Investment In Issan Should Be Taken Into Consideration On Visa

StevenHeidbriderSr

I recently went to immigration to extend my visa based on marriage but was told that 40k+ a month was no longer acceptable and that i needed to show 65k a month or a combo of less than 65k a month plus bank money of difference to total 800k for the year. OK i can do that BUT since i have spent in excess of one million baht since being here only one year one would think that the powers that be would see that i am not a dead beat and can afford to pay my wife and i's way.

I am very frustrated and just wonder what comes next when i return to show money in bank plus pension. Will i need to stand on one foot and shake a dead chicken or what to please the current Administration.

I feel unwanted in thailand now but I KNOW my money is wanted.

BTW The Immigration officer was polite and friendly.

A post making derogatory sweeping generalisations has been removed.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 2

65k/800k is the amount required for retirement extensions.

If you have the money, immigration officers want you to go the retirement route because the paperwork is a lot less and they can approve it when you apply instead of having to sent it out for approval.

I suggest that since you are fairly new here that you read the pinned topics on the visa forum. They are very informative and show you what options you potentially have.

Terry

To the OP ... are you just unloading and feel frustrated?

BTW ... that's fine to do.

Or do you have a question buried in there that I couldn't discern?

Many Falang have multi-million Baht investments in Issan in the form of the housing they have built for their family ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Could someone confirm this? Is it still 40k/month for marriage?

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai

lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of

not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai

bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses

within a year.

From Police Ortder 777/2551

NO changes to amounts for MARRIAGE extensions.

Immigration were obviously trying to move the OP to a Retirement extension to cut down on work.

Upon reflection and reading others trials with immigration I think the change to 65k monthly more than likely has more to do with inflation than anything else.

Absolutely NOTHING to do with inflation.

That figure is for a RETIREMENT extension.

BUT since i have spent in excess of one million baht since being here
only one year one would think that the powers that be would see

There is no requirement from the powers that be for you to spend anything, you only have to satisfy the visa requirements.

I remember another poster a while ago who couldnt understand why immigration wouldnt take into account the fact that he no longer had the money in the bank, he had used it to purchase land.

Immigration have never asked me, how much land I have bought, never asked how many houses I have paid for, or how many trucks and motorbikes I have financed.

Your first consideration is yourself, as long as you meet the requiremnts to be here, then you can take care of wife and family.

Could someone confirm this? Is it still 40k/month for marriage?

Yes as answered in post #9.

I saw postings elsewhere yesterday that suggested that there might be a tightening up on the marriage extension (because immigration prefer the retirement extension as said above - no need to send off to Bangkok for approval). Someone was refused at Chaeng Wattana because he only offered the monthly income. He was told that the monthly income option no longer applies and you have to go down the money in the bank route.

There was speculation on that thread that it might have just been an off-day immi officer, but other speculation that there are other indications that immigration are concerned about the forgeable nature of income and a desire to keep younger people who have no wealth and forged income remaining in Thailland.

Sorry - no time to find that thread

OK thanks. Best not to re-open the debate on this thread then. The mods get prickly when closed topics start sprouting legs elsewheresmile.png (and it looks like there's good reason - to stop conjecture turning into panic!). I guess best advice would be, if I was on a marriage extension, I would not be reapplying at the last minute next time around.

Not really Steven. As long as you can qualify for a Marriage-Visa you can insist on such visa. The "Workload" of any given "Official-Visa-Monkey" is of NO consideration.

But yes, it is a fact, that the amount of money you have already invested here, is of no importance as far as any Visa-Situation is concerned, unless you can qualify for a "Business-Visa". But this requires a fixed investement in Thailand of many millions (not Thai-Baht= hard currency!)

Cheers.

"Official-Visa-Monkey"

A bit racist, don't you think?

Terry

What has the description of a profession (that applies all over the world as far as this is concerned) to do with racisem? If not sure about the term "Racism" = Google it, it might enlighten you as far as this is concerned.

Cheers.

"Official-Visa-Monkey"

Terry

Jumped up response don't you think, Terry ?

If you had been given TOTALLY false information by a public servant, and wasted considerable time and money in the process, don't think YOU might be irritated to the point where you might slip in slight slur ?

Racist it isn't - mildly insulting it might be.

"Official-Visa-Monkey"

Terry

Jumped up response don't you think, Terry ?

If you had been given TOTALLY false information by a public servant, and wasted considerable time and money in the process, don't think YOU might be irritated to the point where you might slip in slight slur ?

Racist it isn't - mildly insulting it might be.

I take it Kh Terry must be a TEFLr or such like, never worked with engineers, if he had he would have heard of such phrases as, grease monkey and spanner monkey.