Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Honda Cb 500 X

anto

I was reading another forum and I guy said he saw all three models of these bikes in a dealer in Phuket,is Phuket big wing open yet?I haven't heard or read anything of it being open yet.

Yes it is opened. By the way, did anyone send their bike to Phuket big wing for any maintenance or repair? Want to know the skills of the mechanics there.

hi there! i would like to inform you that i have test riden the 2013 cbr500r and also cbr500x at the honda big wing dealer in bkk ram intra district. while riding it gentle i felt it was a pretty good bike for the money. i then took both the bikes for a 2nd ride and this time i revved as much as i could on the short little test track they offered me to ride it.

//////and this is the important part!

way long time before the redline the ecu shuts the engine to idle! like if u revved up and then hold in the clutch.

i found this out by accelerating fast as i could and then swith to 2nd gear and the bike was stuttering like i kept the clutch in for atleast 1 full second.

the salesman first told me that it might be that its not enough gas in the tank and its gonna be allright when i ride it with more gas.

ofcourse i was very suspicious about this and after all we are in thailand and you cant really trust any salesman down here.

so i went straight to check how much gas was in the tank and it was indeed on low blinking and i also checked the cbr500r gas indicator. this test i found it out during testing the cbr500x (touring off road version) . the cbr500r seemed to had a little bit more gas in it.

how ever i managed to talked the info out of the salesman and he told me hondas cbr500 series bikes are programmed to shut off engine response at 9000 rpm!! .

he said that honda decieded to do this cause of costumers driving the shit out of the engines and claiming it within the 1st engine warranty year.

please keep this in mind if you consider buying the 2013 cbr500 series.

I have read this so many times here on Thai Visa and it's completely NOT TRUE!!! I own a CBR500r, the redline is not 9000RPM, it's around 8500RPM (RPM redline clearly visible on the digital tach) and the limiter doesn't kick in until you hit around 9300-9500 RPM AND it's doesn't kick the bike to idle. It acts like every other RPM limiter, kicks in and as soon as the bikes goes below redline it starts running again. I have no idea where you guys get this information, it's almost starting to sound as if your trying to influence sales of the bike by providing bad information as it reads very emotionally.

You don't like the bike fine, stop telling lies and go buy something else. You want more revs and a little more power get a Kawasaki 650 and let those good vibrations role. The Kawasaki 650's vibrate a whole lot more than the Honda 500's, then again they should, bigger twin engine. Yes I have owned several 650's in the past and to me the Honda 500 in whatever flavor is a better riding bike especially in town or traffic, much easy to maneuver, very clean idle, lighter feel, but in the end to each their own. Is the bike slower than a Kawasaki 650, YES!!! It's over 150cc smaller engine so it should be but honestly it has plenty of power unless your some speed racer in which case the 650 would be considered slow...

I could not have said it better myself. If you don't like a bike, don't buy it, very simple really.

Anyway a good weekend to all of you.

hi there! i would like to inform you that i have test riden the 2013 cbr500r and also cbr500x at the honda big wing dealer in bkk ram intra district. while riding it gentle i felt it was a pretty good bike for the money. i then took both the bikes for a 2nd ride and this time i revved as much as i could on the short little test track they offered me to ride it.

//////and this is the important part!

way long time before the redline the ecu shuts the engine to idle! like if u revved up and then hold in the clutch.

i found this out by accelerating fast as i could and then swith to 2nd gear and the bike was stuttering like i kept the clutch in for atleast 1 full second.

the salesman first told me that it might be that its not enough gas in the tank and its gonna be allright when i ride it with more gas.

ofcourse i was very suspicious about this and after all we are in thailand and you cant really trust any salesman down here.

so i went straight to check how much gas was in the tank and it was indeed on low blinking and i also checked the cbr500r gas indicator. this test i found it out during testing the cbr500x (touring off road version) . the cbr500r seemed to had a little bit more gas in it.

how ever i managed to talked the info out of the salesman and he told me hondas cbr500 series bikes are programmed to shut off engine response at 9000 rpm!! .

he said that honda decieded to do this cause of costumers driving the shit out of the engines and claiming it within the 1st engine warranty year.

please keep this in mind if you consider buying the 2013 cbr500 series.

I have read this so many times here on Thai Visa and it's completely NOT TRUE!!! I own a CBR500r, the redline is not 9000RPM, it's around 8500RPM (RPM redline clearly visible on the digital tach) and the limiter doesn't kick in until you hit around 9300-9500 RPM AND it's doesn't kick the bike to idle. It acts like every other RPM limiter, kicks in and as soon as the bikes goes below redline it starts running again. I have no idea where you guys get this information, it's almost starting to sound as if your trying to influence sales of the bike by providing bad information as it reads very emotionally.

