Anti-government Rally Thread 13-25 March

Jai Dee

huh?

In the Census of 2000 the South had a population of 8,057,518 or 13.3 per cent.

That is a minority as the whole of Thailand has a population of over 65 million people.

More clear now?

Just for the sake of accuracy, the National Statistical Office, which conducts the census, reports the population for the South at 8,087,500

http://web.nso.go.th/pop2000/indiregion/indi_south.htm

out of Thailand's total population of 60,617,200

http://web.nso.go.th/pop2000/report/adv_e.htm

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Democratic Front prepare for show of people power on Saturday and Sunday

Leading elements of the Democratic Front have concluded that they will arrange a vast display of people power to call for a Royally appointed Prime Minister on Saturday and Sunday, before going to file charges agains the Prime Minister and his entire cabinet at the Royal Thai police headquarters.

Lieutenant General Chamlong Srimuang, one of the 5 leaders of the Democratic Front, stated that the Democratic Front was a peaceful and morally correct protest group and had no plans to protest on Royal grounds, or any Royal property. He asks the public not to fall for rumors that the group would take such a course of action. Mr. Pipop Thongchai (พิภพ ธงไชย), another leader of the Democratic Front, commented that when he heard the Prime Minister's response to the Administrative Courts order, that he would do everything in his power to drive Mr. Thaksin from office.

Mr. Somkiart Pongphaiboon (สมเกียรติ พงษ์ไพบูลย์), another Democratic Front activist, stated that charges are being drafted and will be filed for the arrest of the Prime Minister and his entire cabinet at the Royal Thai police headquarters. Mr. Sondhi Limthongkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล), added that the Democratic Front would conduct a mass show of people power on Saturday at 14:00 and on Sunday at 10:00 to call for the appointment of a Royally selected Prime Minister.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 March 2006

If you make it your signature, it bears relevance.

So signitures are fair game then... OK

Bingo!

===========

the most prized quote from recent days on TV is ... "The USA isn't a Democracy it is a Republic"

<<someone needed a civics lesson!>>

So here is your civics lesson as it's fair game as you are using a pointed signature....

================

A Republic, Not a Democracy -

David N. Mayer - CAPITAL UNIVERSITY - Professor of Law

218 years ago, on May 25, 1787, the framers of the Constitution of the United States began meeting at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia. The debates were secret – a deliberate decision of the delegates, designed to keep them free from outside pressures. When the long, hot Philadelphia summer came to an end in mid-September, as the delegates were wrapping up their work and about to reveal to the public their proposed Constitution, it was said that someone asked the oldest delegate, Benjamin Franklin, what kind of government the nation would have. Franklin’s response has become famous, an important part of U.S. historical lore: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Franklin’s comment came to my mind last month, when I read about President Bush’s trip to eastern Europe. Bush spoke glowingly of the progress of “democracy” in many of the nations formerly under Soviet Russian tyranny. Yet, like other American presidents in the modern era – and indeed, like most commentators on political or cultural matters – he erroneously described the American system of government as a “democracy,” or the United States as a nation based on “democratic” principles. It’s a common error, but one that shows how far out of touch most modern Americans are with the principles of their nation’s founding.

The United States of America is not a democracy. Let me emphasize that – THE UNITED STATES IS NOT A DEMOCRACY – and add, “Thank God!” America’s Founders understood well the evils of democracy and deliberated created a system of government that was not democratic but rather republican. The form of government in the United States (both the national government and the government of each of the 50 states) is not a democracy but a republic. Indeed, it is most accurately described as a “limited-government constitutional republic.”

The difference is not merely semantic. The word “republic” comes from the Latin phrase res publica, which means, literally, “the public thing(s).” It generally refers to a representative form of government, one in which the people’s representatives (chosen either directly or indirectly by them) govern but not the people themselves. (Such was the form of government, in theory at least, of the ancient Roman republic.) “Democracy,” on the other hand, is derived from the Greek words demos and kratein, which when combined mean, loosely, “the people rule.” Democracy thus is synonymous with direct rule by the people, or more accurately, by a majority of the people.

Full Text

Police Colonel has deployed 4,700 policement to maintain security during PAD's grand rally today

The Metropolitan Police Spokesperson, Police Colonel Phinij Maneerat (พินิจ มณีรัตน์), has mobilized 4,700 policemen to maintain security and facilitate people and commuters during today’s grand rally of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD). He has also warned commuters to avoid using roads around Sanam Luang (สนามหลวง).

Police Colonel Phinij believes no violence will occur during this evening's demonstration. He said that if the demonstrators attempt to move to another place, the police would take care of the traffic and the commuting of people in that respective area.

Referring to many units’ fear of an interference of a third party, he said that the police officers have always been monitoring for information related to the anticipating violence during the demonstration, and there has been no sign of possible chaos until now.

