Can I Buy A New/used Car With Tourist Visa?

ITGabs

Can I buy a car with Tourist Visa?

what are the requirements?, legal stuff etc

I bought a new motorcycle in the name of my Thai GF time ago and everything looks so complicated

Recommendations? what i must now?

It is a bit complicated yes.

To get it on your name you need to produce an address so this could be your gf address .

But you have to register there to.

Then you take the greenbook signed by your gf and a copy from her ID and a reciept from the bike where you bought it before

if you no have this need to make one between the 2 of you.

And a copie of your pasport.

Then you go to the nearest transport office with al the papers, without complications you will pay around 1000 baht for this.

But the officer will check the bike and you need to bring the bike same as a car .

If there are modifications on the bike price will go up for the hole thing or you change the bike to standard and come back

What they don t like at al is a different engine number then in the greenbook if you have this you need a signed statement

from the people who delivered and fitted the engine under the bike incl the price.

You do not need an address but an address confirmation (certificate of residence), normally received from the nearest immigration office. In some places you can even get that with a visa exempt entry.

If you have address, no problem. You must get letter from your Embassy or ''perhaps'' your local immigration will issue the letter.

Or get it from the local Amphur's office as I did with the help of my landlord when I lived up North.

OP it is not really a difficult procedure to get the car in your name and definitely worth the effort because it is yours 100% and you can sell it or whatever you wish in the future.

On tourist visa its very simple. Go to immigration, get a certificate of living (2 photos). Copies of ur passport, go to transpo office. Take vehicle and docuuments frm the previous owner too.If u buy from a dealer they can handle all.

If you have address, no problem. You must get letter from your Embassy or ''perhaps'' your local immigration will issue the letter.

Or get it from the local Amphur's office as I did with the help of my landlord when I lived up North.

OP it is not really a difficult procedure to get the car in your name and definitely worth the effort because it is yours 100% and you can sell it or whatever you wish in the future.

It depends a lot on the person on who s name it is now .

As we know not every one is dependable here in Thailand.

Incase of any doubts its defenatly worth the afford with a bit of luck you do the hole thing in a day .

• 4 weeks later...

Incase of any doubts its defenatly worth the afford with a bit of luck you do the hole thing in a day .

Thanks for the info, I know that it depends but I have a very good idea of the variables thanks!

I don't know I the next is better to a new thread but...

I've been in the "transit office" the office that give the drive licenses to Thai citizens, my gf renew their license from one year to 5 years, we ask about if I can get an international license for she and for me, they said that for thai and farang they can give international license but first one year license later 5 year license and later some test and the international, but was not clear about the "tourist visa" they said that I 'should' have a non immigrant visa but was not clear.

in your experience, do you know if there are some shortcuts?? I know that probably my national license plus the expired international license will be ok for some countries of Asia but I prefer to have everything updated (I am planning a trip around Asia in car)

I have my ChiIean drive license ok, the international drive one expired and just thai tourist visa

Thanks for the info, I know that it depends but I have a very good idea of the variables thanks!

I've been in the "transit office" the office that give the drive licenses to Thai citizens, my gf renew their license from one year to 5 years, we ask about if I can get an international license for she and for me, they said that for thai and farang they can give international license but first one year license later 5 year license and later some test and the international, but was not clear about the "tourist visa" they said that I 'should' have a non immigrant visa but was not clear.

in your experience, do you know if there are some shortcuts?? I know that probably my national license plus the expired international license will be ok for some countries of Asia but I prefer to have everything updated (I am planning a trip around Asia in car)

I have my ChiIean drive license ok, the international drive one expired and just thai tourist visa

Very unlikely to get a 5 year licence on a visa waiver or tourist visa - I tried and failed in Pattaya.

Not sure if you can get Thai IDP on a one year "temporary" DL - someone else should know, however it may also depend on the place you apply at.

If push comes to shove could you not just get a new IDP by post from your home country?

Possibly the best person to help you with this is an expat named Tim Brooks he owns Siam Motor World in Bangkok he deals in cars and bikes and has a few available for sale but he also has a document check option so maybe you could talk ti him and see what he could do for you.

www.siammotorworld.com

• Like 1

Very unlikely to get a 5 year licence on a visa waiver or tourist visa - I tried and failed in Pattaya.

Not sure if you can get Thai IDP on a one year "temporary" DL - someone

else should know, however it may also depend on the place you apply at.

If push comes to shove could you not just get a new IDP by post from your home country?

Funny, I checked again to know if there is a way and I can! I need to send a legal document authorizing a friend to get my IDP and send the original national drive permit and other things than can be scanned here and printed there, later my friend must send me the documents back and the IDP and that it's, a quite strange process but is possible ^_^