You don't like the bike fine, stop telling lies and go buy something else. You want more revs and a little more power get a Kawasaki 650 and let those good vibrations role. The Kawasaki 650's vibrate a whole lot more than the Honda 500's, then again they should, bigger twin engine. Yes I have owned several 650's in the past and to me the Honda 500 in whatever flavor is a better riding bike especially in town or traffic, much easy to maneuver, very clean idle, lighter feel, but in the end to each their own. Is the bike slower than a Kawasaki 650, YES!!! It's over 150cc smaller engine so it should be but honestly it has plenty of power unless your some speed racer in which case the 650 would be considered slow...

Im the op of that thread. And as the op I would like to inform you all that its no lies! But I test runned it with low gas indicator flashing wich I think was the reason for the short idle of the engine.

At the date of today I own the cbr 500r and I'm very much happy with the bike. I already put out over 1500k on the clock. And new synthetic hondas G3 engine oil and new oil filter. Have to say I notice no difference after the oil change though.

Didn't do the valve clearance check yet as I got 1 month in que for service appointment.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i rode one too.

It is a very comfy bike and super light.

Handles well like a small bike but has a lot of power from 1500 rpm to up.

I was liking cb500f and but after i drive cb500x, i prefer to ride cb500x.

matte black looks cool too.

can recommend it everyone up north especially.

Thai friend of mine has a CB500x, very good riding bike, very comfortable and great riding position. Honestly, my personal feelings here is it's better than the 650 Versys in some ways because it is lighter (feels lighter) and it's so easy to handle. Versys, I owned one a while back, is a great bike but it is very high and feels very heavy making driving it in city traffic a real pain, at least it was for me. I think the Versys might be more comfortable, better suspension, it cruises really well on the open road during long haul rides but can't really say for sure because I have never driven a CB500x for hours at a time on the highway.

Edited by commande

I hope you changed your OIL before 600 KM. dont wait till 1000KM because it will wear off the engine with micro metal pieces.

also, did you do a nice break-in at the first 100KM?

here is the info for anyone with a 0KM bike: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

The link doesn't seem to work - I get a 404 error message. And I do agree with super careful break in for first 100 ( or more) kms ie constant changes of speed/revs and only low revs, light load on engine. Then oil change. Gradually add on more revs but still less than 6000 until about 600 km. Then start giving it brief bursts above 6000 until 1,000 km oil change. Now I can ride it!

Maybe seem like overkill to some, but I want a loooong life from my bikes.

Your bike was broken in in the first 100 klms. Just bed the rings into the bore by keeping as much pressure in the combustion chamber as you can ie: power on and off as much as possible, no steady throttle. Change the oil and its done. Modern machining processes don't require long bedding in of mechanical parts.

• Like 1

The bikes were actually developed for Europe and it's new licencing laws. Thailand sales or Kawasaki aren't a factor in the design of the bike.

So you are saying that it's a coincidence that the faired CBR500R, the naked CBR500F and the "adventure" CB500X are representing the same style as the faired Ninja650R, the naked En6R and the "adventure" Versys?

No coincidence at all imho opinion.

What Honda have done is develop an engine that meets existing licensing laws and have dropped it into three chassis that copy those popular in the Kwak lineup.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got one a few days ago in Chiang Mai. I went for the black. Not run in yet as haven't had time, but I do like the ergonomics and the torque from low-ish revs. Also love the standard tyres - Pirelli Scorpions. I had them before on a KLR650, and they were great road tyres. I don't know about the claimed use off road - the tread is not designed for it. Maybe the 90/10 that Pirelli claim is 10 for rough roads. If so, perfect for Thailand. And I would like to get some frame sliders for it - anyone know where I can get some? And fit to where exactly - the guy at BigWing wouldn't offer a suggestion. The front engine mounting bolts look like the best option. (I know they don't really help with a big slide, but are great for a driveway drop with all of that plastic to worry about).

man, write your impression sometime, i am also pretty much impressed with cb500x, easy, light, hassle free ride, a great urban and inter province tourer and it looks good to.

I talked with Thai owners at Bigwing and all praised the bike like how comfy, light and easy to drive it is and has enough power to go anywhere in Thailand they say some even did some mild trails without any problems.

And they say more suspension travel makes a big difference on bumps etc.

I dont know how some people are saying the 500X is light and easy to drive.

