Looking For Mexican Restaurant

Guest chingy

im looking for a mexican Restaurant in bangkok, does anybody know any. i have a favorite place i always go to, but it seem to close down. :o

Try Senor Pico in the Rembrandt Hotel - excellent food if a little expensive.

I agree that Rembrandt's Senor Pico is the best Mexican food that I have had in Bangkok.

Dont waste your money/time at Tia Maria on Soi 23 or Gordo's on Silom/Soi 6 (I think). I plan to try the Mexican buffet at Bourbon Street (Suk Soi 22) one of these Tuesday evenings as I have heard good reports.

it is adviseable to start your own mexican restaurant. Most of the ingredients are commonly available...just have to make your own corn tortillas. Get yourself a container and load up some chefs with all their cooking paraphinalia onto a ship on the west coast. You can get a machine to make the corn tortillas to bung in or if not the chefs can bring their wives along to make tortillas the traditional way...bring the corn and lime and pat, pat over the comal to produce the real stuff. As an LA native you ain't got suitable mexican food without fresh corn tortillas.

Chiles, tomatoes, pork and chicken available locally...might want to raise turkeys locally for pavo en mole. strike a deal with Cerveceria Moctezuma for a supply of Tres Equis and Superior beer and you're in business. Once the locals got hip khao man gai and kwieteo would disappear from the local food stalls.

and you heard it here first. Forget nachos and fajitas...the mexicans would just say 'que dice ese gabacho cabron?' Liberate Thailand from their terrible street food.

Try Tia Maria on Sukhumvit Soi 23. The food is fairly authentic, although keep in mind this is Thailand, not Tiajuana. Can't amember exactly what we have had, but it is good enough that we usually visit when we are in the area (which isn't often enough.) The tortilla chips are a heckuva lot better than "Danitas" (Yuck!)

I don't think the prices are too expensive, but OTOH, when you gotta have a fix, does the price really matter? I suggest the following:

1) Get a couple friends

2) take 1,000 Baht

3) find restaurant

4) eat and drink till baht is gone

5) stumble home

6) repeat

Here are my notes on how to find it:

Directions: Sukhumvit Soi 23, turn right at Hotel (3-way intersection), turn left at "Narcisus" sign (Pegasus Club), Restaurant is on left. Park in small Soi next to restaurant, or at Yong Trade building. Open 1100-2300

If you visit, keep track of the prices and the dishes you have, and kindly report back to us here.

Cheers

I went to Tia Maria this after noon for lunch, the place is not to hard to find, and yes the parking is a problem, you can't park on the side of the road, luckily i manage to park in the small alley next to the Restaurant.

to grade the food taste from A-F, i would give it a C+.

this is what i had for lunch:

beef-Fajitas- 190baht

Enchilada- 180baht

(combo-of-6) -280baht

appertizer- 60baht

drinks- 80baht/glass

to me i think the price is cheap, reasonable.

shee-it...you spent US$20 on your lunch that would cost less than $10 in LA and for second rate food anyway.

Get some pirates and pressgang the arrangement that I previously discussed...get rich...once the world knows about LA style Mexican food enslave your kitchen staff and place armed guards at the entrance...

How does Senor Pico rate compared to a cheap Burrito place on Mission Street in San Francisco? I would be glad to pay big bucks for the real deal, but I have never had good Mexican food anywhere in South East Asia or Australia and I don't want to waste my time on the imitation stuff that is in all the other restaurants on this post (Senor Pico is the only one that I haven't tried).

get outta here georgie...the best taqueria in the Mission is on Valencia near 16th...can't remember what they were called, almost 25 years ago. I lived up 16th and around the corner on Albion Street.

Don't expect to get nothing like what we were used to in SF anywhere outside of California...you only have to go as far as Oregon or Washington not SE Asia to see what I'm talking about.

So if you look at a local 'mexican' place and the menu and the prices are outrageous retreat to macDonalds or a pizza place...that's as close as you're gonna get to home.

unless...your lady complains about how much she loves margaritas...a good investment as bottle prices for tequila locally are ridiculous (600-700 baht for an unknown brand?)

I live next to the border, down southern Cali SD, everytime we are hunger for mexican food we always cross the border to tijuana, have a good meal and some drinking, head home afterward.

yes its very hard to find a good real Mexican food in Thailand, but when you have the urge for it, you just wanna try anything that come close to the real thing

chingy...you should have revealed yourself as a carnal then we wouldn't have to go round and round.

you understand what me and georgie are talkin' about...

