Roll Up Bamboo Shades

bjohn34

At the shop on Chang Moi that sells bamboo shades,mats, etc. Going down from the moat on the (L) hand side. I believe the 2nd soi - on the corner.

Bargain with the woman. Was there recently and got her down 30%. She made a miserable, unfriendly face but took the money just the same.

What is the best way to stop mould growing on them?

Can bamboo blinds be spray painted or can we buy them already painted, I could do with some white ones myself and I was hoping that would inhibit the mould as well.

Or any other ideas to protect them better?

What is the best way to stop mould growing on them?

Can bamboo blinds be spray painted or can we buy them already painted, I could do with some white ones myself and I was hoping that would inhibit the mould as well.

Or any other ideas to protect them better?

I wish I knew myself. We bought some bamboo floor mats and within about 45 days they were already moldy. Tried washing them and sun drying them for days, mold grew back immediately.sad.png

To keep the mould from coming back on the mats/blinds put some bleach in with the water when you are washing them. It should stop it for a while.

Oh, I didn't mention I sprayed them with straight bleach from the bottle and it had no effect. Maybe even worse now.

Maybe spray with petrol and light a match, if that doesn't stop mould I don't know what will.

INDEX furniture have a large range of blinds, wood, fabric and roller-style - many imported and not seen elsewhere. Perhaps not suited to the OP's purpose but worth noting.

Thanks for that, I never even thought to check there. Will pop in later today for a peruse!

To keep the mould from coming back on the mats/blinds put some bleach in with the water when you are washing them. It should stop it for a while.

Oh, I didn't mention I sprayed them with straight bleach from the bottle and it had no effect. Maybe even worse now.

Maybe spray with petrol and light a match, if that doesn't stop mould I don't know what will.

Bleach and other chemicals will only clean mould, temporarily. The problem is mould spores like damp;humid, dark conditions; hence the underside of bamboo floor mats is the perfect home.

The problem will exaccerbate in the humid season not only on floor mats but all organic matter, furniture, fabrics, paint.

The answer is to clean and wipe often as the black type mould is a toxic mould and can lead to.....the same effects as this dam-n smog.

With regard to blinds, the easiest option is to get a louvred blind, wood or aluminium; they are easy to maintain and aluminium will not attract moulds.

A few places down Chang Moi will make to measure aluminium blinds; but off the shelf from home pro, though a bit expensive and will not have the size you will need.

Another option is feasible is to by some tinted window film; just spray the glass with soapy water and slide in position and "squeegy" out the water/air bubbles.

window films come in all different "darkness" grades as anti glare; anti heat, low emissivity to suit your needs. The place I go for this: Tippane Rd, off south side of moat, next after siam city....about 300m down on the left.

chok dee!

Try a mixture of vinegar and water to stop the mold . I bought some cheep furniture that kept developing mold wiped it about four time with a 50 /50 mixture and the mold stopped

Oh yes, thanks for that. I'd completely forgotten about vinegar as an excellent cleaning agent!

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your kind responses.

Found them at Kam Tieng. (next to Lotus) 1.5X2 meters and 2X2 meters.

Laid on heavy TOA water proofing to each side. (hope this will last.)

Heavy galvanized pole and 3 bolt secure caps at Global.

Multiple zip ties to hold the shades on the pole. (invisible)

Fantastic effect in the house, no more sunlight on the sliding doors, cooler.

Can watch the TV, very nice lighting ambience in the living room with the doors open

and screens closed.

Can see out but the sunlight does not come in.