Smog Blankets Northern Thailand

webfact

Strated two days ago, woke up with the taste of smoke in my throat, i always leave the windows open at night, hit very hard this time,, Then again , better than a nuclear cloud hanging over us, they still haven't contained that i hear!!

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same evry year, and as long as Thailand is lawless. Nothing will change. A lot of talk! thats it Thailand!

It's easy to say that but it's harder to actually think about solving the problem! Much of the airborne pollution in the north of Thailand at this time of year is home grown in the northern provinces but a lot of it comes from Myanmar and southern China, in nearly all cases it originates in remote(ish) areas that are sparsely populated. So tell me, how do the authorities in all the different countries involved here, go about changing the culture of remote rural farmers covering a significant area of SE Asia, a culture and tradition that has existed for hundreds of years?

Education, education & more education. Look at the fire maps for CM & CR. Next step the mountain / forest people. Other countries can only be pressured by Thailand to clean up their act, once Thailand has done the same.

As I recall, education was mooted as the number one factor back in 2005 during my first foray into this subject, by all accounts it is working slowly but then we have the issue of expectations to deal with. My best guess, based on what I've seen of it all, is that the problem may reduced to acceptable levels with 20 years,

• Like 1

I just got back from a trip to Nakhon Phanom then down the Mekong for a few days and then back to Pattaya. The haze was terrible. A few times we could barely see Laos from right on the river. Fires were burning everywhere. And with the drought...there were lots of large fires.

I live in Chiang Saen & cycle every day from here to G/T . I have not seen any fires

in this area. Altho today the smog was very bad, could hardly see the sun, but temps

still in the 30`s.

10 years, 20 years from now it will be the same. I dont see this problem being solved anytime soon.

Speaking of Bangkok where I live, air pollution (not from fires but from vehicles) is really a huge health problem, with documented long term health effects.

But again, Thais do not seem to be bothered about it. If you do not "see" it, it does not exist.

i read a poll some weeks ago on the ranking of problems people face in Bangkok. Traffic jams was among the top of the list, and air pollution, lack of green areas far far behind.

Environment concerns each and everyone of us on this planet. There are no frontiers.

Edited by peterbkk9
  • Like 1

The initial damage assessment found that the fire quickly burned 500 rai

of parkland mainly due to leaves, grasses and underbrush which are

quite inflammable when dry.

Am I missing something here?

Exactly. rather old fashioned terminology. Flammable burns..

Also SMOG? Doubt there's any fog component in this- It looks like straight out smoke.

Starting to look like Shanghai.

The initial damage assessment found that the fire quickly burned 500 rai

of parkland mainly due to leaves, grasses and underbrush which are

quite inflammable when dry.

Am I missing something here?

Exactly. rather old fashioned terminology. Flammable burns..

Also SMOG? Doubt there's any fog component in this- It looks like straight out smoke.

Starting to look like Shanghai.

http://grammarist.com/usage/flammable-inflammable/

The "Duh" file is one of the biggest in Thailand. This isn't smog; it's smoke. Last year was so bad everyone in Chiang Rai went to the hospital, and all my friends in Chiang Mai left.

I like the north, but to put up with smoke 4-6 months out of the year? No thanks.

10 years, 20 years from now it will be the same. I dont see this problem being solved anytime soon.

Speaking of Bangkok where I live, air pollution (not from fires but from vehicles) is really a huge health problem, with documented long term health effects.

But again, Thais do not seem to be bothered about it. If you do not "see" it, it does not exist.

i read a poll some weeks ago on the ranking of problems people face in Bangkok. Traffic jams was among the top of the list, and air pollution, lack of green areas far far behind.

Environment concerns each and everyone of us on this planet. There are no frontiers.

Sh*t man Since I am immortale this is very disturbing news Pete.

The "Duh" file is one of the biggest in Thailand. This isn't smog; it's smoke. Last year was so bad everyone in Chiang Rai went to the hospital, and all my friends in Chiang Mai left.

I like the north, but to put up with smoke 4-6 months out of the year? No thanks.

The entire population of CR went to hospital, you think! But regardless, the smoke here only lasts two months at tops and most often it's about six weeks, I know it seems like much longer but it isn't.

laws need revision, especially against low temperature burning of plastics. see here:

What is the harm in burning waste?

