Looking For A Coffee-Shop To Work Outside Of My Appartment

Maramook

In the afternoon, the Starbucks near where I'm staying right now is jammed with students doing their homework on their computers or just from books. They buy one small cup of coffee and sit there for several hours. The management has just changed all the furniture in the place, removing the tables that could seat four, and even most of those that seat two, replacing them with somewhat uncomfortable stools in an effort to stop people from sitting for three or four hours. I go in for lunch several times a week, eat a sandwich, have a drink, and read for a half hour. Talking with the staff, they are really in a quandry as to how to deal with the 'long users' situation. Franchise regulations stipulate that they can't place a time limit on customers.... One thing they are contemplating is removing the electrical sockets for recharging, but that will also cause problems for the business people who come in and work for a half hour while eating.

Timed wifi connection, you buy a coffee you get a voucher with an individual renewable password for 30 minutes wifi, if you want to continue using wifi keep buying coffee.

Yes, but then scabs start annoying other customers to go get a wi-fi code. How about you go rent an office or do what ever you do from home ?

That's the obvious solution but it doesn't meed the criteria set by the original poster. He wants the comraderie that he finds in coffee shops, while not paying for airconditioning, electricity, or rent. As has been shown in various publications, this is getting to be a serious problem with places that have created comfortable workspaces/ambiance as a setting to sell their wares. All too often people are just taking advantage of the dancing without paying the piper.

Seems to me fellowship and ambiance would be distractions from quality work.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next, the OP will be asking......"which of those have a free refill !!! ?"

Seems like the OP might be a member of the ever famous "How to Live in Thailand with Just 150 bths a Day" CLUB:)

150bht/day. That much!(does that include rent?)

for a bicycle?...oh absolutely!tongue.png

I fail to see what everyone is getting so worked up about. The OP said he would be buying coffee. People who said that he is taking advantage of their AC well HELLO, the AC would be on anyway it is just not put on for him. As another poster has pointed out having people in a business is good for attracting other people. The only time I would agree that it is a problem is if the coffe shop was constantly full and that is a rare occurance around here.

I know the people who run Mo'C Mo'L coffee shop and they are happy to have people come in and work or study. That is where most of their custom comes from and they are not stupid enough to turn away business like most of you on here seem to be.

On an aside does Chiang Mai forum have the most misearable posters on it or the other forums as bad. Is this what living long term in Chiang mai turns you into?

Edited by Throatwobbler
  • Like 2

The thing that needs to be considered is the 'time.' Obviously anyone purchasing goods in a store should be able to enjoy the ambiance of the place, be that the air/con, the music, free wi-fi, and the other folks there. If I buy a sandwich and a cup of ice tea at Starbucks, I don't think anyone, least of all the staff, think that my sitting and reading a book for an hour while eating my lunch is excessivly tying up a table. But if I were to buy a cup of coffee, then proceed to sit with it for the next 4-5 hours while I work... that should raise some eyebrows, especially if I were to do it every day.

I'd imagine that a shop keeper would have no objections to a customer buying another cup of coffee every hour while sitting there either. After all, that's why he's there. He's in business to sell goods, not provide comfort. The ambiance is there to make the paying customers more comfortable, not the other way around.

"But if I were to buy a cup of coffee, then proceed to sit with it for the next 4-5 hours while I work."

And I fail to see where in The OP's comment he said he would do that. Just the normal doom merchants assume that. And then they can start their favourite thing. Slagging people off.

If some one can show me where the OP said he wanted to buy one cup of coffee and then sit for 5 hours I will owe you an apology. If you can't then i think many people on here owe the OP an apology.

Actually, you are correct. What he really said was

>>

So I keep looking for a coffee-shop where I can work often in the Internet. So it has to have

- free WiFi

- sockets to keep my laptop charged and

- convenient tables: not too small, not from a glass.

From this, we assumed that 'work' meant 'work. Perhaps that was a foolish assumption. Perhaps he really meant 'play and hang out.'

... as in the short time folks spend checking e-mail or make a few posts on Facebook. When I hear the word 'work,' I think about the HOURS that MOST PEOPLE SPEND WORKING. He even mentions that his work is not only in the Internet, but some other WORK that requires a larger table. (I.E. a table that could in fact seat several paying customers at one time that he will use for spreading out his WORK.

I applaud your efforts to defend the OP. And it's true that the ThaiVisa people DO often slag off on people. Unfortunately, it's also true that many people justly deserve it.

