Been Here 2 Minutes Know Everything Brigade

britgent

It depends. Some have been coming for that 2 weeks for decades and know quite a bit. Some have been living in Thailand for many many years and yet still either have their head in the sand or just have a hatred of other farangs and no Thai can do wrong attitude.

Those that have been living in Thailand for a long long time won't accept any view from those living for a shorter time. They think they know it all. It is those types that know jack shit.

No one knows absolutely everything about the country so sometimes the long timers will learn something, but will never admit it.

Does it matter though?

• Like 1

Been here 20 years, and still am only scratching the surface :lol:

A lot of it is objective anyway, but indeed part of the moderating job involves making sure no misinformation is posted, especially in the visa sction for example.

• Like 1

I know some folks who have been here mere months but know a sight more than some who have been here decades.

It really is one of the more bizarre 'contests' among 'expats' here.....

Nice post. I bet there'll be blood before the nights out...

Been here for 15 years and when there's something that I don't know, I just ask my Thai wife. She definitely knows everything, at least she thinks she does.

I've only been here for 5 months and each day I learn something new. I can't really count the one month back packing tour I took 10 years ago with a group of friends, other than to notice how things have changed physically... ie. there are new buildings and the traffic is heavier. Your personal age puts a different perspective on life. Things I knew for certain when I was 21 have changed quite dramatically now that I am 38.

And, everyone's interests are different. I never thought I would enjoy riding a motorbike so much. That alone has added a whole new perspective on life. Learning a tiny bit of the Thai language has allowed me to meet new people who I've grown to love. I'm also more confident in getting where I want to go. I have met many people who won't ride a motorbike or scooter, and consequently don't see the things I do. If I was a man who only visited the hooker bars at night and drank beer all day then that life would narrow one's viewpoint. And, living in a city like Bangkok would put a whole different perspective to living than being in some remote Thai village in Issan. There are different issues to deal with every day.

I don't think this answers the OP's question, but I'm fairly tolerant of someone else's viewpoint. If someone can prove me wrong then I'm quite willing to change my mind. Who was it that said... "I've been down so long that it all looks like up to me."

I've only been here for 5 months and each day I learn something new. I can't really count the one month back packing tour I took 10 years ago with a group of friends, other than to notice how things have changed physically... ie. there are new buildings and the traffic is heavier. Your personal age puts a different perspective on life. Things I knew for certain when I was 21 have changed quite dramatically now that I am 38.

And, everyone's interests are different. I never thought I would enjoy riding a motorbike so much. That alone has added a whole new perspective on life. Learning a tiny bit of the Thai language has allowed me to meet new people who I've grown to love. I'm also more confident in getting where I want to go. I have met many people who won't ride a motorbike or scooter, and consequently don't see the things I do. If I was a man who only visited the hooker bars at night and drank beer all day then that life would narrow one's viewpoint. And, living in a city like Bangkok would put a whole different perspective to living than being in some remote Thai village in Issan. There are different issues to deal with every day.

I don't think this answers the OP's question, but I'm fairly tolerant of someone else's viewpoint. If someone can prove me wrong then I'm quite willing to change my mind. Who was it that said... "I've been down so long that it all looks like up to me."

Rene, it's all a question of attitude. If your attitude is right (and your's certainly seems to be) then you'll be fine.

A wise old head once told me in my early days here that "if you embrace Thailand, then Thailand will embrace you in return Dookie (he was from Nottingham)".

Conversely, if you sit on your porch every night supping the 3 bottles of Leo your 'wife' allows you per day, griping about Thailand, then you're not going to bet along here.

And what I "know" about Thailand pertains only to that segment of the population and culture I interact with and have gained experience with.

A great example - someone recently posted about how all Thai women were now career-minded and unwilling to kowtow to their spouse.

Very much counter to my experience, but then I would never consider getting involved with a woman like that no matter the location, so there you go, horses for courses.

As with most aspects of life, most of what we "see" comes from who we "be", reality is pretty much a DIY affair. . .

• Like 1

There's already an active almost identical thread running in general.

No need to start a thread for every perceived / supposed 'brigade'

Cheers