Thaksin's Shadow Looms Large Over Yingluck's Govt

webfact

EDITORIAL
Thaksin's shadow looms large over Yingluck's govt

The Nation

The prime minister is not being helped by her fugitive brother's regular demonstrations that he is in charge of this administration

BANGKOK: -- With the government under fire over its attempt to raise Bt2.2 trillion for infrastructure mega-projects, anything that has the potential to divert public attention from the issue is viewed with great suspicion. The revival of the amnesty controversy might be one such distraction. But what about the latest high-profile Skype address to the Pheu Thai Party by fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra?

Apart from "advising" his party about current affairs, there is not much new. Thaksin is the party's real boss and he doesn't even try to hide it. The Skype contact emphasised the two key issues - the long-delayed amnesty plan and the borrowing for mega-projects. Both have generated heated debate and, in their own ways, affected the credibility of his sister's government.

Obviously Thaksin wants the two grand plans to go ahead. And as always, he focused on benefits and papered over flaws and shortcomings. It's debatable whether he can manage to dress up the two controversial agendas, but the much-publicised Skype communication has its own consequences affecting the Yingluck administration, regardless of whether a general amnesty is underway or whether the state is broke or not.

The biggest effect, of course, is that the overseas call confirms Thaksin's status as the ruling party's patriarch, but he has done this countless times before. Whenever his sister tells the international media about her "independence", he will pop up to disprove her words. We wonder if Yingluck cares, because she has never denied listening to Thaksin's advice. Only she knows whether what her brother does has crossed the advisory line into the realm of taking actual command.

Supporters of Pheu Thai or Thaksin might shrug it off. This is the way the "injustice" that befell them should be corrected, they say. But Thaksin pulling the strings from afar is witnessed by unsympathetic eyes as well. There are investors who are turned off by freak politics. There are those who don't like the government's amnesty plan, and Thaksin's conference calls simply galvanise them. There are foreign diplomats who are wondering what to do if "the other side" comes to power.

Everyone knows that Yingluck is not a seasoned politician. But if Thaksin thinks he is helping, he should think again. For one thing, Yingluck should be given a chance to serve as the elected prime minister, not a puppet premier. On non-Thaksin issues, she has not done too badly. What undermines her authority are the suspicious agenda items that have his shadow looming all over them.

The government is promoting "reconciliation". If the scheme really "has nothing to do with Thaksin", as the ruling party claims, he is absolutely not helping by popping up on Skype to ask Pheu Thai MPs to keep pushing for it. If the scheme really has something to do with Thaksin, the Skype thing is a negative and unwise political move.

As for the Bt2.2-trillion borrowing plan, economists and financial experts will continue to debate its pros and cons. It is already a highly controversial issue without Thaksin telling Pheu Thai, "You have to do it". When he touches upon an issue worth Bt2.2 trillion, tough economic aspects are further complicated by political ones.

Thaksin can help Yingluck - by staying away and keeping his mouth shut. It's already enough for her without him demonstrating that he is the real boss. If he thinks his Skype appearances will help her command respect in a massive political party, it could be rather short-sighted thinking. Yingluck's problem is not winning over Pheu Thai. As prime minister, she must be seen to be evolving positively because, like it or not, there are other parts of Thailand she has to serve, too. It's a mammoth task for her to win hearts beyond the "red" zones, but among the factors confining her is her own brother.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-19

• Like 1

Sister Yaowapha casts a larger shadow over Yingluck then brother Thaksin does.

I wouldn't put it past this family to engourage the dispelling of Yingluck just to get Yaowapa in the PM position. She is a much more forceful person than Yingluck. As a matter of fact I wouldn't put anything past this family.

• Like 1

Two words that are used almost compulsively by the local press: "hub" and "Thaksin". I'm starting to get sick of both of them.

Thaksin this and Thaksin that; hub this and hub that. When will it ever end????

Edited by Misterwhisper

Two words that are used almost compulsively by the local press: "hub" and "Thaksin". I'm starting to get sick of both of them.

When you stop repeating the words that you are sick of. smile.png

• Like 1

It would be interesting to get the feel from diplomats, ambassadors and the like, both here in Thailand and internationally, as to how they view the political shenanigans, family interests and etc., that dominate the media.

It seems each day there are more and more dramas unfolding.....

