politicians are corrupt in Thailand, or they would not get elected, and the amount of their perceived corruption is in direct proportion to the side of the street you happen to be standing on.

When Thailand has a leader like Nelson Mandela, I'll get on the bandwagon. At at the moment none of the assorted cast of players in this soap opera are close to walking in his shadow, no matter what side they are on.

Suspicious briefcase full of clothes at the demonstration

Military armament experts were brought in to inspect a suspicious briefcase near a protest area of the Democratic Front.

Protesters listening to the Democratic Front speech in the Missakawan Garden (สวนมิสกวัน) area discovered a suspicious briefcase among the crowd. The briefcase was located directly opposite the 5th entrance of Parliament on the Outer Ratchadamnoen Road (ถนนราชดำเนินนอก). Personal security officers of the Democratic Front were notified of the incident. Armament experts of the military were then subsequently notified.

Once the briefcase was safely transported from the area and to the National Police Headquarters, a Mr. Phanuwat Duangmheun (ภานุวัฒน์ ดวงหมื่น) arrived to claim ownership of the case. Upon opening the case police found no dangerous items, just clothes and photographs. Mr. Phanuwat will be detained for further questioning.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 March 2006

Minister Yongyut says protesters are unfair

The Minister of Natural Resources and Environment, Mr. Yongyut Tiyapairat (ยงยุทธ ติยะไพรัช), stated that the current political crisis arose from misunderstanding of the changing nature of the world, and has opened a hotline service at 1310 to address the issue.

Mr. Yongyuth said that those who had views opposed to the government did not understand the changing nature of the world, and that the transfer of capital in this day and age was a normal procedure. Competition was fierce for products and services, and economic warfare was a daily occurrence. The minister cited the example of how so many financial institutions in Thailand were under the control of foreign shareholders, and that calling the Prime Minister unpatriotic due to his sales of Shincorp was unfair.

Mr. Yongyut added that the protester's side of the story was one-sided. He has also set up a 24 hour hotline 1310 to address any questions the public might have on the issue.

"I want Thaksin to resign to prove himself. And then he can come back. I think when he resigns the problem will end. So, he should do that for the country," she said.

Uh see what I mean......

I think that's the best course of action - Taksin steps down, Opposition ends the election boycott, new government works on reforming the Constitution, then Taksin can come back and constest the elections hold by the new rules, about a year or two max from now.

Was talking to a Thai friend of mine here in the UK last night.

I know they've got phones, it's just looks like a very very long route to get the news, and the least reliable, too. Sorry, Endure, nothing personal.

We've got an excellent 24 hour coverage compiled from variety of well-established Thai sources here on Thaivisa, and first hand reports from our own members.

Just today The Nation reports from pro-Takins rally site how much various groups of people have been paid - 200-500 baht range, and free rides as well.

Govt spokesperson disagrees with the PAD's interpretation of Gen Prem's comments.

Government spokesperson Surapong Suebwonglee (สุรพงษ์ สืบวงศ์ลี) expressed disagreement with the protestors’ interpretation of General Prem Tinsulanon’s (เปรม ติณสูลานนท์) advice on how to solve the current crisis.

Mr. Surapong said that it is good that a well-respected individual came out to urge all parties to think about the country’s interests and find the solutions to the current crisis. However, he said that he does not agree with the People’s Alliance for Democracy’s (PAD) interpretation of General Prem’s message in their own favor. He said that General Prem’s intention is to encourage all parties to jointly think and solve the current problems.

As for whether the government will send representatives to discuss with P-Net, the government spokesperson insisted that live broadcast of the meeting will not resolve the problem. He said that if the government is to participate in the meeting, there should be a mechanism that will allow the people to listen to the tripartite discussion.

the government spokesperson insisted that live broadcast of the meeting will not resolve the problem. He said that if the government is to participate in the meeting, there should be a mechanism that will allow the people to listen to the tripartite discussion.

What exactly does he want? No live broadcasting but people should be allowed to listen. Isn't it absurd?

They sound more and more like Saddam's spokesmen just before Bagdad's fall.

the government spokesperson insisted that live broadcast of the meeting will not resolve the problem. He said that if the government is to participate in the meeting, there should be a mechanism that will allow the people to listen to the tripartite discussion.

What exactly does he want? No live broadcasting but people should be allowed to listen. Isn't it absurd?

Taping the discussion perhaps.. :o

Taping the discussion perhaps.. :o

Could be. Up until now they insisted on written statements signed by all parties.

Perhaps this idea - taped meeting - could be the solution. Let's see if forum organisers pick up on that.

Or maybe he meant radiobroadcast, or taped radio broadcast.

