Anyone Bother With The Vat Refund ?

MrWorldwide

As a weekend warrior who tends to spend most of his money in bars, I've never bothered trying to get my VAT refunded at Swampy, but I'm curious. It has to be something totalling more than 5k baht from a 'participating' shop, and I'm guessing that I could easily get gouged - havent seen too many things in duty-free stores at Oz airports (beyond alcohol) that seem appreciably cheaper than standard Oz prices - in some cases, more expensive on things like cameras.

Happy to hear otherwise from those who have claimed the refund - it may well be that I've been wandering around Pantip with my eyes closed and just havent noticed the 'VAT Refund for Tourists' signs. I've seen a few in Emporium, hence the part about 'getting gouged' - the high-end handicraft shops may as well have a sign saying 'Come in, suckers !' at the front door. Still, 7 per cent is 7 per cent - figured I may as well look into this. Thanks in advance.

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/VATRefundsforTouristsinThailand.shtml

Who can claim VAT refunds?
- A non Thai visitor who has been in Thailand less than 180 days in a calendar year.
- A non Thai visitor who is not a crew member of an airline.
- A non Thai visitor who departs Thailand by air from an International airport.

How do you claim a VAT refund?
- A VAT refund will only apply if the goods purchased are taken out of Thailand within 60 days of purchase.
-The goods must be purchased from participating shops that display a "VAT Refund For Tourists" sign.
- On any one day, the goods purchased from an individual participating shop must not be less than 2,000 Baht including VAT, and the total amount claiming for refund must not be less than 5,000 Baht, including VAT.
- When you purchase the goods, ask the sales assistant to complete a VAT refund form, known as the P.P.10, and attach the original tax invoices to that form. Each P.P.10 must show a value of 2,000 Baht or more.
- You will need to know the method or refund you would prefer, and input that onto the P.P.10 form.
- You will need to show your passport to the sales assistant when you purchase the goods, to allow her to fill in the above mentioned form.
- When you are requesting the refund, the goods must be inspected by customs officers prior to check in. Show these customs officers the P.P.10 and tax invoices.

How will the refund be paid?
- If the refund does not exceed 10,000 Baht then you can have the refund made by cash (Thai Baht), draft, or a credit to your credit card.
- If the refund total does exceed 10,000 Baht then, refunds will be made by either draft or a credit to your credit card.

Are there any fees?
- If you request a cash refund a fee of 100 Baht will apply.
- For a draft refund a 100 Baht fee plus, the draft issuing fee at the rate charged by banks and postage fees.
- For credit card refunds, a 100 Baht fee plus money transfer fee at the rates charged by banks.

I cannot get, but whenever I am at Swampy on my travels the VAT Refund place after Immigration is packed with people waiting to get their money.

Remember to get it you must first show the items and receipts as well as the PP10 before check in, then after check in go through Immigration and on the other side is the place to actually get the refund.

By the way my wife gets refunds in Europe when we are there.