Practically all uncontrolled burning of waste releases toxic pollutants directly into the air without treatment or filtering of any sort. This is now one of the major sources of some pollutants impacting on air quality in Ireland.

The main problem with any form of 'do it yourself' incineration or backyard burning is that it is rarely carried out at temperatures high enough to destroy toxic substances. They receive very little oxygen and produce a lot of smoke. Under these conditions a great many toxic substances are produced. Virtually all of the pollutants are released into the air close to ground level where they are easily inhaled. Under calm weather conditions toxins released from this type of burning can remain at dangerous levels near the ground for a long time, causing high amounts of contamination near the source.

Why is this different from burning waste in large scale licensed incinerators?

There is no comparison between uncontrolled, low temperature burning of waste and the controlled and regulated high temperature conditions under which licensed incinerators operate. The dioxins released from the uncontrolled burning of one tonne of household waste (the average level of annual waste per household in Ireland) are 55 times greater than the dioxins emitted if the same tonne of waste was treated in a modern municipal incinerator.

Uncontrolled low temperature burning of waste occurs at about 200 - 400oc, the temperature range that dioxins are formed! All pollutants are then released directly into the atmosphere with no treatment or filtering. 73% of dioxins released into the Irish atmosphere at present are as a result of uncontrolled low temperature burning, with a further 11% from accidental building fires. This makes backyard burning the single biggest source of dioxins (many of which cause cancer) released into the Irish environment.

There is no type of waste that is safe to burn at low temperatures, including paper, wood and garden waste. The real solution is to manage our waste by Reducing, Reusing and Recycling.

Some of the pollutants that can be generated by low temperature uncontrolled burning are:

Dioxins and Furans—Dioxins become a persistent pollutant in the environment for many years - they enter the environment or the body and persist because of their chemical stability and may accumulate in fat tissue in animals and humans. Some dioxins are known to cause cancer and a variety of illnesses including skin lesions and birth defects.

Carbon monoxide - small amounts may cause headaches and nausea

Styrene -The burning of polystyrene - such as foam cups, meat trays, egg containers, yogurt and deli containers - releases styrene. Styrene gas can readily be absorbed through the skin and lungs. At high levels styrene vapour can damage the eyes and mucous membranes. Long term exposure to styrene can affect the central nervous system, causing headaches, fatigue, weakness, and depression.

Microscopic particles that can get deep into the lungs leading to asthma, bronchitis and heart problems. These are particularly dangerous to people who already have respiratory or cardiac disease.

Ash from burning may contain mercury, lead, arsenic and other heavy metals, which are toxic to animals and humans, causing heart, kidney and brain damage. They may also accumulate in vegetables grown in soil where the ash has fallen and they can then be passed onto humans when eaten.

What are the special regulations for Farm Waste?

Under the new regulations farmers are required to follow a specified waste hierarchy only permitting the burning of uncontaminated wood, trees, tree trimmings, leaves, brush or other similar wastes generated by agricultural practices as a last resort.

The agricultural exemption applies until 1st January 2014. Farmers who feel that they have no alternative to burning waste must notify the local authority in advance of their intention to carry out the disposal & provide information under the regulations. (Forms are available from Wicklow County Council or from this website by clicking the link below.) After 2014 farmers will have to apply for a Certificate of Registration under the Facility Permit Regulations.

pdfdoc.gifSchedule Application for Burning Agricultural Waste - 23kb

The following steps should first be taken to manage agricultural wastes:
  • waste arisings should be reduced in accordance with best agricultural practice
  • waste should be reused where possible
  • waste should be recycled through shredding and used as compost or wood chippings
  • wastes should be salvaged for use a fuel where practicable

The purpose of these new regulations is to abolish the practice of burning waste. It will be illegal to burn waste under the Waste Management Acts 1996 - 2008 and the Air Pollution Act 1987. An exemption has been made for farmers only as a last resort to burn wastes generated by agricultural practices. The Environmental Protection Agency has highlighted in recent years the necessity to combat this persistent and dangerous practice.