The handlebars are much higher up and the seat is higher and wider. Entire bike feels really top heavy.

Having been up and around both the Versys and the 500X today, sorry to say but the Versys looks like a rugged bike, the 500X looks like a little plastic toy.

imho - the Versys looks like a condo strapped onto a pair of wheels...

the Versys has been hit hard with the ugly stick

Sure the Versys isn't a beautiful bike....

But do people buy this sort of bike primarily for looks?

The quality difference in everthing from the swingarm to the frame to the plastics to the forks to the bars, well, to everything is amazing when looking over them while side by side.

Personally I find the 500 series a little disappointing, especially the CBX, from what they could have been.

Edited by Salapoo

Well if the Versys and 500x were the same price I guess Honda owners would be in short supply but then again it's over 100k cheaper isn't it?

• Like 2

Well if the Versys and 500x were the same price I guess Honda owners would be in short supply but then again it's over 100k cheaper isn't it?

Absolutely.

If the primary factor is cheapness, then there's a clear winner.

• Like 1

The handlebars are much higher up and the seat is higher and wider. Entire bike feels really top heavy.

Ergonomics do have a subjective dimension, so the X will not suit everybody. It is more top heavy than my CBR250 or CB1-400, but still the X is sooo easy to ride - like sitting in an armchair and thinking the bike to do what I want. Compared to a 650 Ninja (which I have ridden a bit) it is a lighter and much more maneuverable bike. Easy to chuck around and do quick changes of line. The controls similarly feel better on the Honda (maybe because I am lazy and prefer light controls), and the ABS system is wonderful - no pulsing through the pedal, almost invisible (unlike the Kwaka ABS system). I cant compare to Versys, as I haven't ridden one yet.

Of course X is not as light as the CBR 250, although it has a similar feel. I much prefer the upright position on the X, and even like the wider seat - had a few 6 hour rides and at the end of the day no sore bum. I would like to know how the X seat compares to the 2 piece R and F seats, as I only drove the R up and down a lane, so have had no time with one. And the lower bars on R & F do reduce centre of gravity, but I think the same rider could do a lap of near equal time on any of the 500s.

Having a few more kms with the X now, I think it is near perfect for Thailand. The front end soaks up <deleted> roads of which there are a few, it has enough power to leave 99% of tin cans behind, filters through traffic like my scooter (the upright riding position is great for this), and you only need to fill the tank every leap year or so. The only bike I would prefer for riding here is the baby BMW650 - but the price difference is way too much for the advantages of the BMW, and lack of parts would be a nightmare. So, I'm quite happy with the X for now - except for the BigWing service, but that's another story....

Ergonomics do have a subjective dimension, so the X will not suit everybody. It is more top heavy than my CBR250 or CB1-400, but still the X is sooo easy to ride - like sitting in an armchair and thinking the bike to do what I want. Compared to a 650 Ninja (which I have ridden a bit) it is a lighter and much more maneuverable bike. Easy to chuck around and do quick changes of line. The controls similarly feel better on the Honda (maybe because I am lazy and prefer light controls), and the ABS system is wonderful - no pulsing through the pedal, almost invisible (unlike the Kwaka ABS system). I cant compare to Versys, as I haven't ridden one yet.

Of course X is not as light as the CBR 250,although it has a similar feel. I much prefer the upright position on the X, and even like the wider seat - had a few 6 hour rides and at the end of the day no sore bum. I would like to know how the X seat compares to the 2 piece R and F seats, as I only drove the R up and down a lane, so have had no time with one. And the lower bars on R & F do reduce centre of gravity, but I think the same rider could do a lap of near equal time on any of the 500s.

Having a few more kms with the X now, I think it is near perfect for Thailand. The front end soaks up <deleted> roads of which there are a few, it has enough power to leave 99% of tin cans behind, filters through traffic like my scooter (the upright riding position is great for this), and you only need to fill the tank every leap year or so. The only bike I would prefer for riding here is the baby BMW650 - but the price difference is way too much for the advantages of the BMW, and lack of parts would be a nightmare. So, I'm quite happy with the X for now - except for the BigWing service, but that's another story....

You must be a Canadian giant, Im 5'-8" and the X feels all wrong to me. The CBR 500 though, feels like we should be together and live happily ever after.

You been to Thailand? I thought you lived in Canada.

It's a pity so many riders choose bikes on cheapness, instead of the actual bike.

you are absolutely right, tomorrow i will order a Panigale

Good lad.

Kit it out with the Versys shocks and forks and you've got a good allrounder.