Most-Relaxing Coffee Shop / Tea Shop In Chiang Mai?

ywamer

Okay. Much has been said about who has the best coffee in CM. But that's not my question. What I want to know is, which coffee shop has the best ambience (or comfort level) for spending a few hours in a business meeting or working on a laptop, studying, etc?

I don't care if the coffee is rubbish or they only sell Nescafe. Well, I do actually. But if they have great ambience I'll skip the sludge and order a tea!

I just want a nice relaxing place to sit and get work done. Requirements? Air-con and Free Wifi are preferred.

Any suggestions? My favorite so far is Mo'C Mo'L's coffee shop on Huay Kaew Rd. Great for business meetings, beating the heat, and spending a few hours... IF one can find a seat.

I doubt there is such a place that isnt full of students sponging the free wi-fi and staring at an empty glass for 8hrs.

go to a place that charges for wi-fi like starbucks....or even the Kopf cafe opposite the UN irish, that looks pretty ambient and they charge for wifi so the riff raff dont go there.

I doubt there is such a place that isnt full of students sponging the free wi-fi and staring at an empty glass for 8hrs.

go to a place that charges for wi-fi like starbucks....or even the Kopf cafe opposite the UN irish, that looks pretty ambient and they charge for wifi so the riff raff dont go there.

Hahaha, that is funny. Just travel a little bit afield and there are plenty of quiet, comfy, and tasteful coffee shops a few minutes, or more from the center of town. It's an ever changing thing, it is common to see a wonderfully/artfully decorated, comfy, coffee shop close in a year, or more. Most often a case of being in a wrong location.

Here is one of my favs, that I could always grab a couch, and most times was the only customer. The coffee was never going to win any awards of course - http://goo.gl/maps/Ni4ZE

Segafredo's,Airport Plaza Ground Floor next to Tops Market.Fantastic ambiance,lots of hotties walking around but WiFi isn't free.I always used the 3G on my iPad to circumvent that problem.

Oh nearly forgot,best coffee available in Thailand also!

Edited by Bluenose BKK
  • Like 1

I , personally don't think much of the cheap charlie moochers who do seem to feel that you open your door just for their comfort and convenience. One coffee and expect the rest to be like the Salvation Army.

If you are the owner of one of these places , and object to this practice, why not post a sign that indicates a minimum charge per person if you wish to use the a/c , electric, wifi etc. May cause some to think, but I think that the primary complainers would be the very same ones that are the violaters. ...... then if they go somewhere else....mission accomplished.

There are places that take care of the poor and down trodden and they should be commended and helped wherever possible. But the problem is not really them...... they don't probably have a computer device anyhow..... the problem is those who can afford to pay just do not want to. The real Cheap Charlies.

We do not charge for wifi, but I would personally not quibble one bit ii someone came in and wished to use this and that and not support their own using of services and not purchasing other than a bottle or water or such,,,,,,, just tell them this is not free soup kitchen and its time to leave.

Good people you work with....... mooches you send on their way.

• Like 2

Ppl like Maramooch and his buddy Yawanker could end up seeing managed/timed wifi services becoming popular, and that would be a shame!

I frequently use coffee shops whist traveling for wifi: In Ubon Ratchathani (Sarin Coffee) 2 hours whilst waiting for my wife to complete medicals at URGH - I had 3 cappu's and 2 cheesecakes + met with 3 friends who also had coffee during that time.

At KL's LCCT terminal, Obrama Coffee used to have free wi-fi and ppl would sit on one coffee for 2 or 3 hours awaiting flights .... and hog the one power point as well! Service now discontinued and all must use LCCT's slow wi-fi.

Doi Tung at airport plaza, very comfortable overstuffed chairs and sofas. Recently hung- out there for a couple hours while waiting for immigration ..... I didn't feel they resented my presence as the place was mostly empty and I had a couple coffees.

Raming is nice but not aircon and the garden has mosquitos.

The actions of a certain group, as discussed in this thread brings, to mind an old saying that I think fits....... the one about...

"Killing to Golden Goose"

If you take into account that a cup of coffee at some of these places costs more than a meal at others, the goose still lays.

the "salon"sit is airconditioned. I'm normally an aircon person, but their high ceilings, ceiling fans and floor fans keep it very cool so we usually

sit in the main area. I don't sit outside as its also the smoking area....

Doi Tung at airport plaza, very comfortable overstuffed chairs and sofas. Recently hung- out there for a couple hours while waiting for immigration ..... I didn't feel they resented my presence as the place was mostly empty and I had a couple coffees.

Raming is nice but not aircon and the garden has mosquitos.

Edited by CMSteve

Any S & P bakery has Blue Cup coffee which is very good.One in Airport Plaza,one in Rimping next to Narawhat bridge and a third one near to the turn off to Rajaphat University and next to the petrol station.
All air-conned and very pleasant,have good Thai and Asian fusion food too at reasonalbe prices,plus their tuna sandwiches are the best for just 50 baht!

The actions of a certain group, as discussed in this thread brings, to mind an old saying that I think fits....... the one about...

"Killing to Golden Goose"

Perhaps they are not good enough at what they do to be able to pay for a good service at home.

Be interesting to see how many of them are just checking their e mail if the immigration walked in and started checking visas.wai2.gif

Edited by hellodolly

There's a Ramino Cafe, just south of the junction of Super Highway and the 1st Ring Road. Here's a link to it on Google Maps:

http://goo.gl/maps/N3jLO

I'm referrring to the branch pinned with the letter "B."

It's usually very quiet, always cool. The Wi-Fi is reasonably fast and the service is good. In my estimation, the coffee is reasonable. The main building has a couple nice places that might work for meetings.

Ban Suan Cafe

The little cafe is very romantic, simple, stylish and charming with a little stream running through the restaurant for those with smelly feet. After walking around and admiring their stylish decor, their home-grown organic vegetables and taking in the ambiance, sit down by the water and chill out. The menu has coffees, teas and drinks to offer and there are a few single-dish meals as well. Recommended dishes include pad tai, krapao chicken and roti with crispy prawns...simple, but each dish offering just a slight twist from the norm. The crispy prawn, when bitten into, made a crunch that must have carried all the way to the Royal Flora. The large NO Wifi sign is quite admirable, taking away our civilisation crutch and forcing us to appreciate the immediate surroundings. Highly recommended, Ban Suan Cafe is chilled, relaxed, offers great - if limited - food, and is apparently THE hip and trendy cafe to be these days.

(review from CityLife mag)

Go towards the entrance of the Royal Flora. At the roundabout turn left in the direction of Wat Phra That Doi Kham, keep going straight on. From the temple it is about one kilometre to the restaurant you will see signs for the restaurant every 300 metres, the restaurant is on the left hand side.

Further up the road (stay right) is the Valley Cafe,with WFii and two other places further on I have not been to yet.

Natural "Ambience" is the key phrase for these places.