Manage your waste properly

Reduce: Avoid disposable items. Buy products in bulk or economy size instead of individually wrapped. Buy durable, repairable goods that can be recharged, reused or refilled.

Reuse: Donate unwanted clothing, furniture, toys to friends, relatives and charities. Mend or repair rather than throw away.

Recycle: Make sure you recycle and buy only containers you know are recyclable.

Compost: Contact Wicklow County Council about buying a home composter to recycle your garden waste as well as certain types of kitchen waste.

Wicklow County Council has five recycling centres. You can dramatically reduce the volume of your waste that needs disposal by using a facility like these. Contact us for a list of permitted collectors before you give anybody your residual waste for disposal.

So you read and copy a lot, get real and put finger to keyboard.

We're just facing the yearly circus: "we will monitor, we will discuss, we will campaign..." but none is able/ready to enforce anything. So year after year it is the same pitiful story.

This summer started well thanks to climate conditions with some welcome rains (nights are still surprising cold now).

But we just get back to the usual smoke. Maybe not a lot of burning right in CM but visibility dropped to close to minimum in the last couple of days and the smell of burned plastic doesn't come from Myanmar or Laos. Just the same bad habits repeating endlessly everywhere.

This total incapacity of addressing a problem is amazing.

And don't think its a picnic in Bangkok, either. All this crap air gets blown down to the sea during the winter months and

we have to breathe it, too. Air quality index is constantly in the "yellow" (unhealthful) every day in Angel City. Haven't seen a pure,

blue sky in months. Can't wait for the winds to turn around.

I am just back from a trip all over Thailand from Chiang Mai to Samui and through Chonburi back again. The only place I saw clean air was Samui. All over Thailand the air is crap. They've one of the blandest landscapes in the world and some of the worst air pollution. I am talking about the main belly of Thailand. The biggest joke of all is that as soon as there's a a green patch with some water falling off a cliff, they charge you 400 baht to see it. But that is another story!

Edited by SPIKECM
  • Like 1

laws need revision, especially against low temperature burning of plastics. see here:

What is the harm in burning waste?

Practically all uncontrolled burning of waste releases toxic pollutants directly into the air without treatment or filtering of any sort. This is now one of the major sources of some pollutants impacting on air quality in Ireland.

The main problem with any form of 'do it yourself' incineration or backyard burning is that it is rarely carried out at temperatures high enough to destroy toxic substances. They receive very little oxygen and produce a lot of smoke. Under these conditions a great many toxic substances are produced. Virtually all of the pollutants are released into the air close to ground level where they are easily inhaled. Under calm weather conditions toxins released from this type of burning can remain at dangerous levels near the ground for a long time, causing high amounts of contamination near the source.

Why is this different from burning waste in large scale licensed incinerators?

There is no comparison between uncontrolled, low temperature burning of waste and the controlled and regulated high temperature conditions under which licensed incinerators operate. The dioxins released from the uncontrolled burning of one tonne of household waste (the average level of annual waste per household in Ireland) are 55 times greater than the dioxins emitted if the same tonne of waste was treated in a modern municipal incinerator.

Uncontrolled low temperature burning of waste occurs at about 200 - 400oc, the temperature range that dioxins are formed! All pollutants are then released directly into the atmosphere with no treatment or filtering. 73% of dioxins released into the Irish atmosphere at present are as a result of uncontrolled low temperature burning, with a further 11% from accidental building fires. This makes backyard burning the single biggest source of dioxins (many of which cause cancer) released into the Irish environment.

There is no type of waste that is safe to burn at low temperatures, including paper, wood and garden waste. The real solution is to manage our waste by Reducing, Reusing and Recycling.

Some of the pollutants that can be generated by low temperature uncontrolled burning are:

Dioxins and Furans—Dioxins become a persistent pollutant in the environment for many years - they enter the environment or the body and persist because of their chemical stability and may accumulate in fat tissue in animals and humans. Some dioxins are known to cause cancer and a variety of illnesses including skin lesions and birth defects.

Carbon monoxide - small amounts may cause headaches and nausea

Styrene -The burning of polystyrene - such as foam cups, meat trays, egg containers, yogurt and deli containers - releases styrene. Styrene gas can readily be absorbed through the skin and lungs. At high levels styrene vapour can damage the eyes and mucous membranes. Long term exposure to styrene can affect the central nervous system, causing headaches, fatigue, weakness, and depression.

