Baby Due Early April

simon43

My wife is now about the same size as a London double-decker bus :o, so it's not long until our new son appears on the scene.

This will be my 4th baby, (3 already in England), so I'm not too worried that we cannot cope.

But I do want to make sure that we have all neccessary (and useful) items to help us look after the new arrival.

Looking around the baby shops in Phuket, there's seems to be plenty of choice, but some items are not to be found at all and the quality of other items looks rather suspect!

I'm going back to England next week for a few days, so I want to buy any baby items that are difficult to buy in Thailand. (Eg, one of those used nappy bins to avoid bad smells, you dads know what I mean).

Can anyone suggest items that I should buy in the UK because they are difficult to buy in Thailand, or the quality of these locally-bought items is suspect?

It's a big plane, so I can bring back a lot of stuff!

Thanks

Simon

My wife is now about the same size as a London double-decker bus :o, so it's not long until our new son appears on the scene.

This will be my 4th baby, (3 already in England), so I'm not too worried that we cannot cope.

But I do want to make sure that we have all neccessary (and useful) items to help us look after the new arrival.

Looking around the baby shops in Phuket, there's seems to be plenty of choice, but some items are not to be found at all and the quality of other items looks rather suspect!

I'm going back to England next week for a few days, so I want to buy any baby items that are difficult to buy in Thailand. (Eg, one of those used nappy bins to avoid bad smells, you dads know what I mean).

Can anyone suggest items that I should buy in the UK because they are difficult to buy in Thailand, or the quality of these locally-bought items is suspect?

It's a big plane, so I can bring back a lot of stuff!

Thanks

Simon

This may seem strange, "common t-towels" the ones we use in the UK to dry-up the dinner plates etc. My Mrs has found them invaliable when it comes to drying the baby bottles, feeding spoon, etc etc. As far as I know you can get them here in TH. Most thias just leave stuff to dry in the heat which is not the best thing for a newborns feeding stuff. (if you have time get them washed and dried in HOT water in the UK first, it makes them so much better)

My Mrs guards them with her life, reckons they are great.

Just my thought.

CF

Baby bottles.

The plastic that is used to make bottles in this country is the kind of plastic that is never supposed to be heated and reused. If the bottle makes a clicking sound when you tap it, it's not good for babies. Something about toxins being released when it reaches a certain temperature, which is bound to be reached when sterilizing bottles. Baby bottles should make a dull thud kind of noise when you tap them. Gerber bottles are good, and available here, but not easily available, and they seem horribly expensive once you start buying baby stuff here.

Cups with spill proof spouts. The kind that the baby can shake up and down and no liquid comes out of.

Bowls and plates with suction on the bottom to stick to high chair trays so baby can't throw the whole meal on the floor.

Backpack style baby carriers. Maybe they have them in Bangkok, but I've never seem them up north here. I even tried to order one from Bangkok through Central and they couldn't get it. Had to get a friend to bring one back from home when she went back for a visit.

Plastic mattress protector for when he/she pees more than the nappy will hold. Or pees while being changes. Or throws up on the bed. The Thai style of baking it in the sun to get the smell out... well..... find a plastic sheet and save yourself the headache, particularly if the baby's going to be sleeping in YOUR bed.

That's all that comes to mind. Good luck with everything! :o

Cheers,

TT

Quality accessories are about the same price as in the west.

Choice of those in Thailand is limited, at least you won't be able to chose colour.

For example, when buying a prem at Emporium in BKK, the only model left was a non-reclining one. Same brand (Combi), fully reclining was sold out and new shipment coming in 2 months.

Maclaren prem would be one thing I would bring from UK. Locally available (unless imported) el-chipos are of poor quality (proportional with the price of 1500-2500B).

No need for bottles and things with no moving parts, quality is comparable (could even be the same brand - i.e. Dysney) and much cheaper in Thai.

If you are not going back to UK or BKK soon, maybe you can get "Mobiles" - a toy that has parts hanging over laying baby that it can touch and rattle. When tey are good, they are priced same as in the west.

In my experience most things are available for baby's in mothercare. At a price though :D . The thing I often hear moaned about by friends are baby seats. If you can afford one, get a decent rear facing one from the UK and a booster seat. We bought both girls boosters in Central here. The most basic one cost us 6.500 baht :o : . During our recent trip back to UK, I got them one each at a total cost of 20 pounds. :D

I would say don't bother with one of those complicated bin things for the used nappies. Just use one of the many thousand you will undoubtedly have in the house from 7-11 or family mart.

Enjoy :D

Just thought of another thing. Assuming your have a microwave, a microwave steam steriliser is fabulous. Pop the gear in, zap it and 10 minutes later it is done. No more soaking, rinsing and trying to keep stuff clean. Brilliant in my opinion and cost around 15 pounds. :D

Baby bottles.