For plans to prevent heavy traffic congestion, the Metropolitan Police Spokesperson has assigned the officers to facilitate commuters. He has also requested commuters to use public buses instead during this period.

Mr. Sanoh says Thaksin should resign

The leader of the Wang Nam Yen (วังน้ำเย็น) party traveled to express his support to protesters of the Democratic Front, and also calls for the Prime Minister to resign.

Mr. Sanoh Thienthong (เสนาะ เทียนทอง), former Thai rak Thai representative, and leader of the Wang Nam Yen (วังน้ำเย็น) party, traveled to express his support to protesters of the Democratic Front camping out in front of the Royal Thai Government House.

Mr. Sanoh declared that Prime Minister Thaksin should resign from his post due to his inadequate moral character and inability to lead the nation, especially in his decision to make the Energy Generating Authority of Thailand a public company.

In related news, the Democratic Front has set up an analytical forum, with many analysts agreeing that Thaksin, and possibly the entire cabinet should resign. Protesters also agree that if the cabinet resigned, Mr. Chaturon Chaisang (จาตุรนต์ ฉายแสง), the Minister of Education, should be the first.

An entire agency/department exists that isn't mentioned anywhere on the web?

Gosh, that is secret.

I'm certainly not disputing he has personal bodyguards, just contending there isn't a Secret Service in Thailand.

I have difficulties to believe what you are trying to tell me here. :o

You mean, just because there is no official Thai secret service website explaining to all and sundry their structures and operational procedures that Thailand is the only country on earth that has no secret service and other intelligence agencies?!

Are you kidding me?!

Thailand no intelligence agencies, and the Thai Prime Minister not protected by secret service agents - that is the most asinine statement i have heard in a long time!

You really should leave the net get out into the real world for a while.

The figures for 2002 are 8,415,908 out of 62,799,872 or 13.4% of the total.

And what's the bloody difference? Are you now just arguing for the sake of the argument?

First you tell me the 8 something million people i listed were just from the "deep south", and that i should count the ones from "Chumpon down", now you find out that the census 2 years later than i listed has 200 000 more people than the number i have listed. Do you think you have made a point now - it still is 13.4 percent of the Thai population and therefore a minority according to all definitions of the term.

I wish we were getting more REAL updates on ACTUAL happenings today since it's such an important one - instead of having to scroll through all these ramblings every day to find the meaty bits!!!!!!

No offence to JaiDee as he does a great job.

A news hungry soul in the south.........

I wish we were getting more REAL updates on ACTUAL happenings today since it's such an important one - instead of having to scroll through all these ramblings every day to find the meaty bits!!!!!!

No offence to JaiDee as he does a great job.

A news hungry soul in the south.........

Then switch on your TV and watch the Thai news, sign up for the Nation Channel, or go to the Nation website where they have regular updates with breaking news, or go on the internet to the life coverage of ASTV news.

JaiDee is doing nothing else than cutting and pasting freely available news for you people too lazy to do it yourselfes.

Here we are actually given the opportunity to discuss news events, and that might result in spirtited debates.

You could have talked to me in a bit nicer way ColPyat. I am watching the news on television and ASTV live on screen and I read every available news source I can find. I didn't mean to offend you - what I should have said is.... would it be possible for JaiDee to seperate the news updates from your debating forum? It would make it easier.

God it's hard to explain in writing..... don't get angry at me because I am only a person like you :o

Seonai

I'm no fan of Thaksin, but I have to say that both he and his opponents are doing a good job of preventing direct confrontation and violence. I think both sides are aware that if this bruhaha turns violent, everyone looses.

Thaksin was blinded by greed when he put together the Shin-Temmasak deal. He was so intent on the money that he just couldn't see the reaction people would have to his legal tax evasion. There's a lot of talk on this board about people being pro-TRT or anti-TRT. I think that a lot of people are pro-TRT, but are fed up with Thaksin. When they vote on Apil 2, most of them will be voting for their local PM's and the policies those PM's have been espousing. If there were a direct vote for Thaksin, well, then the outcome might be in doubt.

For the good of the country, Thaksin should step down and let things settle down. Unfortunately, two things stand in the way of that course of action: One, his monumental ego. Two, the fact that he can influence the laws to support his business interests and suppress investigations into his family's corrupt business practices while he is in still in power. If he stepped down, I suspect that his whole house of cards would collapse pretty quickly.

what's that about Lukmar?

I was agreeing with your statement, "God it's hard to explain in writing..... ". Case in Point, I probably should have said, "Yup, it sure is hard to explain in writing.......". Right now everyone is on edge and ofter ducking daggers and a simple word slip often brings a heated response.

An entire agency/department exists that isn't mentioned anywhere on the web?

Gosh, that is secret.

