Teaching Contract Ending - Which Immigration Office?

Hi all smile.png

I currently teach in Kalasin Province and my Immigration office is in Sakhon Nakhon.

My employment contract ends soon and I will be going to Laos for a Tourist visa - will be retunring to UK for a few months later in April

I will have my letter from the school to terminate my non Imm B visa in the next few days.

I understand that I am unable to leave the country until I present this letter, with my passport, to the Immigration office.

My question is: Do I have to go to Sakhon Nakon for the visa/document process, or can I just go to Nong Kai Immigration for this?

It would be far simpler to go to NK and then over to Laos for my Tourist visa.

I asked 3 different Immigration offices and have had different replies from each.

Thanks in advance smile.png

Edited by chonabot

I agree. Sakon Nakhon is where you need to go they are nice there. Then I agree again That Suvannakhet is also a great place to go for TV as they are also nice.

You do not need to go to the immigration office where your extention was done, just go to any land border crossing, show the letter of termination and you will be fine. If you do it before being at a border crossing your visa extention will be null and void and charged most likely charged for an over-stay.

You do not need to go to the immigration office where your extention was done, just go to any land border crossing, show the letter of termination and you will be fine. If you do it before being at a border crossing your visa extention will be null and void and charged most likely charged for an over-stay.

At the border they might send you back to deal with it at your own immigration office.

At the border they might send you back to deal with it at your own immigration office.

Concur. There have been reports about this. OP might be suspecious to immigration having an extension of the temporary permission of stay but not having a re-entry permit.

One of my former colleagues is going to Laos on Monday to apply for a Tourist Visa.

She is American, and she has left without her termination letter.

I advised her to wait fro the letter but she is adamant that she doesn't require this.

Will she get a shock at the border?

Probably not likely but Nong Khai has generated several reports of being turned about to cancel there extensions of stay before being allowed to depart.

If I decide to pop over to Savannaket without visiting Sakhon Nakhon first, for the cancellation, is it likely that they will do the same?

On another note, if my 14 year old son who is on a non-Imm type 'O', which will be automatically cancelled after my Type B is, does not get a tourist visa, will it be fine for him to overstay until mid April? I understand that he will not be charged, but is there likely to be any repercussions when we fly out of Los?

Edited by chonabot

Probably less chance than Nong Khai as have no seen any report of a problem there and believe it is often used now. As for son just expect they will stamp his passport noting the overstay. That is an extension of stay he is on if subject to your employment extension rather than a 90 day visa issue - if just a 90 day visa it would not end.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My contract, work permit and visa (extension of stay) all expire at the end of the month.

The following day is Labor Day. Government offices will be shut.

1) How much leeway do I have before being liable for overstay?

2) Do I need a letter from the school confirming I have finished the contract?

3) Do I need a receipt for my work permit? I remember this used to be a snag for some reason.

Regards

- Roger -

Your WP and permission to stay have come to a natural end, so you just leave on the last day of your permission to stay or are on overstay. (You can get an extra 7 days from immigration for 1,900 baht, but might require a ticket out of Thailand).

If you want to extend your contract, WP and permission to stay you can apply a few weeks early and start the process.

Labour day is not a government holiday in Thailand.