Stocks And Shares. - Living Well In Thailand From Stocks And Shares

How about "living well in Thailand from gambling?". Day trading is not work. It is speculation. Your gain is someone else's loss. Bad karma. You live well from helping other people not from praying on them.

although i abhor daytrading (except in rare cases) your opinion "preying on other people" is as ignorant as can be. no offence meant!

Oh really? What's so ignorant about it? Go ahead, make my day and explain your point instead of just throwing flames around. Where do you think the money day traders make come from??? If they do of course.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since August 2011, I have been making, on average, 110,000 baht per month profit investing in Thai stocks- but i don't take this out as cash, i always put it back into my thai stocks portfolio.

It sounds like you are doing well but would be more meaningful to know your return on investment in percentage terms. If it was really up there it may be a good time to take SOME profits off the table and buy something of value and or enjoyment. Even though the SET is doing great now and in the foreseeable future I like to take excess (of whats needed) off the table to enjoy. Last year was a new bike, car and boat, later this year thinking of building a house here. Stocks seem to have the same laws of gravity and eventually will come down.

Funny that was omitted. 'Twas about 10% last year when even the SET50 index went up 40%. smile.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/603246-whats-up-with-k-bank-today-up-4-on-the-set/#entry5911104

1 m- 500K $ batches- sells them as soon as there is a 1-2% return- makes tens of thousands per trade in just a few hours/days/weeks.

No, he makes 5-20k per batch

http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking/savings-account/rams/rams-saver/24819

I like the idea that I can spend my days and nights doing something other than scouring rows of data on a laptop, but that's just me. For some, I suspect that the prospect of Forex or share trading is as much about finding something to fill in their days when they retire - fortunately, I've discovered fast women and slow horses. wink.png

Thanks for that link. Are those Gov't. insured accounts ? Is it the same as the USA, where the FDIC will always pay back your money if there is a problem?

No - RAMS is a non-bank lender and not covered by the Federal Government's Guarantee scheme from what I can see on this page:

http://www.guaranteescheme.gov.au/guaranteed-liabilities/

I don't believe this scheme was ever designed to do anything more than assure Australians with bank accounts that they weren't going to wake up to the same headlines as those seen in the UK, Ireland and Europe. Any investment - however 'low risk' - needs to be researched thoroughly. I posted that link after someone mentioned earlier that his friend is getting 5% pa in Oz - when the Bank of England is no longer seen as 'impregnable', I dont see any investment as 100% risk free.

I like the idea that I can spend my days and nights doing something other than scouring rows of data on a laptop, but that's just me. For some, I suspect that the prospect of Forex or share trading is as much about finding something to fill in their days when they retire - fortunately, I've discovered fast women and slow horses. wink.png

Thanks for that link. Are those Gov't. insured accounts ? Is it the same as the USA, where the FDIC will always pay back your money if there is a problem?

No - RAMS is a non-bank lender and not covered by the Federal Government's Guarantee scheme from what I can see on this page:

I don't believe this scheme was ever designed to do anything more than assure Australians with bank accounts that they weren't going to wake up to the same headlines as those seen in the UK, Ireland and Europe. Any investment - however 'low risk' - needs to be researched thoroughly. I posted that link after someone mentioned earlier that his friend is getting 5% pa in Oz - when the Bank of England is no longer seen as 'impregnable', I dont see any investment as 100% risk free.

How about "living well in Thailand from gambling?". Day trading is not work. It is speculation. Your gain is someone else's loss. Bad karma. You live well from helping other people not from praying on them.

People here are more likely to be prayed on by the big hands and prop traders in the SET than the other way round.

Everybody makes money when the markets are going up. Don't tell me about returns since August 2011, tell me about returns since August 2007. The Thai economy is booming, while the trade balance is worsening. Yes, Thailand is in a sweet spot for at least the next 10 years. No, this rally in Thai stocks is not sustainable. It's not a time to buy Thai stocks, it's a time to take some profits and park them - for example - in gold.

Everybody makes money when the markets are going up. Don't tell me about returns since August 2011, tell me about returns since August 2007. The Thai economy is booming, while the trade balance is worsening. Yes, Thailand is in a sweet spot for at least the next 10 years. No, this rally in Thai stocks is not sustainable. It's not a time to buy Thai stocks, it's a time to take some profits and park them - for example - in gold.

If as you say Thailand is in a "sweet spot" or bull market run for at least the next 10 years then shouldn't they be buying into the market. I always like the idea of taking profits off the table though and leaving the principal in - you never get burned that way and you only lose potential increases. I'll pass on that gold until it goes considerably lower, as with the SET gold is very expensive even if it is off it's highs. Gold stocks on the other hand have been hammered for the last 2 1/2 years inspite of high bullion prices.

Edited by gerry53
  • Like 1

If as you say Thailand is in a "sweet spot" or bull market run for at least the next 10 years then shouldn't they be buying into the market. I always like the idea of taking profits off the table though and leaving the principal in - you never get burned that way and you only lose potential increases. I'll pass on that gold until it goes considerably lower, as with the SET gold is very expensive even if it is off it's highs. Gold stocks on the other hand have been hammered for the last 2 1/2 years inspite of high bullion prices.

Sweet spot in terms of economy. Stock market and economy are two different things. Thai gold price is the lowest since July 2011. If you wonder why gold stocks are not performing: the profit margins just aren't there. Their costs have gone up way faster than the gold price. Plus new taxes/royaltys, new regulations, etc. If you think gold will go down (more), than the last thing you should buy are gold stocks - they will get slaughtered. BTW: in sterling and yen gold prices are at new highs. Gold doesn't go up or down - it's the currency that gains/keeps or loses purchasing power. Throughout history it has been the latter.

