If You Hate Thailand, Why Live Here ?

soi41

My post was intended to bring visa regime bitching into perspective, not encourage more.

I found the visa regime in Thailand the most onerous and least efficiently managed of all the countries that I've lived as an alien.

The inconvenience, the time spent at immigration, the quantity of documentation, the frequency of renewal and the amount of the passport taken up with stamps...

I don't think I would class that as hatred though

SC

That sort of moderate, considered response will win you absolutely no friends here, SC ! wink.png

Sadly, the Indonesian system seems even nastier, but it seems that if you pay Indonesians to do it for you, eventually you will get a long-stay visa. I'm going to check out a couple of visa agents in Singapore and stick my toe in the water for 3 months.

If I was wobbling my chuttocks at the cost of a pint or the latest fluctuation in the exchange rate, then I might be less sanguine.

As it was, we closed the office due to:

- the global economic downturn

- my own personal failings

- difficulty of doing business locally

- international uncompetitiveness due to

- relatively high tax compared to neighbours

- high administrative burden of compliance

- staff costs were no longer cheap due to exchange rate, need for additional provisions to compensate poor urban infrastructure

SC

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rather than comparing Thailand to its basket case neighbors, why not compare Thailand's visa regime to your home country's --- looking at it through a Thai person's eyes? And be grateful you have as much freedom as you do as a foreigner here.

Because, in my opinion, my home country is not a suitable alternative for a South-East Asian based business.

I have a couple of friends who disagree, but that is my opinion.

I was not comparing Thailand to it's basket case neighbours; I was comparing it to it's prosperous neighbours. I think that the technological infrastructure would render the basket-case neighbours unsatisfactory, and also the difficulty in attracting good staff to work there. I don;'t know of any companies in my industry working out the basket-cases

SC

Thailand has only one "prosperous" neighbor -- one that few people want to go to because the inherent racism and Islamic fundamentalism there is written into its laws to such an extent that even Malaysian nationals who are other than Malay stock are second class citizens.

Thailand has only one "prosperous" neighbor -- one that few people want to go to because the inherent racism and Islamic fundamentalism there is written into its laws to such an extent that even Malaysian nationals who are other than Malay stock are second class citizens.

We all have our prejudices.

I was taking a more biblical view of neighbours, rather than a fencing approach.

Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore were also easier and simpler. Also Dubai, but not so convenient for the South East Asia bit.

SC

Rather than comparing Thailand to its basket case neighbors, why not compare Thailand's visa regime to your home country's --- looking at it through a Thai person's eyes? And be grateful you have as much freedom as you do as a foreigner here.

As most of the Thais don't get the chance to travel, it is pretty hard for them to look it from an objective POV. Not saying that a lot of the westerners have that but they do have more experience, which makes it easier to make a comparison.

Some thought they were the big man here due to hanging around with very poor people and didn't like it when they found out they were completely insignificant to Thailand and were actually poor themselves compared to most middle class Thais and above.

Very good description of the Thai-bashing farang that claims to "not hate Thailand," but wants nothing to do with the Thais. They'll make up all kinds of excuses for their bigoted views, but deep down, they realize that they might actually be inferior to the Thais in many respects. They'll rant on TV because it's the only place where people will listen...or so they think.

Nurse, nurse, They're all out of bed again.whistling.gif

I have one word for you - Malaysia. As a Commonwealth citizen, I can stay in Malaysia for 3 months at a time and get my passport restamped after spending a couple of days getting drunk on Soi 4 seeing the temples in Bangkok. I can do this again and again and again and again, until I have no brain cells left whatsoever. It's pretty clear that I rock. ;)

But we farang should have carte blanche to settle where we like and be welcomed, we improve the conditions anywhere we go with our superior knowledge so freely dispensed to all and sundry, all this is our god-given right as superior beings!

There is something to this post that does strike a chord. Not that God was an Englishman,but the fact Thailand was never colonised was to its disadvantage,wherever the British colonised in the world they generally left a well organised and prosperous nation(what happened afterwards is not for comment)

The screaming comments a few years back from the editor of The Nation lamenting his fellow Thai to being 50 years behind the thinking pattern of neighbouring countries due to the above raised a few laughs.

Thailand nearly made it,if the aircraft carrier accompanying the Repulse and Prince of Wales had not rammed the reef,if Churchill had has his way and declared Thailand an enemy of the people after WW2,all would be so different,still Thailand staggers on leaderless,2015 I guess will be Thailand's watershed.

Yes Muslims in Malaysia,and the greater Indonesia pose problems,just ring fence the sods ,give them independence ie starve the sods,they are incapable of anything,the only way Indonesia is going is down the toilet. Always said Islam is a world wide club,joining qualifications are for the thickest,bone idle,dumbed down sods in the universe

Not that God was an Englishman,but the fact Thailand was never colonised was to its disadvantage,wherever the British colonised in the world they generally left a well organised and prosperous nation(what happened afterwards is not for comment)

The screaming comments a few years back from the editor of The Nation lamenting his fellow Thai to being 50 years behind the thinking pattern of neighbouring countries due to the above raised a few laughs.

That is funny. "Thailand 50 years behind her neighbors?" You mean Myanmar? Cambodia? Vietnam? Laos? If you believe that, then you Sir, need to quit smoking that funny cig.