Kasit Piromya, former ambassador to Washington, Asda Jayanama, former representative to the United Nations, and his brother Surapong, former ambassador to South Africa and Germany,

Is there anyone in PAD that DOES NOT have a personal axe to grind??? :o

I can see how you question the motives of Asda and Surapong, but I don`t think it`s fair to try discrediting Mr. Kasit. Kasit was appointed Ambassador to Washington by this government and retired last year when he hit the mandatory retirement age. He has nothing to gain personally from criticizing Thaksin. He says he still respects Thaksin as a person, but views his foreign policy as a disaster (you need look no further than Thaksin`s disastorous Burma policy). Some have suggested that Kasit likes to kiss up (when Thaksin is doing well) and kick down (when Thaksin is on his kness), but the record shows that this is not the case. Kasit was always skeptical of Surakiart`s chances for the UN top job, and he wasn`t afraid to say so to his superiors last April, when Thaksin was still looking all-powerful. He`s a man who`s not afraid to speak his mind, giving the government credit when it`s due (such as the idea for setting up overseas OTOP centers) and criticizing him for hair-brained, money-wasting ideas (such as the plan to hire two Dick Cheney-linked lobbyists for a ridiculous amount of money thinking that it could "buy" Surakiart the UN job). Thus, he has earned the universal respect of the diplomatic corps at the Foreign Ministry.

All this is nothing new, these issues were discussed a while back on the threads about Surakiart`s UN bid.

Quick Edit: If these guys really did have a personal axe to grind against Mr Surakiart, they might have tried touching on the rumours about Surakiart`s sexuality. That they did not do so shows, to me, that they have chosen to base their criticisms on substance, not personal agendas.

Edited by tettyan

Defense Minister fears a confrontation between PM's supporters and opponents might take place

Defense Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) has expressed his concern over the current political tension. He is worried that a confrontation between caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s supporters and his opponents might take place. News reporters have informed that the anti-Prime Minister Thaksin group is still staying in front of the Government House to demand the premier to end his political role.

However, Gen. Thammarak has requested for cooperation from press members to release news in a constructive manner so as to boost unity among Thai people.

Quick Edit: If these guys really did have a personal axe to grind against Mr Surakiart, they might have tried touching on the rumours ....

Er... You seem to know a lot about diplomats for an average poster. Please tell us more.

What happend to Asda and his brother? I thought they retirees as well.

=Thai protesters burn images of Singapore PM=

By Pracha Hararaspitak

BANGKOK, March 17 (Reuters) - Protesters burned posters of

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong outside the city

state's Bangkok embassy on Friday as a campaign to oust his

Thai counterpart, Thaksin Shinawatra, took a nationalist twist.

Waving placards saying "Thailand Not for Sale, Get Out",

several hundred protesters urged a boycott of all things

Singaporean in answer to the takeover of telecoms giant Shin

Corp by its state investment arm, Temasek, from Thaksin's

family.

"If Singaporeans faced the same situation as we do now, we

believe Singaporeans would also rise up to do what we are

doing," said Somsak Kosaisuk, a key member of the People's

Alliance for Democracy (PAD), which is trying to kick Thaksin

from office.

They also torched models of Singapore Airlines planes, its

"merlion" national mascot and pictures of Lee's wife, Ho Ching,

the Temasek boss.

The political crisis has already caused the Thai stock

market and baht to wobble and is now raising long-term economic

concerns, with ratings agencies looking at growth forecasts and

companies delaying public flotations or investment projects.

The anti-Singapore sentiment, which stems from outrage at

Thaksin's family paying no tax in January's $1.9 billion Shin

Corp deal, now appears to be hurting business.

According to Chainid Ngow-Sirimanee, head of builder

Property Perfect PCL, Singapore firms have delayed decisions on

potential Thai property investments worth $256 million.

DBS Group Holdings, which had been thought keen on raising

its stake in Thailand's TMB Bank PCL, had yet to make up its

mind on whether to go ahead, a spokesman said. Analysts

attributed the delay to politics.

"I AM DEMOCRACY"

Thaksin, who remains defiant in the face of the

middle-class metropolitan movement to oust him, hit the

provincial campaign trail once again, rallying his core rural

support base for snap elections called on April 2.

The Election Commission says the poll, which Thaksin has

billed as a referendum on his leadership, may have to be

postponed as a boycott by the three main opposition parties is

likely to render it constitutionally unviable.

Thaksin, who is accused of corruption, cronyism and eroding

the checks and balances of the 1997 constitution, does not

agree.

