3G Mobile Phone Service To Be Launched In Thailand In April

webfact

I wish I were back in the US or UK, where I could reliably get a fast signal, nation-wide, cheaply and with fantastic customer service to boot.

I blame Thailand's 3rd world telecommunications on Thaksin!

You don't have to go that far.....just pop into Laos - Nationwide 3G and really GOOD CS!

Not just Laos, Cambodia is doing better than Thailand.

What with the Thai obsession with losing face how they can allow true third world countries to offer better TelCom services is simply beyond me. This has been going on for YEARS and how much further forward are we?

Up pops the latest updates on how 3G is almost here. Then there are the advertising board proclaiming 3.5G I think I even saw one offering 3.9G and we all get excited thinking 'maybe this year it will really happen' but no just more old news falling on deaf and bored ears.....

thing I liked about Laos is that not only do they have 3G (4G in Vientiane) but they actually have a grasp of customer service. Now matter how hi-tech the mobile phone service gets in Thailand they will ALWAYS fall short on CS.

So far this year though I've negotiated several refunds off both AIS and TOT but OMG it takes AGES!

Here's the deal for people posting above who are already seeing 3G symbols on their mobile devices:

DTAC also I believe has been offering some 3G in BKK, not sure about elsewhere, on the 850 Mhz band.

So why do I not see 3G on my phone:

Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus GT-S7500

DTAC 3g/Wifi internet sim card

Bangkok

Perhaps it's the internet package?

Yeah, I use EDGE package 99B/20HRS/1M

So how does the volume-based 3G package work? Let's say you use 75MB, does that mean that you

download data (load videos, internet pages etc) up to 75MB of data on 3G network/speed and once reached,

no 3G speed but back to EDGE?

Yes, that's about it............you get about 1.5 GB for 350/400 baht (AIS)

And, several other things have to be properly aligned...

For instance, a locally purchased smartphone that has only 900 and 2100 Mhz radios inside -- which would include some sold by AIS -- isn't going to provide 3G service at all on True Move H or DTAC's 3G networks, since they currently run on 850 Mhz.

And likewise, a locally purchased smartphone meant for True Move H's 850 Mhz network won't provide 3G on AIS's current 900 Mhz network. Although, those issues will begin to subside once all the major carriers begin operating their new 3G service on the common 2100 Mhz band.

Each smartphone is different. Some less expensive models tend to have only two 3G bands... like 850/2100 or 900/2100. But others, often more expensive ones, will have three or four 3G bands and even LTE bands, like 850/900/1900/2100.

Then of course, assuming your phone has the 3B bands you need to get service on a particular carrier's 3G network, you'll also need to specifically subscribe to a 3G package with them. An Edge data package isn't likely to give you 3G for free, even in Thailand. tongue.png

As for your particular phone, it looks like the Galaxy Ace Plus is a dual band only phone for 3G. I'm seeing a specs sheet that says it's 900 and 2100 Mhz 3G, meaning that version would work with AIS 3G right now, but not True or DTAC. I don't know about your specific phone or whether an 850 Mhz version was sold in Thailand.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/android/GT-S7500ABABTU

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So why do I not see 3G on my phone:

Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus GT-S7500

DTAC 3g/Wifi internet sim card

Bangkok

Perhaps it's the internet package?

Yeah, I use EDGE package 99B/20HRS/1M

So how does the volume-based 3G package work? Let's say you use 75MB, does that mean that you

download data (load videos, internet pages etc) up to 75MB of data on 3G network/speed and once reached,

no 3G speed but back to EDGE?

Unfortunately your phone only supports 900/2100 MHz 3G, and DTAC/Happy currently operates 3G on 850 MHz so you would not be able to get 3G from DTAC/Happy until they rollout 3G on 2100 MHz later in the year. AIS/One-2-Call currently offer 3G on 900 MHz so that may be an option for you in the near-term.

Most time-based mobile data packages are limited to 384 Kbps where 3G is available, and to slower GSM data (2G:GPRS/EDGE avg max speed 200 Kbps) rates where 3G is unavailable.

Lower tier volume-based mobile data plans are typically unrestricted in speed up to your cap, after which you will pay pay the minute or kB, review the terms and conditions of your specific plan for exact details.

Higher tier plans offer unlimited internet usage albeit with a speed limit ranging from 64 to 384 Kbps once you reach your cap.

I'm still not clear how the various service providers are going to package/price/promote 2100 MHz services - perhaps as new, premium, post-paid brands, or maybe just as transparent supplemental services/coverage to existing brands? The requirement for a 15% price reduction may be hard to implement if supplemental? Obviously TrueMove has to try and move all of their 18 million customers from 1800 MHz to 2100 Mhz by Sep. 15, 2013 which will be a challenge.

In the beginning when I subscribe true h

There was no limitation on the speed , was real unlimited!

Now only 3 gb for 599 bath then go down to 384 kb but still enough to watch some news in the iPhone app transfer still unlimited price for new customers 899 bath

This is what's on the phone box:

HSDPA: HSDPA 7.2 Mbps/Dual band (900/2100 Mhz)

Quad-band: Quad-band (850/900/1800//1900 Mhz)

Does that change anything?

