Ground/minced Beef

suegha

This weeks chili ingredients:

Made about 15 litres of chili.

I have made many Chillies and not too long ago I heard of one which uses Cocoa powder. I believe Mexican chefs have been using it for centuries. My 2lbs mince recipe requires 2 tablespoons of Cocoa powder. The recipee also requires some celery. I didn't have any of this so I put in some celery salt. It really does add something to it. I add a few whole cloves too. Best chillie I have ever made.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made many Chillies and not too long ago I heard of one which uses Cocoa powder. I believe Mexican chefs have been using it for centuries. My 2lbs mince recipe requires 2 tablespoons of Cocoa powder. The recipee also requires some celery. I didn't have any of this so I put in some celery salt. It really does add something to it. I add a few whole cloves too. Best chillie I have ever made.

the classic mexican dish 'pavo en mole' uses 5 different types of chiles and chocolate for the mole sauce...

the classic mexican dish 'pavo en mole' uses 5 different types of chiles and chocolate for the mole sauce...

I will look into this one. I have read that the cocoa is the 'secret' recipee for this one.

eegafay,

Interesting videos on Thai cooking. Cheers.

Well, I know the Spanish have been using chocolate in cooking for ages.. an idea they pinched from South America then ?

totster :o

Well, I know the Spanish have been using chocolate in cooking for ages.. an idea they pinched from South America then ?

totster :o

from Mexico, actually...a sort of cocoa drink was the nectar of Mexica and Aztec emperors...one of the things that Cortez and his band of pirates picked up on their arrival...

OK....back to Thai. I am tempted to make a Larb sometime in the future. That recipee on Thaifoodtongiht asks for ground beef. I seem to be only able to get minced around here. Is there a great difference or are they different names for the same? Can I use beef mince to make the Larb or should I do something to the mince?

I think that "minced" is Brit-speak for the North American "ground beef."

Maybe chili con carne seems like it's only 30 years old (to Yorkies, the new kids on the block), but San Antonio (when Tejas was part of Mejico) invented it in the 18th century....and yes, chocolate or chocolatl is a Nahautl (Aztec) word from prior to the Conquest.

Sorry, this isn't exactly a Thai food topic. Trying to make it one - didn't most Thai chiles originally come from Mexico? And aren't squash, pumpkin, chocolate, cocoa, potatos, and countless other ingredients all from the New World?

Thanks for that Peace. I know we have digressed a little from Thai havn't we.....but cooking is about experimenting and fusion isn't it. I am looking at the Larb presently as I love Chilli. It just seems an oriental version of it don't you think so? Thanks for the info on Cocoa. Cocoa really has made my Chillies that much better along with a few cloves of course.

There are two main theories as to how Cortez managed to conquer a huge country so easily, and I've invented a third:

a. The Aztec religion made the Mexican king think that Cortez was the god Quetzlcoatl, so the king surrendered.

b. Cavalry and firearms helped the Spanish conquistadores to beat the enemy, who only had spears, etc.

c. The king, Moctezuma, was so busy eating honey and chocolate that he never even noticed the conquest until it was too late.

Back to Thailand: Siam was never colonized because the farang were so busy eating Thai food that they didn't bother to colonize.

There are two main theories as to how Cortez managed to conquer a huge country so easily, and I've invented a third:

a. The Aztec religion made the Mexican king think that Cortez was the god Quetzlcoatl, so the king surrendered.

b. Cavalry and firearms helped the Spanish conquistadores to beat the enemy, who only had spears, etc.

c. The king, Moctezuma, was so busy eating honey and chocolate that he never even noticed the conquest until it was too late.

Back to Thailand: Siam was never colonized because the farang were so busy eating Thai food that they didn't bother to colonize.

you forgot pestilence...smallpox intoduced by the Europeans decimated the local population that had no immunity to the disease...

tutsiwarrior, BA, Latin American History

Edited by tutsiwarrior

OK....back to Thai. I am tempted to make a Larb sometime in the future. That recipee on Thaifoodtongiht asks for ground beef. I seem to be only able to get minced around here. Is there a great difference or are they different names for the same? Can I use beef mince to make the Larb or should I do something to the mince?

do you intend to use uncooked ground beef for the larb? In Issan they use uncooked ground pork...could never understand why there is not wide spread trichinosis (sp?) in those parts...maybe thais got an immunity that falangs ain't got...maybe falang adventurers who attempted to conquer Siam were fed Issan larb and died en masse as a result...

tutsiwarrior, revisionist historian extraordinaire...

• 3 months later...

