Where To Go For Songkran?

mike_rad

I'm presently living in Pattaya, so I need to escape the madness that goes on here at this time. Was thinking of Cambodia. Does anybody know how their new year festivities compare to here? Suppose I could go to Vietnam, they celebrate it in January so no problem there.

Pattaya is insane for sure. But I'd hate to travel outside the country just to escape Songkran. I live down near the Ambassador and hardly even notice it's Songkran. I avoid Jomtiem and Pattaya all together. I shop at Makro or Tesco on Suk early in the day and head back to Ban Amphur after that. The celebration in Ban Amphur is only one day and it's quite tame.

If you want to get out, try Chantabuti. Only a short bus ride and the beaches are quite nice.

Just a thought.

From the Pattaya Mail:-

Off to Siem Reap

Friday, 15 March 2013

From Issue Vol. XXI No. 11

Editor;

Re: Pattaya officials begin Songkran planning (PM Friday, 01 March
2013) - I am off to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) over Songkran. It is
Cambodian New Year too, and they have water throwing, but it is strictly
forbidden in tourist areas
. So it should be in Pattaya and other
tourist areas.

Prakhonchai Nick

Bhutan

+2

Still the most magical place I have been. I've been there twice and the only reason I am not living there is to do so would require me to marry a local woman ... and I haven't found one yet. Heading back there in November.

David

Edited by Genericnic
  • Like 1

Anyone been to KK (Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia)?neus.gif

I was there a few years ago. Spent about a month in "Borneo" Malaysia. KK is OK. Not a lot to do. I got stuck there for 5 days. Tried to climb Mt. Kinabalu, but couldn't due to the weather. So just cooled my jets in KK and eventually gave up. Food is not very good. Decent hotels at a reasonable price. Seems to be a lot of Filipinos there. A very nice Shangri-la hotel there if you can afford it. Got to spend one night there and it was amazing. Beautiful beaches. Also spent a few nights on an island just off shore. Very peaceful.

I actually like Kuching better. Right on the river, some nice hotels with good views. And not too far away are some resorts right on the ocean. Spent about 6-7 days in that area also. Seemed to have better food options. I got introduced to Laksa Kuching there. Great little "bistro" near the river in a nice park. Fantastic.

The people there are quite nice. Very friendly.

• Like 1

Bhutan

+2

Still the most magical place I have been. I've been there twice and the only reason I am not living there is to do so would require me to marry a local woman ... and I haven't found one yet. Heading back there in November.

David

Do you get around the $250/day minimum or just pay up?

Bhutan

+2

David

Just pay up. The $250/day is the high season rate. Lower in the off season. Just remember, for that rate you get lodging, transportation, meals, driver, and a guide. And, of course, you get to visit a country that doesn't have KFC, McD, or Starbucks. That alone is worth something extra. If you want to see some images of the country or its people you can click on the links to my portfolio.

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last time i was in sianookville during songkran, i saw in total 5 small kids play with water,

they would not play with you unless you smiled to them -as in 'yes, i wanna play'

well i didnt smile so i was left alone.

Nowadays i buy a big-pack of noodles on 12th of april, and stay in pattaya, in my house/room,

doesnt make much of a difference if i stay home due to traffic jam or songkran, now that i think about it

Bhutan

+2

David

Just pay up. The $250/day is the high season rate. Lower in the off season. Just remember, for that rate you get lodging, transportation, meals, driver, and a guide. And, of course, you get to visit a country that doesn't have KFC, McD, or Starbucks. That alone is worth something extra. If you want to see some images of the country or its people you can click on the links to my portfolio.

David

Hello

Some lovely photos you`ve taken theresmile.png

Do you have to go as part of a group or could just 2 people go ?

Thank You.

As to Songkran, I`ve not arranged anything, so will mostly be staying in, naklua, not quite so bad there and avoiding central pattaya.

@seasia,

The first trip was with a photography group. There were 16 of us. The second time I went by myself. For smaller groups (3 or less if I remember correctly), there is a supplementary charge per day. I usually try to go just before or just after high season so that the decrease in the daily tariff offsets most of the supplementary charge. If you decide to go, let me know and I'll give you the address to a couple of Bhutanese tour agencies that I know personally.

David

p.s. Thanks for the comments about the pictures

Edited by Genericnic
  • Like 1

Bhutan

+2

David

Is there easy way to go there?

Bhutan

+2

David

Is there easy way to go there?

Hi Ashley

There are either direct or one stop flights from Bangkok on Druk Air.

David

Vitalheights, on 19 Mar 2013 - 23:22, said:

If you want to see typical songkran so Chiangmai is best. If want fun so Khao San road Bkk is best. If you want nudist party so chan resort chonburi.

Lampang and other northern cities are just as good. Perhaps they could be considered to be even better than Chiang Mai if you want a more local and less touristy experience.