HSDPA is one of the industry's tech terms that's a version of 3G.

So yes, as stated above, you have a phone that at present would only receive 3G on AIS's service in Thailand via their 900 Mhz band.

But once all the carriers begin operations on the new 2100 Mhz band for 3G service, you'll be able to pick whomever you like -- assuming they have a 3G transmitter located near where you stay and thus can provide the actual service.

One of the problems now -- and probably for the future too -- is that the 3G services won't cover the ENTIRE country. I believe, under their government concessions, they're only obligated to provide 3G service to at least 80% of the nation's population.

Under the concessions, the carriers are legally obligated to be able to serve 50% of the nation's population within 2 years, and 80% within four years of their awards on the new 2100 Mhz band. The carriers have variously promised to provide service at a faster pace than their legal obligation... though whether they'll accomplish the 80% ahead of schedule remains to be seen. The mobile carriers haven't got the greatest track record in accuracy for their past promises here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So yes, as stated above, you have a phone that at present would only receive 3G on AIS's service in Thailand via their 900 Mhz band.

But once all the carriers begin operations on the new 2100 Mhz band for 3G service, you'll be able to pick whomever you like -- assuming they have a 3G transmitter located near where you stay and thus can provide the actual service.

One of the problems now -- and probably for the future too -- is that the 3G services won't cover the ENTIRE country. I believe, under their government concessions, they're only obligated to provide 3G service to at least 80% of the nation's population.

Under the concessions, the carriers are legally obligated to be able to serve 50% of the nation's population within 2 years, and 80% within four years of their awards on the new 2100 Mhz band. The carriers have variously promised to provide service at a faster pace than their legal obligation... though whether they'll accomplish the 80% ahead of schedule remains to be seen. The mobile carriers haven't got the greatest track record in accuracy for their past promises here.

Thanks!

Next question would be, if possible to answer at this stage, which of the providers provides the best value for money in terms of speed, coverage and the packages that they offer?

Keep hearing True is the best.

Thanks!

Next question would be, if possible to answer at this stage, which of the providers provides the best value for money in terms of speed, coverage and the packages that they offer?

On past performance True are the nearest thing to a complete waste of time you can get.......they have poor coverage and deplorable cutover service....allegedly

Re the question about the best carrier for 3G service, I really think it's a situation of try and see... and/or YMMV.

As member Loma pointed out above, the major carriers have yet to announce the terms or pricing of their 2100 Mhz 3G plans/services, and details such as prepaid or postpaid options. So in terms of the future services, it's going to be a case of wait and see.

Then, there's the locational element. Despite some here talking about the notion of nationwide service, how a carrier works for you is going to depend largely on how close you are to their nearest cell site and how busy/much demand there is on that site. And those are things any user can really only find out thru trial and testing. And of course, some people wll continue live in (presumably more remote) areas that WON"T be served at all by 3G service.

FWIW, I've been using AIS for a couple years in BKK just for regular non 3G phone service on a postpaid plan, and their English language customer service has been first rate... Also, their website makes it easy, even in English, to manage your account and make changes to your service package. Their phone reception/service likewise has been fine. So I'd have to give them good marks in my experience.

True Move H, meanwhile, was able to gain a big headstart over AIS in rolling out its original 3G service and deploying 3G coverage around the country. I've never had any problems as a user of their 3G service or regular mobile reception. But their personal customer service and their website seems to me to fall well short of AIS.

Right now, I use True Move H for 3G mainly because my main mobile phone has the 850 Mhz frequency but not the 900 Mhz frequency I'd need to use AIS's 3G service. Once they both begin to offer 3G on the 2100 Mhz band, which all my mobile phones have, I suspect I'll end up consolidating my service down to one carrier. But I guess I need to wait and see what True and AIS will have to offer.

Lots of people do use DTAC. But for me, they've had so many operational problems in recent years, and my own personal experiences with them haven't been the greatest, that I consider them to be a second-tier player. Others, I'm sure, will have a better opinion of them, and that's their right. But right now, they've fallen far short of earning my trust as the company I want to rely on for mobile phone/3G data service.

arminbkk, on 14 Mar 2013 - 18:41, said:

Yes. wink.png

All of the service providers offer similar packages, so any value proposition is tenuous at best. It really comes down to your device, its capabilities, your location(s), your budget, your requirements and your applications.

Availability, coverage, roaming agreements, reliability, customers service, web-based account management can be differentiating factors. You really need to do some homework to figure out which service provider might be address your requirements, and we are entering a potentially dynamic period so I wouldn't necessarily lock yourself into an extended post-paid contract right now.

I'm not certain TrueMove H is a viable 3G provider for you today given your handset does not support 850 MHz? Maybe later in the year TrueMove, AIS/One-2-Call or DTAC/Happy will be options for you as they roll out 2100 MHz.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/573846-what-works-where-2g-3g-coverage-maps-thailand/

So my 3G 2100Mhz phone purchased in Thailand 3 years minus 3 months ago MAY now work!

