Saudi Arabia Executes 7 Men By Firing Squad

News_Editor

<p> Saudi Arabia executes 7 men by firing squad </p>< br />

<p>2013-03-15 01:33:26 GMT+7 (ICT) </p><br /> <p>RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA (BNO NEWS) -- Seven Saudi men were executed Wednesday after being convicted of carrying out an armed robbery and breaking into jewellery stores, the country's interior ministry said. The executions were carried out by firing squad, not beheading as is customary.<br /></p><br /><p>A statement from the Saudi Interior Ministry said the executions took place in Abha, the capital of southern Asir province, on early Wednesday morning. Witnesses said the executions happened at a public square and were carried out by firing squad, just days after local news reports suggested that authorities were considering to move away from the customary beheadings.<br /></p><br /><p>The group of men, who were all in their early 20s when they were executed on Wednesday, were arrested in 2006 and charged with organizing a criminal group, armed robbery and raiding and breaking into jewellery stores in 2005. They were sentenced to death by a court in Abha in August 2009.<br /></p><br /><p>Philip Luther, Middle East and North Africa Director at Amnesty International, said the men had previously claimed they were tortured or otherwise ill-treated while held in custody and forced to confess. They also claimed their relatives were threatened with torture if they withdrew their confessions.<br /></p><br /><p>"We oppose the death penalty in all circumstances, but this case has been particularly shocking," Luther said. "It is a bloody day when a government executes seven people on the grounds of 'confessions' obtained under torture, submitted at a trial where they had no legal representation or recourse to appeal."<br /></p><br /><p>The executions took place despite an urgent appeal from the United Nations (UN) to the Saudi government just hours earlier, expressing concern about the trials. It is believed the defendants only made made brief appearances before court and were not allowed to speak or give adequate opportunities to conduct their defense. The defendants also said they were not allowed to attend any of the appeal stages and had no defense counsel representing them.<br /></p><br /><p>"These serious failings in the process, if confirmed, would constitute violations of international safeguards in the use of death penalty, especially those related to the right to a fair trial and the right to appeal," UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said on Thursday. <br /></p><br /><p>It is believed at least two of those executed were juveniles at the time of the alleged crime, raising further concern. "These executions are yet another example of Saudi Arabia's complete disregard of international human rights standards," said Eric Goldstein, deputy Middle East director at Human Rights Watch. "Saudi authorities need to uphold their human rights obligations and cease these horrifying executions of juvenile offenders."<br /></p><br /><p>Saudi authorities had initially scheduled the executions for March 5, but they were postponed earlier this year after an international outcry over the circumstances of the case. The government had said the royal court would review the allegations of the defendants, but it is unclear if such a probe took place or what the outcome was.<br /></p><br /><p>In January 2012, the United Nations (UN) expressed alarm over Saudi Arabia's increasing use of capital punishment. At least 82 people were executed in Saudi Arabia in 2011 and 76 people were executed in 2012, a significant increase from the 27 executions reported in 2010. The actual figure is believed to be much higher.<br /></p><br /><p>At least 24 people have been executed in Saudi Arabia so far this year. The kingdom applies the death penalty for a large number of crimes, including drug offences, apostasy, sorcery and witchcraft. Both witchcraft and sorcery are not defined as crimes in Saudi Arabia, but human rights organizations say such charges have previously been used to prosecute people for exercising their right to freedom of speech or religion.<br /></p> <p> tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2013-03-15 </p>

A friend of mine worked in Saudi Arabia several years ago. Shortly after his arrival his Saudi "friends" took him down to Chop-Chop Square and made sure he was in the front row. A woman was being executed for adultery, or something like that, and was stoned to death. A phrase he used "teeth flying everywhere" still sticks in my mind.

Saudi Arabia needs to move out of the 11th century and into the 21st.

• Like 2

"The kingdom applies the death penalty for a large number of crimes, including drug offences, apostasy, sorcery and witchcraft"

No wonder no one wants to leave " The religion of Peace" ! They all scared to do so, better comply and live !

If the Catholic Church did that the chuches would be full also today ...

• Like 1

<snip>

No wonder no one wants to leave " The religion of Peace" ! They all scared to do so, better comply and live !

If the Catholic Church did that the chuches would be full also today ...

The graveyards would also be full.

A friend of mine worked in Saudi Arabia several years ago. Shortly after his arrival his Saudi "friends" took him down to Chop-Chop Square and made sure he was in the front row. A woman was being executed for adultery, or something like that, and was stoned to death. A phrase he used "teeth flying everywhere" still sticks in my mind.

your friend is a liar. no woman was stoned in Saudi Arabia since King Faisal took over in 1964. Faisal issued a royal decree that any death sentence on a woman is carried out by decapitation. an exception was the execution of princess Mashaal bint Fahd who was shot in public in 1977 even though she was sentenced, based on Sharia law, to be stoned because she committed adultery. i was there and saw it!