That he'd be working for hours does not imply that he's a deadbeat. Some people drink a large amount of coffee while they work and there are a lot of coffee shops and cafes who will gladly accept their business.

Edited by AngelsLariat

>>

So I keep looking for a coffee-shop where I can work often in the Internet. So it has to have

- free WiFi

- convenient tables: not too small, not from a

glass.

From this, we assumed that 'work' meant 'work. Perhaps that was a foolish assumption. Perhaps he really meant 'play and hang out.'

... as in the short time folks spend checking e-mail or make a few posts on Facebook. When I hear the word 'work,' I think about the HOURS that MOST PEOPLE SPEND WORKING. He even mentions that his work is not only in the Internet, but some other WORK that requires a larger table. (I.E. a table that could in fact seat several paying customers at one time that he will use for spreading out his WORK.

I applaud your efforts to defend the OP. And it's true that the ThaiVisa people DO often slag off on people. Unfortunately, it's also true that many people justly deserve it.

That he'd be working for hours does not imply that he's a deadbeat. Some people drink a large amount of coffee while they work and there are a lot of coffee shops and cafes who will gladly accept their business.

I think that the key word here is "work". It carries a different meaning for different people ..... Some people call being awake, drinking coffee and talking as work..... and they do it for hours....

Personally I interpret someone doing serious work, would find it truly difficult doing it in an internet cafe. Considering internet working, I would think you would need an environment where you are able to concentrate and really think and analyze your work.... People coming, going , being people noisy and loud, maybe a short skirt distraction, does not fit that work environment , to me.

I would judge someone who required all this and wanted the a/c , free electric, free space to spread out, proper seating and table/desk facilites, as more of a person trying to create an image of himself rather than a serious worker. .... JMHO

>>

- free WiFi

glass.

That's very true too. And I'm sure that any and EVERY shop keeper would be more than happy to have that sort of customer. No question about it. I know that if I were a shop owner, I'd encourage that sort of customer with all sorts of enticements, not just free wi-fi and airconditioning. Having someone going from table to table to offer free neck and shoulder massages would be great!

It's also true that although I've been in quite a few different coffee shops, I've never seen anyone drinking large amounts of coffee while sitting there. In fact, I've never seen more than one single cup on the table of someone who has been sitting there for hours. Of course, most people do constantly clean up after themselves so I'm probably just not seeing the lineup of 'dead soldiers.' On the other hand, I wonder why there are now so many different magazine articles about coffee shop owners who are trying to figure out how to politely get rid of the deadbeats...

(I confess to, after finishing my sandwich and ice tea, to going back to the counter to purchase a cookie or scone, rather than buying it along with my meal, just to lengthing my reading time another 15 minutes. Oh, the shame...)

<

blockquote>

>>

- free WiFi

glass.

I think that the key word here is "work". It carries a different meaning for different people ..... Some people call being awake, drinking coffee and talking as work..... and they do it for hours....

Personally I interpret someone doing serious work, would find it truly difficult doing it in an internet cafe. Considering internet working, I would think you would need an environment where you are able to concentrate and really think and analyze your work.... People coming, going , being people noisy and loud, maybe a short skirt distraction, does not fit that work environment , to me.

I would judge someone who required all this and wanted the a/c , free electric, free space to spread out, proper seating and table/desk facilites, as more of a person trying to create an image of himself rather than a serious worker. .... JMHO

I think that's a very old-school view of what constitutes "work".

Yeah... wut he said! I mean, who ever said 'work' had to mean that you actually paid attention to what you were doing? Or really concentrating on the results? Since when did 'thinking' or 'analyizing' play such a big role in working? Come on! Get real! This is the 21st Century! Very old-school indeed. cheesy.gif

Has the world really gotten to this point? rolleyes.gif

where is a good place for working?

Immigration office?

Thinking of immigration, wonder how long it will be before they realise these co-working spaces are an easy target to shake down farangs who are working illegally running some business online whilst here on a tourist visa.......biggrin.png

a lot are here in CNX playing online poker.

I laugh everytime they call playing poker (grinding) work.

No one has mentioned just going to an Internet cafe for 20-30 baht per hour.

Edited by KRS1

Yeah... wut he said! I mean, who ever said 'work' had to mean that you actually paid attention to what you were doing? Or really concentrating on the results? Since when did 'thinking' or 'analyizing' play such a big role in working? Come on! Get real! This is the 21st Century! Very old-school indeed. cheesy.gif

Has the world really gotten to this point? rolleyes.gif

Don't know about that, but it has gotten to the point that there are honest ways to earn a living other than however it was that you made your first million.