"April 2 is the day for people to choose whether to let mob

rule prevail or give the democratic process a chance to work,"

he told sugarcane farmers in the western province of

Kanchanaburi, home to the famous "Death Railway" bridge over

the River Kwai.

"I represent the democratic process. If you agree with the

opposition boycott, you can abstain," he said, referring to one

of the options on Thai ballot papers.

More than 100,000 people hit the streets this week calling

for his head, sparking fears in the royal palace and army of a

repeat of the bloodshed during a "people power" uprising

against military rule in 1992.

However, both sides appear to be going out of their way to

avoid violence.

Police marshalling the protests have been good-natured and

unarmed and Thaksin switched a meeting from Government House to

avoid confrontation with thousands of protesters camping on its

doorstep.

A 20,000-strong pro-Thaksin "caravan of the poor" which

arrived in northern Bangkok on Friday also vowed to steer clear

of its political adversaries.

"We don't want to clash with them," said Attarit Singhlor,

head of the 3-km (2-mile) convoy of trucks and home-made

tractors which snaked its way slowly down from the impoverished

northeast as the political crisis in the capital deepened.

"We'll make statements and express our requests for the

prime minister to help on land, land deeds and funding for

organic fertiliser projects, then leave Bangkok," he said.

REUTERS

170937 Mrz 06

ENDOFMSG

Here's an interesting (ho ho ho) Bloomberg Columnists take on things

Thai, Philippine Leaders Should Stand Firm: William Pesek Jr.

March 17 (Bloomberg) -- If ever political pundits were wrong about an Asian leader, Thaksin Shinawatra is a perfect example.

A year ago, the Thai prime minister was riding high after a stunning election win. So convincing was Thaksin's victory in February 2005 that he was thought to have free reign over the economy. Other Asian leaders were considering ``Thaksinomics'' as a way of boosting their own support ratings.

Thirteen months later, the billionaire-turned-politician is fighting for his political life. On March 15, Thaksin said he was ``considering all options'' as calls for his resignation mounted.

It's a stunning turn of events for a man once tipped to be the face of Asia's economic rise. Thaksin's stepping aside could do more harm than good to Asia's eighth-biggest economy. The same is true of the Philippines if President Gloria Arroyo yields to protesters demanding her ouster.

It's difficult to defend the policies of Thaksin or Arroyo. Both leaders have had their fair share of blunders and the thousands of protesters taking to the streets have valid reasons for feeling disillusioned. Yet both leaders were, for better or worse, democratically elected and have real mandates.

If either engaged in improper activities -- Thaksin is alleged to have used his office to enrich his family; Arroyo faces claims of vote rigging -- a democratic process exists to hold them accountable.

People Power

``People Power'' isn't the answer in either case. If Thaksin were to resign, he would set a dangerous precedent that would dent investor confidence in Thailand's economy. That's also true of Arroyo, who initially was brought to power in 2001 by a popular uprising that ousted her predecessor, Joseph Estrada. Thaksin and Arroyo should stand their ground for the sake of Asia's economies.

There's a bigger lesson here, and it relates to George W. Bush's foreign-policy view that democracy can cure all. ``Raising up a democracy requires the rule of law, protection of minorities, and strong, accountable institutions that last longer than a single vote,'' he said in this year's State of the Union address.

The U.S. president repeated a similar message in India and Pakistan recently, just as he does everywhere he goes. Events in Thailand and the Philippines show the extent to which democracy can be pushed too far.

The U.S. offers a useful example. There are no moves to overthrow the Bush administration, whose policies have pushed the president's poll ratings to a record low. Congress isn't abuzz with talk of impeachment, and U.S. soldiers aren't plotting to storm the White House with People Power supporters. The reason: Credible institutions, not presidents, hold the U.S. together.

Elected Leaders

This isn't an America-does-it-best column. Efforts in 1999 to impeach Bill Clinton over an affair with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky created political instability in the world's biggest economy. And historians aren't likely to look kindly at the post-Sept. 11 clampdown on U.S. civil liberties. Yet the elected leaders were in power in both cases.

Asia is exciting enough as an investment destination. Its 1997-1998 financial crisis wasn't that long ago, and efforts to boost transparency, improve corporate governance and tighten regulation of markets are works in progress. If investors fear popular uprisings in some of the region's most vibrant economies and advanced democracies, they should look elsewhere.

Stand Firm, Thaksin

None of this is to downplay Thaksin's woes. The 56-year-old has faced escalating calls to quit since his family's sale in January of its stake in the communications company Shin Corp. netted a tax-free $1.9 billion. He has also been attacked over issues including conflicts of interest, media freedom, ministerial ethics, education reforms, free-trade pacts, planned sales of shares in public utilities and Muslim unrest.

