Stocks And Shares. - Living Well In Thailand From Stocks And Shares

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, you need to define what is your meaning of living well? 10,000 baht per month? 100,000 baht per month? 1,000,000 baht per month? or even more?

Secondly, what is your investment philosophy? Dividend oriented? Long term versus day trade? And, how much capital have you set aside for this venture? If you want to make 1 mil, it's probably a lot easier to achieve this with a capital of 100 mil than just 1 mil right?

SET has made many rich people and poor people out of it. There are also so many other markets to trade via internet these days. You should start by setting a realistic ROI, beware of your surrounding daily events to formulate your own thinking and strategy, then do your crap shoot and hopefully it will go as your plan. However, patience is a vital key and a good virtue to have plus a sound exit strategy when things don't go your way (stop-loss and position sizing)?

And by the way, you don't need a work visa for stock trading, just a brokerage account. The brokerage house will ask you for all the paperwork that you need to legally trade in this country.

Edited by huanga
  • Like 1

Secondly, what is your investment philosophy? Dividend oriented? Long term versus day trade? And, how much capital have you set aside for this venture? If you want to make 1 mil, it's probably a lot easier to achieve this with a capital of 100 mil than just 1 mil right?

He said he wants to day trade.

You need to clarify if you want to day trade Thai or foreign stocks. If you have experience day trading in your home countries markets you may want to give it a try in SET traded stocks. I have a hard time analysing stocks in my home country, never mind here in Thailand? For Thai stocks (20% of my portfolio) my solution was to utilize a mutual fund from a large Thai bank so I do not actively have to buy and sell - just monitor conditions. The returns tend to offset currency fluctuations. My Thai fund did well last year with over 40% return and was non taxable, this year it has continued gaining well.

I am not sure but I doubt they would require a work permit to invest money in their country and markets. As stated earlier living well for some people is 50K baht a month, for others that may only pay the bar bill!

• Like 1

Question comes up here from time to time.

Broadly I'd say if you are employed by someone to trade and/or they are paying for your services then you need a WP.

If you're just trading for yourself on your own account, then no. I've taken time out living on investment income and trading, no WP. Just ensure your tax return and tax affairs are as they should be, and visa and extensions are in line.

Fletch :)

Since August 2011, I have been making, on average, 110,000 baht per month profit investing in Thai stocks- but i don't take this out as cash, i always put it back into my thai stocks portfolio.

It sounds like you are doing well but would be more meaningful to know your return on investment in percentage terms. If it was really up there it may be a good time to take SOME profits off the table and buy something of value and or enjoyment. Even though the SET is doing great now and in the foreseeable future I like to take excess (of whats needed) off the table to enjoy. Last year was a new bike, car and boat, later this year thinking of building a house here. Stocks seem to have the same laws of gravity and eventually will come down.
  • Like 1

Since August 2011, I have been making, on average, 110,000 baht per month profit investing in Thai stocks- but i don't take this out as cash, i always put it back into my thai stocks portfolio.

It sounds like you are doing well but would be more meaningful to know your return on investment in percentage terms. If it was really up there it may be a good time to take SOME profits off the table and buy something of value and or enjoyment. Even though the SET is doing great now and in the foreseeable future I like to take excess (of whats needed) off the table to enjoy. Last year was a new bike, car and boat, later this year thinking of building a house here. Stocks seem to have the same laws of gravity and eventually will come down.

Funny that was omitted. 'Twas about 10% last year when even the SET50 index went up 40%. smile.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/603246-whats-up-with-k-bank-today-up-4-on-the-set/#entry5911104

Edited by JSixpack

Since Aug 2011 i made 35% return. Bear in mind that the 10% last year- represented only 2 months or so when my money was actually in stocks- most of the year i sat out- so you can do the math on that- FWIW.

For me i gauge my success/feel happy if i can get 1,000-2,000 USD return per month- that's a good chunk of change to reinvest in stocks or other commodities (in fact i have got more than double my target monthly returns over the last year or so, so double happiness so to speak).

Edited by ExpatJ

Funny that was omitted. 'Twas about 10% last year when even the SET50 index went up 40%. smile.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/603246-whats-up-with-k-bank-today-up-4-on-the-set/#entry5911104

Hmmm, not for me. ;-) But i have a friend in US who buys stocks in 1 m- 500K $ batches- sells them as soon as there is a 1-2% return- makes tens of thousands per trade in just a few hours/days/weeks. no need to strive, risk and wait for high returns. Its true what they say, the rich get richer most easily!

Edited by ExpatJ
  • Like 1

Thats great for your friend, like you it's not for me either. If your friends calculated risk loses money in that few hours/day/week he could lose a pile if money depending where he puts his stop loss?

I have seen too many ex day traders trying to find cheap meals around Soi Buakhao while enjoying a cold beer from 7-11.whistling.gif

Edited by gerry53
  • Like 2

^ No, I just missed the huge run-up the last two years, and I think things are a little bit frothy right now. I want to get in on the next dip and hopefully ride it up some more.

I agree - but it has been a nice run even with a slow period around last summer. Good luck.

• Like 1

I'm planning to invest in an Aberdeen mutual fund once there is a 10-15% pullback on the SET.

It could happen, did you hear something I didn't?

investors sell in may

and go away tongue.png

Very true and has stood the test of time..............

I'm planning to invest in an Aberdeen mutual fund once there is a 10-15% pullback on the SET.

investors sell in may

and go away tongue.png

If I am holding quality dividend stocks or mutual funds I don't sell in May. If it was a highly speculative investment and sensitive to less trading activity or seasonal hiccups I might get out. Historically May to September are less profitable than Oct to May but usually make money also (albeit less). I usually lock in my years profits to offset this by removing 1 years cash supply before May to weather any storms. That being said last May was the largest loss in my home countries portfolio since 2008!!! giggle.gif

investors sell in may

and go away tongue.png

what

in Thailand?

with all the mega projects and contracts being inked

i dont think Thailand is shutting up shop in May

• Like 1

investors sell in may

and go away tongue.png

what

in Thailand?

with all the mega projects and contracts being inked

i dont think Thailand is shutting up shop in May

I think the "go away in May" is more a western thing where there is less stock activity and reports in the summer months, plus nice weather and people taking time off. (kind of a low season)

I agree it shouldn't effect the present hot economy here, I know I won't be selling my funds in Thailand with a 20% year to date return for 2013.

Question Is there many out here living on investment day trading in stocks and shares ?? As in effect the work is done in Thailand do you need a work visa. ??

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1237

“Stock investment is not lawfully defined as work. As long as you are not working, you do not need to apply for a work permit.

For example. If you are a shareholder or an executive of a company, but you do not sign documents related to the daily functions of that company, you do not need a work permit.

Noppadol Ployudee, chief of the Phuket Provincial Employment Office.

If anyone would be happy with 10%-20% per month, (3 years historic records), minimum $50,000, no 'lock-in',in a highly reputable Forex, p. m. me or write me at : [email protected]

LOL

hope nobody is happy with 10 - 20% per monthtongue.png

post your historic records here so that I can cut them in pieces right away.

I opened an account with Kasikorn Securities in late January. I have a very good representative who has made excellent recommendations and each morning I receive a fairly detailed analysis briefing from their research department. So far up over 20% on dividend paying stocks. For me it was a no brainer; this is a vibrant expanding economy that makes sense to participate in.

For those waiting for the SET to pull back 10-15%, my gut reaction is that you will miss the boat.

We buy individual companies, not the market, and every day there is a new opportunity.

• Like 1

As long as you do realize, and understand, that money that you do not spend, and money that you do not have, are the same.