The plastic that is used to make bottles in this country is the kind of plastic that is never supposed to be heated and reused. If the bottle makes a clicking sound when you tap it, it's not good for babies.

"Dysney" bottles at Lotus are quite good. I don't know if they cover all the needs or if they are expensive compared to others available. We bought some, they are still around.

Anatomic and age appropriate drinking and eating staff were all from Japan but I saw them everywhere.

Not correct. Quality is easily double the price of Western, or HKG.

Choice of those in Thailand is limited, at least you won't be able to chose colour.

For example, when buying a prem at Emporium in BKK, the only model left was a non-reclining one. Same brand (Combi), fully reclining was sold out and new shipment coming in 2 months.

Maclaren prem would be one thing I would bring from UK. Locally available (unless imported) el-chipos are of poor quality (proportional with the price of 1500-2500B).

Get Quinny. Large selection at The Mall. Same prices as in West (not cheap).

No need for bottles and things with no moving parts, quality is comparable (could even be the same brand - i.e. Dysney) and much cheaper in Thai.

Again not correct. Plastic is NO good for the baby. Buy Avent, is very expensive here though.

If you are not going back to UK or BKK soon, maybe you can get "Mobiles" - a toy that has parts hanging over laying baby that it can touch and rattle. When tey are good, they are priced same as in the west.

Edited by wimster

Not correct. Quality is easily double the price of Western, or HKG.

Get Quinny. Large selection at The Mall. Same prices as in West (not cheap).

Again not correct. Plastic is NO good for the baby. Buy Avent, is very expensive here though.

What is not correct? I took Combi 182 A4 pages catalogue to Emporium and prices (of what was available) were almost identical. Staff there were using the same catalogue to show customers.

About plasitc: hardly anything for drinking we have is not made of plastic and things are mostly Combi, world leading brand.

Have a look if you want:

http://www.combibaby.com/goods/fr_eat_main.html

We're having our latest addition arriving here the beginning of April as well (first baby in Asia too) and bought everything here - including a Quinny pram, excellent things.

Anything that you can get in the UK you can get here in Singapore as well (probably better hospitals here, though), so if you find you need something just drop by on one of the cheap flights from Phuket to Singapore for under USD10 one way and shop till you drop here.

We went to Phuket a few months ago and wantd to buy baby things there but found them to be much more expensive than here - came back with lots of fruit but not much else. Also, the choice here is quite good.

Thanks for all the comments. In fact, the most important thing that I was going to buy in the UK was the front-mount baby holder. I used them in the UK and they were a great way to carry a baby - leaves your hands free to carry the beer! :o

Simon

I couldn't get a baby holder that you wear like a rucksack on your front, where the baby looks forward.

I found these items here in upcountry downtown Buriram :D Was quite suprised actually :o Great range from 700 bht up to 2800 bht. And IMHO a must have for babies in Thailand :D

I found sterilizing tablets from Boots (not available from Boots here) best for the bottles and the a small and easy to take anywhere when travelling.

Although you won't need them for a while, I can not seem to find bibs anywhere (except little tiny ones that hardly do the job).

I also found baby clothes really expensive here and didn't want to fork out so much for something that would only be worn for a short time. My mother, who was in the UK at the time, sent heaps of good quality, cheap strtchy body suits and t-shirt and shorts sets that she got from places like Woolworths. (one cheap brand here that I found was quite good was Auka (sp?) from Lotus).

Wasn't aware of the plastics issue with the bottles (and I thought I'd read up heaps about babies) but being a first time mother I went for the best available and spent a fortune on Avent bottles which my son hated ... the only ones he liked are an 'ergonomically friendly' brand called Natur available cheaply from Lotus.

The biggest thing I have had a problem with is a pushchair ... I've had two, one of them a cheapie at 3000 baht which fell apart after I washed the cover and another that was 10,000 baht on sale that I still use but am desperate to replace as it has become warped with time and my son has totally out-grown it, however I can not find anything that is decent enough quality for a reasonable price and is big enough for him to lie down when sleeping (all the pushchairs here seem to have really short backs to them). He's 17 months old now, but I would say he outgrew it at least 5-6 months ago. If I have another child this is the one thing I would definitely get back home (in NZ) as the choice there is way better and cheaper for the same sort of thing.

congrats on the baby...!...we are expecting our first in june...so i may need to bend an ear on baby tips....all over a pint a guinness mind u....lol

i maybe wrong but is there not a mothercare in bangkok?.....surely everything u need quality wise....i could be wrong though..

congrats on the baby...!...we are expecting our first in june...so i may need to bend an ear on baby tips....all over a pint a guinness mind u....lol

i maybe wrong but is there not a mothercare in bangkok?.....surely everything u need quality wise....i could be wrong though..