Since Thaksin dissolved parliament on Feb. 24 and called snap elections for April 2, Thailand has postponed the signing of a free-trade accord with Japan and put negotiations on a similar agreement with the U.S. on hold. Also at risk is a deadline for companies bidding for a slice of 1.7 trillion baht ($43.8 billion) earmarked for public works, which Thaksin proposed as an economic driver for the next five years.

The Philippines faces similar risks. It's alleged that Arroyo, 58, conspired with election officials to tilt the May 2004 election her way. On top of that were allegations of her husband's and son's involvement in illegal gambling. Arroyo's move last month to declare a state of emergency amid a supposed coup plot angered even some of her biggest supporters.

Thaksin is absolutely right not to, as he put it, ``bow to mob rule.'' Neither should Arroyo. Voters' concerns should be addressed at the ballot box or in the courts, not on the streets. Giving in to protests will only make such risks more common and make capital scarcer in Asia.

To contact the writer of this column:

William Pesek Jr. in Tokyo at [email protected], and

I reckon he should try visiting Thailand for once myself.

The Bloomberg guy is writing for people with no clue about Thailand. Sadly he doesn't know that the courts that would deal with what he says they should are either not working at all or ar of suspect credibility.

But given my druthers ... fair elections would be the answer. Sadly the concept of fair elections is missing here.

I am curious about all the claims Thaksin is paying people to be at his Rallies though ... Since his rallies are a politcal party event if this were in fact true couldn't he be disqualified on vote buying grounds?

(Note Sondhi --if he is doing the same thing-- would be exempt since he and the PAD are not running.

Thai PM defiant as protesters target Singapore embassy

by Boonradom Chitradon

KANCHANABURI, Thailand, March 17, 2006 (AFP) - Thai Prime

Minister Thaksin Shinawatra told cheering supporters here Friday

that he would not surrender to "mob rule" as his opponents staged a

protest outside the Singapore embassy in Bangkok.

About 1,000 demonstrators demanded that Singapore cancel the

controversial sale of Shin Corp, the telecoms empire that Thaksin

founded, to the city-state's investment firm Temasek.

Cheers erupted as they torched effigies of a black Singapore

Airlines jet and a two-metre-tall Merlion -- the mythical symbol of

the city-state -- which were both painted with swastikas.

"Who are you to control our national assets?" and "Where is

Singapore government's morality?" read some of the banners,

referring to anger over the 1.9 billion dollar tax-free sale by

Thaksin's family.

Posters of Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his

wife, Temasek chief Ho Ching, defaced with red forked tongues and

the slogan "Criminal Singapore - get out" were fixed to barricades

outside the mission.

Dozens of police monitored the noisy demonstration outside the

embassy's gates which blocked two lanes of traffic on one of

Bangkok's busiest roads.

Despite being cleared of any wrongdoing, the Shin Corp sale

ignited a simmering anti-government movement and triggered weeks of

mass rallies, mostly at grounds near the royal palace.

Organisers said recently that they would adopt new tactics, with

plans to hold protests at locations including the embassy, the

central business district and the stock exchange.

Business groups were due later Friday to drive in a convoy from

a city park to Government House, to protest against the damage that

the political deadlock was inflicting on the economy and investor

confidence.

But despite the demonstrations and doubts that April 2 snap

elections he called to defuse the crisis could proceed, Thaksin went

on the campaign trail to western Kanchanaburi province where tens of

thousands turned out to see him.

After suggesting this week that he was considering standing

aside temporarily, he insisted he would not budge and that mob

politics was a thing of the past.

"It's not right to ask me to give in to unruly people. I have to

stay in order to preserve the rule (of law)," he said in

Kanchanaburi, which is famous for its "Bridge over the River Kwai".

"April 2 is a very special day when people will make their

decision on whether to allow mob rule to supersede the rule of law,

or whether to comply with democratic rule," he said.

With his office in Bangkok besieged by protesters for most of

this week, the premier basked in the support of a huge crowd of

sugarcane growers who shouted "Thaksin fight, fight!"

Thaksin, who has two landslide election victories to his credit

and enjoys strong support in the countryside, urged voters to turn

out on April 2 and reiterated promises he would quit if he failed to

secure half the vote.

However, with a boycott called by the main opposition parties,

and the disqualification of hundreds of candidates leaving his party

unopposed in many constituencies, electoral authorities are now

considering whether to proceed.

The months of turmoil are taking their toll on Thai people,

according to health authorities who said Friday that up to one third

of the population of 63 million is suffering from "political stress

syndrome."

