The New Honda Forza 300Cc

Rickster

I currently ride a Silverwing 400 which is a great scooter and took me all round Europe last summer in trouble free comfort!

As I have now achieved my touring dream, and ride almost exclusively around the city of Vienna, I am planning to downgrade my twin cylinder power for the Forza when it arrives here.

The main advantages for me are that I will achieve a 50% + improvement in fuel economy, a lighter (20%) and more agile bike, a new Honda with a 4 year warranty, and no loss (possible gain?) in storage capacity. I will of course lose my top speed of 155kph (Forza 140kph?), but I never took my SW up to this speed anyway....... The one big unknown for me is how much (if any) acceleration I will forfeit?

Has anyone here ridden a Silverwing who now owns the new Forza and can give a comparison on the acceleration between the two?

SteVe :)

If i were you steve, frankly i never change a japanese made 400 cc twin silverwing with a thai made 300 cc single forza.

I dont think so you will ever feel the lightness or agility more than a silverwing. Yeah you use a liter more per 100 km but otherwise you cannot keep up with highway traffic and inclines of europe - thailand is flat mostly - and some more power is handy in terms of any danger and tight situation.

Yeah forza looks good, there was one parked next to me today, looks comfy and easy twist and go but a silverwing is a reference for a maxi scooter including forza.

For thailand, forza might be a good idea though.

Edited by loserlazer

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Loserlazer,

Your comments are of course all valid and appreciated, but ...........................

Oh well, until I can actually test ride one of these Forza's in 3 or 4 months time I will continue to enjoy the thirsty power of my Sliverwing :)

SteVe

I apologize if this question is plain stupid… Please help – I have no idea where else to
get the answer…

When I bought my Forza, I asked the dealer specifically about what type of gasoline to

use. He said “95 preferred, 91 minimum”. I asked about gasohol – just to make
sure. He said “under NO circumstance!! Or you damage your engine”. In half an hour
I stopped by the station – too excited about my brand-new bike – filled it up with
91 and went on. After riding it for 3-4 days I suddenly remembered very VIVIDLY
– it was 91 Gasohol that I filled it with, not gasoline!! Looked like a
horrible mistake! Bike, however, seemed to be fine with it.

I went to the nearest Mityon and asked the manager to translate whatever they say in Thai

about the fuel on pages 10 and 30 of Owner’s Manual. He reads it and says “91
minimum”. I asked about Gasohol again – he says “91 Gasohol minimum”. I told
him the dealer told me not to do it… He says “He didn’t know what he was
talking about… Gasoline 91 is NOT used anymore in Thailand”. Big surprise!!! Did I
miss something while I was sleeping?? w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Guess what, I go to the nearest PTT station (I use only those as I was duped at some other
stations). I see, they sell Gasohol 91, Gasohol 95, Diesel, one more thing (I
think it was E20) – but NO Gasoline. I doubled checked at two other PTT
stations – same story. I remember it well, pure 91 had a red sign at every PTT
station but it is gone! Looks like this guy KNEW what he was talking about...

Then finally, on the front cover of Owner’s Manual I see 2 circled signs, with 95

(orange) and 91 (green) – looks to me like a clear indication that Gasohol is
indeed OK for Forza. Well, then here comes another question – if I fill it with
pure 95 (not Gasohol) by any chance – will it be bad at all on the engine??

Now I need to make a decision – I got around 3 liters left and I rode around 210 km on that first fill up… Can somebody clear these questions once and for all ??

Edited by MichaelPattaya

Yeah, well, I just bought a Yamaha for my girlfriend and I noticed straight away that the bike's handling was terrible even given its 12 inch wheels. Later I noticed that it would bottom out on speed bumps even at low speeds. Turns out the dealership did not put any air in the tires.. neither tire that is on a brand spanking new bike. We were running 3 to 4 pounds of pressure in tires that no doubt call for 35 pounds. Bike's a different animal now but that goes to show that the attitude of Mai Pen Rai simply doesn't get it when it comes to cars and motorbikes.

Thanks for the info Rickster!

Very impressed with your first service story ................ Well done on getting your future services free!

What are the service intervals for the Forza?

SteVe smile.png

Every 6000km but as i did with the PCX, i'll change every 3000km as it does more good than harm and it's 260B a time plus the cost of the filter, which is yet to be confirmed but i'm guessing no more than 400B...

Thanks for the info Rickster!

Very impressed with your first service story ................ Well done on getting your future services free!

What are the service intervals for the Forza?