• Like 1

It would be interesting to get the feel from diplomats, ambassadors and the like, both here in Thailand and internationally, as to how they view the political shenanigans, family interests and etc., that dominate the media.

It seems each day there are more and more dramas unfolding.....

Agree Chris. Knowing the American culture I can see the personnel at the American Embassy in BKK laughing their ass of at these buffoons.

But are the Thai dynasties so very diferent from the American ones. In recent history we widely believed that President Kennedy recieved guidance within his catholic family and he in turn gave guidance to his brothers too. It is well known that president Bush (Snr) provided guidance to both of his sons, in and out of office, each of whom were considered as less than perfect from time to time. The main diference here in Thailand is the acceptance of corruption as long as the great and good are not excluded from the pickings. Indeed there is sparse evidence that Taksin dispersed wealth to the great and the good out of his golden hand, whether aquired legitimately of not. In America it is less different to Thai-ways than many of us would like it to be, except that evident corruption is usually put to the test of the law makers and at times the pubertrators face their day in court. Til now it is rare for corrupt Thai of any significence to be brought before the court. In this matter Thaksin is the exception especially in respect to the stringecy of his finacncial penalty. Such makes for continuing anxieties for the 'winners' and the fury of the looser.

I think Thaksin isn't concerned with Yingluck's credibility any more as her time is just about up. There is some speculation that Yingluck was being referred to when Thaksin said, "Some people want me to return home. Some say they love me, but they also say don't rush home because they may lose significance,''

It will be long before he call out, Yingluck you time is up, Yaowapha your next.

Third one is Sustainable ...?? Always there with the hub!

"It would be interesting to get the feel from diplomats, ambassadors and the like, both here in Thailand and internationally, as to how they view the political shenanigans, family interests and etc., that dominate the media.

It seems each day there are more and more dramas unfolding...."

Ummm... don't think there is much hope there as it seems that all related governments internationally these days only care about $$$ interest for themselves first and yes then for their country / people// This has become an International worldwide Maladie !! Sad but true !!

Thaksin WANTS the world to understand that he is in charge. No 2 ways about that.

Agreed But is that a positive thing I think not.

Investors would feel better if he was not in the picture.

He is to unstable to rely on. How many times does he say one thing and turn around and say the opposite the next day.

Investors with that kind of money are going to be looking for a little more security than Thaksins ramblings.

I wouldn't put it past this family to engourage the dispelling of Yingluck just to get Yaowapa in the PM position. She is a much more forceful person than Yingluck. As a matter of fact I wouldn't put anything past this family.

What you say makes sense on the face of it.

How ever I don't think Thaksin would allow some one with a back bone into the position.

Thaksin WANTS the world to understand that he is in charge. No 2 ways about that.

He is to unstable to rely on. How many times does he say one thing and turn around and say the opposite the next day.

Investors with that kind of money are going to be looking for a little more security than Thaksins ramblings.

If he wanted the world to know he would have announced it on CNN, the fact it was leaked from a private cabinet meeting indicates he wanted only his party to know. The fact it was leaked shows not all his cabinet whole heartedly supports him.

Sure he and she is the only one's ho can develop Thailand !!!

Maybe yes maybe no

The question is what will they do not what can they do.

My money says they would both be a lot richer and the rice paddy worker no better off than he is today.

If he wanted the world to know he would have announced it on CNN, the fact it was leaked from a private cabinet meeting indicates he wanted only his party to know. The fact it was leaked shows not all his cabinet whole heartedly supports him.

Agreed

Makes no difference how it happened it did and as you say it shows a crack in the PT walls.

Perhaps the two S-Clan members ought to settle things, with a mock-sumo-wrestling bout, ticket-sales to raise funds for a suitable charity ? rolleyes.gif

Perhaps the two S-Clan members ought to settle things, with a mock-sumo-wrestling bout, ticket-sales to raise funds for a suitable charity ? rolleyes.gif

:thumbsup:

There are no weight divisions in professional sumo, and considering the range of body weights in sumo, an individual wrestler can sometimes face an opponent twice his own weight.

Sumo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is like a replay of the quarrelsome English royals and nobility in medieval times.

When Thaksin has decided that he has no further use of the Red Shirts, their leaders might want to bone up on Wat Tyler and Jack Cade.