A quick google confirms that you are correct. Well, you meet all kinds of characters here in Thailand!

Although I was wrong about the method of execution used, I still say that indiscriminate use of the Death Penalty is simply unacceptable nowadays.

your friend is a liar. no woman was stoned in Saudi Arabia since King Faisal took over in 1964. Faisal issued a royal decree that any death sentence on a woman is carried out by decapitation. an exception was the execution of princess Mashaal bint Fahd who was shot in public in 1977 even though she was sentenced, based on Sharia law, to be stoned because she committed adultery. i was there and saw it!

A quick google confirms that you are correct. Well, you meet all kinds of characters here in Thailand!

Although I was wrong about the method of execution used, I still say that indiscriminate use of the Death Penalty is simply unacceptable nowadays.

The law in Saudi Arabia is hardly "indiscriminate". It is reserved for specific types of crimes and used only after all appeals have been satisfied.

The old saying goes..."If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

• Like 1

The law in Saudi Arabia is hardly "indiscriminate". It is reserved for specific types of crimes and used only after all appeals have been satisfied.

But isn't that the whole point of the concern? They didn't get an appeal, they didn't have legal rep.
  • Like 2

I guess that makes it alright then, I'm referring to the execution being public, not whether or not capital punishment should be allowed.

P.S Popcorn or Nachos?

I guess that makes it alright then, I'm referring to the execution being public, not whether or not capital punishment should be allowed.

P.S Popcorn or Nachos?

Whilst I personally disagree with the death penalty some nations which actually still carry out executions will use the argument that a potential sentence of death acts as a deterrent. Using that logic, though statistically flawed, one could argue that public execution should act as an even greater deterrent.

who are we to judge the laws of any country than those of our home country? i agree that the indiscriminate use of the death penalty is outdated. but what is the definition of "indiscriminate"? is it indiscriminate or outdated if punishments are handed out according to prevailing laws?

in my home country Germany i can be fined if i mow my lawn on a sunday and i can go to jail if wear any Nazi insignia or greet my neighbour with the right hand raised saying "Sieg Heil!" indiscrimate, outdated and unacceptable punishment? no, not for me, because i know that's the law. but it seems indiscriminate, outdated and unacceptable for my Thai neighbour who will also think that death sentences in China for corrupt government officials are outdated.

• Like 1

At least the death penalty stops THAT offender from re offending. So yes it does reduce crime.

during my time in Saudi Arabia (1975-1981) we neither locked a car nor a house. having cash in a desk drawer value 50,000 dollars or more was the done thing. the money changers in the souq drew a fishnet in front of their booths and went for prayers whilst those who passed by could look at unprotected cash and gold bars worth hundreds of thousands. the first bank robbery occurred in 1980 or 1981. they caught the Thai bank robbers after a couple of days. but things have changed now a little, i know!

dry.png

A death sentence for armed robbery ? Jeez that's a bit harsh. sick.gif

Yeah. First offence.

No chance of them re offending is there.

Well done Saudi way to go.

If the guy knew it was the penalty for robbery

and the numb-nut went ahead with it anyway

He probably wasn't long for this planet.

Harsh, yep, but it wasnt a secret.

The dude knew, or should have known, what he was getting into.

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 2

The law is pretty clear but same as in Thailand, Saudi is getting more corrupt by the day and if you have enough wasta you're above the law basically.

NO they don't need to , they have oil and are rich so other nations will let them do whatever they like. We all know that they have a shocking human rights record, but just watch any western govt official literally "bowing and scraping" to any Saudi official or member of the Royal family.

Edited by oldsailor35

Taking the head off seems a little extreme. For armed robbery, they should simply remove the arm.

I doubt very much whether criminals think about the consequences. Most of them have no plan to get caught.

Edited by Credo
  • Like 2

Personally I think it's sad that they moved away from their traditions in this instance. I think this was someone's idea of a Public Relations stunt. They should just continue to do their thing.

Presumably you feel the same about Western nations preserving their own traditions and cultural identity.

• Like 1

What do you expect from Muslim mentality?

who are we to judge the laws of any country than those of our home country? i agree that the indiscriminate use of the death penalty is outdated. but what is the definition of "indiscriminate"? is it indiscriminate or outdated if punishments are handed out according to prevailing laws?

in my home country Germany i can be fined if i mow my lawn on a sunday and i can go to jail if wear any Nazi insignia or greet my neighbour with the right hand raised saying "Sieg Heil!" indiscrimate, outdated and unacceptable punishment? no, not for me, because i know that's the law. but it seems indiscriminate, outdated and unacceptable for my Thai neighbour who will also think that death sentences in China for corrupt government officials are outdated.

Just because a thing is law does not mean that it is right, that applies to any country.

• Like 1