SteVe smile.png

Every 6000km but as i did with the PCX, i'll change every 3000km as it does more good than harm and it's 260B a time plus the cost of the filter, which is yet to be confirmed but i'm guessing no more than 400B...

The warranty book for my PCX150 requires a 1000k service and then every 4000k after that. Nat Motors here in Chiang mai wants there customers in every 2500k

Yeah, well, I just bought a Yamaha for my girlfriend and I noticed straight away that the bike's handling was terrible even given its 12 inch wheels. Later I noticed that it would bottom out on speed bumps even at low speeds. Turns out the dealership did not put any air in the tires.. neither tire that is on a brand spanking new bike. We were running 3 to 4 pounds of pressure in tires that no doubt call for 35 pounds. Bike's a different animal now but that goes to show that the attitude of Mai Pen Rai simply doesn't get it when it comes to cars and motorbikes.

I have had tires on PCX filled to 60 I bought my own air guage

I apologize if this question is plain stupid… Please help – I have no idea where else to

get the answer…

When I bought my Forza, I asked the dealer specifically about what type of gasoline to

use. He said “95 preferred, 91 minimum”. I asked about gasohol – just to make

sure. He said “under NO circumstance!! Or you damage your engine”. I

– it was 91 Gasohol I filled it with..

Gasoline 91 is NOT used anymore i

Then finally, on the front cover of Owner’s Manual I see 2 circled signs, with 95

(orange) and 91 (green) – looks to me like a clear indication that Gasohol is

indeed OK for Forza. Well, then here comes another question – if I fill it with

pure 95 (not Gasohol) by any chance – will it be bad at all on the engine??

Now I need to make a decision – I got around 3 liters left and I rode around 210 km on that first fill up… Can somebody clear these questions once and for all ??

Yeah you'll never damage anything by using real gasoline - anything that is made to run on gasohol mixes can run on actual benzine (after all, even gasohol 20 is still 80% real benzine). I think the dealer is an old fashioned kind of guy - It is true your Forza was made to be able to use gasohol, but obviously it would be better to avoid that nasty stuff if you could, alas nowadays it isn't so easy. I use PTT's yellow benzine 95 in all my bikes, even though it is 47 or so per liter. Its still available up here in Isaan, I don't know about where you are - might take a bit of hunting to find it.

I was in BigC extra Pattaya yesterday and BigWing have bikes on show, Forsa is159 K bath but probably only the bike, then comes plate & Reg.

They also had all the Vespa models, ranging from 87K bath to 316K bath for the 300cc. The 300cc Vespa is very nice but 2X price Forsa, no thanks.

Yes I know that BigWing don't sell those models, but there was a big sign saying: BigWing.

They also had the 3 different 500CBR models and this big auto bike to app 500K bath, forgot the name.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Yeah you'll never damage anything by using real gasoline - anything that is made to run on gasohol mixes can run on actual benzine (after all, even gasohol 20 is still 80% real benzine). I think the dealer is an old fashioned kind of guy - It is true your Forza was made to be able to use gasohol, but obviously it would be better to avoid that nasty stuff if you could, alas nowadays it isn't so easy. I use PTT's yellow benzine 95 in all my bikes, even though it is 47 or so per liter. Its still available up here in Isaan, I don't know about where you are - might take a bit of hunting to find it.

Thanks a lot. Now I found PTT stations with yellow 95 benzine for 46 and a change baht per liter..

Thanks a lot. Now I found PTT stations with yellow 95 benzine for 46 and a change baht per liter..

Does it show the fuel required on the front of the owners manual. It has done on both my cbr250 and the gf's Wave 110i.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I run mine on E20, it states on the user manual, 91 and 95 gasohol plus E20, tried all and seems to run better with better fuel return on the E20. Luckily, there are now a few stations selling it in Phuket.....happy days.

Just to add, on the back of an informative post by Richard-BKK on fuel octance level and advanced ignition timings etc etc, I kinda got what he was getting at. Prior to this i had always avoided 91 gasohol like the plague as to me it was the worst possible fuel for a scooter. However with the manufacturers actually promoting a 91 gasohol sticker next to the filler, I filled my wifes new Click with it ans surprisingly it ran really well, actually better than the 95 i normally put. So there is obviously a reason why the 91 sticker is evident....go with the manufacturer and not what you think is right!!

I run mine on E20, it states on the user manual, 91 and 95 gasohol plus E20, tried all and seems to run better with better fuel return on the E20. Luckily, there are now a few stations selling it in Phuket.....happy days.