Dr PP I call this thread to your attention...a base subterfuge for obtaining information on suspicious expats. No probs with georgie as he is 'semper fi', ie. ex US Marine...but me...I was called a subversive by my sixth grade teacher...I had a stutter and she was a speech therapist and she wore lovely low cut summer dresses in SoCal and had such lovely freckled breasts...I have always been a loyal American...

get outta here georgie...the best taqueria in the Mission is on Valencia near 16th...can't remember what they were called, almost 25 years ago. I lived up 16th and around the corner on Albion Street.

Don't expect to get nothing like what we were used to in SF anywhere outside of California...?)

That is what I was afraid of Tutsiwarrior!

Chiang Mai

The "FISH and CHIP SHOP" on Ratchawitti Road, near the three kings monument. The owner used to be a cook in a Mexican Restaurant before opening her place. The menu is big and not expensive. Excellent.

Chiang-Mai

Some people say that the chili con carne is much better at THe MAD DOG.

• 2 months later...

Taqueria Loco is the best in that neighborhood, as I remember. On 16th, between Mish & Valencia... Best damned burritos and salsa in SF, in my experience

Yes, the Mexican food in Thailand is not what Americans or Mexicans expect. In my experience, not worth the money even for the fix factor, and kind of sick making because the substitutions can be vile.

But I really do not understand WHY?

So many other cuisines are available in Thailand at a better standard than the Mexican; for examples French, Italian, American, etc.

Is it that the world people that really can tell the difference are mostly Americans and Mexicans, so there is no demand to do it right? I have had bad Mexican food in South America and Europe as well.

People who know the San Francisco Mission District burrito joints, imagine, just imagine, if this existed in Thailand. Don't you think it would be packed? With adventurous Thais too. I do.

There might be hope for the longer term future. McDonalds owns a chain of upscale Taquerias called Chipotle, and believe it or not, much as I detest McDonalds cuisine, the Chipotle burritos are excellent and would more than satisfy those who know California burritos. They are a successful FRANCHISE. Maybe they can go to Thailand someday?

Taqueria Loco is the best in that neighborhood, as I remember. On 16th, between Mish & Valencia... Best damned burritos and salsa in SF, in my experience

Nah best burritos are at Gordos on 15th Avenue Clement in SF!

The best is any house along the RIO GRANDE around SOCORRO NEW MEXICO,,,,,ROZALES GREEN CHILLIS..... THE BEST.... Everything smothered in cheese and green chilli sauce,,,, and if you get a little bored you can have the red chilli sauce.......

JOSE'S CANTINA in Nong Kai has the best Ive had in Thailand,,, Last time I was there we drank STRAWBERRY MARGIRITAS as they were in season then.... Pithers of margaritas and pitchers of bloody mary available cheep... FAVORITES there are chicken cassadillio and chicken burritos smothered.....

I've been really Jonesing for a good Mexican meal!!! Yeah, Senor Pico's is ok, but really expensive. I'll have to try that place on Ratchawiti - thanks for the tip Chaing Mai! I used to run over to Oakland a couple of times a week (from Alameda) to a couple of Taquira's that made absolutely killer food for next to nothing. :o I could go without McDonald's for the rest of my life without a problem, but I really miss a good Burrito Al Pastor or Chile Verde!

HORSESHIT; the best taco's and burrito's in the whole ###### world is in a small taquria on the corner just 1 block down from the post office in Point Loma,Shelter Island,San Diego area.kinda behind and around the corner from DOWNWIND Marine store.

Carne asada with guacamole,fresh corn tortillas,about 4 of and you have hurt yourself.

CHINGY

if i were in LA that would be a different story right, yes nothing taste better than real mexican food.

###### I knew it,,TOMY,how did you sneak back in here?

Nah best burritos are at Gordos on 15th Avenue Clement in SF!

Yes, best Tourist Burritos :D

And Clement street ain't in that neighborhood. Clement street is for Yuppies...and tourists :D

If you have a kitchen, any Mexican food can be made here in LOS, as all the ingredients are available in any Thai fresh market. Edible corn and flour tortillas are manufactured in Bangkok, too, along with corn chips,- though I much prefer mine, made from corn tortillas cut into eights and fried... :o

I agree about the Gordos "tourist" burritos, but I still ate a lot of them as I lived at 47th and Geary for quite a while.

I'll tell you what, Mission Street is better, but still, I'd happily pay 1,000 baht for a Gordos chicken super-burrito right about now! :o

Gordos was actually on (I think) 25th and Geary, with Clement one block away towards California Street.