After an hour we throttle down your bandwidth and after a few hours your internet will crawl.

That would be one way to handle it. Another way to handle it would be as some Wawee coffee shops do, whenever you buy something there's an internet password printed on your receipt that expires after an hour. That works well enough for me that I don't get kicked out. And I suspect that Wawee is getting enough revenue out of me that I'm no more of a burden to them than their customers that come in for only one cup and then go away. Edited by AngelsLariat

I sort of like the 'McDonald's Approach.' They spent a few mil on research and figured out a way to make a seat that was comfortable, but only for about 20-30 minutes. Then, no matter how you shift around, you just can't get comfortable enough to stay longer.

An approach that most of the 'izakaya' (Japanese pubs with small dishes of foods, rather like Tapas style, where you just keep ordering more little plates as you drink and chat) use in Japan is 'time limit.' After two hours, you are asked to finish your drinks and leave. No one seems to object to this, and the group will move on to either another izakaya or a karaoke bar. As a westerner, I found it rather odd, as we were all still eating and drinking, yet still had to move on, but none of my Japanese friends found it so. They said this was the norm. I guess they figure that after two hours, there is a slow-down in the orders. I'm not much of a drinker so I hadn't experienced this before, but if one culture can deal with it without complaint, perhaps so can others.

Seems like the OP might be a member of the ever famous "How to Live in Thailand with Just 150 bths a Day" CLUB:)

Does the OP have a work permit?
Oh, sorry. You mean the 150bht/day is his tax bill, not his expense account bill?

Perhaps the OP could open his own coffee shop. It could be very close to his residence, have electricity at every table, very comfortable chairs, free high speed internet, and free coffee. I'm sure it would be popular and appreciated.

• Like 1

Perhaps the OP could open his own coffee shop. It could be very close to his residence, have electricity at every table, very comfortable chairs, free high speed internet, and free coffee. I'm sure it would be popular and appreciated.

and it would attract people like himself.

• Like 2

Seems like the OP might be a member of the ever famous "How to Live in Thailand with Just 150 bths a Day" CLUBsmile.png

I don't know. You better ask him.

After an hour we throttle down your bandwidth and after a few hours your internet will crawl.

That would be one way to handle it. Another way to handle it would be as some Wawee coffee shops do, whenever you buy something there's an internet password printed on your receipt that expires after an hour. That works well enough for me that I don't get kicked out. And I suspect that Wawee is getting enough revenue out of me that I'm no more of a burden to them than their customers that come in for only one cup and then go away.

I'm using 3bb when I'm there. So I have no internet time limit.

Seems like the OP might be a member of the ever famous "How to Live in Thailand with Just 150 bths a Day" CLUBsmile.png

I don't know. You better ask him.

him?...you bf?

ooh I thought u r a dudewink.png

I think what most people are missing here is that a lot of coffee shops are set up for the type of person the OP is. That is why they have the free wifi and comfy chairs etc. They are looking for people to come in and work or study. They want the kind of customer that everyone on here is berating. This is the type of person that uses my friends coffee shop and they are doing very well.

I think what most people are missing here is that a lot of coffee shops are set up for the type of person the OP is. That is why they have the free wifi and comfy chairs etc. They are looking for people to come in and work or study. They want the kind of customer that everyone on here is berating. This is the type of person that uses my friends coffee shop and they are doing very well.

Silly me, I thought any business was looking to make money = profit. Not to provide a comfy place for people to work. Oh well ..... if your friend is happy to sell a coffee every hour or 2 then so be it.

Silly me, I thought any business was looking to make money = profit. Not to provide a comfy place for people to work. Oh well ..... if your friend is happy to sell a coffee every hour or 2 then so be it.

My friend does very well so yes, silly you. I see you totally missed the point I was trying to make though.

You will notice there was no mention of the price of coffee or how long they could sit there. Some how I don't think his friend set it up at cheap prices if as all he wants is people to come in and use his comfy chairs and big tables free wifi with one cup of coffee all day.

Then again his friend may have already joined the long list of out of business coffee shops due to lots of customers but no sales.

I think one option may be to have your music system constantly and continously play alternating religious music. One day it could be Buddhist chanting all day, the next the top played of Islam, the next protestant hymns. If it didn't work at least the customers would have something to subliminly be humming on the streets

But watch out foir the music police.