Accepting Credit Cards Online

Does anyone have experience obtaining a merchant account to accept online credit card payments. I have a website through which I would like to sell my photography. I am based in Bangkok and would like to be able to accept credit card payments in USD. If anyone has any information, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Bobcat

Bobcat,

The most recent discussion on the subject is here Accept Credit Card Transactions On-line.

Many US/Europe mechant service providers (also paypal) will not get involved with you if your based in Thailand.

What many people suggest is that you open an account using your home address (ideally you'll be from an accepable country i.e. US, UK, Europe) and have the funds deposited there, then obtain them in Thailand via a linked ATM card. Which provider? no idea, maybe the forum members can help, anyone?

If you want to open a Thai account (do it properly) then you need a company, and that's going to be expensive if you don't have one already (and probably not to sell some photos, no offence). The cheapest and most reliable option (if you do have/want the whole Thai setup) would appear to be with Siam Commercial Bank, or Thai Farmers Bank (now Kasikornbank), they are 'proper' banks, you'll need to be trading for atleast a year and be reputable. I've heard good things about Bank of Asia.

There is another company offering services in Thailand AsiaDebit, who now offer a service called PayZip (but they will hit you 5% on all transactions and their ATM (no doubt US or offshore based) might give you a poor exchange rate and deduct service charges). Another company doing 'interesting' things with worldwide payments is ikobo.

With all of these systems, don't just look at the percentage of the transaction, try to work out how much it will cost you to get the money in your hand in Thailand, i.e. exchange rates, ATM service fees, bank transfer costs etc...

Make sure you do your homework on these or any potential provider, these days with communications and the internet any kid in his bedroom can easily look like a worldwide corporation, it's a jungle out there!

Further reading on all the companies is available on Google!

J

Thanks for taking the time to respond JR. I have a company set up in Hong Kong that has bank accounts with Standard Chartered. I also have a personal account here with HSBC (and have had for the past 4 years). I guess I'll try to check with them and see what they say but I may end up trying to do it from HK as it may be easier.