Microscopic particles that can get deep into the lungs leading to asthma, bronchitis and heart problems. These are particularly dangerous to people who already have respiratory or cardiac disease.

Ash from burning may contain mercury, lead, arsenic and other heavy metals, which are toxic to animals and humans, causing heart, kidney and brain damage. They may also accumulate in vegetables grown in soil where the ash has fallen and they can then be passed onto humans when eaten.

What are the special regulations for Farm Waste?

Under the new regulations farmers are required to follow a specified waste hierarchy only permitting the burning of uncontaminated wood, trees, tree trimmings, leaves, brush or other similar wastes generated by agricultural practices as a last resort.

The agricultural exemption applies until 1st January 2014. Farmers who feel that they have no alternative to burning waste must notify the local authority in advance of their intention to carry out the disposal & provide information under the regulations. (Forms are available from Wicklow County Council or from this website by clicking the link below.) After 2014 farmers will have to apply for a Certificate of Registration under the Facility Permit Regulations.

pdfdoc.gifSchedule Application for Burning Agricultural Waste - 23kb

The following steps should first be taken to manage agricultural wastes:
  • waste arisings should be reduced in accordance with best agricultural practice
  • waste should be reused where possible
  • waste should be recycled through shredding and used as compost or wood chippings
  • wastes should be salvaged for use a fuel where practicable

The purpose of these new regulations is to abolish the practice of burning waste. It will be illegal to burn waste under the Waste Management Acts 1996 - 2008 and the Air Pollution Act 1987. An exemption has been made for farmers only as a last resort to burn wastes generated by agricultural practices. The Environmental Protection Agency has highlighted in recent years the necessity to combat this persistent and dangerous practice.

Manage your waste properly

Reduce: Avoid disposable items. Buy products in bulk or economy size instead of individually wrapped. Buy durable, repairable goods that can be recharged, reused or refilled.

Reuse: Donate unwanted clothing, furniture, toys to friends, relatives and charities. Mend or repair rather than throw away.

Recycle: Make sure you recycle and buy only containers you know are recyclable.

Compost: Contact Wicklow County Council about buying a home composter to recycle your garden waste as well as certain types of kitchen waste.

Wicklow County Council has five recycling centres. You can dramatically reduce the volume of your waste that needs disposal by using a facility like these. Contact us for a list of permitted collectors before you give anybody your residual waste for disposal.

Now pass this on to the poor rice farmer who by the way does not give a sh....... Tell the rural poor to buy in bulk who are mostly stick thin from lack of nutrition, Not knocking your sound advice which is ok for farangs but hell this is Thailand where only money today counts

And don't think its a picnic in Bangkok, either. All this crap air gets blown down to the sea during the winter months and

we have to breathe it, too. Air quality index is constantly in the "yellow" (unhealthful) every day in Angel City. Haven't seen a pure,

I am just back from a trip all over Thailand from Chiang Mai to Samui and through Chonburi back again. The only place I saw clean air was Samui. All over Thailand the air is crap. They've one of the blandest landscapes in the world andsome of the worst air pollution. The biggest joke of all is that as soon as there's a a green patch with some water falling off a cliff, they charge you 400 baht to see it. But that is another story!

you should trty Hua Hin loveeeeeeely

Today, by comparison to other polluted days over the past ten years, is really quite good, I think.

Agree, today was bad and the recent-unseasonal ,rains a while back helped to clear the air. Havn't seen too many fires out here in the wilds of Hang Dong and no smelly plastic fumes unlike in the past few years. This time in 2011 I recall was relatively pollution free. Perhaps the big problem is outside of the province-at present!

Central govt. recently announced extra funding for attempts to reduce burning, could some of this this funding be used for a sort of /hot line (sorry) to name and shame local pyromaniacs and hotline where Thai's and foreigners could whistle blow on their neighbors and be rewarded with cash for doing so?