Maybe chili con carne seems like it's only 30 years old (to Yorkies, the new kids on the block), but San Antonio (when Tejas was part of Mejico) invented it in the 18th century....and yes, chocolate or chocolatl is a Nahautl (Aztec) word from prior to the Conquest.

Sorry, this isn't exactly a Thai food topic. Trying to make it one - didn't most Thai chiles originally come from Mexico? And aren't squash, pumpkin, chocolate, cocoa, potatos, and countless other ingredients all from the New World?

That's interesting PB, oh learned and respected moderator, (a member of the foody clique suffered at the hands of one this week so I'm getting an early grovel), I was under the impression that all of that family came from the Americas: chillies, tomatoes, capsicums (bell peppers), potatoes et al.... the Solanaceae family of plants, and Thai food was originally spiced with pepper, piper nigrum.

The excellent chillies were then introduced to Asia by the Spanish and Portuguese from their New World colonies.

I am prepared to be corrected on this though.

The excellent chillies were then introduced to Asia by the Spanish and Portuguese from their New World colonies.

That is the information I have also. First introduced to India I am led to believe.

Portuguese brought it in (from what I studied) to Malacca and Ayutthaya.

• 4 weeks later...

OXO beef stock cubes!! did you buy in Thai or have them posted from home? also looking for Marmite, never thought i would lust for these two items but need soo much now,, I make lots of sheperds pies with minced beef ect, but really need OXO to authenticate it, also marmite on toast for supper, rather than processed cheese with frenchs mustard {more like honey!!! } any source information will make me a complete happy man, thanks Jayenram, lickey,,

OXO beef stock cubes!! did you buy in Thai or have them posted from home?

As far as I am aware, they are not available in Thailand. Those in the picture were posted from UK. We are also lucky in the Surin area that many farangs travel to and from the UK during the year and are happy to pick up small items of ingredients that we miss here.

My latest 'courier' is bringing "Atora Suet Dumpling Mix". Perfect for the cold winter nights here. :o:D

Steak and kidney casserole with Atora suet dumplings, i could eat that right now in a sauna, please dont post any pics if make this, or roast rib of beef with freah veg and roast taters yorkshires, horseradish or colemans mustard, leg of lamb with mint sauce and brussell sprouts,roast parsnips and artichokes,and a bottle of red chardonay,

gotta stop now, doing myself and others no favours here, goodnight, Lickey..

Steak and kidney casserole with Atora suet dumplings, i could eat that right now in a sauna, please dont post any pics if make this, or roast rib of beef with freah veg and roast taters yorkshires, horseradish or colemans mustard, leg of lamb with mint sauce and brussell sprouts,roast parsnips and artichokes,and a bottle of red chardonay,

gotta stop now, doing myself and others no favours here, goodnight, Lickey..

This actually made my mouth water!!!

ps I have never heard of a red chardonay!

Sorry, got carried away a bit thinking of favourite dishes, had steak chips peas and oinion rings tonight so thinking better now, Try cherry brandy before the dishes mentioned in my other post, it makes empty stomach burn and really ready for a good meal,, the red wine i was thinking of is Jacobs Creek, red and totally nice with red meats,

Cheers, Lickey..

Steak and kidney casserole with Atora suet dumplings, i could eat that right now in a sauna, please dont post any pics if make this,

It's actually beef stew with spuds and carrots. And unfortunately I only had enough suet left for one dumpling. However, there's more on the way.

post-123-1176164003_thumb.jpg

Oooops! Sorry I posted a picture!

:o

Hi all. I notice this has been moved from the Thai food forum, and that's fine. However, if you check the op I was asking for Thai recipes. It's great how sometimes threads evolve. So bring it on, western recipes for Ground/minced beef.

Steak and kidney casserole with Atora suet dumplings, i could eat that right now in a sauna, please dont post any pics if make this,

It's actually beef stew with spuds and carrots. And unfortunately I only had enough suet left for one dumpling. However, there's more on the way.

post-123-1176164003_thumb.jpg

Oooops! Sorry I posted a picture!

:o

Lovely pic!! i fell on my kitchen knife drooling over pic!! but still kicking,

Have you Masterchefs got any ideas how to get the fat out of beef without an oven, we only have gas rings, i reckon that having a bit of beef dripping {lovely on toast! } perhaps with a bit of flour and seasoning, i could make some passable dumplings, any ideas please, Lickey..

Simple Lickey. Using a ring simply gently heat the mince/ground beef and ladle off the fat. Another way to to use a fairly fine strainer, dump the mince into it and put it back on top of the pan so that the fat drains through. Keep a small heat under the pan.

It depends on how fatty the beef is, but this will yield results.