Expert Predicts Thai Rice Pledging Scheme To Drive Market Prices Up Soon

webfact

Expert predicts Thai rice pledging scheme to drive market prices up soon

BANGKOK, 13 March 2013 (NNT) – An expert in agricultural economics predicts that the Thai government’s rice pledging scheme will soon help drive prices in the market up.

Mr. Chai Watcharong, an expert in agricultural economics, commented that the government’s rice pledging scheme is a direct state intervention in the rice market, which is also a long-term investment plan to boost prices in the world market and elevate farmers’ livelihood.

He said that, under this scheme, the state budget will be distributed to many parts of the country while helping spur growth.

Mr. Chai reckoned that, while the government will sell rice supply under its control when the prices are right, its success can be measured by the benefits enjoyed by farmers across Thailand and higher rice prices.

He went on to say that the government should continue the pledging scheme for some more time as rice can be stored for a long period of time and there appear to be more than sufficient silos for the new lots of rice supply.

However, he suggested that farmers should receive advices on cost-cutting, productivity boost or agricultural zoning, all of which will enable farmers to better take care of themselves over the long run.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-03-13 footer_n.gif

The Thai farmer will not benefit from anything only the top people in the chain make the big money , prices for food is still going up as it is in the rest of the world, Bhart 1000 doesent go very far these days and i dont live on bhart 300 a day and raley drink alcahol.

• Like 2

What a bunch of BS! The main people who benefited from this scheme or should I say scam was the middle men and the politicians they paid off. Farmers have not really benefited from the scheme/scam if anything it has hurt them and it was just a big rip off of tax payers money. But now some so called agricultural "expert" is looking into his crystal ball and says the price of rice will go up soon but the only thing that is going up is the amount of BS over this whole scheme/scam!

• Like 1

I read they are paying 800Bht per ton ,per month to store it, so any price rises are already

eaten into, then add shrinkage due to pests, and what goes out the back door,the price

would have to double just to break even, but everyone knows this exercise is not about

making a profit.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

A veterinarian, rooster expert, rice guru, fortune teller, this guy is a jack of all trades. Wonder if he also knows how to build high speed trains.

No no... I'm sure he is an expert on rice. Being such an obvious plant and all that. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

the world is growing more rice, bloomberg predicts an over production ...

the only way the rice is getting more expensive, will be in the THAI shop and restaurants

that will nicely compensate the 300 baht per day wage hike resulting in a more expensive everything

which is called INFLATION

• Like 1

Which market Price?

The price I see in the supermarket here is up anyway

Nice one !!!!! So the headline is correct after all .....

Exactly. That's what I thought the piece was about when I saw the headline. Cue....exclude rice from the inflation calculation.

Expert predicts...........

My dear old daddy told me many years ago an expert was some guy out of town with a briefcase trying to convince the locals he knew more than they did.

• Like 1

Fresh from his skype session with Thaksin Mr. Chai Watcharong, an expert in agricultural economics, commented that the government’s rice pledging scheme is a direct state intervention in the rice market, which is also a long-term investment plan to boost prices in the world market and elevate farmers’ livelihood.

Mr. Chai reckoned that, while the government will sell rice supply under its control when the prices are right and extimated that should be just after hell freezes over.

He went on to say that the government should continue the pledging scheme for some more time as rice take ages to rot and there appear to be more than sufficient silos for the new lots of rice supply to rot in.

Sarcasm

Edited by waza

The Thai farmer will not benefit from anything only the top people in the chain make the big money , prices for food is still going up as it is in the rest of the world, Bhart 1000 doesent go very far these days and i dont live on bhart 300 a day and raley drink alcahol.

Exactly he like all the other experts and I have to throw academia into the deal are always saying

"success can be measured by the benefits enjoyed by farmers"

Never once a break down on the benefits. When forced to sight an example they site higher rice prices omitting that the cost of production has gone up also.

Never any thinbg about the little guy.

The lot of them have earned the prefix ex but the rest of it is more like smart people.whistling.gif

Fresh from his skype session with Thaksin Mr. Chai Watcharong, an expert in agricultural economics, commented that the government’s rice pledging scheme is a direct state intervention in the rice market, which is also a long-term investment plan to boost prices in the world market and elevate farmers’ livelihood.

Mr. Chai reckoned that, while the government will sell rice supply under its control when the prices are right and extimated that should be just after hell freezes over.

He went on to say that the government should continue the pledging scheme for some more time as rice take ages to rot and there appear to be more than sufficient silos for the new lots of rice supply to rot in.

Sarcasm

Ya that sufficient amounts of silos got me. It wasn't long ago that they were considering using warehouses at DonMuang.

I imagine by now every PT member has several rice silo's with plans for future ones.

Sarcasm

Ya that sufficient amounts of silos got me. It wasn't long ago that they were considering using warehouses at DonMuang.

I imagine by now every PT member has several rice silo's with plans for future ones.

lol, Some just opens a Silo R Us store. PS: ex= has been + spert= drip under pressure

• Like 1