"We are constantly receiving calls at our hotline number from

people complaining about sleep disorders, headaches and depression,"

mental health department official Wachira Pengchan said.

bur/sls/mtp

AFP 170823 GMT MAR 06

Defense Minister fears a confrontation between PM's supporters and opponents might take place

Defense Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) has expressed his concern over the current political tension. He is worried that a confrontation between caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s supporters and his opponents might take place. News reporters have informed that the anti-Prime Minister Thaksin group is still staying in front of the Government House to demand the premier to end his political role.

However, Gen. Thammarak has requested for cooperation from press members to release news in a constructive manner so as to boost unity among Thai people.

What are the chances of this escalating into something nasty?

Who is playing the Machiavellian Games ?

Edited by Hermano Lobo

I'm tired of all those "officials" and generals full of fake medals who every day "whisper" to the press : "oh la la my Budha, i'm afraid of confrontation".

Especially from the "defense minister" : it's clearly an attempt to scare people.

What a circus !

Thailand is a stage.

A stage of a Comedia Del Arte.

Theatrics at its best, and I see naught coming from this spectacle. :o

Many fear that violence could easily rear its ugly head if Thaksin's caravans met up with the PAD, Black May's spectre emerges. But The PAD have been well organised up to now, maintaining a peaceful approach. No leading to deaths by Jamlong, minimal traffic disturbance. And gaining supporters constantly.

Any violence could only damage Thaksin.

No debate while rally continues

None of the Thai Rak Thai Party's key members will join a televised debate with the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and former opposition parties unless PAD demonstrators besieging Government House go home, government Spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee insisted yesterday.

"Our party will agree to a televised debate among the three parties," he said in response to an offer by the Open Forum for Democracy Foundation (OFDF) to mediate talks to break the political stalemate, planned for March 24, "but under the condition that the PAD calls off the rally one day before," Surapong said.

If the PAD wants the public to know the facts, it should wait and see whom the people believe, and that will be reflected in the April 2 election, he said.

"What I have said is the party's stand, and we don't welcome any further negotiations," he said.

Maj-General Chamlong Srimuang, one of the five PAD leaders, said the group welcomed the OFDF initiative to solve the crisis, but he rejected Surapong's offer to stop the rally as impossible.

"The only condition is that Thaksin step down, nothing else," he said.

The PAD and the former opposition parties, the Democrats, Chat Thai and Mahachon, have asked for a televised debate with caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra defending himself against allegations that led to the public outcry to oust him.

They insisted it would be useless to hold a debate without the man who was the cause of the problem.

However, Surapong yesterday did not promise Thaksin would take the stage in the debate.

"We will send anyone who can clear up the doubts, but not necessarily top party-list House candidates," he said.

Somchai Srisutthiyakorn, of the OFDF, said the televised debate would be held at Thammasat University and he had asked all involved to meet on Monday to set the rules.

The Nation

I don't know how Jai Dee missed this.

Any comments?

I noticed this: "If the PAD wants the public to know the facts, it should wait and see whom the people believe, and that will be reflected in the April 2 election, he said."

Normally people should be told the facts before asking them to decide. This turns everything upside down. People look at the black box and vote that it's a rabbit inside. Doesn't matter what is in the box, the people spoken - it's a rabbit.

And that: "However, Surapong yesterday did not promise Thaksin would take the stage in the debate."

They can't be serious. It appears the only way to have Thaksin at the negotiating table is with a gun to his head. He controls the government and he's got lots of friends in powerful places, but come the cruch time, they'd rather stick with Privy Concilors Prem and Suranond, and the King. If Taksin doesn't listen to them - he's asking for a bullet.

No one defies the King in this country, and in people eyes Prem and Suranond have spoken on HM's behalf. Taksin's weaseling away from the negotiations can be construed as a defiance, and if some hot head decides to take justice in his own hands it will turn really nasty for Taksin.

Have just returned from the Government House area.

Again, VERY LARGE numbers of people in the area. I guess, because it's Friday night and the working week has finished, a lot of ordinary Thais have the opportunity to join the protest.

Was still jam packed at around 11.30 pm.

Saw Sondhi talking amongst others.

Interestingly, have just checked both web sites of The Post and The Nation and there is no mention of tonight's event - i.e. the rally at Government House.

Normally they are carrying up-dates on a regular basis - say every 10 - 15 - 20 - minutes of who is speaking, what has been said and other information relating to the occassion - the lattest news.

I assume they don't want to publicize the event - or it's magnitude and popularity - on their websites for fear of attracting unwanted attention from the pro-Thaksin lot, now located either at Chatuchak or headed for there.