Matchima Faces Wait For Thai Cabinet Seats

webfact

Matchima faces wait for Cabinet seats
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The chances that the Matchima faction would get into the next Cabinet look slim even though it has switched from the opposition Bhum Jai Thai to the ruling Pheu Thai, as there is a long queue of party stalwarts yearning for a ministerial post.

With the passing of Chumpol Silpa-archa, a deputy PM and the tourism and sports minister, and the defeat of the party's candidate in the Bangkok governor election, PM Yingluck Shinawatra is forced to make changes to her team.

Pheu Thai Party leaders are evaluating underperforming ministers and would submit a report to ex-pm Thaksin Shinawatra. Ministers at risk of losing their portfolios include Natural Resources and Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboon, who is likely to be replaced by Wisarn Thechatheerawat, a former Thai Rak Thai MP from Chiang Rai and confidant of Yongyuth Tiyapairat.

Deputy Industry Minister Thanit Thienthong, who is under the quota of Snoh Thienthong's Wang Nam Yen faction, may be removed because of a perceived lack of outstanding achievements.

Deputy Transport Minister Prasert Chanruangthong, who is seen as not pushing proactively for the Bt2-trillion transport systems, may also be kicked out so that other northeastern MPs can take over this major project. Thaksin's close aides, however, argue that Prasert has been on the job only three months so it is too early for a performance appraisal.

Moves to include the Matchima faction of Somsak Thepsuthin in the fourth Yingluck Cabinet have upset many senior Pheu Thai MPs who have been waiting a long time for their turn. These party heavyweights believe the Matchima members did not join forces with the party in the political struggle and were not under the banner of Pheu Thai like them.

Matchima had been expected to land one seat in the Cabinet line-up expected to be completed this month.

Paijit Srivarakan, a Pheu Thai Party MP for Nakhon Phanom, said Matchima should be patient since it is halfway on its political journey with Pheu Thai.

It would be more graceful for them to wait till the next general election and then form the new Cabinet together because the public had decided to give Pheu Thai a landslide mandate in the previous general election, while Matchima won fewer seats and fell into the opposition camp.

The Pheu Thai-led government is already robust enough and bringing more MPs under its wing will not automatically lend more stability.

"We need not only quantity but also quality for democratic development,'' he said.

Pheu Thai heavyweight Yaowapa Wongsawat, Thaksin's sister, has wanted Matchima aboard to fortify the party's base in northern areas.

However Paijit said if the new members are not sincere and honest, what was supposed to strengthen the party may actually weaken it.

"If Matchima had really wanted to join us, they should have done so when the election was just over,'' he said.

Sura Techatat, spokesman of the Palang Chon Party, denied that his party was seeking a place in the Cabinet, saying the party had not made such a move and no one had invited it to become a member.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-18

Maybe the Skype link with Dubai is down ! Interesting though is the line that says senior PTP will forward evaluations to Thaksin so am I right in thinking there is less and less inclination to deny he's running the show which is the worst kept secret in Thailand anyway. All of it undermines Yingluck who really has stop insisting she's in charge

• Like 1

Rather amusing the comment concerning the fact that many members of this current maladministration who are members of the P.T.P. (Parasites and Ticks Party) are waiting their turn on the cabinet merry go round.

Plainly there is a time period allowed for each rider on the merry go round to collect as much commission as possible as their reward for being dutiful puppets

Yet again we see so clearly that this current maladministration is being manipulated from Dubai by a convicted bail jumping felon.

Indeed it is three ring circus with clowns ''par excellence.''

Sadly though whilst we are pontificating and laughing at these clownish activities the country is being edged nearer to financial ruin and a totalitarian dictatorship or even worse yet more civil disorder where the only losers are going to be the man and the woman on the street.

Why are they going to be the losers?

Because of the financial debacle that will ensue when the bills start rolling in for the proliferate spending on the multitude of assorted scams schemes that are being mooted and approved to further line the pockets of the merry go round riders will leave the country and its peoples mired in debt bondage

Hence this will mean there wont be anywhere else for the ordinary man and woman to live but on the street as money will be as scarce an item much as honesty is in this current maladministration.

However there is one train of thought that crosses my mind and I am sure the minds of others here in T.V. that perhaps all Is not sweetness and light in this current coalition thus the recent moves to shoehorn another family member into the control room in an attempt to strengthen what may well be a weak hand that Thaksin is holding.

