Yingluck's Govt Faces Three Key Challenges

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Yingluck's govt faces three key challenges

Avudh Panananda
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is encountering political turbulence which can lead to drastic changes for her as well as her government.

How three variables will pan out in the next few months is very critical to how well Yingluck can emerge from the disturbances coming her way.

The first variable is her brother Thaksin. The second is the amnesty issue. And the third is the legislative bill for the Bt2.2 trillion loan.

Of the three, Thaksin is most crucial in determining the fate of his sister.

Make no mistake, the two remain as tight as ever. Yingluck would hardly miss a day without calling her brother.

For more than a year, Thaksin chose to play second fiddle in a bid to dispel suspicion that Yingluck was his puppet.

But in coming weeks, he will start putting himself at centre stage.

Although there is no rift between the sigblings, Thaksin has been very disappointed with Yingluck's failure to secure Pheu Thai's victory in Bangkok.

Her aides, particularly Phutham Wechayachai and Suranand Vejjajiva, are working overtime to engineer a re-vote. But even if they succeed, all signs still point to Democrat Sukhumbhand Paribatra emerging as winner again.

In Yingluck's view, the re-vote, if held and regardless of outcome, might help mollify Thaksin.

Yingluck and her top aides are well aware that the government would be on a downward spiral once Thaksin refuses to stay on the sidelines.

In his two Skype messages to Pheu Thai this week, Thaksin talked about a wide range of issues. But party insiders knew that his true intent was to revamp the Cabinet. This is why Suranand has been very vocal in dismissing speculation about the Cabinet line-up.

It is an open secret that Thaksin is unhappy with several ministers. If he dictates the Cabinet reshuffle at this juncture, the prime minister would be seen downgraded from puppet with a say to a mute one.

Yingluck is expected to turn on her sisterly charms in order to convince her brother to end his megaphone politicking within Pheu Thai. If she fails, then her leadership might fast disintegrate.

The amnesty issue is another variable that could be catastrophic. Yingluck wants no involvement in debating the amnesty, insisting that the issue should be settled by the legislature.

But two disturbances - a legislative move to push for legal absolution and Thaksin's move to tilt toward the reds at the government's expense - threaten to send her leadership into a tailspin.

This has already stirred up confusion among Pheu Thai ranks and if it continues, legislative deliberations on two issues - amnesty and the Bt2.2 trillion loan - might converge to form a perfect storm beating on the government.

For the third variable, the passage of the Bt2.2 trillion bill will hinge on the unity within Pheu Thai. Isaan MPs are expected to play a crucial role in the success or failure of the bill.

At this juncture, Yingluck still has the upper hand to ensure the legislative passage. But she should not relax her guard as certain MPs from her party appear to strike a different chord from that of the government's.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-15

Only in Thailand. A country being run by a convicted bail jumping criminal on the run. PTP is not a party, it is a bunch of mindless morons being told what to do by one narcissistic megalomanic. Is there no way other than a coup to remove these fools before they break Thailand?

The same man the people voted for knowing who he was?? The same woman the people voted for knowing who she was??

In Thailand all that matters is money, these people get away with what they do because they simply promise those that are not smart enough to see the truth money to vote for them. The ones voting for this mob are not concerned with the state of the country only their bank accounts/hip pocket, until the bribes are stopped this country will be a backwater. What amazes me even more is how the ptp can associate with thaksin and have nothing done about conspiring with a criminal brought against them, just goes to show how toothless thai courts are, all you need do is pay everyone enough money and you are untouchable and can do as you please.

• Like 2

To address the OP Headline is see the 3 key challenges as:

1. Honesty

2. Accountability

3. Integrity

The odds of addressing these are................Buckleys and truck all.

Edited by Fozfromoz

Only in Thailand. A country being run by a convicted bail jumping criminal on the run. PTP is not a party, it is a bunch of mindless morons being told what to do by one narcissistic megalomanic. Is there no way other than a coup to remove these fools before they break Thailand?

The same man the people voted for knowing who he was?? The same woman the people voted for knowing who she was??

And they deserve everything they get. Som num na. Just a pity we as expats living here have to bear the brunt of idiocy as well and share the 'experience'.

I am curious, how do you share the experience? How do you bear the brunt. You can't vote here you are an outsider just like me! Do you live in BKK that it effects you?

Thai politics is a joke I agree, but It doesn't effect me, and I don't experience it. But hen I life up country away from the madness of the cities.

No that isn't true: Indonesia, Philippines, Egypt, Turkey, Usbekistan, many of the African countries etc etc are or were in similar situations. Of course not exactly the same but similar or worse effect on the people.

That about sums it up. Like many others I'm in Isan and there is nothing that will convince them that Thaksin is anything less than the second coming, Buddhist version of course but it's sad to watch how they believe every lie that comes from him and his sycophantic cronies and boy does he know how to use it

• Like 1

That about sums it up. Like many others I'm in Isan and there is nothing that will convince them that Thaksin is anything less than the second coming, Buddhist version of course but it's sad to watch how they believe every lie that comes from him and his sycophantic cronies and boy does he know how to use it

Not everyone in Isaan by any stretch of the imagination believes all the hype and lies. There are many educated people who are are not so stupid. Yes they'll pocket all the handouts and then vote for someone else.