I'm certainly not disputing he has personal bodyguards, just contending there isn't a Secret Service in Thailand.

I have difficulties to believe what you are trying to tell me here. :o

You mean, just because there is no official Thai secret service website explaining to all and sundry their structures and operational procedures that Thailand is the only country on earth that has no secret service and other intelligence agencies?!

Are you kidding me?!

Thailand no intelligence agencies, and the Thai Prime Minister not protected by secret service agents - that is the most asinine statement i have heard in a long time!

You really should leave the net get out into the real world for a while.

Easy there, big guy... :D no need to insult anyone... I never requested the official website for the Thai Secret Service, nor anything detailing all of it's operations... I just requested to see some mention somewhere that it, in fact, exists... a newspaper article... a simple ministerial departmental listing...anything that just refers to it... something...anything... anywhere...

I also made no mention of "intelligence agencies"... that's an entirely different matter.

The figures for 2002 are 8,415,908 out of 62,799,872 or 13.4% of the total.

And what's the bloody difference? Are you now just arguing for the sake of the argument?

First you tell me the 8 something million people i listed were just from the "deep south", and that i should count the ones from "Chumpon down", now you find out that the census 2 years later than i listed has 200 000 more people than the number i have listed. Do you think you have made a point now - it still is 13.4 percent of the Thai population and therefore a minority according to all definitions of the term.

sheesh....having a bad day?.... :D .. no one is arguing anything.... refer to my post:

Just for the sake of accuracy, the ...

don't read so much into everything... it's a whole lot less stressful. :D

Edited by sriracha john

Easy there, big guy... :o no need to insult anyone... I never requested the official website for the Thai Secret Service, nor anything detailing all of it's operations... I just requested to see some mention somewhere that it, in fact, exists... a newspaper article... a simple ministerial departmental listing...anything that just refers to it... something...anything... anywhere...

I also made no mention of "intelligence agencies"... that's an entirely different matter.

Definition for 'secret service':

secret service

n.

1. Intelligence-gathering activities conducted secretly by a government agency.

2. A government agency engaged in intelligence-gathering activities.

And you want to still argue that Thailand does not have such a thing, considering everything that is going on here?

What do you think those polite blokes in black jackets, things in their ear and speakers in their collar are that surround Thaksin wherever he goes? Or the blokes in civil that check any stranger coming close to Thaksin and who order normal cops around?

These people for sure are not the sort of hired thugs in shades that surround Sondhi.

If you make it your signature, it bears relevance.

So signitures are fair game then... OK

Bingo!

===========

the most prized quote from recent days on TV is ... "The USA isn't a Democracy it is a Republic"

<<someone needed a civics lesson!>>

So here is your civics lesson as it's fair game as you are using a pointed signature....

================

A Republic, Not a Democracy -

David N. Mayer - CAPITAL UNIVERSITY - Professor of Law

Full Text

###### .... working for weeks to make up for that piece of silliness you posted huh Luk?

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/govt2000.htm

as valid as any Blog ....

or read the Wikpedia section on Democracy ....

Modern Democratic Gov'ts are all representative Luk ...

Dharma Army Foundation will march to Sukhumvit, passing through Ratchaprasong and Siam Paragon, tomorrow

The head of the Dharma Army Foundation, Maj. Gen. Chamlong Srimuang (จำลอง ศรีเมือง), is calling for the public to amass and declare the intention of requesting a royally-appointed prime minister, and to request that the prime minister quickly resign.

Maj. Gen. Chamlong, who is among the core figures leading the People's Alliance for Democracy anti-Thaksin movement, said people will today gather to declare their intention of requesting a royally-endorsed prime minister. He also affirmed he will move to Sukhumvit (สุขุมวิท) Road tomorrow, through Siam Paragon and Ratchaprasong (ราชประสงค์) Junction, to push for the resignation of the prime minister. He said the demonstration will be carried out in a peaceful manner as before. However he also disclosed the possibility of the group moving to Mr. Thaksin's Chansongla (จันส่องหล้า) residence. This will be considered among the core leaders of the PAD. Maj. Gen. Chamlong still insisted he was ready to negotiate with the prime minister, but said this must be open to simultaneous public acknowledgement.

Maj. Gen. Chamlong said he will not oppose the election, as the PAD was not opposing the election and most demonstrators will also be going to the polling booths.

Pol. Gen. Chitchai believes that the demonstration this evening will not be prolonged

The Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister, Pol. Gen. Chitchai Wannasathit (ชิดชัย วรรณสถิตย์), believes that the demonstration of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) will not be prolonged.

Speaking after inspecting the performance of police officers at the rally site, Pol. Gen. Chitchai said that the situation still goes peacefully although rumours were spread that a third party would interfere and cause violence during the demonstration. He said that the situation has been under control so far.