Just to add, on the back of an informative post by Richard-BKK on fuel octance level and advanced ignition timings etc etc, I kinda got what he was getting at. Prior to this i had always avoided 91 gasohol like the plague as to me it was the worst possible fuel for a scooter. However with the manufacturers actually promoting a 91 gasohol sticker next to the filler, I filled my wifes new Click with it ans surprisingly it ran really well, actually better than the 95 i normally put. So there is obviously a reason why the 91 sticker is evident....go with the manufacturer and not what you think is right!!

The manufacturer is not recommending or promoting 91 gasohol over other fuel options. It is just telling the user what fuel options are appropriate for the bike. And there are many more factors to consider than just how the bike "seems to run". Moreover, it is impossible to come to any conclusion on performance from one or a few fill-ups on one or two fuels -- fuels can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and the storage tanks can have water and contaminates seep into them that will affect perfomance. The is one good thread in the motoring forum that discusses the various fuels available now in Thailand. One post notes:

No, the other way around.. 91 and 95 "benzine" have no ethanol, they are merely "unleaded" so better top end lubrication as a rule then ethanol products. Any ethanol product therefore from 95 on down to E20 etc. contain ethanol of gradually higher percentages and provide less top end lubrication the higher the ethanol content.

An engine designed to withstand the lower lubrication levels (E20 for example) is ok though but it's really an unknown (at least to the general public) as to exactly how much additional wear and tear and shortened engine life in the end, is actually caused by it's use. No one is going to advertise the damage done and say it's no good as then the fuel companies can't sell it and the car companies get hammered for advertising it's benefits and the surrounding technology they're trying to promote.

Just to add, that the lead added used to be added for this purpose of top end lubrication, but now it's no longer added for decades."

Anyone that wants useful information on gasohol fuels can read the full thread -- Difference In Fuel 91, 95 Benzene, Gasohol, E20?

Started by Paangjang, 2011-12-13 12:41. As a general rule, I would not use E20 and certainly not E85 if i cared about my bike and planned to keep it for a long time.

Never forget what you think is right, I change the oil in my bikes religiously every 1000 km. Why? Because I think it is right -- to hell with the manufacture's 5,000 km oil change recommendation. I think it helps reduce the wear and tear on my bikes (it sure can't hurt). And if I'm wrong, I have wasted B480 every 5,000 km. I can afford that.....

Edited by Thailaw

If you follow the manufactures recommendations and adhere to their service intervals, then your warranty will always be valid. If you want to go beyond the call of duty then up to you, each to their own. Personally i never keep any vehicle for more than 3 years.....so i'll just follow the guidelines, and lets not forget, at the end of the day, it's only a scooter wink.png

Edited by Rickster

If you follow the manufactures recommendations and adhere to their service intervals, then your warranty will always be valid. If you want to go beyond the call of duty then up to you, each to their own. Personally i never keep any vehicle for more than 3 years.....so i'll just follow the guidelines, and lets not forget, at the end of the day, it's only a scooter wink.png

You seem to go from one extreme to the other. First, you want to change the oil filter at 1000 km because of "microscopic particles" that might be in the oil, and next you only care about keeping the warranty valid. I have read that Honda, in a bow to the environmentalists, on its new cars is now recommending changing the oil filter every other oil change (on new cars that's every 10,000 km for the oil and 20,000 for the filter -- not sure about bikes -- so no filter change on the first oil change). And there is no recommended oil/filter change at 1000 km! If you never keep any vehicle more than 3 years why does any of this make any difference?? You will not see any effect from oil/filter changes in the first 3 year of a bike's life -- you probably don't even need to change the oil, just top it up (except of course for the warranty requirment). Again, I would always change the oil and filter at 1000 km on a new car/bike, never wait 10,000 km to change the oil, and never change the oil without also changing the oil filter, no matter what the manufacturer "recommends". I always use gasoline/benzine whenever I can get it (especially on my older Honda Shadow), and now that it is virtually non-existent in Thailand use E10 gasohol. Maybe it is "overkill", but it is what I "think is right!!" -- that is what rules and always will. I try to keep myself informed so that what I think is right IS right, which goes way beyond relying solely on the manufacturer's recommendations for fuel and maintenance. YMMV, and no doubt will....