I am just back from a trip all over Thailand from Chiang Mai to Samui and through Chonburi back again. The only place I saw clean air was Samui. All over Thailand the air is crap. They've one of the blandest landscapes in the world andsome of the worst air pollution. The biggest joke of all is that as soon as there's a a green patch with some water falling off a cliff, they charge you 400 baht to see it. But that is another story!

you should trty Hua Hin loveeeeeeely

Air was bad there too. What a shit of a place. Both Cha Am and Hua Hin. Scammers awaiting you on that beach of no charm, charging outrageous prices. Traffic horrendous. I just can't imagine how they have got that place so busy. It is one of the greatest mysteries in my life why people travel 6000 miles across the globe and end up in Hua Hin when the paradise they are seeking out lies a few miles to the south. Samui and Phuket are also pretty well air pollution free, whilst Hua Hin is certainly not.

Edited by SPIKECM

This is why I chose a beach in Chanthaburi, the cleanest air I could find in Thailand.

Some expat asthmatics who like CM come down to Clao Loa Beach area for several months to avoid this problem.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Nothing new there my friend. The air in BKK has always been shitty and probably will always be so.

It's a shocker today. Two days ago was clear as a bell after a bit of rain. Worst I have seen in years.

Nah 2010 was the worst ... coulnd't see 1 kLM down the road on SM / Lamphunn road

Remember it well. As far down to Uttaradit the smog was pretty bad.

Thick smog forces northern flights’ suspension
By English News

13633433297489.jpg

MAE HONG SON, March 15 – Domestic flights were cancelled and motorists were especially cautious as thick smog blanketed this northernmost Thai province, local officials reported today.

Visibility for motorists was only five metres, and Nok Air flights between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son were suspended.

Officials at the Natural Resources and Environment Bureau in Mae Hong Son said dust particles at less than 10 microns in diametre were found at a density of 219 microgrammes/cubic metre in an average 24 hours – a phenomenon that hampers aviation service.

Mae Hong Son weather station chief Charan Techasueb warned motorists to be more cautious due to poor visibility, which was only five metres at 2pm today.

A forestry official said a satellite survey found 17 hot spots in Mae Hong Son and over 200 in neighbouring Myanmar adjacent to Mae Hong Son.

Hot spots contribute to the thick smoke. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-15

Thick smog forces northern flights’ suspension

By English News

13633433297489.jpg

MAE HONG SON, March 15 – Domestic flights were cancelled and motorists were especially cautious as thick smog blanketed this northernmost Thai province, local officials reported today.

Visibility for motorists was only five metres, and Nok Air flights between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son were suspended.

Officials at the Natural Resources and Environment Bureau in Mae Hong Son said dust particles at less than 10 microns in diametre were found at a density of 219 microgrammes/cubic metre in an average 24 hours – a phenomenon that hampers aviation service.

Mae Hong Son weather station chief Charan Techasueb warned motorists to be more cautious due to poor visibility, which was only five metres at 2pm today.

A forestry official said a satellite survey found 17 hot spots in Mae Hong Son and over 200 in neighbouring Myanmar adjacent to Mae Hong Son.

Hot spots contribute to the thick smoke. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-03-15

Then stop the freaking burning (in Thailand)!!!!! And stop the BS, I've seen the firemaps giggle.gif

Edited by MESmith

Thick smog forces northern flights’ suspensionBy English News13633433297489.jpgMAE HONG SON, March 15 – Domestic flights were cancelled and motorists were especially cautious as thick smog blanketed this northernmost Thai province, local officials reported today.Visibility for motorists was only five metres, and Nok Air flights between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son were suspended.Officials at the Natural Resources and Environment Bureau in Mae Hong Son said dust particles at less than 10 microns in diametre were found at a density of 219 microgrammes/cubic metre in an average 24 hours – a phenomenon that hampers aviation service.Mae Hong Son weather station chief Charan Techasueb warned motorists to be more cautious due to poor visibility, which was only five metres at 2pm today.A forestry official said a satellite survey found 17 hot spots in Mae Hong Son and over 200 in neighbouring Myanmar adjacent to Mae Hong Son.Hot spots contribute to the thick smoke. (MCOT online news)tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-03-15

Visibility 5 meters? Some vehicles are longer than that!

Can't be right?