He said that Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has not ordered a special security measure while protesters plans to march to his residence on Charan Sanitvongse Road. He believes that if a chaos sparks during the PAD's march, the general public, especially commuters, will not tolerate the action because it will cause severe traffic congestion.

The deputy Prime Minister said he would not mind the PAD filing a lawsuit to prosecute Mr. Thaksin for his wrong decision to privatize the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailandintention as long as the action is within the framework of the law.

Areas around main protesting stage already jam-packed

Announcers on the Makkawan main stage outside Government House told protesters who just arrived not to try to push in as the areas are already jam-packed at 6:15 pm.

The announcers asked protesters who just arrived to wait at the Misakawan stage or behind the Makkawan stage because the main ground in front of the Makkawan stage had already been fully occupied.

The announcers said screens would be put up to show video from the main screen to protesters to monitor the protest so that they would not have to try to push in for a glimpse of the main stage.

Source: The Nation - Breaking News

all my staff is there, including my wife.....

Actually everyone I know in Thailand is there.....

They wanted to take me also, but I told thats not my case (I must safe myself for the next revolution in Austria :o )

Hope nothing bad happens.....

Areas around main protesting stage already jam-packed

Announcers on the Makkawan main stage outside Government House told protesters who just arrived not to try to push in as the areas are already jam-packed at 6:15 pm.

The announcers asked protesters who just arrived to wait at the Misakawan stage or behind the Makkawan stage because the main ground in front of the Makkawan stage had already been fully occupied.

The announcers said screens would be put up to show video from the main screen to protesters to monitor the protest so that they would not have to try to push in for a glimpse of the main stage.

Number of anti-Thakin protesters keeps rising

Announcer Suwit Watnoo asked people who have just arrived to join the rally outside Government House to stop at the first projector screen they saw because the areas in front of the main stage have already been jam-packed.

Suwit announced at 8:30 pm that the road behind the main stage at the Makkawan Intersection has been fully occupied up to the Rama IIIV Intersection.

He said police also allowed the rally area at the Misakawan Intersection to be expanded to cover all the area.

Chidchai booed by protesters at Government House

Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya was booed by protesters while he was visiting police officers manning the Government House compound.

Chidchai came to Government House to talk to police officers there at 6:30 pm.

Reporters heard Chidchai told police that the on-going protests were affecting the society because protesters did not respect the rules and tried to break the rules to protests at houses of the prime minister and other Cabinet members.

While Chidchai was paying respect to a shrine near the third gate on Phitsanulok for about three minutes, TV cameramen filmed Chidchai's movement, and thus drawing attention of some protesters.

Some ten protesters rushed to the fence and started hurling abuses at Chidchai.

Chidchai apparently turned pale and walked away but many more protesters saw him and started booing him and hurling abuses at him.

Chidchai said protesters were unreasonable to use rude words against him and for calling him a dog. He said he was not angry at them because he was not a dog.

PAD has spent over Bt10 million to organise rallies

Announcer Suwit Watnoo told the crowd at the rally site at Government House that the People's Alliance for Democracy has so far spent over Bt10 million for various expenses to organise anti-Thaksin rallies.

But, he said, public donations, which continued to pour in, were still higher than the spending expense so the PAD still had some Bt5 million left.

Prasong says Thaksin breaks all vows to King

Prasong Soonsiri, a columnist, alleged that caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had breached all vowed of loyalty he had given to His Majesty the King when he took office.

Prasong was speaking to Senator Chirmsak Pinthong in a special talk show on the Makkawan stage at the anti-Thaksin rally site.

Prasong noted that Thaksin had made the vow at least seven times when he took various positions in the government but had never kept any point in the vows.

At least 150,000 attend rally to call for royally-appointed PM

Nation reporters at the rally site estimated that about 150,000 protesters attended the rally at Government House.

The estimation was made at 20:50 pm.

The rally was held by the People's Alliance for Democracy to demonstrate the people's support for the calls for a royal intervention by His Majesty the King and for HM to appoint an interim prime minister.

The protesters occupied all areas in front of Government House on Phitsanulok Road and up to Rajdamnoen Klang Avenue and up to the Rajdamnoen Boxing Stadium.

The main stage was set up at the Makkawan Intersection and organisers put up projector screens and amplifiers to broadcast the activities on the main stage.

Protesters sing royal anthem

Protesters sing the royal anthem in honour of His Majesty the King at 9:49 pm to begin a ceremony in front of HM portrait to seek a royal intervention in the political crisis.

Sondhi Limthongkul, a decision maker of the People's Alliance for Democracy, read from a statement to seek help from His Majesty to appoint an interim prime minister government to solve the national crisis.

Protesters light up candles to honour HM

After chanting a petition for His Majesty the King to grant an interim government, protesters at Government House lit candles and sang the Praise to Great King song at 10 pm.