Not everyone in Isaan by any stretch of the imagination believes all the hype and lies. There are many educated people who are are not so stupid. Yes they'll pocket all the handouts and then vote for someone else.

Yes not everyone. My teacher friends in Isaan lothe Thaksin, the reds and the PTP.

Edited by Pimay1

In Thailand all that matters is money, these people get away with what they do because they simply promise those that are not smart enough to see the truth money to vote for them. The ones voting for this mob are not concerned with the state of the country only their bank accounts/hip pocket, until the bribes are stopped this country will be a backwater. What amazes me even more is how the ptp can associate with thaksin and have nothing done about conspiring with a criminal brought against them, just goes to show how toothless thai courts are, all you need do is pay everyone enough money and you are untouchable and can do as you please.

So if the Thai courts are so toothless why is Thaksin not residing in Thailand at this moment?

Though it could be surmised that Thai courts are influenced by money (Sondhi, the Leaders of the 2006 Coup, the Ferrari driver, the messaging hiso girly underage uninsured driver, the dem MP charged with pre meditated murder etc etc) but it could never be said that that is the case.

So what was your point again?

People voted for the nazis; people voted for George Bush, people buy tonnes of Justin Beiber and One Direction records. People here have voted for a party that looks after one man, for his ego and power. What does this tell you? The majority of people are thick!

In your humble opinion,one supposes?

And they deserve everything they get. Som num na. Just a pity we as expats living here have to bear the brunt of idiocy as well and share the 'experience'.

I am curious, how do you share the experience? How do you bear the brunt. You can't vote here you are an outsider just like me! Do you live in BKK that it effects you?

Thai politics is a joke I agree, but It doesn't effect me, and I don't experience it. But hen I life up country away from the madness of the cities.

When my cost of business increases and my cost of living also due directly to the policies of the Govt I would say it does affect me, and greatly so, thus I am 'sharing' the experience. Thus I am sharing what is happening to the 'voters' as well. I have had to fire some staff not because of the minimum wage - I was paying well over that - but because the politics killed a lot of my work (all international coming to Thailand), I also pay 8 Baht more for fuel now per litre as Unleaded 91 is no longer supplied and have to buy 95 unleaded (way more expensive) - that means and extra 560 Baht a week in my furl costs. My 5kgs bag of rice that was 148 Baht - same brand - is now 224 Baht, which also means Thai's are having the same issue, just as an example. I hope this explains it somewhat for you.

Edited by Locationthailand
  • Like 1

So if the Thai courts are so toothless why is Thaksin not residing in Thailand at this moment?

Though it could be surmised that Thai courts are influenced by money (Sondhi, the Leaders of the 2006 Coup, the Ferrari driver, the messaging hiso girly underage uninsured driver, the dem MP charged with pre meditated murder etc etc) but it could never be said that that is the case.

What is your point?

Influenced by money...are you talking about the DSI?

Yingluck is not running the government - which has been proven over and over again. Thaksin is not pleased with the Amnesty progress, the performance of several ministers or the BKK governor election result. Expect a BKK re-election, a cabinet shuffle and more aggressive progress on the Amnesty bill. It seems governing by Skype is not so easy and therefore the need to get back and be in the driving seat physically becomes more important. Elect a government based on nepotism, cronyism, corruption, run by an absent fugitive convicted criminal and this is what you get. But, hey, no one seems all that bothered.

• Like 1

Obviously it's not PM Yingluck's fault, it's not Pheu Thai party's fault, it's not St. thaksin the Just fault. Therefor it surely must be the fault of k. Abhisit.

Thailand, a democracy as many in the West would like to have it

People voted for the nazis; people voted for George Bush, people buy tonnes of Justin Beiber and One Direction records. People here have voted for a party that looks after one man, for his ego and power. What does this tell you? The majority of people are thick!

In your humble opinion,one supposes?

Yes of course it is. It's a forum for opinions. But you would have to be pretty thick to believe Thaksin was doing all of this for the good of the people and not for himself.

• Like 1

I don't think that the Thai courts are toothless. Some of the top courts - such as the CC & Admin courts are doing their best to prevent moves to dictatorship. No doubt some criminal courts are susceptible to 'persuasion' but one certainly wasn't swayed by a full lunchbox.

The cases selectively mentioned are half right. The MP's case has hardly begun for example. The worst example is the BIB in Kalasin, convicted of murder during Thaksin's 'drug war', and given bail.

Yes, why is Thaksin not residing in Thailand?

http://toptenfamous.com/top-10-worst-prisons-in-the-world/

Very interesting that Bang Kwang is rated in the top 10 worst prisons. I have helped a drug-related prisoner who was in Klong Prem & asked for (successfully) a transfer to Bang Kwang. He felt that the prisoner restrictions (receiving books, food, etc) were less restrictive in Bang Kwang.

To address the OP Headline is see the 3 key challenges as:

1. Honesty

2. Accountability

3. Integrity

The odds of addressing these are................Buckleys and truck all.

I would add..........

4. Corruption

The rice scam being a prime example