PROGRESS !?!?

I'm guessing your phone supports 900/2100 MHz 3G so you could have been using AIS/One-2-Call or TOT/MVNOs for the past few years. If you want to use TrueMove (not TrueMove H) or DTAC/Happy, you would have to wait until they deploy 3G on 2100 MHz.

I have been using DTAC/Happy 3G here for well over one year and continue to be satisfied with the performance.

The following is about the best speed test I've seen; note my hardware is limited to 14.4 Mbps; I also use T-Mobile in the U.S., 3G on re-farmed AT&T 1900 MHz spectrum, $3/day for unlimited voice, text and data.

post-9615-0-06330000-1363314050_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-16762600-1363314067_thumb.jp

I wish I were back in the US or UK, where I could reliably get a fast signal, nation-wide, cheaply and with fantastic customer service to boot.

I blame Thailand's 3rd world telecommunications on Thaksin!

well without Thaksin there would be maybe very little cell services here Los. He was the person that made it easy for all Thais to have and use cell services. Without him no BTS no MRT, soak that up awhile.

So my 3G 2100Mhz phone purchased in Thailand 3 years minus 3 months ago MAY now work!

PROGRESS !?!?

Most phones that are capable of 3G data will be able to receive it on at least two bands -- usually either 850/2100 Mhz or 900/2100 Mhz... (The more expensive phones usually will receive on 3 or more 3G or LTE type bands).

So depending on where you live, you've probably had the ability to receive 3G from some provider all along.

Right now in Thailand:

True Move H and DTAC have 3G on 850 Mhz

AIS has it on 900 Mhz.

TOT and their MVNO's like I-Mobile have it on 2100 Mhz....

But whether any particular carrier currently has 3G coverage in the particular area where you live on the bands your phone can receive 3G on is another, different question.

In a few months, supposedly, True Move H, AIS, and DTAC will all launch their new 3G services on the 2100 Mhz band, in addition to those bands that they already have service on. So that certainly should at least expand the opportunities for coverage.

I blame Thailand's 3rd world telecommunications on Thaksin!well without Thaksin there would be maybe very little cell services here Los. He was the person that made it easy for all Thais to have and use cell services. Without him no BTS no MRT, soak that up awhile.

Also that BS about being cheaper the US and UK. 4 g is $100. To $130. A month in the US and here $27. Per month come on the what's all the bitching about cell services here are far better than the US. Costnmers service here also make the US look like Sh-t...... that's why you need to sign up for minimum 2 years at that price that $1200, Per year for 2 years. Here I spend $240 per year and no contract. Just pick a plan, and way better coverage.

FYI, here's the links to the 3G coverage maps for the major carriers. It should at least give you some idea of how their coverage goes...though I'm sure their posted maps are somewhat out of date.

AIS

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/en/3g/coverage/

TOT

http://icoverage.tot3g.net/

True Move H

http://www.truemove-h.com/en//3gwifi_network_coverage.aspx

DTAC

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/lifenetwork/3gnetwork.html

BTW, the DTAC website makes it easy to see, at least initially, how much more limited their 3G coverage is even in the BKK area compared to their virtually universal coverage of their slower EDGE data that runs on the GSM bands. The blue shaded areas on the maps indicates their coverage areas.

DTAC EDGE Data Coverage

post-58284-0-50551800-1363317741_thumb.j

DTAC 3G as of 1st quarter 2013

post-58284-0-88531600-1363317752_thumb.j

I blame Thailand's 3rd world telecommunications on Thaksin!well without Thaksin there would be maybe very little cell services here Los. He was the person that made it easy for all Thais to have and use cell services. Without him no BTS no MRT, soak that up awhile.

Also that BS about being cheaper the US and UK. 4 g is $100. To $130. A month in the US and here $27. Per month come on the what's all the bitching about cell services here are far better than the US. Costnmers service here also make the US look like Sh-t...... that's why you need to sign up for minimum 2 years at that price that $1200, Per year for 2 years. Here I spend $240 per year and no contract. Just pick a plan, and way better coverage.

Things have changed quite a bit in the U.S. perhaps since you were there last? There are many MVNOs offering pay as you go GSM services on T-Mo and AT&T. So you can now get an unlimited voice, text and 3G/4G/LTE 30-day plan for $45/month (cheaper if you pre-pay for 3/6/12 months).

Since my visits are relatively short - just a few days - I pay $3 per day for unlimited voice/text/3G data with T-Mobile. Obviously that works out to $90 per month, but were I to visit for more than say 21 days I might opt for an MVNO like StraightTalk. T-Mo's customer service (help desk, retail presence, chat, web-based account management, Android account management apps) while not as good as it was before, is still superior to anything here, IME.

So for what we need 4g realy , in my homecountry we allready have , it coasts 70€ a month and more in other country's data limit 20 gb and then go down to some kb, and with a 100 mbit line you reach 2o gb quickly, still to expensive !