What Dash Cam To Buy And Where

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the BlackVue DR500 -GW (7990 baht) - I did plenty of research, IMO its the best one out there for a number of reasons, mostly quality and size (its completely inconspicuous).

I'm really happy with it.

Wifi function connects directly to my Phone, I can view the real time display or the saved files or change the setting on the cam directly from my phone.

Files record on a loop to the SD card in 1-3 minute packets (depending on setup). 

G-Setting are established in set-up (up-down/sideways/forwards-backwards) and when the G-settings are exceed the 1-3 minute packet is locked so that it can't be over written until cleared when the SD card is plugged into a computer. 

The Cam records in 1080 HD at 30 fps with a 120 degree field of view. The cam has GPS (which can be turned off) and records sound (which can also be turned off).

The cam sits cleanly behind the rear-view mirror (I can't see it while driving), power cables are run though the upholstery to the centre arm-rest console 12v outlet and can't be seen.

Then cam also has a park mode when wired directly to the batter (with a battery saver device) which I have not installed. 

Hi Richard. Where did you pick that up from, was installation included? Thx.

I have the BlackVue DR500 -GW (7990 baht) - I did plenty of research, IMO its the best one out there for a number of reasons, mostly quality and size (its completely inconspicuous).

I'm really happy with it.

Wifi function connects directly to my Phone, I can view the real time display or the saved files or change the setting on the cam directly from my phone.

Files record on a loop to the SD card in 1-3 minute packets (depending on setup).

G-Setting are established in set-up (up-down/sideways/forwards-backwards) and when the G-settings are exceed the 1-3 minute packet is locked so that it can't be over written until cleared when the SD card is plugged into a computer.

The Cam records in 1080 HD at 30 fps with a 120 degree field of view. The cam has GPS (which can be turned off) and records sound (which can also be turned off).

The cam sits cleanly behind the rear-view mirror (I can't see it while driving), power cables are run though the upholstery to the centre arm-rest console 12v outlet and can't be seen.

Then cam also has a park mode when wired directly to the batter (with a battery saver device) which I have not installed.

Hi Richard. Where did you pick that up from, was installation included? Thx.

A Thai website called Monzy shop... Self installation was easy.

This is really just a video upload test to see if it works.

Having eventually managed to actually get a short video on to YouTube then needed somewhere to upload it

to see if it all works.

As there is no separate "Test" forum available after much deliberation you lucky people have been randomly

selected for the first viewing of my first YouTube video. w00t.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO2GGvnH4ZI&feature=player_detailpage

The clip is from my CarCam that I got at PhanThip for 1600Bt. I think the quality is more than sufficient, you

can read the number plates. The soundtrack is from the in car MP3 player at almost full volume. (I was on my

own) With passengers and the music at normal level you can clearly hear any conversation.

At night as long as there is some light, in town or from the headlights the the picture is very acceptable.

1600Bt well spent methinks.

If you can view the video I guess the test is successful

biggrin.png

@daffy,

Plates can be read if they are exactly in front of you, but cars on other lane has unreadable plates. This is due to cheap lens on dashcam dvr.

There are other cameras with edge to edge clear 1080p picture. Check techmoan.com for mobius action camera (can work as dashcam dvr) for example.

@daffy,

Plates can be read if they are exactly in front of you, but cars on other lane has unreadable plates. This is due to cheap lens on dashcam dvr.

There are other cameras with edge to edge clear 1080p picture. Check techmoan.com for mobius action camera (can work as dashcam dvr) for example.

That's true and I'm sure a more expensive set up will work better but as an example of a moderate priced camera I think it does the job well enough.

biggrin.png

Ok guys, I bought the LS400W camera from the Thai man.

A very nice guy, same age as me, and speaks good English.

He will be the official DOD dealer Thailand soon. So he can get everything very cheap.

Even lower than every webshop I found no matter which currency! It's only 3,999 THB

Some info:

Brand: DOD

Model: LS400W

Specs: http://www.dod-tec.com/images/downloads/Catalog/LS400W.pdf

Manual: Yes

GPS: No

Dualcam: No

Daytime: perfect and sharp +++++!

Nightime: haven't seen any dashcam performing better for whatever price ++++!

MicroSDHC: not included

Price: 3,999 Baht

Prices elsewhere: $145-$225, with and without shipping, takes 14-31 days, possible tax.

