6 Month Validity On Uk Passport - Issues

Hi again

I have been speaking to immigration staff regarding a Tourist visa issue.

As per previous postings, we are applying for tourist visas next week, probably in Savannaket.

I currently hold a Type B, my wife and son a Type O - these expire on the 31st March as my contract has ended.

The adviser told me that we need at least 6 months left on the UK passport before they can issue a tourist visa in Laos.

I thought these rules had changed?

Anyway I explained that my wife is a Thai citizen as well and that we have a flight booked and paid for to the UK om 22nd April next month.

Should this suffice, or could there be a problem over the border?

Thanks in advance

smile.png

I should also point out that my wife's Type O visa extension of stay does not expire until 10th Jun 2013

Perhaps she should stay in Thailand until we fly out as opposed to risking non re-ntry or entry into Laos

Edited by chonabot

Entry into Thailand now only requires that your passport is valid for the duration of the intended stay, however the consulate might have stricter rules to issue a visa and that might be 3 or 6 months.

In addition, if you go to Laos, Loaotian immigration requires a passport validity of 6 months! You might indeed have a problem at the border.

With proof of Thai nationality or proof of having it in the past your wife can easily get a 1 year extension of stay for 1,900 baht. There were some problems with her passport if I recall correctly, but if is she can proof she has Thai nationality you could try to get a 60 day extension of stay to visit her.

To enter Laos you need 6 months on passport and for issue of a tourist visa. Six month rule only applies for entry at airport or border.

Since your wife is Thai you can get a 60 day extension of stay to visit your wife. You would need original and copy of marriage certificate, wife's ID card and house book. Plus copies of your passport pages and TM6 departure card and photo for application. Your must also go with you when you apply.

You could apply for the extension on date your job ends or before with letter from employer requesting your current extension be cancelled.

If your son is under 15 years of age he would not be charged overstay on departure so he would not need a visa.

With proof of Thai nationality or proof of having it in the past your wife can easily get a 1 year extension of stay for 1,900 baht. There were some problems with her passport if I recall correctly, but if is she can proof she has Thai nationality you could try to get a 60 day extension of stay to visit her.

Thanks Mario

She now has a new Thai ID card, after much hassle, should this plus a Thai Birth Certificate be ok for the prcoess?

Chon

If she has a ID card then she should also be in a blue house book. That should be all that is needed.

I suggest she get a Thai passport for future trips or even get it and make trip out an back and then re-entering on her Thai passport.

Is your wife the mother of your son? If yes then he is also a Thai citizen.

• Like 1

The Thai ID card proofs that she is Thai. She should get an extension of stay without any problems. The only question is if they will give you a 60 day extension, as your wife entered on a foreign passport. Best to check with your local immigration office how they feel about that.

The Thai ID card proofs that she is Thai. She should get an extension of stay without any problems. The only question is if they will give you a 60 day extension, as your wife entered on a foreign passport. Best to check with your local immigration office how they feel about that.

Speaking to them now - Cheer s:)

If she has a ID card then she should also be in a blue house book. That should be all that is needed.

I suggest she get a Thai passport for future trips or even get it and make trip out an back and then re-entering on her Thai passport.

Is your wife the mother of your son? If yes then he is also a Thai citizen.

Thanks smile.png

We have had a few issues with the Blue book due to her name being removed....long story.

The next time we return, we will be passported to the gills!

We went to SK Immigration today regarding my wife's soon to expire passport, looking for an extension of stay based on her Thai Nationality.

My own passport expired 2 days ago, I got a replacement in January.

My wife brought all of our passports to the office in Feb for the 90 day report ( Type B and Type O for her and son )

She asked the officer about transferring my stamps to the new passport and he said not to worry, it would be ok to do next time we came.

Anyway we asked about this process today, the same guy denied this and made a big song and dance of it.

We were polite and after about 2 or 3 hours he swapped the stamps over begrudgingly.

Then he said that he could give us all extension of stays for 60 days!

I was due to go to Laos next week with my son to get a Tourist visa to allow us to stay until the 22nd April.

This was great news, we got the stamps and now do not have to make the run.

The cost was 1,900 for my extension, wife and kids was free.

Was Tea money mentioned?

Not saying...............

wink.png

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1