• Like 1

As I said gold is off it's highs. I had 100% gold stocks 3 years again and now I have none, I made great money on the runup and lost a small portion on the slide before exiting. I never suggested buying gold stocks at this point and if the bullion price goes down of course the stocks will get decimated further (they already have been).

I agree it's the currency that fluctuates but it's difficult to pay at Tesco or the bar in bullion?

As I said gold is off it's highs. I had 100% gold stocks 3 years again and now I have none, I made great money on the runup and lost a small portion on the slide before exiting. I never suggested buying gold stocks at this point and if the bullion price goes down of course the stocks will get decimated further (they already have been).

I agree it's the currency that fluctuates but it's difficult to pay at Tesco or the bar in bullion?

Do you pay at Tesco with stocks, bonds or ETFs?

• Like 1

Sweet spot in terms of economy. Stock market and economy are two different things. Thai gold price is the lowest since July 2011. If you wonder why gold stocks are not performing: the profit margins just aren't there. Their costs have gone up way faster than the gold price. Plus new taxes/royaltys, new regulations, etc. If you think gold will go down (more), than the last thing you should buy are gold stocks - they will get slaughtered. BTW: in sterling and yen gold prices are at new highs. Gold doesn't go up or down - it's the currency that gains/keeps or loses purchasing power. Throughout history it has been the latter.

Don't be silly.

I'm planning to invest in an Aberdeen mutual fund once there is a 10-15% pullback on the SET.

The SET has been down four days in a row and off approximately 5% since I made this post. To those who are long, sorry.gif

Well Aberdeen's New Thai Investment Trust is down from 577p to 504p this week......

Question: I use Kasikorn for trading stocks. When I am supposed to receive a dividend payment, will they send me a check ? or deposit the dividend into my stock acct. or my Kasikorn linked savings account ? I would prefer a direct deposit into my account. Thanks for any info.

we poor little people envy you sad.png

I enjoy listening to you's guy's as guess they is some great info to learn , I personally think some of the gov schemes are incrediable , especially the tax relief - Imagine investing £10,000 and only having £200 at risk or 2% of investment at stake - as a potential expat I would be seriously considering the UK investment route under the SEIS scheme, its a no brainer - especially if you have taxes to pay - the tax can become an investment rather then given to the taxman - for example You decide you want to leave the UK and sell up maybe a rental property, this is subject to 40% tax - you invest the said amount and then qualify for further tax relief on other taxable investments to the tune of 50% of your original investment - and the investment secures shares, which is also CGT FREE - Crazy , One of the Dragons Doug Richard said its one of the most extrodinary incentives ever created , yet few know or use this method, I think its the golden ticket for expats , and the deeper I look into it the better it gets

Edited by stephens1

Do any of the local brokerages have a SET index fund?

I will be interested in the answer to that question and have a related question: Has anyone found a way to invest, while a Thai resident, in U.S. index funds or ETF's (e. g. Vanguard stock funds)? I had an online account with TDAmeritrade but discovered that, although they do allow non-U.S. residents to open accounts, if you are resident in Thailand and certain other countries they will not allow you to buy anything.

Cheers

TG

Question: I use Kasikorn for trading stocks. When I am supposed to receive a dividend payment, will they send me a check ? or deposit the dividend into my stock acct. or my Kasikorn linked savings account ? I would prefer a direct deposit into my account. Thanks for any info.

Anyone have any experiences to share about receiving dividend payments? Thanks

Default is that it should be deposited into your stock trading account.

I don't know if there is an option on some Thai stock dividend payouts of auto converting to scrip rather than cash payout.

Edited by yoshiwara

Default is that it should be deposited into your stock trading account.

I don't know if there is an option on some Thai stock dividend payouts of auto converting to scrip rather than cash payout.

I get my dividends sent to me in the form of a check.

It is always safer/easier to hold your shares in NVDR, as an alternative you can also buy or convert to foreign registered stock but that depends on availability. Thai companies take this very seriously (its the law) and they will withhold dividend payments where they have reason to believe that the owner (of a Thai registered stock) is foreign. NVDR is just easier and there is no real practical difference (unless you want to launch a bid for the whole company) .Indevidual circumstances vary and I am not sure what the situation is if you have permanent residence but , just living here with, say a work permit, still counts you as foreign. Even if you are Thai you can hold your shares in NVDR so no need to make things complicated, tick the box.

you are not required to declare dividends from SET listed companies, but, again depending on indevidual circumstances, there maybe benefit in having the (withholding) tax that you have already paid included in your total tax calculation.

This cuts both ways because Thai holders of foreign registered stock can also not get their dividends. It is the registry that withholds payments, not the companies themselves, unless they act as their own registrars which has I think been completely phased out now.

I agree that NVDRs make sense for foreign retail investors. Many foreign funds also use them for convenience. Only pension funds tend to have strict fiduciary rules requiring to always vote their proxies. If you buy foreign registered stock or buy local and have it registered as foreign, in many cases the foreign stock is not traded every day which means that the value of your stock in your online port with the broker will be shown as the last done foreign price which may have been a few years ago. It might even have never traded on the foreign board which means the value will be shown as zero.

On the con side, you cannot claim any tax rebate if you own NVDRs. If you are resident in Thailand for more than 180 days a year and own foreign registered stocks, you can claim a rebate of some of the 10% withholding tax paid on your dividends based on a complex formula that inputs the company's tax rate and your personal tax rate. The higher the company's tax rate and the lower your tax rate is, the more rebate you can claim. Now that corporate tax rates have gone down from 30% to 20%, this benefit is less valuable and there is a bit of paperwork involved but those with big dividend flows who reside in Thailand might want to consider it.

Just in relation to the last para, this article may be of interest: http://www.apolloinvestment.com/F080807.htm