Perchance the minority parties are staring to realise where the current maladministration and its policies road is leading to and they are becoming a little more self protective and considering where their loyalties (and income too) may well have to lie in the not too distant future..

Thailand ought to have a lottery for ministerial posts...I'm sure those chosen through the luck of the lottery would do just as good--if not better--a job.

This approach would also give everybody a chance to have a government uniform with all kinds of medals, ribbons, and bling on it.

• Like 1

Thailand ought to have a lottery for ministerial posts...I'm sure those chosen through the luck of the lottery would do just as good--if not better--a job.

This approach would also give everybody a chance to have a government uniform with all kinds of medals, ribbons, and bling on it.

It's quite interesting to read from many posters that due to lack of brains Thailand can do nothing (or very little right) however, the country is flourishing and even making gains on the general standard of living and health care - including social security (Thai Rak Thai) where many people who are in employment can now get a pension - for a small fee (and free to some) people can take part in a health system (Thai Rak Thai). Free education for children (Thai Rak Thai)- free milk for school children (Opp's stopped by the Democrats)- Unemployment benefit (Thai Rak Thai)- University loans and less debt than The US, The UK, and most countries within the EU. Apparently there is no end to corruption? Well that is part of Thai custom and will never stop until the people demand it (I don't hear much demanding). Some posters seem to take corruption personally (I know , I know it effects my family but, most families pay it as it avoids problems that would otherwise have to be met - such as actually passing a driving test). 99.99% of ALL governments and in all countries are corrupt but, maybe they hide it from their voters more cleverly until the Sh** hits the fan? So, how about we begin to understand that Thai Government departments (although prone to putting their feet in their mouths possibly, to give us a laugh)are actually not as stupid as some would have us believe and are doing a better job than most of us posters would be capable of doing?

Maybe the Skype link with Dubai is down ! Interesting though is the line that says senior PTP will forward evaluations to Thaksin so am I right in thinking there is less and less inclination to deny he's running the show which is the worst kept secret in Thailand anyway. All of it undermines Yingluck who really has stop insisting she's in charge

This is the type of situation Thaksin must revel in as he dangles carrots to ensure people keep in line and sit up and beg in the hope of scraps from the table.

It's quite interesting to read from many posters that due to lack of brains Thailand can do nothing (or very little right) however, the country is flourishing and even making gains on the general standard of living and health care - including social security (Thai Rak Thai) where many people who are in employment can now get a pension - for a small fee (and free to some) people can take part in a health system (Thai Rak Thai). Free education for children (Thai Rak Thai)- free milk for school children (Opp's stopped by the Democrats)- Unemployment benefit (Thai Rak Thai)- University loans and less debt than The US, The UK, and most countries within the EU. Apparently there is no end to corruption? Well that is part of Thai custom and will never stop until the people demand it (I don't hear much demanding). Some posters seem to take corruption personally (I know , I know it effects my family but, most families pay it as it avoids problems that would otherwise have to be met - such as actually passing a driving test). 99.99% of ALL governments and in all countries are corrupt but, maybe they hide it from their voters more cleverly until the Sh** hits the fan? So, how about we begin to understand that Thai Government departments (although prone to putting their feet in their mouths possibly, to give us a laugh)are actually not as stupid as some would have us believe and are doing a better job than most of us posters would be capable of doing?

Some of your quotes are true, but some are mistaken:

Social security (started by TRT, increased by the Democrats), Health Care for a small fee (TRT, free under the Democrats), Free education (Democrats, not TRT), free Milk (TRT, replaced by free education and allowance for school uniforms and books by the Democrats, which in turn was replaced by Tablets by PT), less debt than The US, The UK, and most countries within the EU (Dept was increased 'off the books' by TRT when Thaksin borrowed money from Singapore - an interest only loan- to pay off the World Bank loan, then openly by the Democrats & now PT is shifting the debt to government banks so it doesn't show as a government debt).

Some of your quotes are true, but some are mistaken:

Social security (started by TRT, increased by the Democrats), Health Care for a small fee (TRT, free under the Democrats), Free education (Democrats, not TRT), free Milk (TRT, replaced by free education and allowance for school uniforms and books by the Democrats, which in turn was replaced by Tablets by PT), less debt than The US, The UK, and most countries within the EU (Dept was increased 'off the books' by TRT when Thaksin borrowed money from Singapore - an interest only loan- to pay off the World Bank loan, then openly by the Democrats & now PT is shifting the debt to government banks so it doesn't show as a government debt).

I stand corrected - memory fades as one gets older!