• Like 2

I have one word for you - Malaysia. As a Commonwealth citizen, I can stay in Malaysia for 3 months at a time and get my passport restamped after spending a couple of days getting drunk on Soi 4 seeing the temples in Bangkok. I can do this again and again and again and again, until I have no brain cells left whatsoever. It's pretty clear that I rock. wink.png

As do I Mr Worldwide. Just did my visa run to Singapore, flew in, stayed 90 minutes then flew back. I know it is safer to actually stay overnight or a few days to make it look legitimate. But still got the 90 day visa stamp smile.png

What area do you live? must catch up for a beer. smile.png

I have one word for you - Malaysia. As a Commonwealth citizen, I can stay in Malaysia for 3 months at a time and get my passport restamped after spending a couple of days getting drunk on Soi 4 seeing the temples in Bangkok. I can do this again and again and again and again, until I have no brain cells left whatsoever. It's pretty clear that I rock. wink.png

Oh, man, I've walked away from replying a few times in the past thirty minutes.

I tried.

This is a perfect working example of the old maxim:

"Opportunity only knocks once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."

• Like 2

Well, take Australia for example, through a Thai persons eyes

1. Get married and it comes with perm residency which comes with all the rights of a citizen and few years later a passport

2. Open a business, get business visa and do not need WP as well as Visa's

3. Open a business and do not need to report every 90 days, just yearly visa renewals.

1. Get married and it comes with perm residency which comes with all the rights of a citizen and few years later a passport

3. Open a business and do not need to report every 90 days, just yearly visa renewals.

Sounds so easy...

Sounds so easy...

Nothing is easy but is doable, while being married to a Thai does not get you anything everwai.gif

Sounds so easy...

Nothing is easy but is doable, while being married to a Thai does not get you anything everwai.gif

Malarkey.

It gets you a shortcut to citizenship, a massive discount on the cost of PR, and a special visa class just for you...among other things.

Your Thai honey can't even go to Oz for a holiday without going through a denigrating visa application procedure that assumes she's a prostitute until she can prove otherwise.

whistling.gif

• Like 2

And keep in mind the powers that be here would not like to see their country be as open to global commerce as Singapore Hong Kong etc.

They would much prefer to be a big fish in a small pond, hold onto their big slice of a small pie rather than let the whole pie grow out of their control.

The welfare of the nation as a whole (as in the common people and unborn generations outside their own family tree) is not high on the list of priorities for those that hold the real power here.

Anybody tell me what a TEFL'er is. mentioned in a previous post.

Teaching English as a Foreign Language,just below African Ice dealers,Pimps,Ladyboys and Thai Politicians on the popularity and respect ladder!

Well there you go.....and which one are you.

I have to say, I've never found Singapore to be like that wink.png

Sounds so easy...

Except possibly in the poor house with not a pot to piss in.

Teaching English as a Foreign Language,just below African Ice dealers,Pimps,Ladyboys and Thai Politicians on the popularity and respect ladder!

Well there you go.....and which one are you.

The one who answered your question,or did your Alzheimer's kick in and you'd forgotten?rolleyes.gif

I have to say, I've never found Singapore to be like that wink.png

Ah Singapore,the worlds most boring and expensive city country!whistling.gif

why, i'm not a teacher but this confuses me, why do they bother the old expats so much.

Edited by muythai2013

It will be to my everlasting shame I lasted as long as I did in Thailand

.With a 95% population of available slave labour to hand that is still firmly attached to the tree,absolutely no conception of right or wrong,rotten to the core ,with a smiling face I willingly give up my slice of happiness.

I want OUT,and am getting OUT...Christ give me freedom from this lot

• Like 1

It will be to my everlasting shame I lasted as long as I did in Thailand

.With a 95% population of available slave labour to hand that is still firmly attached to the tree,absolutely no conception of right or wrong,rotten to the core ,with a smiling face I willingly give up my slice of happiness.

I want OUT,and am getting OUT...Christ give me freedom from this lot

PSEUDOLUS LIVES~!

• Like 2

Sounds so easy...

Utter nonsense.

It gets you easy 12 month extensions of stay with no need to show any proof of funds, and then after 5 years you can get a Thai passport of you wish.

If you are a female.

• Like 1

why, i'm not a teacher but this confuses me, why do they bother the old expats so much.

-

Actually it's the old expats that have to struggle on TEFL wages that draw the most disdain, most realize the youngsters are just doing it for a temporary adventure, similar to a gap year experience much of the time, have other careers in their future.

Those that have put their nose to the grindstone and lived mainstream sensible lives and can afford to live on their retirement arrangements obviously look down their noses on those forced by poor planning to keep teaching into their 80's.

Utter nonsense.

It gets you easy 12 month extensions of stay with no need to show any proof of funds, and then after 5 years you can get a Thai passport of you wish.

If you are a female.

-

Why on earth does anyone have a problem with this? We take tremendous advantage of the patriarchal culture here, why hold a grudge in the 1% of the time when it's not in our favour?

The proof of funds required is such a tiny amount compared to what you actually need for a secure life here, it's fair enough that the Thais feel anyone who finds this requirement a problem isn't welcome here.

Really they should require proof of 10x this amount before allowing a marriage license to be granted, would protect all those young brides scammed into marrying kee nok's without a pot to piss in.