Manufactured: Taiwan

i wonder if there another model with the same night performance but with 60fps? if so what will be the price for it...do u have an idea?

thnx

After some not so intensive research I also decided to buy the Pittasoft Blackvue DR500GW-HD dash cam. I called Monzy Shop in Bangkok and went to pick it up. I then had it installed (hard wired with a power adapter) in my BMW at SFX Auto on Rama 4. It's one of the more expensive dash cams on the market but well worth the money for the quality you get.

After some not so intensive research I also decided to buy the Pittasoft Blackvue DR500GW-HD dash cam. I called Monzy Shop in Bangkok and went to pick it up. I then had it installed (hard wired with a power adapter) in my BMW at SFX Auto on Rama 4. It's one of the more expensive dash cams on the market but well worth the money for the quality you get.

Interesting: Mght the hardware effect your electrics warranty?

BMW on Rama4 suggested to me that it might so I went with the simpler 'plug into the 12v socket' option.

IMO: the DR500GW-HD is one of the best cams on the market.

He will be the official DOD dealer Thailand soon. So he can get everything very cheap.

Even lower than every webshop I found no matter which currency! It's only 3,999 THB

So if you want to make use of this deal, simply email him at [email protected]

You can write him in English (and tell him you saw a message from Hans online and he bought for also 3999 Baht,

because I told him I have some friends who may also want to buy it, and would like to do for same price. Instead of suddenly increasing the price)

Some info:

Prices elsewhere: $145-$225, with and without shipping, takes 14-31 days, possible tax.

Pic of the box:

I will now unpack it, and later today drive around Bangkok, including at night.

Anyone now some dark soi's I can drive at ? Preferable after 11pm, so traffic wont be that bad lol.

Ok that's it for now. Hope I have a good deal for you guys and at the same time helping him out as well :-)

No, I do not get commission or whatever, just sharing with you.

Hans

EDIT: sorry for poor iphone pic quality lol

Got the same camera today and she is amazing...Great guy!!! came all the way to my apt'...highly recommend folks

After some not so intensive research I also decided to buy the Pittasoft Blackvue DR500GW-HD dash cam.  I called Monzy Shop in Bangkok and went to pick it up.  I then had it installed (hard wired with a power adapter) in my BMW at SFX Auto on Rama 4.  It's one of the more expensive dash cams on the market but well worth the money for the quality you get. 

Did you get a low battery cut off switch put in too? How much did SFX charge?

• 1 month later...

Interesting: Mght the hardware effect your electrics warranty?

BMW on Rama4 suggested to me that it might so I went with the simpler 'plug into the 12v socket' option.

IMO: the DR500GW-HD is one of the best cams on the market.

Interested to know about the parking mode on this cam, does the camera have a permanent hard wired

supply so that it will continue working after the car is parked and locked?

And,

is there an on/off switch on the cam to choose when to have it working?

My preference would be not to use the Cigar lighter option as this would only allow operation when the

ignition key is on, therefore unable to use the parking mode option.

You can write him in English (and tell him you saw a message from Hans online and he bought for also 3999 Baht,

because I told him I have some friends who may also want to buy it, and would like to do for same price. Instead of suddenly increasing the price)

Some info:

Pic of the box:

Anyone now some dark soi's I can drive at ? Preferable after 11pm, so traffic wont be that bad lol.

Ok that's it for now. Hope I have a good deal for you guys and at the same time helping him out as well :-)

Hans

Got the same camera today and she is amazing...Great guy!!! came all the way to my apt'...highly recommend folks

I'm interested in buying this camera, but not sure where from?

Can either of you who have already purchased it let me know if you bought it

in Bangkok or was it an online order?

I just cant see what use they are if one has The Finest Insurance. thumbsup.gif Apart from Showboating on You Tube.w00t.gif

Farang always guilty in Thailand doesnt mean anything to you?

Nothing Whatsoever. Absolute Cobblers. Thats a Sin Sod Payers attitude. Blame Thailand because your Daft. biggrin.png

Some info:

Pic of the box:

Hans

I'm interested in buying this camera, but not sure where from? 

Can either of you who have already purchased it let me know if you bought it 

in Bangkok or was it an online order?