Mothercare is seriously expensive in the uk and i am willing to bet it aint any cheaper in Bangkok.

It appears there are 3 in Bangkok and one in Nonthaburi, courtsy of the mothercare website. :o

Bangkok

Thong Lor, J Avenue Complex, 323/1 Sukhumvit 55 (Thonglor 15), Klongton-Nua, Watanna, Bangkok 10260

Tel: 00 662 712 6305, Fax: 00 662 712 6761

Bangkok

Central Department Store 1027 Ploenchit Road Lumpimi, Patumwan Bangkok 10330

Tel: 00 662 655 7777, Fax: 00 662 655 7855

Bangkok

Emporium Shopping Centre Surkumvit Road Bangkok

Tel: 00 662 664 8274

NW Mall

The Mall Ngam Wong Wan, 30/39-50 Ngamwongwan Road, Bangkhen, Muang, Nonthaburi

Tel: 00 662 550 0011-60 exty 579

Hi Simon,

I think a decent baby carrier are hard to find. You can get them but I prefer the scholl one. You know the ones that strap onto you and the baby is at the front. Prams are so awkward in Thailand as the paths tend to be buckled to say the least! I know people may find them easy but up north not so easy...papouse or something, anyway heres a pic of the rolls royce of them!

its the plastic nipple (rubber) as appposed to silicon nipples that caused all the furor a few (11?) years ago for having harmful pvc or something or other...

as for carriers, all the rage among new mothers here in israel is the 'ethnic' thingy that u wrap around yourself and then the baby in front or in back, costs a forune and the ehtiopians have been doing that for centuries with a square of material that costs half the price;

sterilizing: sun and heat is best, not towels!!! which have threads etc... all the mother/child clinics here say, boil the bottles (or nuke them) and put them on a clean rack to air dry ONLY!! (same as when making goat cheeses and sterilizing bottles etc)....

avent is great, baby goats love them too!!!

we went straight from letting babies eat and smear food all over the place, to eating w/adult size forks spoons etc... the baby equipment was used for a month (babies love to throw spoons on floor, and want mommy's spoon and fork anyway).....

dont worry, just gently laughing at all new parents since here also the rage now is all these special three wheeled buggies, huge plastic 'universities' ('educational toys'), etc etc... and most of the stuff never gets used (baby sits on my hip or dad's shoulders, eats with fingers, spills fluids from spilless cups or opens them (plus the straw part is hard to clean and sterilize, lots of mold), plastic sheets stink really quickly unless u have a washing machine, bibs can be made from old t-shirts place over baby, or old towels (cheaper, washable, boilable etc),

coming from the states, my mother had a heart attack when she saw these methods, but three big teenagers later, i see no problems

never sterilized w/tabs: boiled water, soak for ten minutes and that's that....

anyway good luck

I had brought from the UK Avent bottles and a microwave sterilising bowl . bought as a set . ..brilliant quick and effective ...milton tablets are difficult to find so bring some to use for general wipe downs on plastic surfaces , the cot etc .

ps the Avent unit is squat and low and fits into the micro wave better . I thought they were gimmicky till a friend showed me how usefull they were and 40 months ago we bought one.. it is still in use for the tommee tipee type drinking cups only now the boy loads the steriliser and switches on the micro him self .

Disposable nappy sacks were also a great benefit from the UK especially for the in car changes they are perfumed and mask the smell well .every thing else we found in Thailand at Boots, Watsons , Brown Farm good for furniture and push chairs ,Central (car seats) , Big C cheap early clothes .

A rotary clothes drier (like an umbrella without the covering ,fitted in the garden or the yard )light weight easy to find UK ( Argos ) effective to dry the millions of clothes washed . My Thai wife rates this as the best thing ever from the UK .

Another good 1 is to buy from ebay many will send to Bkk if you change the address to send the items. Or you can get them sent to an address in England by someone who has an account there.

All the items are 1/2 to 2/3 rds of the price of the shops in Uk so you are saving there. Get all the items you need and have them sent by Royal mail International or Fedex or something. So you could get a pram, Steralizing unit, clothes, all other bits and bats all sent at once.

Worth a look

Thanks

Jay

• 7 months later...
I couldn't get a baby holder that you wear like a rucksack on your front, where the baby looks forward.

I went to a fancy dress wedding :o dressed as Dr Evil (Grey Suit, Bald Wig, Scar etc) with my 7 month old naturally baby-bald son in a papoose - he was 'mini-me :D

cost me £10 off ebay - do they have a thai ebay (although LOS is one BIG auction!! :D )