You seem to go from one extreme to the other. First, you want to change the oil filter at 1000 km because of "microscopic particles" that might be in the oil, and next you only care about keeping the warranty valid. I have read that Honda, in a bow to the environmentalists, on its new cars is now recommending changing the oil filter every other oil change (on new cars that's every 10,000 km for the oil and 20,000 for the filter -- not sure about bikes -- so no filter change on the first oil change). And there is no recommended oil/filter change at 1000 km! If you never keep any vehicle more than 3 years why does any of this make any difference?? You will not see any effect from oil/filter changes in the first 3 year of a bike's life -- you probably don't even need to change the oil, just top it up (except of course for the warranty requirment). Again, I would always change the oil and filter at 1000 km on a new car/bike, never wait 10,000 km to change the oil, and never change the oil without also changing the oil filter, no matter what the manufacturer "recommends". I always use gasoline/benzine whenever I can get it (especially on my older Honda Shadow), and now that it is virtually non-existent in Thailand use E10 gasohol. Maybe it is "overkill", but it is what I "think is right!!" -- that is what rules and always will. I try to keep myself informed so that what I think is right IS right, which goes way beyond relying solely on the manufacturer's recommendations for fuel and maintenance. YMMV, and no doubt will....

I changed the oil and filter at 1000km because that's what the service book requirements are and the reason for this is because of possible metallic particles.....what's wrong with that??

I maintain the bike as per the service requirements to keep the warranty valid.....what's wrong with that??

As i said it's a scooter when all said and done, my Ducati, MV, BMW get more TLC because they are a finely tuned piece of engineering and a hell of a lot more money so going beyond the call of duty is in my own interest, which i do with great care.

By doing the basics and maintaining the scoot as per manufacturer, I don't have to worry too much as these things are usually bullet proof, especially for the 3 years that i'm riding it for.

Btw i'm an a Aircraft engineer so i do realise the importance of engine maintenance but also know where to draw the line of importance between a finely tuned masterpiece and a single cylinder sewing machine.....btw not entirely sure where your Shadow falls in these categories.....just sayin coffee1.gif

Edited by Rickster

Jesus H if it upsets so many of you change it back, i just thought it would help people looking for info on the Forza and doing a search using the search function. I even asked the Mod in question to seek permission from the other thread starter first as i felt it was polite to the member. The other thread is only closed not deleted so the info is still there.......here is a link to it....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610197-new-honda-pcx-300cc-available-in-thailand/

Sometimes i think you guys just come on here to seek arguments not bike info....go join a knitting forum instead!!!

"go join a knitting forum instead!!!" Could you try and stay on topic......plus the mods don't want you in their knitting circle anyway! rolleyes.gif

Dude... cmon, be a little more tolerant. maybe tips on knitting would be helpful here. Like knitting a carbon fibre 'chain-maille' suit of armor so we'll all be Fortuner-Tard proof.

Took my Forza for it's 1000km first service. Now knowing full well this bike has an oil filter my main concern is whether they would be clued up enough to change it with the oil. I watched in the customer area and low and behold only oil changed not the filter. So before banging them to rights I gave Brian a call at Sumet and asked him to confirm that the oil filter should be changed at 1000km. Of course the answer was yes, so in i went to confront them with this info. I pointed out the oil filter on the bike and said in Thai to change "bian". All the mechanics said no need but more to the point they didn't have any stock and to seal the deal they didn't have the tool to remove the filter, I felt like saying "What, not even a long screwdriver"!!!

Anyway, i was getting no-where fast and demanded to see the manager. Manager came, looking none too happy and greeted me with i'm busy....can you be quick!!! Quick on the uptake, I retorted with "Busy learning the procedure of how to service the new Forza so you can teach your staff properly" to which he looked bewildered....I then went on to explain about oil and filters should be changed together on a service. He asked me if i was a qualified motorcycle mechanic to which i replied "No, not exactly but i've been an Aircraft Engineer for Rolls Royce for over 20 years, does that count" to which he promptly invited me to his office. No idea why but his whole demeanor changed and was suddenly keen for me to impart my knowledge so he could improve his service wherever he could. He made a few phone calls to confirm what i'd said about oil and filters and then apologised profusely at questioning my stand, explaining mine was the first to come back for the 1000km service and they were still learning about this bike.

Anyway, as a result, he has ordered 5 oil filter cup removal tools and more importantly 20 oil filters for his stock. He also said he would service my bike for the next 3 services for free inc parts for bringing this to his attention!!! beggars belief blink.png

I think they haven't changed the filter at my 1.000km service in Pattaya too - but i hope it will be fine and i will follow uo at the next service. But they hav ordered a new rear wheel as there is some noise (clicking while accelerate from very low speeds). But have to wait for delivery 1 to 2 weeks at least - will be done foc/warranty.