No, you don't deserve an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Been eyeing the Blackvue 500 for a long time now, woke up this morning and decided I just have to have it with all the BS stories I read happening in here.

Went to eBay, checked the seller (dream-seller) web store and was pleasantly surprised there is a newer blackvue model, which is basically the same 500 camera (Full HD) + another HD camera to mount on the rear window.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330988797706&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:CA:3160

Bought it. An hour ago got a confirmation that it's already shipped.

It's a top model at the moment, and the best dash cam you can get (read the reviews), it also comes with a Power box Pro, which lets the camera stay in monitoring mode even when the engine is off, it will sping back to life and start recording if it senses the car got bumped into (on a car park for example), plus the power box keeps the built in GPS receiver powered up and it saves the time that it takes for the GPS to acquire a new lock once the car is started and the camera starts recording.

The previous 500 series are on sale now because of this new model also if you don't care for the power box, it's additional $50 dollars off. So the bare 500 (no WiFi or GPS) is $250 now and the one with WiFi and GPS is 300

I just cant see what use they are if one has The Finest Insurance. thumbsup.gif Apart from Showboating on You Tube.w00t.gif

Farang always guilty in Thailand doesnt mean anything to you?

I hate to use these words where AoP is concerned, but: these words mean nothing to a reasonably thinking person.

I just think they are a waste of Money. Thai Ways will grind on, despite Ferang Ideas....Hence Invest in the Finest Isurance!.. O.K. they can be Fun for recording Fortuna Clowns, and Wacky Scooters, but save you from the System, NO WAY..It would join all my other good ideas like Radar "MUST HAVE" Gadgets behind the Pressure Washer in the Shed.biggrin.png .

Been eyeing the Blackvue 500 for a long time now, woke up this morning and decided I just have to have it with all the BS stories I read happening in here.

Went to eBay, checked the seller (dream-seller) web store and was pleasantly surprised there is a newer blackvue model, which is basically the same 500 camera (Full HD) + another HD camera to mount on the rear window.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330988797706&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:CA:3160

Bought it. An hour ago got a confirmation that it's already shipped.

It's a top model at the moment, and the best dash cam you can get (read the reviews), it also comes with a Power box Pro, which lets the camera stay in monitoring mode even when the engine is off, it will sping back to life and start recording if it senses the car got bumped into (on a car park for example), plus the power box keeps the built in GPS receiver powered up and it saves the time that it takes for the GPS to acquire a new lock once the car is started and the camera starts recording.

The previous 500 series are on sale now because of this new model also if you don't care for the power box, it's additional $50 dollars off. So the bare 500 (no WiFi or GPS) is $250 now and the one with WiFi and GPS is 300

Why'd you choose ebay over the Thai vendor?

Which shipping method did you opt for? - and please let us know if customs takes a bite?!

Sorry can't be of any help, I sent it to my Canadian address, will pick it up on my upcoming short trip back there.

There are some local dealers fortunately, they may even have this new model in stock.

I talked to one of the TV members over PM some time ago and got a few links to a local dealer

http://monzyshop.weloveshopping.com/store/webboard/view/Review_%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%8C_Blackvue_dr_500_Top_class-6829065-th.html

http://monzyshop.weloveshopping.com/store/product/view/Blackvue_DR500GW_HD_Wi_Fi_Top_Class-23976697-th.html%5D

The site is in Thai and the links are to a 500 model. Obviously being Thai, they ship around Thailand.

I can't read and can't navigate the site, I don't know if they got the 550 model, the one I got off the eBay, and I don't know if the Power Box is included in the package or separate or even if they have them. If you have a Thai tee ruk, ask her to translate or search it for you.

I bought a model called Carcam from Ebay about 8 months ago for around a 1000 baht delivered, but it died a few days ago. It powers on but there is no picture to be seen, and nothing I've tried will revive it. I will say it did have an excellent sharp image whilst it lasted, but I guess can't expect much for $30.

I bought a model called Carcam from Ebay about 8 months ago for around a 1000 baht delivered, but it died a few days ago. It powers on but there is no picture to be seen, and nothing I've tried will revive it. I will say it did have an excellent sharp image whilst it lasted, but I guess can't expect much for $30.

Has it got a reset button?

Try a new/different memory card.

Worked with me when the picture started disappearing.

smile.png