How Do You Get International Driving Licence?

Oink

I have a five year car licence and would like to get an IDP for trips overseas. Have tried asking at Land Transport but just get blank stares!

Looked in Motoring Forum but I guess that the people who know dont visit it!

Thanks

Oink

What I do on a yearly basis is go to the Transport office in Chonburi on Sukhumvit rd by taxi for 800 baht and it takes about 1 hour and 500 baht good for 1 year.

Bring your Thai licence and all the normal paperwork like passport/visa copy etc. It is very painless. Pattaya does NOT issue IDP's.

There's that "affidavit of residence" thingy again. Like my 5-year licence or immigration extension is not good enough?!?!?! Means another trip to soi 5 Jomtien.

Sorry. Rant Off.

Carry on . . .

Noooo, it means get a yellow book, this is the best thing since sliced bread...

There's that "affidavit of residence" thingy again. Like my 5-year licence or immigration extension is not good enough?!?!?! Means another trip to soi 5 Jomtien.

Sorry. Rant Off.

Carry on . . .

Intriguing. Can a long term renter get a yellow book? I'm not married and not living with the GF but, actually, maybe I could swing that with the GF who's renting a shophouse long term. Does that work? Thanks.

Sorry. Rant Off.

Carry on . . .

A letter from Immigration is probably a cheaper way of getting proof of residence than getting a yellow book, as that also involves getting married to a Thai .....

A letter from Immigration is probably a cheaper way of getting proof of residence than getting a yellow book, as that also involves getting married to a Thai .....

Huh?

Yellow book has nothing to do with being married, but rather with owning property.

Mostly condo's for foreigners, but can also be a house built by a foreigner (e.g. building permit in foreigner's name on leased land).

Excellent thank you. So all I need to do is pop down to imigration, get a "proof of residence" and take a drive up to Chon Buri.

Don't use Google as I object to my actions and emails being monitored by the US government!

David48 I hold a UK passport but left 15 years ago so I do not want to pursue a UK IDP! Plus I do not have an address there any more as I sold up and have retired in Thailand!

Oink, if it is for a trip back to good old blighty, you may not need an IDP

https://www.gov.uk/non-gb-driving-licence

I still hold my UK Driving license but we are off to South Africa and Australia!

http://idl-iaa.com/ try this one very easy and quick service from the US. I got my 10 year IDP in 8 days

Edited by ianwrd4

Oink, if it is for a trip back to good old blighty, you may not need an IDP

https://www.gov.uk/non-gb-driving-licence

I still hold my UK Driving license but we are off to South Africa and Australia!

http://idl-iaa.com/ try this one very easy and quick service from the US. I got my 10 year IDP in 8 days

Those IDP are not legal...wink.png ....a legimate IDP is only valid for 1 year, further you paid $ 50 for a document thats not worthe the paper its written on a legimate IDP is only about $16 in Thailand...so youve been ripped off as well

Edited by Soutpeel

Excellent thank you. So all I need to do is pop down to imigration, get a "proof of residence" and take a drive up to Chon Buri.

Don't use Google as I object to my actions and emails being monitored by the US government!

David48 I hold a UK passport but left 15 years ago so I do not want to pursue a UK IDP! Plus I do not have an address there any more as I sold up and have retired in Thailand!

I'm in the process of doing mine with the RAC. Download the form, send a copy of your UK license and a PP sized photo. I spoke to them said I was living in Thailand and needed it delivered to a different address than on my UK license they said NP we can even post it direct here.

IDP with 2 day express service 15gbp....

Can i drive bike on this road ?

Dir
ections To Land Office
I live north of Sri Racha so the directions start at the Sriracha Mall on
Sukhumvit (Robinson’s Dept. Store). Go about 20 kms. on Sukhumvit. Eventually, you will see
Carrefour and Big C on your right. From Big C go 1.2 kms. and bea
r left at the sign that says
Chonburi Bypass. Go about 2 kms. and bear left at the sign that says Bangkok 361. Continue about
11 kms. and bear left at the Chonburi 3 sign (Sukhumvit Rd.) The Chonburi 3 sign is just past a Shell
station on the left. Continu
e about 2 kms. (1.2 kms. from a tall white office building on the right) to the
Land Transport Office on the left. At the entrance, there is a pedestrian walkway over Sukhumvit from
which a blue sign in Thai with a left arrow is hung. Drive into the entran
ce and ahead of you will be
the ―Drive Thru For Tax‖ lanes.. When you reach the ―Drive Thru‖ area make a left and then the
License Building is immediately in front of you.
If you want to use the Motorway and know how to get to Bangkok 361, the trip will t
ake quite a bit less
time. For the return trip to Pattaya, exit left onto Sukhumvit and make an immediate u
-
turn. Then, in
-
2 kms., follow the sign for Bangkok 361 and then watch for signs to Pattaya/Rayong.
If you have a Garmin GPS, on the menu, go to ―
Community‖, then Government Office and then spell
―Chon Buri Land Transport‖. On my Garmin model, I only found the Land Transport Office when the
word Chonburi is spelled as 2 words
---
Chon Buri.

What I do on a yearly basis is go to the Transport office in Chonburi on Sukhumvit rd by taxi for 800 baht and it takes about 1 hour and 500 baht good for 1 year.

Bring your Thai licence and all the normal paperwork like passport/visa copy etc. It is very painless. Pattaya does NOT issue IDP's.

I got my international drivers permit in Pattaya.....giggle.gif

Don't sign in to Google , don't connect Google to your email, use a proxy or VPN when using Google, opt out of any sharing in settings, use Ghostery , use no script, use cookie cruncher .use better privacy, etc. ++++++++++

Search all these and many more on Google. Don't be paranoid Google has billions of search's every day, looking for info about a license to drive in Thailand, is not going to get your door kicked in

I got my international drivers permit in Pattaya.....giggle.gif

you may of picked up in Pattaya but dont Pattaya send theirs to BKK...how long did it take for you to receive it and what did they charge you ?

1) Pattaya does NOT issue IDP's. Soutpeel is correct you might have just picked it up here.

2) I don't see what all the complication is about. Just do as I did. Taxi from my home to Transport office in Chonburi and home because he waited for me (30 minutes = 800 baht. IDP = 505 baht. Total = 1305 baht. Easy and done.

Oink, if you hold a current UK driving licence you will not require an IDP for Australia or South Africa, providing you are not staying longer than the allowed periods, Australia is up to 3 months (if you hold a permanent visa), no time limit mentioned if just having a holiday, South Africa is up to 12 months. Check out these 2 links from the UK FCO:

Australia

South Africa

Scroll down to the "Road travel" section on both links.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the International Drivers Permit at the Bangkok Land Transport Office at Bang Chak, Sukhumvit soi 99/101? And is a certificate of residence definitely needed? I rent, and got a certificate of residence from Immigration in January to get my 5 year licence but hate to have to go back up to Chaeng Wattana for that again :)

Cheers,

TG