MrJ, I would change the filter if i were you, as the first 1000km on a new engine is the most likely time the engine will yield any excess metallic debris, all be it to a microscopic extent but even so, with these low friction liners etc. The likelihood is, there wont be much if hardly at all due to machining tolerances and manufacturing technology these days, unlike days of old where you could physically see shards of metal come out of an engine sump. Did your dealer know how to reset the oil change warning light, mine didn't but i figured it out myself from experience with other bikes in the past......didn't tell them though biggrin.png

I will change the filter myself when the part arrives. Best to do it first thing in the morning while the engine is cold and the oil is settled down south for less spillage and mess. For the sake of 260B i'll drop the oil again just for peace of mind so i know everything no foreign bodies still exist within the oil.....

Just back from Honda Mytion Patttaya/Sukhumvit Rd. and got finaly my new oil filter and oil changed after 2000km(1st oil service at 1kkm without filter replacement) - also got my rear wheel including new tire, disk/break and main rear shaft replaced on warranty as there was an minor noise fro that area, i had to wait 1month for the delivery, work was done in about 1.5h - i just learned that there is now an official Honda recall regarding that matter and every Forza shhould get new rear wheel FOC - waiting/order time at least 2 - 3 weeks. All i paid was oil (engine & transmission) and filter, so total 860 THB.

Cheers Mr. J

Edited by MrJ

latest price update:

Mytion Sukhumvit165K net + tax/insuramce/plate

small shop(neutral dealer) app. 100m towards south on Sukhm. beach/Pattyaa side 157K net - 2 of my buddys just purchased the white one today right away for cash, also there is no compulsary 2 years burglary insurance for 4k neccesary as Mytion claims.

What kind of mileage are you guys getting off a full tank?

I just got mine a week ago and its drinking the gas super fast.

First time I filled it up coming home from buying it I put 200baht in her, that was good for half a tank. 2nd time I again put 200 baht in but this time is shows as a full tank.....<deleted>!?

The guy at Honda told me to use Gasohol 95 is that what you guys use?

First time I filled it up coming home from buying it I put 200baht in her, that was good for half a tank. 2nd time I again put 200 baht in but this time is shows as a full tank.....<deleted>!?

I have 2.000km on the clock and I use gasohol 95 and driving with about 3.6l/100km or 28km/1l - exactly what the computer displays. Last time i had 300km with the tank and refiled 11.2l - so pretty empty. The gauge shows already empty/red area from around 200km. So for me I start looking to refill from 250km.

Cheers Mr. J

I

All I can say is if your not happy with the acceleration install a Mallossi Multivar variator. The difference is between night and day. A good mechanic can install in less than a hour.

Mallossi Multivar variator.

Hey can I perk up my Phantom with one of those?

Or anything else?

I have 2.000km on the clock and I use gasohol 95 and driving with about 3.6l/100km or 28km/1l - exactly what the computer displays. Last time i had 300km with the tank and refiled 11.2l - so pretty empty. The gauge shows already empty/red area from around 200km. So for me I start looking to refill from 250km.

Cheers Mr. J

Oh ok so when fuel gauge shows at basically empty you can still get another good 50-75km out of it?

So when I filled it up it probably had 2-3l still in the tank...When you fill it to the brim does the gauge stay on Full for awhile when driving it?

Cheers Mr. J

Oh ok so when fuel gauge shows at basically empty you can still get another good 50-75km out of it?

So when I filled it up it probably had 2-3l still in the tank...When you fill it to the brim does the gauge stay on Full for awhile when driving it?

yeas almost 100km with no movement - but was the same with the PCX

Love the Forza but try to find a sound signal for my left/right blinker lights. I used to have it long time ago in my bike but I cannot find a simple switch that warns me with a sound to turn of the blinking light. Suggestions are welcome

Look at the warning lights on the dash surely??.....unless you're blind then you shouldn't be riding anyway wacko.png

Love the Forza but try to find a sound signal for my left/right blinker lights. I used to have it long time ago in my bike but I cannot find a simple switch that warns me with a sound to turn of the blinking light. Suggestions are welcome

is available at any better car bike accessory shop - e.g. Pattaya Thai 3rd Rd. opposite Mytion dealer

Look at the warning lights on the dash surely??.....unless you're blind then you shouldn't be riding anyway wacko.png

He said SOUND! If you are constantly looking at the lights on the dash then you shouldn't be riding any way! huh.png How many people with very good eyesight drive a very long time with their directional signal still on (and yes, with the warning light on the dash flashing) after the turn is completed -- too many, including me! I keep my eyes and my attention on the road in front of me and not on the dash. It is distracting and dangerous to drive with the signal light still on and to the people driving around him. A sound alert would be very helpful, even if your eye sight is 20/20. I enquired today about having them installed on my PCX and my Forza. And that was before reading this post. And my eyesight is 20/20. Next.........